Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2017 1:52:48 PM EDT
I wrote my Rep as well as Cornyn and Cruz regarding the hearing protection act. My representative wrote back saying he has cosponsored the bill and Cornyn wrote back saying he also cosponsored the bill. 

Has anyone gotten a response from Cruz yet?
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 2:19:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Nope just the generic reply from Cruz.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 9:02:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Generic reply as well.  I also included a request to force the BATF to accept Electronic Fingerprints and photos taken by those doing the fingerprints like Texas uses for Handgun License's to speed process up.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 10:46:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I wrote my Rep as well as Cornyn and Cruz regarding the hearing protection act. My representative wrote back saying he has cosponsored the bill and Cornyn wrote back saying he also cosponsored the bill. 

Has anyone gotten a response from Cruz yet?
View Quote

My results mirror yours.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 12:21:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Cruz probably heard there were a bunch of dicks fucking with him on the arf and said fuck the arf and all those that run with it.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 2:24:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Generic response and now I'm on his email distribution list. Lots of fluff about what he wants to do, not a word on HPA or carry reciprocity. 
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 3:55:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Generic response and now I'm on his email distribution list. Lots of fluff about what he wants to do, not a word on HPA or carry reciprocity. 
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 3:58:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Disappointing.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 8:32:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
...I also included a request to force the BATF to accept Electronic Fingerprints and photos taken by those doing the fingerprints like Texas uses for Handgun License's to speed process up.
View Quote

Huh?
ATF DOES accept electronic fingerprints (scanned) and photos taken by ANYONE "properly equipped" RIGHT NOW.
You can even roll your own prints and use a cellphone app for your passport photo.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 9:10:11 AM EDT
[#9]
i have heard that off the record there is very large silencer retailer that is totally against the HPA but they cannot publicly state their position since it would cause such a rift in public opinion people would boycott them out of principle.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 10:26:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
i have heard that off the record there is very large silencer retailer that is totally against the HPA but they cannot publicly state their position since it would cause such a rift in public opinion people would boycott them out of principle.
View Quote

"Off the record" rumormongering

Yeah, this is a credible post.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 11:05:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

"Off the record" rumormongering

Yeah, this is a credible post.
View Quote

sorry if i am a new ARFCOMMER

i have been in the firearms industry for over a decade as a licensee. i think longer than you have been around.

and the person who divulged this info to me works for them. thanks for playing though.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 11:18:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Silencer Shop?

I guess I could see it. If they were to be treated like long guns then they would probably lose business, possibly a substantial amount of business.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 2:05:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Silencer Shop?

I guess I could see it. If they were to be treated like long guns then they would probably lose business, possibly a substantial amount of business.
View Quote

I doubt it.
While some manufacturers don't mind dealing directly with buyers, the majority prefer using the distributor/dealer model.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 2:42:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I doubt it.
While some manufacturers don't mind dealing directly with buyers, the majority prefer using the distributor/dealer model.
View Quote

True, but if Silencers start getting treated like long guns, the dealers would be able to order from manufacturers without having to go through Silencer Shop to get business...possibly. 
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 3:02:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

True, but if Silencers start getting treated like long guns, the dealers would be able to order from manufacturers without having to go through Silencer Shop to get business...possibly. 
View Quote

Some manufacturers deal direct with dealers now......but most do not. The HPA passing really only affects the tax and paperwork. Ordering and product fulfillment shouldn't change. Put yourself in the manufacturers shoes. Do you want to handle 50 accounts or 5,000?

Remington, Glock, Ruger, S&W, SIG, HK, Taurus, Kimber, Beretta..........all push their product through the distributor model. While a few dealers may deal direct with a given manufacturer, 99% do not.
And since Silencer Shop, RSR, Sports South, Lipseys and dozens of other distributors already carry NFA firearms why would manufacturers seek a change to that?
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 3:22:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Some manufacturers deal direct with dealers now......but most do not. The HPA passing really only affects the tax and paperwork. Ordering and product fulfillment shouldn't change. Put yourself in the manufacturers shoes. Do you want to handle 50 accounts or 5,000?

Remington, Glock, Ruger, S&W, SIG, HK, Taurus, Kimber, Beretta..........all push their product through the distributor model. While a few dealers may deal direct with a given manufacturer, 99% do not.
And since Silencer Shop, RSR, Sports South, Lipseys and dozens of other distributors already carry NFA firearms why would manufacturers seek a change to that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

First off, let's clarify...no one knows that SilencerShop is the rumored dealer, and no one knows that SilencerShop is opposed to the HPA. That's just unsupported speculation and rumor. But, it is an interesting hypothetical discussion, STRICTLY hypothetical. 

