Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 7:35:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Your friend has good tastes, I've got a new bottle of Jeffersons Ocean (8th voyage) that I need to open.  Start travelling for work week this week though, will be a while.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 9:22:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I have voyages 8 and 5. The 5 barrel select I much prefer over the 8. Unbelievable how different they are.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 5:36:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

As I said before, OK

I showed a photo of my bottle,
it clearly says "Produced" that word was chosen for a reason.

ETA: I have e-mailed them and I am waiting for a response.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a simple question,
does your bottle say anywhere on it "Distilled"?

because every bottle of actual "made in Texas" whiskey I have (Garrison Brothers, Ranger Creek) all say "Distilled"

Again, I'm not saying they do not make it here NOW.
Haven't looked.  Have no idea.  I'm not arguing at this point.  My request is you take the tour.  Present your evidence and bring the answer back to us.  This seems to be a much bigger deal to you.  I was given both my bottles.  I'm totally content with information I have as it applies to my life. 

As I said before, OK

I showed a photo of my bottle,
it clearly says "Produced" that word was chosen for a reason.

ETA: I have e-mailed them and I am waiting for a response.
In case you didn't get a response, I got a same day response, so I will post mine.

Thanks for contacting us directly with your questions! I'm sure it's some of the others you're holding the discussion with, but I've received 2 or 3 other similar questions in the last day or so, which is highly unusual. 
I hope you don't mind, but I'll just copy and paste my response to the last person who reached out to us:
--- Thanks for the link to the article. I do remember the writer and remember when he came out to our old place. Although I wasn't there for the entire discussion, I don't remember anything that was said when I was present that could have led to his conclusions. We were running a few experiments back then, which could have caused some confusion, but they weren't with bourbon specifically. He also notes that we're blending / offering a blended whiskey, which we've never done either. ---
And as I mentioned to the last person, I would encourage you to come out for a visit. We open our doors to guests every weekend and hold an open discussion about spirits in general and our products. Although I can't promise that we would never source in the future (if demand outweighs our current production capacity, there could come a time when it would be necessary), we are making our whiskey in-house now. 
I do hope this helps to answer some of your questions, but don't hesitate to contact me anytime if there is anything else I can do to help. We appreciate the passion so many people have for good whiskey and are glad to be included in the conversation!

Kind regards,
Natasha

So I have now it by word over the phone and in writing.  Not sure what else is needed.  But Witherspoon distilled/distills their whiskey in Lewisville.  END OF STORY!
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 9:23:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

So I have now it by word over the phone and in writing.  Not sure what else is needed.  But Witherspoon distilled/distills their whiskey in Lewisville.  END OF STORY!
View Quote

Well forensic evidence, combined with a sworn statement under oath...

I will make it down some weekend for a tour and will ask why their label doesn't say "Distilled In Texas" when that should be a point of pride.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 10:15:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Well forensic evidence, combined with a sworn statement under oath...

I will make it down some weekend for a tour and will ask why their label doesn't say "Distilled In Texas" when that should be a point of pride.
View Quote
I don't know the regulations.  But short of some regulation where they have to say it, it is splitting hairs.  I wouldn't give it a second thought.  Unless somebody can show me a regulation that says they have to say it, I think way to much is being made of that. 
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 10:40:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I don't know the regulations.  But short of some regulation where they have to say it, it is splitting hairs.  I wouldn't give it a second thought.  Unless somebody can show me a regulation that says they have to say it, I think way to much is being made of that. 
View Quote

There actually is a regulation, which is where the sturm und drang is coming from. There are a lot of Texas whiskey producers who are not following it and the Feds are dragging their feet in many cases in enforcement.

The Wikipedia page on bourbon summarizes it, and there's additional regulations enforced by the Alcohol Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB) on labeling. TLDR the parts that get ignored that rile booze hounds up are the state of distillation and age statements for whiskey under four years.

Saying 'distilled in Texas' on your label when it's not is perjury and if enforced, would land Quentin in hot water as he signed the TTB form. Which is why the assumption is why any 'Texas Produced' whiskey was made in another state and aged or bottled here.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 10:44:55 PM EDT
[#7]
On a completely different note, I just opened my Garrison Brothers 2015 Straight Bourbon (Aged 3 years, says so right on the bottle).

