Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/2/2017 3:50:49 PM EDT
I was submitting some results from a recent LTC Class that I taught, and I noticed one of the changes on the site was to submit School Safety Certificate results.  As I dug into it, it's apparently a course taught to teachers who desire to carry in schools.

It looks like there's only been a few classes of instructors, so I'm thinking about jumping into this early.  Anyone already done this?
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 9:20:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I was submitting some results from a recent LTC Class that I taught, and I noticed one of the changes on the site was to submit School Safety Certificate results.  As I dug into it, it's apparently a course taught to teachers who desire to carry in schools.

It looks like there's only been a few classes of instructors, so I'm thinking about jumping into this early.  Anyone already done this?
View Quote

<---Teacher

Discussed atTX CHL Forum

The School Safety certification we were required to take in my district had to do with incident management, not anything to do with carrying a firearm. It looks like DPS has a School Safety Certification that is geared toward firearms training, yet the Texas School Safety Center has the same name for its emergency incident management program:TSSC School Safety Certification

While there is an 80 hour School Marshal training program for school employees, it can only be one SM for every 400 students.
The legislature has also authorized a "Guardian Plan" where the district designates certain employees as allowed to carry on school premises. There is no limit to the number of armed teachers under the Guardian Plan and a CHL/LTC or training is not required. No law permits a teacher to carry a firearm on school premises without consent of his school district.

I can't find anything on the DPS website that explains what this course is supposed to do.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 10:13:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I found very little about what this truly is, so I suppose I may be getting in on the ground floor!  Grand total cost of $100, so I think it's worth the price.  Probably another trip to the DPS range (and what a range it is!).  I did read that thread, Tom.  Not much in the way of info.

This sounds like a course that will be a prerequisite for training a school marshal.

Sec. 1701.260.  TRAINING FOR HOLDERS OF LICENSE TO CARRY A HANDGUN; CERTIFICATION OF ELIGIBILITY FOR APPOINTMENT AS SCHOOL MARSHAL.  (a)  The commission shall establish and maintain a training program open to any employee of a school district, open-enrollment charter school, or public junior college who holds a license to carry a handgun issued under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code.  The training may be conducted only by the commission staff or a provider approved by the commission.

(b)  The commission shall collect from each person who participates in the training program identifying information that includes the person's name, the person's date of birth, the license number of the license issued to the person under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, and the address of the person's place of employment.
(c)  The training program shall include 80 hours of instruction designed to:
(1)  emphasize strategies for preventing school shootings and for securing the safety of potential victims of school shootings;
(2)  educate a trainee about legal issues relating to the duties of peace officers and the use of force or deadly force in the protection of others;
(3)  introduce the trainee to effective law enforcement strategies and techniques;
(4)  improve the trainee's proficiency with a handgun; and
(5)  enable the trainee to respond to an emergency situation requiring deadly force, such as a situation involving an active shooter.
View Quote

And Texas Government Code §411.1901
(a) The department shall establish a process to enable qualified handgun instructors certified under Section 411.190 to obtain an additional certification in school safety.  The process must include a school safety certification course that provides training in the following:

(1) the protection of students;
(2) interaction of license holders with first responders;
(3) tactics for denying an intruder entry into a classroom or school facility; ?and
(4) methods for increasing a license holder's accuracy with a handgun while under duress.
(b) The school safety certification course under Subsection (a) must include not less than 15 hours and not more than 20 hours of instruction.
<Text of (c) effective January 1, 2016>

(c) A qualified handgun instructor certified in school safety under this section may provide school safety training, including instruction in the subjects listed under Subsection (a), to employees of a school district or an open-enrollment charter school who hold a license to carry a concealed handgun issued under this subchapter.

(d) The department shall establish a fee in an amount that is sufficient to cover the costs of the school safety certification under this section.

(e) The department may adopt rules to administer this section.
- See more at: http://codes.findlaw.com/tx/government-code/gov-t-sect-411-1901.html#sthash.LAsjpQoW.dpuf
View Quote

I'm thinking its a change where training will now be able to be provided by private instructors, vice DPS only.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 10:20:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Also this gem:

§37.0811. SCHOOL MARSHALS
...The written regulations must also require that a
handgun carried by or within access of a school marshal may be loaded only with
frangible ammunition designed to disintegrate on impact for maximum safety and
minimal danger to others.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/2/2017 11:14:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
..... cost of $100, so I think it's worth the price.  .
View Quote

It would be if school districts actually permitted or encouraged the School Marshal program or Guardian Plan. Fact is.........they don't. In short, you may never earn your $100 back.

School boards see employees with guns as a financial liability they don't want any part of. A pathetically small number of districts in Texas (less than ten by my last count) permit employees to be armed on school premises. In Plano, one of the attorneys the district uses said PISD would never take part in the School Marshal or Guardian Plan.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 1:19:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

It would be if school districts actually permitted or encouraged the School Marshal program or Guardian Plan. Fact is.........they don't. In short, you may never earn your $100 back.

School boards see employees with guns as a financial liability they don't want any part of. A pathetically small number of districts in Texas (less than ten by my last count) permit employees to be armed on school premises. In Plano, one of the attorneys the district uses said PISD would never take part in the School Marshal or Guardian Plan.
View Quote

I was about to write the check for this back in early December.  Talked it over with another instructor and pulled the plug.  I'd never teach this class to a teacher from Harris or a surrounding county.

Still a little tempted to just to add the credential, but not sure it's worth the hotel costs for the class.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 2:27:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I'd never teach this class to a teacher from Harris or a surrounding county.
View Quote

Think that they'll never have anyone want to do it?

Or is it for personal reasons?
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 3:07:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

.... I'd never teach this class to a teacher from Harris or a surrounding county...
View Quote

What does a teachers county of residence have to do with their right to self protection or the protection of their students?
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 3:28:38 PM EDT
[#8]
The school districts have their own police force. And it's Harris County...trending all Blue...they're never going to allow a teacher to carry on school property.

As DogtownTom said, it's all about CYA for the districts. Maybe some west Texas or pan handle school districts might allow it. 

Heck, look at the police response they had for that incident in Alpine not long ago.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 4:24:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

What does a teachers county of residence have to do with their right to self protection or the protection of their students?
View Quote

Not that [at] all.

After talking with another instructor and some HSCO and district officers, I realized it would just be a piece of paper. No real opportunities to teach the class unless it was part of some gig teaching to one of the very few districts that will allow it...and as you say, that's going to be covered by local instructors/departments.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 5:19:21 PM EDT
[#10]
So DPS just sent me an email saying that they've received, processed, and verified. Only took them a few months. That's actually pretty quick for them.

Now to wait for a class.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 10:49:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Annnnnnd I'm still waiting.  I did read on another forum that they have had a class or two.  Considering that my check was cashed on the 11th of January, I'm guessing there was a shuffle at DPS either in processing, or to get in favored folks.  The next class is tentatively scheduled for August, according to the person who returned my email.

Sucks that this looks to be a recertification year for LTC instructors as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top