Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/5/2017 7:16:42 PM EDT
Found a house there I like.  Looking to escape the state of Illinois.

Just me, no wife, no kids, no dag.

Would be bringing my business and drag truck with me.

See there's a local drag strip, which is good.

How is the weather, the people, the crime, etc???

Most importantly, do you like living there?
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 7:23:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you white?

Eta. If you come down with nothing, you will be ahead of the curve.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 7:28:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are you white?

View Quote

Yes, I am white.

So, you're saying, bad area, stay away?
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 7:31:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Yes, I am white.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are you white?

Yes, I am white.

Yes! Killeen proper is a no go.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 7:38:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Yes! Killeen proper is a no go.
View Quote

The home I am (was) eyeballing was a stones throw to the east of Fort Hood airport.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 8:36:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Anyone have the K-Town rap video handy?
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 11:19:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Anyone have the K-Town rap video handy?
View Quote

Did a little googling...  I'm guessing this is what you mean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWjnP63TvKs

Yeah, so much for moving there.

How about Forney, TX?
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 11:21:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Sent you a IM
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 12:36:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Killen n Copras Cove............both military towns.   No woman will look a man by himself in the eye.  Too many young horny desperate soldiers.   Rough rough town.

Move to San Antonio or west of........and live a good life.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 12:40:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The home I am (was) eyeballing was a stones throw to the east of Fort Hood airport.
View Quote

I work on the air feild, 

Its like the country b/c you can hear gun shots all day, but you are in a city.

The farther away from base the better. read crime and traffic. Imagine 50K people trying to get to work and home @ the same time..

Harker Heights is nicer, Cove is ok.

I live on the Other side of 190, which is still close but not danger close.

I am pretty white, my old zip code did not list black people as their own catagory, just grouped them in with "other" That said I have been here 4 years and had zero problems.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 12:51:36 AM EDT
[#10]
OP can you list your must have?  I am assuming you have some flexibility with your business in where you can live.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 1:18:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
OP can you list your must have?  I am assuming you have some flexibility with your business in where you can live.
View Quote

My only must haves are:

1.  High speed internet.
2.  Drag strip within 60 miles.
3.  $150k max budget

My desires are:

1.  1/4 acre or more
2.  Garage larger than 20x20
3.  Property that will allow me to park my 28' enclosed trailer at my home.

I lead a pretty simple life.

Starting to think Missouri may be a better fit.  How you guys get along without basements is baffling.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 1:50:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Killeen?  Here you go:
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 1:57:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

My only must haves are:

1.  High speed internet.
3.  $150k max budget

My desires are:

1.  1/4 acre or more

Starting to think Missouri may be a better fit.  How you guys get along without basements is baffling.
View Quote

Maybe look at Ennis, TX. Texas Motorplex drag strip is there. Might be a better fit for you than Killeen.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 9:39:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Missouri is nice if you don't mind paying property taxes on everything that you own and a 6% state income tax. (trailers, cars, ATVs, boats, house)
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 11:09:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Missouri is nice if you don't mind paying property taxes on everything that you own and a 6% state income tax. (trailers, cars, ATVs, boats, house)
View Quote

I don't cherry pick specific taxes.  I look at overall cost of living.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 11:22:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

My only must haves are:

1.  High speed internet.
3.  $150k max budget

My desires are:

1.  1/4 acre or more

View Quote

Go look at Abiline ....
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 12:34:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Killeen is a great place to get stabbed. If you are set on the area look towards Lampasas or Briggs.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 12:39:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Go look at Abiline ....
View Quote

Doesn't appear to be any safer than Killeen.

https://www.neighborhoodscout.com/tx/abilene/crime/

Scores 6 of 100 (100 being safest)...
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 12:39:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Killeen is a great place to get stabbed. If you are set on the area look towards Lampasas or Briggs.
View Quote

I'm not set on any area, or even on TX...
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 12:41:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Doesn't appear to be any safer than Killeen.