It's fantastic.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 11:16:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
On a completely different note, I just opened my Garrison Brothers 2015 Straight Bourbon (Aged 3 years, says so right on the bottle).

It's fantastic.
View Quote
No doubt in my mind.  The Garrison I have had is extremely good.  Very fine hooch.

*I am still not very wrapped around the axle on the difference between produced and distilled right now.  If there is a regulation requiring you to say distilled in _________ then I would get concerned.  
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 12:55:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
In case you didn't get a response, I got a same day response, so I will post mine.

Thanks for contacting us directly with your questions! I'm sure it's some of the others you're holding the discussion with, but I've received 2 or 3 other similar questions in the last day or so, which is highly unusual. 
I hope you don't mind, but I'll just copy and paste my response to the last person who reached out to us:
--- Thanks for the link to the article. I do remember the writer and remember when he came out to our old place. Although I wasn't there for the entire discussion, I don't remember anything that was said when I was present that could have led to his conclusions. We were running a few experiments back then, which could have caused some confusion, but they weren't with bourbon specifically. He also notes that we're blending / offering a blended whiskey, which we've never done either. ---
And as I mentioned to the last person, I would encourage you to come out for a visit. We open our doors to guests every weekend and hold an open discussion about spirits in general and our products. Although I can't promise that we would never source in the future (if demand outweighs our current production capacity, there could come a time when it would be necessary), we are making our whiskey in-house now. 
I do hope this helps to answer some of your questions, but don't hesitate to contact me anytime if there is anything else I can do to help. We appreciate the passion so many people have for good whiskey and are glad to be included in the conversation!

Kind regards,
Natasha

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Kind regards,
Natasha

I have actually gotten two emails from Natasha so far. - What you posted is part of one of them.

Neither of the e-mails confirm the whiskey is or was always distilled here in Texas. Both emails either use the word "produced" or "made",
Unfortunately, neither of those mean distilled.

I have e-mailed her one last time, asking specifically if all the whiskey they have sold was distilled in Texas.

Notice the area I boldfaced in your post. "We are making our whiskey in-house now" - why would she say that? where was it made before?

One of the e-mails I received is also a concern because she wrote:
"we make our bourbon and single malt in-house. And although we've been busy laying down as much whiskey as possible over the past years to keep up with demand, but have also just decided to release our unaged bourbon in the coming months.
That would not be bourbon, that would be un-aged whiskey, bourbon requires aging in a NEW oak charred barrel.

My response was a little different, as she did address my question bout the wording on the label:
As for the wording on the bottle, I've started migrating all of our packaging to say "produced". Although we're working to throttle growth appropriately for our production schedule, if we were to grow quickly (we have been "warned" by distribution that this is coming), I want to leave the door open to potential sourcing.

So, shes saying they specifically use the word "produce" so they can source it elsewhere, but the origin of the whiskey would need to be disclosed on the label as well.

As for legal requirements, there is a legal requirement that if the whiskey is not distilled at the address on the bottle, then the source must be listed.
This is why there was a complaint made against them.
Boring read, but this is the law

Now, all this being said, they may very well be distilling all their whiskey now.
But I still believe this was not always the case when I purchased my bottles.
If she would just put in writing that they have distilled all their whiskey, it would make things much easier.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 9:27:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I have actually gotten two emails from Natasha so far. - What you posted is part of one of them.

Neither of the e-mails confirm the whiskey is or was always distilled here in Texas. Both emails either use the word "produced" or "made",
Unfortunately, neither of those mean distilled.

I have e-mailed her one last time, asking specifically if all the whiskey they have sold was distilled in Texas.

Notice the area I boldfaced in your post. "We are making our whiskey in-house now" - why would she say that? where was it made before?

One of the e-mails I received is also a concern because she wrote:
"we make our bourbon and single malt in-house. And although we've been busy laying down as much whiskey as possible over the past years to keep up with demand, but have also just decided to release our unaged bourbon in the coming months.
That would not be bourbon, that would be un-aged whiskey, bourbon requires aging in a NEW oak charred barrel.

