Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/24/2017 8:09:10 PM EDT
Relocating for work from North Texas area to the Austin area.  My job site will be in South Austin by the airport.

I was hoping to get some ideas on where to look for a home.  My only real must haves are good school district for the kiddos, and be no more than 30-40mins from the airport.  I'm not sure if I should be looking in the North, South, East or West areas.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 8:24:08 PM EDT
[#1]
East side I would not recommend. Unless you go to a town east of Austin. Other than that no clue as haven't been there in a long time.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 8:57:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Find something by James Bowie High School, preferably in that 88 (Gorzycki Middle School) area. You should be around 30 minutes out from the airport, and its one of the best schools in Austin.

http://move-to-austin.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/CTA-20313-06-EducationFocus.pdf
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 10:27:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I wouldn't live in Austin at all. Check Bastrop, Hayes County. Travis county taxes are high, Austin Energy will rip you a new asshole, plus your kids will be taught by liberals in the AISD schools.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 10:29:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Relocating for work from North Texas area to the Austin area.  My job site will be in South Austin by the airport.

I was hoping to get some ideas on where to look for a home.  My only real must haves are good school district for the kiddos, and be no more than 30-40mins from the airport.  I'm not sure if I should be looking in the North, South, East or West areas.
View Quote

With the time limit you have placed on yourself assuming normal business hours you will need to stay south of town lake.   The big issue your going to have is the school you will wish for for your kids to be at.  Most all  AISD schools on that side of town suck.  You will will most likely have to live outside of Austin unless you don't care about thier safety or grades.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 1:39:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Austin is a shit hole. I can't wait until I can gtfo of this city. These fucking people will vote for any spending bond they get on the ballot and then cry all year about rent going up.Trying to close on some land up in Burnet Co. this year and use it for a private range until I can move out full time.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 12:08:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Somewhere near Buda is the area I would recommend. Easy access to the airport area. Pretty decent schools but that does vary based on the school you would actually be assigned to so check that. Taxes in Hays Co. are just about as high as in Travis Co. but our property values are lower so there is that.

I work close to that area, my commute from Buda is roughly 30 mins during peak traffic. I go straight up IH 35 though, if your destination is really close to the airport area, you can go up 183 and avoid the cluster of IH 35. There is also SH 130 for really bad days but that costs a couple bucks.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 12:29:34 PM EDT
[#7]
West Austin,  or Westlake, Beecave area.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 12:30:50 PM EDT
[#8]
double tap
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 7:24:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks guys.  I am looking in Buda, Kyle, and San Marcos.  San Marcos looks like a bit of a drive but worth it to get out of Austin City.  Also looking at Lockhart and Bastrop.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 9:21:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks guys.  I am looking in Buda, Kyle, and San Marcos.  San Marcos looks like a bit of a drive but worth it to get out of Austin City.  Also looking at Lockhart and Bastrop.
View Quote

Buda isn't bad, a few of my employees live there. My GF lives in Kyle and the problem there is the community college drives the taxes up in the city limits.  San Marcos isn't that bad of a drive and depending on where you are at there you can always take 21 to 183.  If you go up 35 you can also get off on 1327 and avoid some of the 35 congestion.  Lockhart isn't that far as well and has some of the top rated BBQ joints in the state.  Bastrop's probably a little further than San Marcos depending on where in San Marcos you are at.  I don't know anything about the schools though as I live in San Antonio and commute to South Austin every day.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 10:09:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

There's housing not far from SH130. Even Bastrop.

I would highly recommend not living in Austin.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 11:37:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Look at the communities along SH 130 but farther north (Pflugerville, Round Rock, Hutto, etc.)
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 1:15:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Look at the communities along SH 130 but farther north (Pflugerville, Round Rock, Hutto, etc.)
View Quote

I live in Taylor and it is not a bad drive at all to the airport if you do not mind taking the toll road.  Taylor still has very affordable housing.  I really cannot speak for the school system, but have not heard any negatives.  Just another direction to consider
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 12:06:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Buda/kyle
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 4:58:32 AM EDT
[#15]
I lived and worked in Bastrop for about 9 years. I would highly suggest it. Great little town with lots of outdoor stuff to do. Great place to raise kids and even on a bad day (bad wreck on 71) back roads can get you to the airport in under 40min. Normal commute would be 25-30 min. My taxes were cheap and I was able to buy a nice house 1400sq' on one acre in a nice neighborhood for 140k. The taxes were 2500 a year if I remember correctly. Avoid living near I-35 at all cost. The traffic heading north and south into Austin will only be getting worse as time marches on. PM me if you want more info, I know the area extremely well doue to my former job.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 9:16:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
Stay east of I35.  I'd look east of the airport at Bastrop, Lockhart, Elgin, Taylor, etc,  
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 7:46:03 AM EDT
[#17]
All of us mega billionaires live in Lakeway
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 2:07:26 PM EDT
[#18]
I got to drive through some areas last week.  I really like the area north of 130 and 71.  I think its Hornsby Bend??  Hopefully heading down there with the wife and kids next weekend to check out Buda area and Bastrop
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 9:40:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Be sure you drive to work from any prospective home, during drive times. You might decide the best home for your family is more important than your commute, but better to do it eyes open.

