Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/1/2016 8:10:45 PM EDT
Got nailed for no seatbelt because I had just taken min eoff to reach into the cab of my truck to buckle my 4 y/o son back up since he took his off. Austin PD. Said he would have let me off with warning but its 0 tolerance to he had to give me the ticket,

What are my options? There is a seat belt course but what other fees do I have to pay?
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 8:33:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Just pay it and move on.  What are they $50?

Not sure if you can do Defensive driving for that or not.....?
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 8:38:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just pay it and move on.  What are they $50?

Not sure if you can do Defensive driving for that or not.....?
View Quote

Paying it is $153 ,  goes on my record and my insurance can go up.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 8:59:58 PM EDT
[#3]
This type of ticket is chicken shit.    If an adult driver or passenger decides to be a organ donor then let them be one. Besides there is always a large number of people on waiting list.  In no way is someone going around without a belt on going to endanger me.   Now if it's a kid in a car seat that's a different story.

Can you ask the judge in Texas to allow it to be dismissed if you keep your nose clean for a year?
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 11:13:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
This type of ticket is chicken shit.    If an adult driver or passenger decides to be a organ donor then let them be one. Besides there is always a large number of people on waiting list.  In no way is someone going around without a belt on going to endanger me.   Now if it's a kid in a car seat that's a different story.

Can you ask the judge in Texas to allow it to be dismissed if you keep your nose clean for a year?
View Quote

Spoken like someone who has never had the joy of scraping someone off the highway because they were not wearing their seat belt. It's not very pleasant and shit I'll never forget. I would much rather put someone banged up into an ambulance than a body bag.

To the OP, see if you can do differed adjudication.  The "no tolerance" thing is BS. The department can't force an officer to write a ticket.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 11:22:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

Come on man... there are plenty of effects on society to warrant having seat belt laws. Economic loss, healthcare increases, taxes.... etc. etc.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 11:47:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Spoken like someone who has never had the joy of scraping someone off the highway because they were not wearing their seat belt. It's not very pleasant and shit I'll never forget. I would much rather put someone banged up into an ambulance than a body bag.

To the OP, see if you can do differed adjudication.  The "no tolerance" thing is BS. The department can't force an officer to write a ticket.
View Quote

Like my statement said... how did the skid mark on the road endanger someone else.   If someone decides to not have it on then why give a crap.  It's their choice.  The same as not using a helmet on a bike.  For me I always use a belt and a helmet but I don't care if someone decides to be more risky with their life.  

Sorry you had an emotional reaction to what you had to Do and see but it is part of your job jut like some of the shit I have to see is part of my job.  It's nasty but I decided to take the job knowing I would see nasty things.  If you or I don't like what we see and can't take it then it's time to get a new job.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 11:50:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Come on man... there are plenty of effects on society to warrant having seat belt laws. Economic loss, healthcare increases, taxes.... etc. etc.
View Quote

I am sure we can come up with a large list of things that would have a better outcome on the items you listed.  But the fat boys would be to upset if they couldn't get their Big Macs and say how dare you take my right to choose what I eat away.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 1:52:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Seat belts also keep you in place and can help you maintain control of the vehicle.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 2:00:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 2:06:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Like my statement said... how did the skid mark on the road endanger someone else.   If someone decides to not have it on then why give a crap.  It's their choice.  The same as not using a helmet on a bike.  For me I always use a belt and a helmet but I don't care if someone decides to be more risky with their life.  

Sorry you had an emotional reaction to what you had to Do and see but it is part of your job jut like some of the shit I have to see is part of my job.  It's nasty but I decided to take the job knowing I would see nasty things.  If you or I don't like what we see and can't take it then it's time to get a new job.
View Quote

You're right, it is part of the job but it still has an effect on first responders... Go pick up literally parts of a person that has been splattered across 150 yards of highway because he was ejected from a SUV and then run over by a tractor/trailer and your tune might change a little. Or inform a family member that their husband/father was partially ejected from his truck and bled out. I can go on and on...

