Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/19/2017 2:20:48 AM EDT
Getting a new to me Kayak on Wednesday and I am anxious to try it out on the 25th or 26th in Clear Lake or Galveston Bay.  I was wondering if anyone wanted to tag along, actually let me tag along with them.  I have kayaked before but it was just recreational stuff around Key West and river stuff around San Marcos.  This time I am hoping to fish from a Kayak for the first time.

The kayak I am getting is an Ocean Kayak Big Game 2.  Has rudder, bending branches paddle, lowrance elite 4 dsi, rod holders, anchor trolley and anchor.  I am making a stake out pole and buying a PFD this week along with a cooler.  I need to buy some poles and license but will also take care of that this week.  I should be fairly equipped in everything except the skill.  I haven't fished for sometime and havent kayaked for some time.  I kind of don't want to go on my maiden voyage alone so hopefully we have an avid fisherman here that was planning to head out and wouldn't mind company.

My last fishing trip, Camp Slayer Iraq    

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 11:10:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Look in the Texaskayakfisherman forum.  You'll likely find someone to join you.

Two things:

Always wear a PFD-we can't go fishing if you're dead

Paddle with your trunk not your arms
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 1:21:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Here is another group you may want to check out.

https://texasflyfishers.org/
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 6:28:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Look in the Texaskayakfisherman forum.  You'll likely find someone to join you.

Two things:

Always wear a PFD-we can't go fishing if you're dead

Paddle with your trunk not your arms
View Quote

Agreed. I strongly recommend a short-handled net. Makes for a lot less leaning and working the fish when it gets near the boat.

I need to get back out there.

Link Posted: 2/19/2017 10:51:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a first edition Ocean Kayak Prowler Big Game. It's been a rock solid kayak, if a little slow compared to others. I use mine both in fresh and saltwater when I don't want to fool with my boats. Haven't fished Clear Lake since I was a kid in Webster.  

Let me see what the weather and my upcoming schedule has in store. I might be persuaded to head over that way. I'm a fairly passionate fly fisherman and the former Saltwater outings chair for Texas Flyfishers. A lot of our guys fish from kayaks. The PACK guys are a good bunch as well.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 3:54:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Getting a new to me Kayak on Wednesday and I am anxious to try it out on the 25th or 26th in Clear Lake or Galveston Bay.  I was wondering if anyone wanted to tag along, actually let me tag along with them.  I have kayaked before but it was just recreational stuff around Key West and river stuff around San Marcos.  This time I am hoping to fish from a Kayak for the first time.

The kayak I am getting is an Ocean Kayak Big Game 2.  Has rudder, bending branches paddle, lowrance elite 4 dsi, rod holders, anchor trolley and anchor.  I am making a stake out pole and buying a PFD this week along with a cooler.  I need to buy some poles and license but will also take care of that this week.  I should be fairly equipped in everything except the skill.  I haven't fished for sometime and havent kayaked for some time.  I kind of don't want to go on my maiden voyage alone so hopefully we have an avid fisherman here that was planning to head out and wouldn't mind company.

My last fishing trip, Camp Slayer Iraq    

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/276357/1392075-243687322449564-1148658386-n-149566.JPG
View Quote

I wanted to fish that lake when I was there too.

Never did though.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 5:28:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have a first edition Ocean Kayak Prowler Big Game. It's been a rock solid kayak, if a little slow compared to others. I use mine both in fresh and saltwater when I don't want to fool with my boats. Haven't fished Clear Lake since I was a kid in Webster.  

Let me see what the weather and my upcoming schedule has in store. I might be persuaded to head over that way. I'm a fairly passionate fly fisherman and the former Saltwater outings chair for Texas Flyfishers. A lot of our guys fish from kayaks. The PACK guys are a good bunch as well.
View Quote

I'll message you my phone number, it doesn't have to be this weekend, pretty much any weekend would work for me.  It would be awesome to go fishing with someone that knows what they are doing.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 5:31:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I wanted to fish that lake when I was there too.

Never did though.
View Quote

I caught a massive carp and a ton of those catfish things that would mob your bait or lure as soon as it touched the water.  We used to dump popcorn from the mwr in the water to lure away the catfish things so we can try to catch other stuff.  I only managed to fish a couple times over numerous deployments but it was fun everytime.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 5:34:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I am on the Texaskayakfisherman but haven't posted on there much.  It is a pretty slow moving forum to be a new member.  It took a week for my membership to get approved and every post I make takes a couple days to get approved before it actually gets posted.  Makes it a bit difficult to have conversations with other members on it.  So for now I just lurk.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 11:37:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It would be awesome to go fishing with someone that knows what they are doing.
View Quote

I dunno what the hell I said to give you that idea! LOL!

I likely will have to wait a week as I'm trying to sell one of my boats and need to prep it Saturday to meet the guy Sunday. Let's see what the 4th or 5th looks like.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top