Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/1/2016 9:21:39 PM EDT
So were any other Arfcommers going to the Appleseed shoot at Cawthon this weekend, which got cancelled due to the incoming torrential rain? If so, will you be going to the rescheduled event January 21-22? I convinced my cousin who just bought a beautiful new SR-25 ahead of a Hillary victory () to go and I was going with him, but now that plan's blown and he can't get off work for the rescheduled date.

I'm going to still go by myself next month because I've never done an Appleseed and it sounds like fun; want to see what they're about. Just curious if there will be any familiar usernames there!
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 1:36:42 AM EDT
[#1]
The College Station shoot boss is an arfcommer.

Are there any February or March weekend dates your cousin would prefer for another upcoming Appleseed?

Since we instructors suddenly have a free weekend we may meet for lunch to hammer out some Spring dates for the College Station Appleseed program.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 2:19:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Win.

I asked him. He's going to check with his managers and see if he can find out when he can get off in that timeframe tomorrow.

Fortunately I only need to use a mirror to consult my boss, so it's easier for me.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 11:34:53 AM EDT
[#3]
How many ARFCOMMERS go shoot at CCC?

I'm a member, and could use a shooting buddy or a few.

Wife was thinking about going this weekend, she never signed up, but is hoping to grab one of the next ones.  Likely because she's jealous of my Rifleman patch.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 11:07:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How many ARFCOMMERS go shoot at CCC?

I'm a member, and could use a shooting buddy or a few.

Wife was thinking about going this weekend, she never signed up, but is hoping to grab one of the next ones.  Likely because she's jealous of my Rifleman patch.
View Quote

I live 15min from there how much is a membership a year? Also what are the hours of operation?
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 5:19:28 PM EDT
[#5]
For fuck's sake! Naturally we get a HUMONGOUS rain that turns everything into a mudpit only a couple days before the shoot.

I guess the silver lining is this gives Optics Planet another month to get off their asses and ship me my backordered match trigger that I was supposed to have in two weeks, two weeks ago.
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 1:11:36 AM EDT
[#6]
It was a hard call. Hope February is better.
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 1:53:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, I saw the gusts to 50 mph forecast for Sunday a week ago and went "uh oh." Then it rained so much yesterday night and morning the lake behind my place was about to burst its banks. Repeat of last month, huge rain followed by tropical storm level winds. Le Sigh.

No problem with next month's date though, and I'll be able to use my Geissele trigger which I was irritated would not be in yet, so I'm good to go.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 8:01:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Wish I hadn't been precluded from attending the second day today. Problems at home and had to be here today.

I'm sure you all missed having the booming 16" .308 on the line.

That was a shitload of fun though even if I only got to do one day. Very different instruction and positions compared to how I was trained (especially prone, which was totally alien to me compared to how I learned to shoot prone). But I attended with the intent to act like I know nothing and do exactly as instructed, and the result was I learned some great "classic" shooting techniques that I really had no experience with prior and did not know how to do. Didn't hit rifleman on day 1, but I did hit Sharpshooter and I'm totally good with that.

Planning to attend either the April or May event and finish what we started!

Biggest lessons learned:

- Buy soft elbow pads. My elbows were practically raw after the first day from all the prone shooting, even after using a shooting jacket for the first half of the day when it was cold.

- VTAC sling actually works great for Appleseed. VTAC sling if used with the sniper cuff can perfectly emulate the instruction given for shooting with a USGI loop sling, and tightening it up to super-tight for standing and sitting positions emulates a hasty sling exceptionally well. If you've got a VTAC and want to attend an Appleseed, get the sniper cuff for when you're shooting prone, apply the same techniques they explain for shooting prone with the USGI sling in a loop, and go to town. I can say without a doubt my VCAS would've failed miserably if I'd used it instead though. Definitely go VTAC if you're bringing a modern sling to Appleseed.

- Buy something cool that breathes to wear around your neck. After all the effort put into getting great hits on sitting and rapid prone on the AQT, I killed my score and blew three of my prone shots on the AQT with complete misses after multiple burning .223 casings from the AR-15 shooting next to me flew into my collar and went down the back of my shirt. Tried to concentrate through it, but it just didn't work. Had red burn marks on my back where the casings settled when I went to shower after getting back.

- Don't be afraid to ask for help. Shooting prone at the start using how I was taught I was putting rounds almost through the same hole; they were just a bit left and up since I was zeroed for a different distance and ammo. My groups turned into shotgun patterns trying to shoot prone the way Appleseed taught. Couldn't get it tightened up, let the shoot boss know and he asked one of the instructors to give me a little one-on-one attention to figure out what I was doing wrong. Got my form right, and of own accord I also pulled the VTAC sniper cuff out of my bag and put it on, and my groups tightened right up.

- Not that you need a two-stage trigger for Appleseed, but as it happens I just got the Geissele SSF in for my Colt 901 the weekend prior to Appleseed, so this got to be my test run of the new trigger. Just the trigger alone made a HUGE difference in my standing/kneeling/sitting groups compared to using the stock Colt AR-15 trigger it comes with. Even if you're having a tough time holding steady because it's been a long day and your arm muscles are getting tired from holding a heavy .308, it made it easy to get hits where I wanted them by just holding at the end of the first stage, then applying the slight bit of extra pressure as my reticle swayed over where I wanted to hit, and bang, bullseye. Love the new trigger.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 3:36:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the advice.

Looking forward to hearing about spring dates for the Appleseed Shoot.

You never "know" too much, and I'd like my son to get the practical experience and instruction to get him off to a great start.

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 9:32:27 PM EDT
[#10]
The link below will take you to the schedule for Project Appleseed events for the rest of the year (though more may be added here and there).  Just click on TX to see what's available -- there are a bunch of events all over the state.  Kids are definitely welcome!

http://appleseedinfo.org/events/

Here is a quick list for the next few months:

March 2017
San AntonioTXMar 11-Mar 11
AliceTXMar 18-Mar 19
WacoTXMar 18-Mar 19

April 2017
San AntonioTXApr 21-Apr 22
College StationTXApr 22-Apr 23

May 2017
AliceTXMay 06-May 07
San AntonioTXMay 13-May 13
College StationTXMay 20-May 21
El PasoTXMay 20-May 21
WacoTXMay 20-May 21
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 12:53:07 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm attending June 17-18 in the Waco. I know it'll be hot, but I'll be able to get in the prone and kneeling position easier than in cooler weather.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top