My response was a little different, as she did address my question bout the wording on the label:

So, shes saying they specifically use the word "produce" so they can source it elsewhere, but the origin of the whiskey would need to be disclosed on the label as well.

As for legal requirements, there is a legal requirement that if the whiskey is not distilled at the address on the bottle, then the source must be listed.
This is why there was a complaint made against them.
Boring read, but this is the law

Now, all this being said, they may very well be distilling all their whiskey now.
But I still believe this was not always the case when I purchased my bottles.
If she would just put in writing that they have distilled all their whiskey, it would make things much easier.
View Quote
OK
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 9:50:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
OK
View Quote

I'm not arguing with you, I'm arguing with them.

You are willing to accept their statement that they make their whiskey here to mean they distill it here.
Fine. Enjoy it.
It is a perfectly good bourbon. I have bottles of it.

When I first discovered "Texas" was making whiskey and bourbons, I went on a buying/tasting spree.
It wasn't until later when I was talking about Texas whiskeys that it was pointed out to me that some distilleries were buying unaged whiskey from out of state,
aging and finishing it here or just buying barrels of bourbon from out of state,
then bottling it here and labeling it as a Texas product. - I bought some of those items, so I am a little suspicious at this point.

What I found out is that they are allowed to use words like "produced", "bottled", "crafted" without having to actually distill the whiskey themselves.
Their use of the word "produce" is what makes the product suspect. In two e-mails they have danced around the "distilled" question.

A complaint was filed against Witherspoons with the TABC for not labeling their product correctly.

Every bottle of whiskey or bourbon that I have that was distilled here says "distilled" right on the bottle.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 3:51:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You are willing to accept their statement that they make their whiskey here to mean they distill it here.
Fine. Enjoy it.

When I first discovered "Texas" was making whiskey and bourbons, I went on a buying/tasting spree.
It wasn't until later when I was talking about Texas whiskeys that it was pointed out to me that some distilleries were buying unaged whiskey from out of state,
aging and finishing it here or just buying barrels of bourbon from out of state,
then bottling it here and labeling it as a Texas product. - I bought some of those items, so I am a little suspicious at this point.

What I found out is that they are allowed to use words like "produced", "bottled", "crafted" without having to actually distill the whiskey themselves.
Their use of the word "produce" is what makes the product suspect. In two e-mails they have danced around the "distilled" question.

A complaint was filed against Witherspoons with the TABC for not labeling their product correctly.

Every bottle of whiskey or bourbon that I have that was distilled here says "distilled" right on the bottle.
View Quote
I'm just interested in knowing the correct facts.  I don't care to argue. I asked them if they have distilled here?  If they ever blended it, etc.  

They have answered my questions, in NO UNCERTAIN TERMS.  You disagree.  Your choice.  I'm not sure you are correct.  But whatever no big deal.  Just waiting for you to offer any real proof.  

I have seen their still.  I have asked them.  I am good.  No worries, we agree to disagree.  If I am proven wrong eventually, no worries. 
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 11:41:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'm just interested in knowing the correct facts.  I don't care to argue. I asked them if they have distilled here?  If they ever blended it, etc.  

They have answered my questions, in NO UNCERTAIN TERMS.  You disagree.  Your choice.  I'm not sure you are correct.  But whatever no big deal.  Just waiting for you to offer any real proof.  

I have seen their still.  I have asked them.  I am good.  No worries, we agree to disagree.  If I am proven wrong eventually, no worries. 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fine. Enjoy it.

You are certainly entitled to believe what you want.

My e-mail to them last night specifically asked them if all the whiskey that Witherspoons has sold was distilled here in Texas.
I have received no response.

If you have an e-mail that states all their whiskey has been distilled in Texas, please post it.

Whether you choose to believe it or not,
Made, produced, bottled, crafted do not mean distilled.
Those are words that are used when they cannot legally say "Distilled"

I am not saying they do not have a distillery. I am not saying they do not distill spirits.

