Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/20/2017 8:24:56 PM EDT
Anyone know about that? My dad has land east of the city that his father bought, that was part of this scam. They said they were developing it back in the 70s, but never ran utilities or built roads etc. That's about all I know.
i was debating checking out the plot and maybe camping there on my way to Arizona, but don't know anything about the area. Kind of curious about accessibility. It just looks like open desert on Google earth.
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 8:31:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I flew out of ELP yesterday.

I saw a good chunk of area that was laid out like a 'hood, but nothing else.

Made me think about buying a plot

ETA: this area?
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 2:48:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I flew out of ELP yesterday.

I saw a good chunk of area that was laid out like a 'hood, but nothing else.

Made me think about buying a plot

ETA: this area?
View Quote

Yep, that's the area! My dad says most of the people got their money back, but I guess my granddad never worried about it. Apparently the land is so worthless, he doesn't even get a bill for property tax anymore..
It looks like there's nothing out there, but I don't want to end up trespassing to get to the plot he owns.

Did it look like there is dirt roads laid out? Kinda looks that way, but hard to tell from the satellite images.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 10:26:46 AM EDT
[#3]
My dad fell for that scam too.

As far as I know my oldest sister still pays $17 a year for the property tax.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 4:40:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I live in Horizon City.  Those roads have been out there for 20+ years.  The town of Horizon City is well established and a nice area.  It is building so fast out here that the land farther out will be used soon.

Yes it was a scam, I own some of the areas farther out also.  The other big scam is in Hudspeth county with Sunset Ranches.  Same thing, no utilities or paved roads.  Just lots of desert.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 3:57:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I live in Horizon City.  Those roads have been out there for 20+ years.  The town of Horizon City is well established and a nice area.  It is building so fast out here that the land farther out will be used soon.

Yes it was a scam, I own some of the areas farther out also.  The other big scam is in Hudspeth county with Sunset Ranches.  Same thing, no utilities or paved roads.  Just lots of desert.
View Quote

Is it ok to have a fire or shoot out there? Assuming there is some kind of safe backstop, not flat land. (This would be on the 5 acre plot my dad owns)
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 10:43:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Lol, why did they put in road beds before running sewer / utilities?
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 6:12:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Just bumping for any additional info.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 9:00:50 AM EDT
[#8]
I have worked in El Paso a couple of times, the area you are talking about is pretty flat.
As for the dirt roads, they are everywhere out that way. My GPS took me on several. Many times I thought I was just driving cross country,
but there were tracks there. lol.

If it was me, I would get the deed and either call the county clerk and check ownership, or take a trip out there to check it out.
The county will probably be happy to make you a copy of the survey map of the land, showing the exact location and boundaries if you do not have one.
ETA: I see you are in Virginia, long trip to see a lot of nothing....
but if you do go, stay away from Chico's Tacos...

There is a possibility since you don't get a property bill anymore that the land was sold at auction, or there is a tax bill waiting to be paid.

As for trespassing,
if it as deserted as it looks on google earth, I doubt you will have a problem with that.
Looks like there are dirt sand roads laid out everywhere.

I am interested in the results. to me, land is land, whether people think it's worthless or not. :)
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 11:50:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Awesome, that helps a lot.
I was going to drive to tucson to visit a friend and figured I may as well stop in El paso on the way, so I'm not driving just to see the land.
Texas is one of the states I have yet to visit, thought I should check it out at some point.
Doesn't hurt that all my guns are legal there, unlike some other states I've visited.
Any good public outdoor ranges to shoot rifles around el paso? Or designated public land to shoot on if my dad's land doesn't work out for shooting?
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 12:01:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Awesome, that helps a lot.
I was going to drive to tucson to visit a friend and figured I may as well stop in El paso on the way, so I'm not driving just to see the land.
Texas is one of the states I have yet to visit, thought I should check it out at some point.
Doesn't hurt that all my guns are legal there, unlike some other states I've visited.
Any good public outdoor ranges to shoot rifles around el paso? Or designated public land to shoot on if my dad's land doesn't work out for shooting?
View Quote

in that case, allow an extra day to visit the Big Bend are.....you will NOT be dissapointed.