Seat belts are there for safety, driving is a privilege, they do more than just keep you safe in a crash...
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 2:08:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Seat belts also keep you in place and can help you maintain control of the vehicle.
View Quote

Stats please on how many unbelted drivers have caused a wreck because they were no longer in the driver seat.

If you are in a situation that your no longer in the driver seat then I am sure the wreck has already happened.   Not going to say it's never heppend but I am sure the law is about a nanny state
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 2:42:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You're right, it is part of the job but it still has an effect on first responders... Go pick up literally parts of a person that has been splattered across 150 yards of highway because he was ejected from a SUV and then run over by a tractor/trailer and your tune might change a little. Or inform a family member that their husband/father was partially ejected from his truck and bled out. I can go on and on...

Seat belts are there for safety, driving is a privilege, they do more than just keep you safe in a crash...
View Quote

Now we get back to the whole privilege part.   Well we can go over several items that are rights and not a privilege that we have chicken shit laws on because of a nanny state.   Again if you have to much of a emotional issue doing your job then you need to get a new one.   First responders should have know what the job was. Yes it does suck for the surviving family but again it was the person who made the decision to not have the belt on .  It was also a selfish / dumb decision for them to make that their family now has to deal with but that is life and you can't outlaw stupid

Also like I said before if your worried about the family then maybe you should outlaw fast food.  More people will be saved.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 3:05:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is an irrelevant emotional argument. If the realities of your job are too much for you, get another job with a safe space.

Link Posted: 12/2/2016 3:13:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

This is an irrelevant emotional argument. If the realities of your job are too much for you, get another job with a safe space.

View Quote

I agree, its all propaganda bullshit from the INS. Co's.
I have well over 3 million crash free miles......and 1/2 dozen seatbelt tickets. Some were right, some were wrong ( HP cant see inside a big rig from 100' away, while moving the opposite direction).

As for OP and "points" and "going against Ins." ...NO, it is a non moving violation. Basically a civil fine.

Link Posted: 12/2/2016 3:26:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

No, I just give a shit about people. That's all. But thanks anyway. I'll send you a safety pin.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 3:34:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

No, I just give a shit about people. That's all. But thanks anyway. I'll send you a safety pin.
View Quote

Do you know the term leading a horse to water?

It's ok to be a human and give a shit about people. If you didn't I would be worried. Just don't confuse being a caring person with dictating.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 3:47:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I am sure we can come up with a large list of things that would have a better outcome on the items you listed.  But the fat boys would be to upset if they couldn't get their Big Macs and say how dare you take my right to choose what I eat away.
View Quote

Cost vs benefits...

The cost is literally just buckling up.

The benefits are those I already listed. Plus you know... Your life is potentially saved.

So exactly what things would you implement, that have an equivalent cost of ZERO, that positively influence those things listed?

Libertarianism doesn't work. If it did,  law and the cjs wouldn't be required. Assuming iq is normally distributed, half of Americans are under the mean.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 3:56:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Cost vs benefits...

The cost is literally just buckling up.

The benefits are those I already listed. Plus you know... Your life is potentially saved.

So exactly what things would you implement, that have an equivalent cost of ZERO, that positively influence those things listed?

Libertarianism doesn't work. If it did,  law and the cjs wouldn't be required. Assuming iq is normally distributed, half of Americans are under the mean.
View Quote

Again someone like you is confusing that saving a life is good thing and has to be done.  I am not saying that someone being killed is a good thing but it's called making a decision.  If you make a bad decision then you have to deal with those actions.  

As to a no cost option to save a life let's have all new homes have no bathtubs by code.   See I just  saved you money.  Clicking a belt is free (not really by the way) but a bathtub cost real money that will not be spent.  

Just let me know if you need a few more options to save life and money and I can help you out.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 4:10:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Do you know the term leading a horse to water?