What I am saying is that there is a reason they choose to label their Texas Straight Bourbon Whiskey simply as "produced"

This thread started about Firestone and Robertson TX Straight Bourbon Whiskey.
Their website leaves absolutely no doubt where the ingredients come from and where it is distilled.
Witherspoons does not do that.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 7:29:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Fuck, you two need a drink.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 9:11:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Fuck, you two need a drink.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/26/2017 9:57:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You are certainly entitled to believe what you want.

My e-mail to them last night specifically asked them if all the whiskey that Witherspoons has sold was distilled here in Texas.
I have received no response.

If you have an e-mail that states all their whiskey has been distilled in Texas, please post it.

Whether you choose to believe it or not,
Made, produced, bottled, crafted do not mean distilled.
Those are words that are used when they cannot legally say "Distilled"

I am not saying they do not have a distillery. I am not saying they do not distill spirits.

What I am saying is that there is a reason they choose to label their Texas Straight Bourbon Whiskey simply as "produced"

This thread started about Firestone and Robertson TX Straight Bourbon Whiskey.
Their website leaves absolutely no doubt where the ingredients come from and where it is distilled.
Witherspoons does not do that.
View Quote
OK
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 10:51:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Hey boys!

Score!!!

Went to the store to get just the reg TX for my upcoming trip to Shreveport, stumbled into it in a store I rarely visit!

Going to be an interesting trip. While I got this, a buddy of mine picked up a bottle of the Ocean 8.  

So, it is going to be a direct head to head taste test of better whiskey/bourbon!
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 10:56:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Hey boys!

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/135833/image-134975.jpg

Score!!!

Went to the store to get just the reg TX for my upcoming trip to Shreveport, stumbled into it in a store I rarely visit!
View Quote
Where?  Sherman, Dennison?
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 10:58:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Where?  Sherman, Dennison?
View Quote

Waaaaaay west amigo

Abilene

You gotta pass thru a lot of Texas to get to where I am!
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 11:22:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Waaaaaay west amigo

Abilene

You gotta pass thru a lot of Texas to get to where I am!
View Quote
Meh... I was in Weatherford today...
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 11:36:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Think I'll swing by Witherspoons next Saturday.  Would go tomorrow but the boys have pinewood derby...
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 8:44:22 PM EDT
[#22]
I scored a bottle of TX bourbon today and I gotta say I'm a little disappointed. I thought it would be smoother, a lititle like the TX blended stuff but not as sweet. It's just a little to spicy for my taste.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:08:48 PM EDT
[#23]
I was lucky enough to find a bottle of the TX Bourbon at Specks
and tried it as soon as I got home.

I think it's excellent.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:35:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Any of you guys tried Cyprus Cove?  I believe it's made by Rebecca Creek or at least that's what my google fu has come up with.  For the price it's pretty dang good.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:17:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I picked up one of the few remaining bottles today.  Anybody opened theirs?   

Supposedly the supply company screwed up and only made 2000 lids instead of 20,000.  So the first bottling is way short.  Anybody heard of this?

*also meant to include, if you opened and tasted what were your thoughts?
View Quote

I started a thread about this in the beginning of March, most of the replies were of the flavor " If it ain't made in Kentucky, it ain't shit"!
I liked it and drank the whole thing!!!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 1:43:17 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I started a thread about this in the beginning of March, most of the replies were of the flavor " If it ain't made in Kentucky, it ain't shit"!
I liked it and drank the whole thing!!!

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/175733/IMG-3924-173897.JPG
View Quote
Just finished my taxes and am about to open my bottle of TX Bourbon.  I expect it will be quite tasty.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 2:00:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Distilled and bottled in Garland.

Link Posted: 4/9/2017 2:05:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 9:19:29 PM EDT
[#29]
There for awhile I was finding the TX bourbon easily throughout town.  

I havent seen a bottle now in 3 wks
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 1:10:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Also I thought Witherspoon was distillled in Lewisville?   
View Quote
It is. I toured the place myself on Saturday, and left with a bottle. It's delicious. 

Pretty fun tour, too. 
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 7:55:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Got a bottle this evening and I have to say it's not my favorite. Doubt I'll ever buy it again.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top