A new shopping center is being built around 130/71, including an HEB. But look at elevations around there. There have been substantial floods. So that nice creek-front property might be cheap for a reason.

I live in southern Bastrop County, and commute to NW Austin, an hour each way, even paying the AustinHatesCommuters Tax (i.e., tolls). My choice, but I live on 86 acres. Tradeoffs, choices.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 9:41:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I live in southern Bastrop County, and commute to NW Austin, an hour each way, even paying the AustinHatesCommuters Tax (i.e., tolls). My choice, but I live on 86 acres. Tradeoffs, choices.
View Quote

I would love to find some acreage, especially with some wooded area to hopefully get a couple of deer each season.  One can dream haha.  Maybe if I win the lotto.

Speaking of, off topic completely, is it hard to find hunting leases around the Bastrop area?
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 4:43:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I would love to find some acreage, especially with some wooded area to hopefully get a couple of deer each season.  One can dream haha.  Maybe if I win the lotto.

Speaking of, off topic completely, is it hard to find hunting leases around the Bastrop area?
View Quote

Not hard...  just EXPENSIVE.  Deer hunting is a sport for the wealthy these days.  
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 11:22:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
All of us mega billionaires live in Lakeway
View Quote

haha,  Too clean for me.  I live down Cuarnavaca.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 12:00:16 AM EDT
[#23]
You didn't mention a budget, so I assume you have looked at Austin housing prices/market and are ok with just about any area.  I have lived in South Austin for the last 12 years and I can tell you that had I not bought our house at a sharp dip in the market, I would not be able to afford to buy the house I live in.  We live in an area with very good schools, and by no means is it the most expensive area, but it is now out of reach for most "middle class" families.  Traffic is horrible and will only get worse.  What is a 25-30 minute commute today might possibly double over the next 5 years--maybe sooner if the growth continues at the current rate.  My advice to you would be to buy the nicest house you possibly can as close to where you work, and send your kids to private school.  There are decent schools in Hays/Buda, but that area is exploding and your "easy" commute today will likely not be so much next year.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 3:14:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I lived and worked in Bastrop for about 9 years. I would highly suggest it. Great little town with lots of outdoor stuff to do. Great place to raise kids and even on a bad day (bad wreck on 71) back roads can get you to the airport in under 40min. Normal commute would be 25-30 min. My taxes were cheap and I was able to buy a nice house 1400sq' on one acre in a nice neighborhood for 140k. The taxes were 2500 a year if I remember correctly. Avoid living near I-35 at all cost. The traffic heading north and south into Austin will only be getting worse as time marches on. PM me if you want more info, I know the area extremely well doue to my former job.
View Quote

The only problem with Bastrop is the Bastropians.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 4:15:30 PM EDT
[#25]
I haven't had a chance to get down to the area yet to really look around but I'm really liking the Tahitian Village community in Bastrop.  I like the large size lot you get with lots of trees and the feeling of seclusion vs being in a cookie cutter neighborhood.  

We are looking at a max of $220k.

Sadly all of the neighborhoods close to my work seem to have horrible schools, so if we decide to be closer to my work the kids will definitely have to go private or charter school, which isn't a huge problem as my wife will be working from home and can schedule around driving the kids back and from school.  

I'm battling between being close to work or living further out in Bastrop and having a nice size lot for the kids and dogs.  g
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 2:29:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

This, and take the 71 over to the airport. Schools in East Austin/Delvalle area are the worst.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 12:58:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

This, and take the 71 over to the airport. Schools in East Austin/Delvalle area are the worst.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Delvalle/East Austin schools reall suck if you aren't first language Spanish speaker.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:14:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I haven't had a chance to get down to the area yet to really look around but I'm really liking the Tahitian Village community in Bastrop.  I like the large size lot you get with lots of trees and the feeling of seclusion vs being in a cookie cutter neighborhood.  

We are looking at a max of $220k.

Sadly all of the neighborhoods close to my work seem to have horrible schools, so if we decide to be closer to my work the kids will definitely have to go private or charter school, which isn't a huge problem as my wife will be working from home and can schedule around driving the kids back and from school.  

I'm battling between being close to work or living further out in Bastrop and having a nice size lot for the kids and dogs.  g
View Quote

I dont think you will find something for $220k in Travis county.   Look North
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 9:22:13 PM EDT
[#29]
I'd seriously look Bastrop area for the commute and the cost...

When it's not all a flame , Bastrop is pretty in the pines and there is a lot of outdoors activity options...
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 10:26:53 PM EDT
[#30]
+1 on Buda/Kyle/Bastrop/San Marcos.

I live in Oak Hill, 15 mins of my 30 min commute (sorta close to the Airport) is just getting out past the Y.

Hopefully we'll be moving soonish
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 9:38:08 AM EDT
[#31]
Not sure if anyone mentioned Spicewood.  It is on Hwy 71 and would be a straight shot in to the airport.  you would be in the hill country.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 9:59:48 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Not sure if anyone mentioned Spicewood.  It is on Hwy 71 and would be a straight shot in to the airport.  you would be in the hill country.
View Quote

I think Spicewood would put the OP outside of his 30-40min max time to the airport, especially trying to get through Oak Hill and the Y.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top