Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/16/2017 4:42:28 AM EDT
Hey all. A little about myself, I'm originally from Upstate New York and just spent the last 4 years in the Marines (most of which was spend in Camp Pendleton). I moved to Corpus Christi mid December when I got out. The itch to get back into hunting is getting difficult to fight sense I haven't hunted in the last 4 years. I was interesting in hog sense I missed deer season.

Is hunting on state land out here worth while? I did a lot of hunting on state lands in New York and had decent luck. Back then it was only for White tail, turkey, fox and squirrel. I have zero experience hunting hog and would like to find some guidance with it. I've always wanted to hog hunt but would hate to spend hundreds for a guided hunt for something thats considered a nuisance.
Am I expecting to much looking for cheap/ free hog hunting?
I'm also open to really any type of hunting.
Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. My apology if i'm beating a dead horse here.

I'm also looking for people to go shooting with, my wife enjoys shooting but no where near as much as me. And any recommendations on shooting ranges in the area. Im willing to travel if it's worth the experience.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 9:34:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Texas has virtually zero public hunting lands and most land owners want $100's just to sit on their land for a day or two.

This is why I drive all the way to Missouri to hunt
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 10:07:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I'm also looking for people to go shooting with, my wife enjoys shooting but no where near as much as me. And any recommendations on shooting ranges in the area. Im willing to travel if it's worth the experience.
View Quote

Can't help you with the hogs, but for gun ranges take the drive over to Rockport to Aransas Firearms.  Family owned range.  The owner is a friend and a great guy. The indoor range over on S. Staples is not well supervised, meaning people do all sort of stupid, unsafe things on the range, and the thug factor is high.

There is a place out in the Calallen/Annaville area, but I have never shot there.  There is also an outdoor range on Yorktown east of Rodd Field.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 2:05:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Public land hunts are a pain.   Have to register for a drawing.  Chances are slim.  Cost to register, costs to hunt,  lots of can't walk rules.  Check TPW website for listings and rules.

Private land hunts are best.   And yes, will cost you hundreds.   There are lots of 60 to 100 acre day hunts.....won't ever get a shot there.  
$1500+ for decent 500 acre+ leases shared with lots of others.

Best bet.....would be one of the several hog hunting guide services between Corpus and Houston.   Helicopter hunts start at $600 per hour.  Much fun, much ammo.
Folks like    ThursdayMike....a member here....with postings...... will be a productive hunt.  He has Night Vision and Thermal which is essential for night hunts.
Dunno what his prices are.  He seems like a good ole boy.

Remeber..........If you don't post pics/videos.......It didn't happen.    Make us jealous.          Hogs can be hunted 24/7
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 2:11:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Nichols Shooting range in Calallen  is newest.   Staff is friendly.  Place is clean.  Nice

Starry Gun range on Yorktown is an outdoor range.   dirt road, a muddy mess when it rains.   Starry is a rude foul mouth asshole.   But, it is a 100 yard range

Off days and early hours are best for enjoyable shooting.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 3:43:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Look up corpus christi pistol and rifles club, I was a member there for a while. Lots of pistol and rifles bays, skeet, etc, and it was never crowded, shoot at your own pace, own targets, etc.

As for hogs, you will have to make friends with local farmers or pay a good old boy to take you
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 10:28:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Look up corpus christi pistol and rifles club, I was a member there for a while. Lots of pistol and rifles bays, skeet, etc, and it was never crowded, shoot at your own pace, own targets, etc.

As for hogs, you will have to make friends with local farmers or pay a good old boy to take you
View Quote

The CC P&RC is best place if you want to go shooting.  Stary is $10 a gun and IMO a very dangerous place to shoot.  I had a few guns pointed at me the times I went and never went back.  I shoot at the pistol rifle club almost every weekend and it a great place.  $144 a year and you can go unlimited amount of times.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 7:25:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm interested in the Corpus Christi pistol and rifle club but I was reading you have to have 2 current members sign off on you in order to join. What would be the best way to find 2 members?
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 1:57:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm interested in the Corpus Christi pistol and rifle club but I was reading you have to have 2 current members sign off on you in order to join. What would be the best way to find 2 members?
View Quote

Go to one on the meetings, introduce yourself and ask if anybody will sponsor you.  They always do.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 11:24:21 AM EDT
[#9]
OP I sent you an IM let me know I possibly have another member who will sign for you.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 3:37:49 PM EDT
[#10]
I haven't found much on pig hunting either, with all the surrounding farm land with wild hogs I would have though it would be easy finding a farmers land to help control the pig population, but no luck yet.

