Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2017 1:53:02 PM EDT
Taking the kids down to see the Alamo next month.  Anybody have recommendations on hotels in the River walk area?  There seems to be a ton of stuff to do in that area and would prefer to be close and not dealing with traffic.  Any other things to check out while there?
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 5:42:31 PM EDT
[#1]
They have a Rainforest restaurant there which is pretty kid friendly - catch a shuttle to Fiesta Tx or SeaWorld- there is a "cowboy" wild west show out around Boerne-for the life of me I can't actually remember it's name-the missions-the children's museum on Broadway is cool-
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 7:44:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Taking the kids down to see the Alamo next month.  Anybody have recommendations on hotels in the River walk area?  There seems to be a ton of stuff to do in that area and would prefer to be close and not dealing with traffic.  Any other things to check out while there?
View Quote

I've stayed for about 10 days at the Hilton on the riverwalk, it was nice enough.  Also have stayed at the Hampton Inn over by the Alamo.  

Buckhorn Saloon has a pretty neat museum
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 8:06:05 PM EDT
[#3]
The bus tours are nice, the flea market and big 24/7 restruant and bakery in the fleamarket is pretty good.  
The mission trail to the other missions in SA is probably s good as the alamo.
Historic King George area is pretty up and coming.   Old Mansions combined with lots or artsy stuff B&B coffee shops.

Off of the older boring part of the river walk is Pioneer Mill the flour brand you see in the store.  The family restruant is still there on is good for breakfast and a long hike along think it's Guenter Hause or something like that.
LuLus home of the giant cinnamon roll.

Floores Country store is out in Helotes, it's if you like old country music on the weekends.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 8:06:39 PM EDT
[#4]
The old hotel near the Alamo is neat to walk through.  like a time warp.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 9:18:18 PM EDT
[#5]
My favorite is the Crockett Hotel right across the street from the Alamo.  Plenty of stuff to do in the area.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 9:24:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Do NOT stay at the ST. Anthony hotel. Our credit card was copied and hacked and we traced it back to them. CC company said someone had to have used a scanner to copy it. On top of that the rooms sucked. Stay far away from that place.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:34:00 PM EDT
[#7]
For Mexican food, La Paloma Riverwalk is a good bet - It's located just a few hundred feet from the Rain Forest Cafe.

If you don't mind driving a few miles, Panchito's on McCullough St. is also excellent - Great breakfast food!

I would suggest avoiding the Tower Of The Americas - The admissions price has been raised to over 20 bucks apiece (just to ride the elevator to the top), and the tower restaurant serves pricey, mediocre food.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 11:16:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The old hotel near the Alamo is neat to walk through.  like a time warp.
View Quote

The Menger Hotel
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 11:16:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The bus tours are nice, the flea market and big 24/7 restruant and bakery in the fleamarket is pretty good.  
The mission trail to the other missions in SA is probably s good as the alamo.
Historic King George area is pretty up and coming.   Old Mansions combined with lots or artsy stuff B&B coffee shops.

Off of the older boring part of the river walk is Pioneer Mill the flour brand you see in the store.  The family restruant is still there on is good for breakfast and a long hike along think it's Guenter Hause or something like that.
LuLus home of the giant cinnamon roll.

Floores Country store is out in Helotes, it's if you like old country music on the weekends.
View Quote

Mi Tierra's
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 11:17:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The Menger Hotel
View Quote

Heard that one is haunted
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 4:52:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Drury plaza hotel, not the drury inn and suites. We've always enjoyed our stays there and the service is the best.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 11:03:40 AM EDT
[#12]
The wife and I checked out the Briscoe Western Art Museum last time we were down on the Riverwalk.  It's pretty cool.  
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 10:14:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Stayed there plenty.  My sons and I usually walk the floors and the halls 2-3am.  Haven't seen anything ghostly......yet.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 9:53:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Stayed there plenty.  My sons and I usually walk the floors and the halls 2-3am.  Haven't seen anything ghostly......yet.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I heard you last time I was there.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 6:15:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe he's the ghost and doesn't know it...
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 12:54:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My uncle stays there for work when he goes to San Antonio for business/training.
He only stays there because his wife recommended it to him.
His wife is also one of those paranormal hunters as her hobby.
He thought she recommended it to him bas a great hotel.

The fist night, he said he heard people running up and down the hall all night, and constantly opening and shuting of doors.
The next morning, he went to down to the lobby to complain about the noise.
They said he was the only person staying on that floor..

His wife though it was funny.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 11:18:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Really neat place.  The bar is where Teddy Roosevelt signed up his rough riders.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top