So the question is, will the HPA mean that dealers no longer need to be Class III dealers in order to sell silencers? 

IF the HPA means that dealers will no longer need to be Class III dealers in order to sell silencers, then it will open a lot of potential sources for silencers. Cabela's, Bass Pro, Academy, Dick's and others would, in theory, be able to start selling silencers over the counter like Remington shotguns. That could cut into other dealer's business, possibly pretty deeply.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 3:31:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

First off, let's clarify...no one knows that SilencerShop is the rumored dealer, and no one knows that SilencerShop is opposed to the HPA. That's just unsupported speculation and rumor. But, it is an interesting hypothetical discussion, STRICTLY hypothetical. 

So the question is, will the HPA mean that dealers no longer need to be Class III dealers in order to sell silencers? 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If the HPA passes, silencers would no longer be under the purview of the National Firearms Act......so no SOT needed by the dealer to receive or transfer.

IF the HPA means that dealers will no longer need to be Class III dealers in order to sell silencers, then it will open a lot of potential sources for silencers. Cabela's, Bass Pro, Academy, Dick's and others would, in theory, be able to start selling silencers over the counter like Remington shotguns. That could cut into other dealer's business, possibly pretty deeply.

You left out WalMart.
There's nothing stopping those big box dealers from selling silencers right now. (and those big box dealers get their firearms from distributors just like everyone else.)
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 7:43:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

i have been in the firearms industry for over a decade as a licensee. i think longer than you have been around.

and the person who divulged this info to me works for them. thanks for playing though.
View Quote
Why even bring it up if you aren't going to say who it is? BTW, they're goddamned right I'd boycott them out of principle. Whoever it is, you can tell him or her that some guy from arfcom says "fuck you".
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 10:39:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

If the HPA passes, silencers would no longer be under the purview of the National Firearms Act......so no SOT needed by the dealer to receive or transfer.

You left out WalMart.
There's nothing stopping those big box dealers from selling silencers right now. (and those big box dealers get their firearms from distributors just like everyone else.)
View Quote

Sure there is...  I can walk into those retailers and walk out with a firearm in fifteen minutes or less. That's the benefit of having a brick and mortar store... Why would they offer suppressors in store, or even online for that matter considering the investment/reward, when that benefit is not available to consumers. Open it up to only having the requirement of a background check... Ease of purchase/consumption is pretty important.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 12:16:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Sure there is...  I can walk into those retailers and walk out with a firearm in fifteen minutes or less. That's the benefit of having a brick and mortar store... Why would they offer suppressors in store, or even online for that matter considering the investment/reward, when that benefit is not available to consumers. Open it up to only having the requirement of a background check... Ease of purchase/consumption is pretty important.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You left out WalMart.

So......what's stopping those stores from selling NFA firearms right now? Nothing. Just like a lot of mom and pop gun stores its mostly ignorance of how easy it is to deal in NFA firearms.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 12:34:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

What was your screenname before your last ban?
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 12:48:50 PM EDT
[#22]
My Contrarian viewpoint on SilencerShop being hurt by HPA.

Actually I think HPA will help them. Here is why.

1) The negative to buying from SS is the F3 wait to get to your local dealer. HPA eliminates that. Buy today, pick it up tomorrow.

2) So as a local dealer, I had a small incentive to carry inventory, as it eliminated the F3 wait for a customer, saving a couple months.

3) HPA takes that off the table. The wait is now one day. Why would I as a dealer want to tie up tens of thousands of dollars in capital to save one day? Most dealers did not do this to save 2 months!
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 3:33:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Why do discussions on ARFCOM have to be so polarizing? Its either ALL or NONE!

The chief complaint I've heard about shops dealing with NFA items is having to store a serialized item, sold to specific individual, for 3-6-9-12 months before the buyer can come pick it up. No business, regardless of industry, WANTS to store a sold item for a customer for any extended period of time. Firearms/Suppressors are no different but this is a necessary evil if you want to sell NFA items.

If the HPA passes, will we see an uptick in the number of B&M stores stocking suppressors, probably. Will every single mom & pop, small chain or big chain store selling suppressors? Probably not.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 3:45:25 PM EDT
[#24]
As much as i wis it would pass, i just dont see it happening. For one reason or another, i think its gonna get rejected.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 3:45:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
3) HPA takes that off the table. The wait is now one day. Why would I as a dealer want to tie up tens of thousands of dollars in capital to save one day? Most dealers did not do this to save 2 months!
View Quote

All of your points make sense but you don't touch on profits.