It's ok to be a human and give a shit about people. If you didn't I would be worried. Just don't confuse being a caring person with dictating.
View Quote

Don't get me wrong, I totally get both sides of the argument. And there should be a line as to what's over regulating. The last thing I want is for Texas to be a commie state.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 4:30:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Don't get me wrong, I totally get both sides of the argument. And there should be a line as to what's over regulating. The last thing I want is for Texas to be a commie state.
View Quote

Hey in the end we are all friends... I just land on the libertarian side of things and like "the man" to stay out of as many things as possible .   Also I will give shit to my family members that dont use a helmet or belt
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 5:34:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Lengthy discussion here. I'm not looking at getting out of the ticket as I literally was not wearing it when the officer spotted me. Im looking at avoiding paying the whole amount plus get nailed on my insurance.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 5:41:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 6:02:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Paying $153 fine+insurance increase+record=defensive driving.
 I'd do defensive driving, either in class or online.  It's PITA, but it's better than the alternative.
View Quote

I dont think I have to do DD. There is a seperate seatbelt safety class you can take.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 7:16:43 PM EDT
[#24]
I believe seat belt laws for adults are stupid and one I rarely enforce. You're an adult and it's your life. Wear it or not. Now when it comes to children...different story. You don't buckle them kids up, you'll get a ticket.

Link Posted: 12/3/2016 9:15:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Seatbelt laws may be stupid but it saves me from having to pay for your care when you be come a quadraphonic. I could give a rats ass if you die. I just dont want to have to use my Tax dollars to pay for your support because you don;t feel like clicking the belt.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 9:29:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thats your choice to do that kind of job, its an adults choice to use it or not. Under 18 sure, make it mandatory, after that it should be our choice.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 5:12:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Lengthy discussion here. I'm not looking at getting out of the ticket as I literally was not wearing it when the officer spotted me. Im looking at avoiding paying the whole amount plus get nailed on my insurance.
View Quote

You can do DSC (aka defensive driving) for a seatbelt violation, but after mandatory court costs plus the cost of the class it is usually cheaper to just pay the fine.  An adult seatbelt violation is not a moving violation and does not add points to your license.  I usually advise people not to waste taking DSC on seatbelt violations.  You might need it to get a moving violation dismissed later and you can only get one violation a year dismissed with DSC.  

Insurance companies don't routinely pull driving records unless you make a claim or change companies.  My guess is that seatbelt violations aren't considered by insurance companies when setting rates since they aren't moving violations, but I do not know that for a fact.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 12:44:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Austin PD. Said he would have let me off with warning but its 0 tolerance to he had to give me the ticket,
View Quote

This is when i call the LEO a POS.    Give me the ticket or dont give me the ticket i understand either way, but dont waste my time with this BS "You dont want to give me a ticket, but your dept makes you crap."  
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 1:22:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

This is when i call the LEO a POS.    Give me the ticket or dont give me the ticket i understand either way, but dont waste my time with this BS "You dont want to give me a ticket, but your dept makes you crap."  
View Quote

It's  called trying to make yourself feel better for abiding by stupid policies
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 1:24:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wow, you hate freedom, huh?

There are no helmet laws here either, better get out there and get to work....
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 1:32:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Again someone like you is confusing that saving a life is good thing and has to be done.  I am not saying that someone being killed is a good thing but it's called making a decision.  If you make a bad decision then you have to deal with those actions.  

As to a no cost option to save a life let's have all new homes have no bathtubs by code.   See I just  saved you money.  Clicking a belt is free (not really by the way) but a bathtub cost real money that will not be spent.  

Just let me know if you need a few more options to save life and money and I can help you out.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

How about you just give me ONE option that is actually comparable to the topic? Bathtubs? Give me a break. Go ahead and look up the impact on deaths/injuries from bathtubs. At least put some type of thought into it.

'Someone like me is not confused' with the benefit of saving a life. As I already pointed out the issues I am concerned with: insurance, healthcare, taxes, etc. I am all for alternative means for natural selection to continue.

Paternalism: Because people think bathtub and seatbelt laws are comparable.

Quoted:

Wow, you hate freedom, huh?

There are no helmet laws here either, better get out there and get to work....