If you come though DFW, holler, we'll get you some damend good BBQ. :D
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 12:23:04 PM EDT
[#11]
My aunt lived there many years. The desert there is packed with thorns and cactus. I walked around some in New Balance trail running shoes and ended up with 1/2 inch long thorns embedded in my shoes. Might want to think twice about driving a vehicle on unpaved sections. Really thorny. Horizon City is a little strange with the layout and location. Quite a few law enforcement and border patrol people live out there to avoid El Paso proper.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 3:09:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Some of that area north of Fabens used to be a bombing range in WWII! You can find a practice bomb or parts in certain areas and if you know where to look you can find belts of .50 BMG out there.

There may be an odd house or mobile home out there with people that may live for a bit then move away.  Some arrow heads and Indian paintings in certain areas as well, but not a good investment for land, maybe a 100 years from now otherwise.......

Big +1 on staying away from Chicos Tacos!  Don't know why some people like those tacos so much.  The crotch out of a dead skunk is more appealing.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 4:44:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Lol, why did they put in road beds before running sewer / utilities?
View Quote

They look like dirt roads on Google Earth, but could just be dusty
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 4:52:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Some of that area north of Fabens used to be a bombing range in WWII! You can find a practice bomb or parts in certain areas and if you know where to look you can find belts of .50 BMG out there.

There may be an odd house or mobile home out there with people that may live for a bit then move away.  Some arrow heads and Indian paintings in certain areas as well, but not a good investment for land, maybe a 100 years from now otherwise.......

Big +1 on staying away from Chicos Tacos!  Don't know why some people like those tacos so much.  The crotch out of a dead skunk is more appealing.
View Quote

Whoa, that's cool about the bombing range and Indian paintings!

So what's the good taco spot? Haha
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 4:55:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Almost anywhere else, Texans love tacos and El Paso is no exception
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 5:26:13 PM EDT
[#16]
La Malinche is good for the chicken tacos, I've never tried the ground beef ones.  There's crispy shell tacos and the soft ones and this varies from place to place.  Some of the best ones are family run small restaurants.  It's more home cooking than bigger chain type of places.  Also the west Texas Mexican food is different from the Austin Tex mex or down south as far as Brownsville.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 9:52:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't like the food in El Paso much at all.

I'm from South Texas and the TexMex is totally different over by the Rio Grande Valley.
El Paso is next to a totally different part of Mexico.
They seem to want to coat everything with a thin red sauce over there.
They use the same sauce at Chicos, I thought it was some kind of soup.

Now for a steak, Cattleman's just outside of El Paso was excellent.
I got the Cowboy, it's a 2lb T-Bone, it was awesome.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 10:57:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Totally disagree on the sauce! The slop they serve at Chicos is watery, tomato based mop water.  I don't know where you ate but I haven't seen where everyone wants to put red sauce on everything and if they do use a salsa de chile colorado, it's not the Chicos mop water.

The distinction between Tex Mex and Mexican food is that, ones Tex Mex and ones Mexican and the valley version of asado doesn't live up to the name. As my boss use to say "Nuff said!"
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 11:26:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Totally disagree on the sauce! The slop they serve at Chicos is watery, tomato based mop water.  I don't know where you ate but I haven't seen where everyone wants to put red sauce on everything and if they do use a salsa de chile colorado, it's not the Chicos mop water.

The distinction between Tex Mex and Mexican food is that, ones Tex Mex and ones Mexican and the valley version of asado doesn't live up to the name. As my boss use to say "Nuff said!"
View Quote

Nope, even Taco Cabana (a frickin' chain restaurant) puts that or similar red sauce on their food in El Paso. - unlike any taco cabana I have ever been to

El Paso is across the border from the Mexican state of Chihuahua,
South Texas is across from the state of Tamaulipas.
cuisine is not the same.

ETA:
My wife didn't like the Mexican food there,
and her family has lived in South Texas since it was part of Mexico.
(The border crossed her )
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 8:23:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Is it ok to have a fire or shoot out there? Assuming there is some kind of safe backstop, not flat land. (This would be on the 5 acre plot my dad owns)
View Quote
Yeah you can have fires out here, but it really depends on exactly where.  A lot of us going shooting right up against the Hueco Mountains.  If you follow Horizon Blvd all the way to the end, you run right into the mountains.

If you look at the map, most of the roads to the east of Horizon are dirt.  
+1 for Cattleman's Steak House.  They raise and slaughter their own beef.
Chico's is an El Paso thing and an aquired taste.  Though I did take 4 coolers worth of the tacos and gallons of the sauce to a platoon of Marines in 29 Palms several years back when my brother was in 3/7.  They ate that shit up and totally regretted it the next day while doing PT.

If you have any other questions let me know.  I have lived here a long time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top