I am not much of a fan of indoor shooting and my wife cant take the noise and poor ventilation. I tried Starry Range last week for the first time, I know all the reviews are horrible about the owner but I had a fairly decent experience. I'm likely to go again.
But I must agree with EdgecrusherXES, there really aren't any rules and maybe I was just lucky, but my buddy and I were the only ones on the range that day, so didn't have to worry about others. I took my carry class at CCP&RC and may look in to membership if I can convince myself to pay the membership fees, not sure if it would be worth it in the amount I go and shoot.
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 5:36:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I haven't found much on pig hunting either, with all the surrounding farm land with wild hogs I would have though it would be easy finding a farmers land to help control the pig population, but no luck yet.

I am not much of a fan of indoor shooting and my wife cant take the noise and poor ventilation. I tried Starry Range last week for the first time, I know all the reviews are horrible about the owner but I had a fairly decent experience. I'm likely to go again.
But I must agree with EdgecrusherXES, there really aren't any rules and maybe I was just lucky, but my buddy and I were the only ones on the range that day, so didn't have to worry about others. I took my carry class at CCP&RC and may look in to membership if I can convince myself to pay the membership fees, not sure if it would be worth it in the amount I go and shoot.
View Quote

For me Starry would be to expensive $10 a gun and sometimes I take 5-6 pistols at a time alone to the range.  Versus the CCPRC is 144 a year and I go almost every weekend.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 7:51:52 AM EDT
[#12]
My uncle subleases hog hunts during the off season (such as now until November)

I don't remember what he charges. I think it's $100 per hunter Friday through sunday. Unlimited pigs.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 12:04:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Can't help you with the hogs, but for gun ranges take the drive over to Rockport to Aransas Firearms.  Family owned range.  The owner is a friend and a great guy. The indoor range over on S. Staples is not well supervised, meaning people do all sort of stupid, unsafe things on the range, and the thug factor is high.

There is a place out in the Calallen/Annaville area, but I have never shot there.  There is also an outdoor range on Yorktown east of Rodd Field.
View Quote

I'm a member at the one in Calallen.  I believe it's lone star rifle range.  It's on Craigslist, just search rifle range.  Contact Bobby Luna.

Has a really nice pistol range.  Rifle Range is 100 yds.  Also has a skeet thrower.  $150 per year, open from sunrise to sunset.  

I've been going there for almost 2 years and have only seen other people there once.  Feels like my own private range.

If you ever want to go and try it out, hit me up sometime and maybe we can schedule something.  You can bring a guest.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 12:55:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Last I heard Bobby Luna was also doing CHL classes.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 4:26:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Is this something new?  I never had to do that, I just went to the front office and they told me to attend an orientation on a certain date.
anyhow I'm a member so if need another person just hit me up.  As long as you ain't an idiot I'll vouch for you.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 11:00:16 PM EDT
[#16]
I appreciate it guys. I'll be heading to the corpus Christi pistol and rifle club soon. I've been busy with the DMV for the last few weeks (transferring an out of state expired license). I'll let those of you who offered know if I need a recommendation. My ar10 should be done shortly as well so some range time is much needed.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 10:16:21 AM EDT
[#17]
I loved the range in Ingleside.  Is was cheap and during the week always had the place to myself.  Just dont shoot his cows
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 12:30:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Biggest problem in texas is farmers not wanting free help in ridding feral hogs off their land. Ive asked a couple and they all wanted money. Lol yeaaa this is why you have a problem with them. So continue to have the issue and good luck.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 5:26:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Biggest problem in texas is farmers not wanting free help in ridding feral hogs off their land. Ive asked a couple and they all wanted money. Lol yeaaa this is why you have a problem with them. So continue to have the issue and good luck.
View Quote

You wouldn't put a dent in the population shooting them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top