Obviously shops with the SS consoles are making a % of money. SS is making a % of money. What keeps the shops from removing SS as the middle man and going direct to the manufactures? Said shop is now making their same % plus what SS' %. Obviously some will keep the SS consoles as SS already has the supply lines in place with a lot of the makers.

This is all assuming HPA has passed and there are no longer NFA wait times involved.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 3:49:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
What keeps the shops from removing SS as the middle man and going direct to the manufactures?.
View Quote

The Manufacturers only selling to distributors is what stops them.

It still comes down to the same issue, as a gun shop, how much money do you want to tie up in inventory when SS is one day away?

The kiosks you spoke of are gone under HPA.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 3:55:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The Manufacturers only selling to distributors is what stops them.

It still comes down to the same issue, as a gun shop, how much money do you want to tie up in inventory when SS is one day away?

The kiosks you spoke of are gone under HPA.
View Quote

Distributors only receiving inventory is a fair point.

If most shop owners followed the rationale of only 1 day away, they'd have no guns on the shelves. This is simple sales and marketing, most buyers(note I said most) want instant gratification. They want that shiny new metal object in their hands the moment they swipe that card.

The shops with the money to tie up in inventory will stock suppressors if HPA passes. Those who don't have the money will probably follow a systems like you've laid out.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 4:00:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Distributors only receiving inventory is a fair point.

If most shop owners followed the rationale of only 1 day away, they'd have no guns on the shelves. This is simple sales and marketing, most buyers(note I said most) want instant gratification. They want that shiny new metal object in their hands the moment they swipe that card.

The shops with the money to tie up in inventory will stock suppressors if HPA passes. Those who don't have the money will probably follow a systems like you've laid out.
View Quote

You missed the issue I responded to. The issue was will HPA hurt SS. My answer was no and I gave answer why. My answer has nothing to do with rest of industry continuing as is.

eta

this post is what I was responding to:

i have heard that off the record there is very large silencer retailer that is totally against the HPA but they cannot publicly state their position since it would cause such a rift in public opinion people would boycott them out of principle
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 6:15:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Obviously shops with the SS consoles are making a % of money. SS is making a % of money. What keeps the shops from removing SS as the middle man and going direct to the manufactures? Said shop is now making their same % plus what SS' %. Obviously some will keep the SS consoles as SS already has the supply lines in place with a lot of the makers.

This is all assuming HPA has passed and there are no longer NFA wait times involved.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What hurts most shops from buying direct is the volume you have tied up in inventory. A friend of mine had one of the largest gun shops/distributor in California (like 15-20 guys working behind the counter). He was direct with most manufacturers, SIG, Glock, Kimber, Remington etc. Most required a buy in that would really put the hurt on most dealers. He wasn't direct with Springfield though, reason was the buy in was huge, Springfield only had 6 distributors they worked with. If a buy in with just one manufacturer of suppressors was $50,000 it is cheaper for the small shop to buy a few from a distributor like Silencer Shop.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 6:57:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
.... What keeps the shops from removing SS as the middle man and going direct to the manufactures? ....
View Quote

1. The same thing that keeps shops from going to manufacturers now.......manufacturers don't want to deal with orders of 2-10 cans from 1,000 dealers.
2. Silencer Shop is a distributor (what you call a middle man). Dealers already order 90% of their firearm inventory from Distributors.
3. Silencer Shop is unique among silencer distributors because they offer a means for the buyer to choose a silencer and have it shipped to a dealer local to them. No other silencer distributor does this. Gallery of Guns (Davidsons) is the only other firearm distributor that has a similar program....but buyers currently cannot order a silencer through their website.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 1:37:34 AM EDT
[#31]
The shops that don't stock them can always special-order them through RSR, Hicks, Accusport, etc. if Silencer Shop's markup is too much (eta: IF this passes).  I'm curious to see the small manufacturers start popping up because of the lack of oppressive NFA regs.  I'm even more curious to see if these (if treated like firearms) can then be home built (like an 80% receiver) if there's no intent to sell it?
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 10:20:37 PM EDT
[#32]
I posted over a week ago about Cruz not being a sponsor for the HPA.  I used to get detailed responses from him when I contacted his office about issues but I haven't seen anything of substance from him on the HPA.

Can we have a fire mission and burn his phone lines up?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top