https://www.neighborhoodscout.com/tx/abilene/crime/

Scores 6 of 100 (100 being safest)...
View Quote

Only if your in a oil camp... but having to be a near a drag strip is going to cause you to live in not a nice area.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 1:38:19 PM EDT
[#21]
I would say that you need to check out Ennis, TX.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 1:58:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I would say that you need to check out Ennis, TX.
View Quote

Nothing there for sale in my range...
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 2:21:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Nothing there for sale in my range...
View Quote

Just as a fyi... zillow sucks for trying to determine a price in Texas if you use their estimate function.  You need to look at what a home is on the market for.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 2:25:19 PM EDT
[#24]
The best thing about Kileen is it's next to Harker Heights (booze and strip clubs)
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 2:26:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Just as a fyi... zillow sucks for trying to determine a price in Texas if you use their estimate function.  You need to look at what a home is on the market for.
View Quote

I don't use the zestimate function, I look at the listing price, and prior sale price.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 4:26:19 PM EDT
[#26]
I would not recommend Killeen...  it is a little ghetto.  You can find something nicer probably in Temple or Belton and they are closer timewise to Little River Dragway which is a pretty decent track.  There are a lot of other small towns in the area I'd consider before Killeen, Harker Heights or Copperas Cove (the three larger towns near Ft. Hood). There is also a lot of nice country land you could get.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 4:34:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I would not recommend Killeen...  it is a little ghetto.  You can find something nicer probably in Temple or Belton and they are closer timewise to Little River Dragway which is a pretty decent track.  There are a lot of other small towns in the area I'd consider before Killeen, Harker Heights or Copperas Cove (the three larger towns near Ft. Hood). There is also a lot of nice country land you could get.
View Quote

What he said.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 4:38:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

What he said.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What he said.

Country land is not usually conducive to high speed internet, but I will keep an eye out.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 4:58:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Did a little googling...  I'm guessing this is what you mean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWjnP63TvKs

Yeah, so much for moving there.

How about Forney, TX?
View Quote

Forney isn't too bad
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 9:52:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Do you love your family? If so do not expose them to Killeen and Cove is not much better. It is the bastard child and armpit of Texas. Just imagine waking up to the stench of urine, dirty tampons, and stale menthol cigarettes while a cockroach  is crawling out of your nose and having rat shit in your cereal for breakfast. That's a good day.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 10:18:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Check out 195 area for homes. I live on the outskirts of Killeen near 195. Stay the Fuck away from anywhere north of 190 and business 190. We have been here in the area for over 15 years.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 10:23:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Back in '59, Dad was transferred from the Nancy (France) Ordnance Depot to Fort Hood.  Dad was a vet of WWII and also the Korean era.  This was before anyone heard of VN.  Momma, all <5 feet of her looked at Dad and told him, more or less, that there was no way in hell she was moving her family to a town that consisted of nothing but whore houses, beer joints, and used car lots.

We ended up living in Temple.  Temple hated the mil but never turned down the impact funds for educating us Army Brats.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 10:55:43 PM EDT
[#33]
OK, got it... So Killeen is a lot like all of Illinois.  Roger.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 11:32:18 PM EDT
[#34]
I like Garland.  Come on out and school me on how best to abuse my 2016 Mustang!
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 9:40:02 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Back in '59, Dad was transferred from the Nancy (France) Ordnance Depot to Fort Hood.  Dad was a vet of WWII and also the Korean era.  This was before anyone heard of VN.  Momma, all <5 feet of her looked at Dad and told him, more or less, that there was no way in hell she was moving her family to a town that consisted of nothing but whore houses, beer joints, and used car lots.

We ended up living in Temple.  Temple hated the mil but never turned down the impact funds for educating us Army Brats.
View Quote

Most of Bell County doesn't associate with Killeen.  There has historically been a massive divide between Temple/Belton and the Ft Hood ghetto.

There is plenty of rural area to live East of LRA that would most likely fall into your price range but I'm not sure how reliable internet would be for you.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 12:02:18 AM EDT
[#36]
There's a drag strip called Little River Dragway in the town of Holland between Belton and Salado.  That would be a nice area.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 6:03:49 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Found a house there I like.  Looking to escape the state of Illinois.

