Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/13/2017 11:23:51 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 8:16:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Absolutely ridiculous.

Equipment decisions like this need to be made at the local level, not in Austin.

Patrick is turning out to be a giant clown, first bathrooms now this. You would think he was a big govt democrat.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 5:56:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Absolutely ridiculous.

Equipment decisions like this need to be made at the local level, not in Austin.

Patrick is turning out to be a giant clown, first bathrooms now this. You would think he was a big govt democrat.
View Quote

The state is not buying vests.  They are providing funding for those at the local level to purchase them if they so choose.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 6:12:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

The state is not buying vests.  They are providing funding for those at the local level to purchase them if they so choose.
View Quote

So they are still buying them...
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 7:01:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Is this something individual officers want? I can't imagine there's a lot of police officers who want to carry around an extra 10 pounds of gear.

If the cops actually want the vests, I'm okay with it. The cost of a plate carrier and plates can be as low as $500; you can't train a replacement cop for $500.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 8:44:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Absolutely ridiculous.

View Quote

According to the news article, it's a "grant program". "Departments apply for what they need".

Sounds like a pretty local decision to me. I dont see an issue with this.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 1:24:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Is this something individual officers want? I can't imagine there's a lot of police officers who want to carry around an extra 10 pounds of gear.

If the cops actually want the vests, I'm okay with it. The cost of a plate carrier and plates can be as low as $500; you can't train a replacement cop for $500.
View Quote

It's a lot less than that. I've got a crye PC and ceramics for less than that.

I'd much rather see this happen with some kind of state bond where the state loans municipalities the money and they get friendly rates or something.  It could be cost neutral to the state and get the LEOs who want it into armor they may not be able to have otherwise.  I'd rather the state didn't just pass it out like candy.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 1:25:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

According to the news article, it's a "grant program". "Departments apply for what they need".

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Absolutely ridiculous.

Will you have an issue with it when it shows up on ebay? Because it's going to show up on ebay.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 1:59:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Will you have an issue with it when it shows up on ebay? Because it's going to show up on ebay.
View Quote

I definitely have a problem with theft, especially when committed by a police officer. When it happens it should be prosecuted.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top