Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/12/2017 12:28:49 AM EDT
The sandwich maker has taken up gardening as a hobby and is trying to grow an avocado tree. We have a seed that is sprouting but she said she needs to "graft" the seed with a branch of a tree thats already producing fruit....?? Anyhow, figured id see if anyone here has one.....
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 8:46:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 9:28:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I was told that you have to grow in a controlled area for the first three years then you can put it outside. I have had three of them and none made it pass the first cold snap. I have not tried the three year thing yet that is next.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 10:44:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Love me some avocado, so I looked into trying to grow a tree.  Long story short, it's not going to happen around here (I'm Dallas area).  Climate just isn't right. You might get the tree to grow but you won't get avocados.
View Quote

I've never seen one around Dallas, ever, not even experimentally, too damn hot and too damn cold. If you dropped $10k into a small climate controlled greenhouse or LED growing chamber you could pull it off after a few years of growing.

Or you could go down to the mexican grocery store and buy small avocados 3 for $1. I usually shop at El Rancho once a week.

EL RANCHO

Oh, the big ones are on sale this week for 68 cents!
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 11:33:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I was told that you have to grow in a controlled area for the first three years then you can put it outside. I have had three of them and none made it pass the first cold snap. I have not tried the three year thing yet that is next.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/13/2017 3:28:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Man I have tried quite a few times, they get about 2 or 3 ft tall and die....I gave up..
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 7:44:44 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a MAgr in horticulture from TAMU.

You would have better luck pissing up a rope in a strong cross wind.

Wrong climate.  I also believe there is an avocado "rust" that is unavoidable.

Avocados are very labor intensive.  It's the only way you can afford to grow them on a commercial basis is essentially mass production.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 9:20:15 PM EDT
[#7]
He moved to Houston and still doesn't produce.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 12:52:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Meh, dunno if i wanna break the news to her. She said she read that maybe 1 in 10 will produce avocados if you can get it to stay alive, so she doesnt have high hopes. She's having fun growing things, so if shes happy, im happy lol The lettuce and herbs have been really good so far.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 1:47:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 3:08:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Save about 8 years and buy a 5' tall avocado plant.   They take forever to produce.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 12:12:49 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a Mexicola Avocado tree. Don't know if it a Grande or just Mexicola.

It just kicked a 22 degree night on its ass.

It is about 5 years old and has gone through one 18 degree night.

Two years ago it made one Avocado
last year it made about 20
I only got one because most fell off prematurely or were knocked off by squirrels .
It has a skin that is edible and taste kind of like licorice.  The meat inside is supposed to be very good but the one example I got was not fully ripe so I don't know how it will turn out.

It is about 7 feet tall and 8 feet wide

They, Avocados,  have a lot of trouble with sun scald and one thing I have found by watching several die is that they need sun but not too much.
They need water all the time but they must be well drained and above grade in South East Texas.
This one is next to a fig that gives it shade in the summer and two pecans that allow it to get a break from the sun but during the winter it gets full sun

I will try to post some pictures later

Its been about 7 days since the 22 and it is just about ready to bloom and there are a lot of them ready to open.  It is somewhat self pollinating or there are others nearby but while bees don't touch it the damn yellow jacks and wasp flock to it when it blooms

I think this year will tell the tale.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 1:19:45 AM EDT
[#12]
If you figure that out grow a cumquat tree next.  I want one so bad.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 9:45:54 AM EDT
[#13]
We had a beautiful kumquat tree here in Houston, raised from tiny sprig over 10 years.  Produced great fruit and made jelly several times.  Last year we had so much rain from April to June it died, couldn't believe it.

Avocado will produce in 2 years if it likes the area its in, well drained and NOT direct sunlight.

Good luck!

Hking
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:54:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Attachment Attached File

I found this today and it's the only info I have.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 10:16:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/166748/IMG-9782-148051.JPG

I found this today and it's the only info I have.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 11:23:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Houston Master gardeners is having a tree and tomato sale at the Pasadena fairgrounds this Saturday.  They will have avocado trees that are good for this area on sale.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 12:15:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Houston Master gardeners is having a tree and tomato sale at the Pasadena fairgrounds this Saturday.  They will have avocado trees that are good for this area on sale.
View Quote

They usually have fantastic shows/events. I remember going to them with my dad when I was little.

I got one of those free oak trees to plan that the base was wrapped in news paper. Damn cussed that thing until he moved. Apparently it grew faster than he thought.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top