Just me, no wife, no kids, no dag.

Would be bringing my business and drag truck with me.

See there's a local drag strip, which is good.

How is the weather, the people, the crime, etc???

Most importantly, do you like living there?
View Quote
Tell me about the drag truck?  You can always find a place to live later.

I about 90% finished on a 93 coupe single turbo car....love LSX stuff too

I'm in the Terrell/Forney area and commute to Garland every day. 

Pro's - traffic isn't too bad until I get within 10 miles of Garland
High speed internet everywhere.
Big lots and really cool people/neighbors
From where I live it's 5 miles to the nearest /grocery/beer/liquor store
multiple 1/8 mile tracks within your 60 mile radius

Con's - Schools reviews are a mixed bag...my kids are too little for me to see first hand
Watch where you go...some areas tend to have flood/drainage issues
only one 1/4 mile track within your 60 mile radius.
Some of those who live north of Dallas will think they are better than you (they have lots of time to think about it while stuck in the worst traffic in DFW)
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 2:47:51 PM EDT
[#38]
What kind of business?

I live in Waco, steadly growing. The suburbs of Hewitt, Lornea and Robinson (actually that's where I live) are nice but may be out of your price range.

Little River Dragway (40 miles south)  has a new owner ( but that's a good thing), Prairie Hill Dragway(30 miles east of Waco) has some new management and are fixing the problems with the track surface (2 guys who both have fast cars, one runs 4.0's  no prep,  the other slightly slower). So that makes 4 drag strips with in 100 miles of Waco.
I have a back haft 65 El Camino that I am in the process of doing the front haft (2×3 a-arm) 540 ci with 2 foggers.
And since you are on this site 4 gun ranges with in 25 miles.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 7:52:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Drag Truck;

With a "small" blower on it.

Link Posted: 2/9/2017 7:53:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
What kind of business?
View Quote

Firearms industry.  That's all I can say.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 8:06:59 PM EDT
[#41]

Now I know why you are single...  nice truck... do you also have a blower on the 5.7 in the background?
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 8:56:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Now I know why you are single...  nice truck... do you also have a blower on the 5.7 in the background?
View Quote

No, the 2008 Tundra was stock... I now have a 2012 Sierra 2500HD diesel that's been turned up to 500HP and I can turn it up to 550HP total without changing turbo/injectors.

The 14-71 came off of Chuck Etchell's Rug Doctor Funny Car.  It's a mag case blower that I had black powder coated.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 7:39:06 AM EDT
[#43]
Look on the west side too, South Ft Worth is nice, I live in Burleson, 5 minutes south and I'm in nowhere and 10 minutes north I'm downtown Ft Worth.

Ennis isn't far, nice track. Kennedale isn't far at all and they run some fast shit on that little 660' stretch of pavement. I've been 5.90 down it before myself. The areas south of Ft worth aren't bad with traffic once you learn the area and stay the hell of 35W. Plenty of land to be bought as well around Alvarado/Joshua/Burleson and they still "feel" like small towns even though they touch the city limits of a 6.8 million people metro area.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 12:05:35 AM EDT
[#44]
Do a 60 mile search around San Antonio Raceway.

https://saraceway.com/

Pretty good living in and around San Antonio.  You can find what you are looking for.   San Antonio is the 7th largest city in the country and about the 25th largest metro. It has everything.  There are plenty of smaller towns around the race track with a lot to offer as well.  For 150ish you would be able to live in the city in a good enough area or in a more rural area with a little land and maybe even a shop. If you can up your budget to 200K, things really open up.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 4:02:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
The best thing about Kileen is it's next to Harker Heights (booze and strip clubs)
View Quote

Killeen now has liquor stores!!!!!      Also, there are 2 or 3 strip clubs in Killcity (totally nude is now closed) and only one in Harker Heights.

Belton or Salado is what you might want.  The area is still being settled and everyone is moving north from Austin.  

You said firearms related.  With in 30 ish minutes you can be at STI or Dawson Precision or Larue.

Thank you KalihiJack for posting the Anthem.  yes it is real
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top