Oh ya. Totally against freedom.

Might want to check your facts on that helmet law claim...  Here, I will do the work for you.

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/TN/htm/TN.661.htm#661.001
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 2:12:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can I get one too?
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 6:35:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

How about you just give me ONE option that is actually comparable to the topic? Bathtubs? Give me a break. Go ahead and look up the impact on deaths/injuries from bathtubs. At least put some type of thought into it.

'Someone like me is not confused' with the benefit of saving a life. As I already pointed out the issues I am concerned with: insurance, healthcare, taxes, etc. I am all for alternative means for natural selection to continue.

Paternalism: Because people think bathtub and seatbelt laws are comparable.

Oh ya. Totally against freedom.

Might want to check your facts on that helmet law claim...  Here, I will do the work for you.

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/TN/htm/TN.661.htm#661.001
View Quote

"(c)  It is an exception to the application of Subsection (a) or (b) that at the time the offense was committed, the person required to wear protective headgear was at least 21 years old and had successfully completed a motorcycle operator training and safety course under Chapter 662 or was covered by a health insurance plan providing the person with medical benefits for injuries incurred as a result of an accident while operating or riding on a motorcycle.  A peace officer may not arrest a person or issue a citation to a person for a violation of Subsection (a) or (b) if the person required to wear protective headgear is at least 21 years of age and presents evidence sufficient to show that the person required to wear protective headgear has successfully completed a motorcycle operator training and safety course or is covered by a health insurance plan as described by this subsection."

Thanks, looks like you don't have to wear a helmet in Texas, if over 21, and have taken motorcycle safety course, or are insured...your point? I see lots of motorcycle guys without helmets, which I am guessing is way more dangerous and prone to injury than not wearing a seatbelt....

Point is, the OP's ticket is a bullshit ticket.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 6:58:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Snip

Point is, the OP's ticket is a bullshit ticket.
View Quote

My point? Just to educate you on your misconception that there is no helmet law in Texas. Accomplished.

Point is, it's subjective. In the OP's case, I will agree that it is unfortunate officer discretion was removed from the situation. Overall, I'd rather idiots buckle up than have to pay for their stupidity through the forms I've already beaten to death.

You want to talk about freedom? How about my freedom not to pay for your dumb ass when you decide not wear a seatbealt and end up disabled as the result of a car wreck. How about THAT freedom? Or are you just a commie in disguise who feels I should have to pay for your stupidity?

Freedom.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 7:08:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

My point? Just to educate you on your misconception that there is no helmet law in Texas. Accomplished.

Point is, it's subjective. In the OP's case, I will agree that it is unfortunate officer discretion was removed from the situation. Overall, I'd rather idiots buckle up than have to pay for their stupidity through the forms I've already beaten to death.

You want to talk about freedom? How about my freedom not to pay for your dumb ass when you decide not wear a seatbealt and end up disabled as the result of a car wreck. How about THAT freedom? Or are you just a commie in disguise who feels I should have to pay for your stupidity?

Freedom.
View Quote

Well, no.1, I buckle up all the time. I never drive without my seatbelt.

If you have a problem "paying" for other peoples stupidity, I suggest you take it up with the legislature. They are the ones that pass the laws that provide for stupid people.

I don't disagree with the concept that people shouldn't have to pay for other peoples stupidity, but I would rather take the tax hit paying for people disabled in accidents, then the many thousands times more sucking off the system for ALL basic needs because they are lazy FSA shitbags. They take up way more of your tax dollars than some dude who wasn't wearing a seatbelt.

How about me not having to pay or be inconvenienced because of an accident caused by the plethora of asshole drivers in the various Texas metroplex's....fucking Dallas drivers are some of the worst drivers I have ever seen, a large percentage of completely inconsiderate assholes who drive like they are the only ones on the road...I'd rather have LE nailing these assholes than some dude who didn't or forgot to buckle up.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 6:24:04 PM EDT
[#36]
At least with speeding tickets, you get one a year you can keep off your record by taking an online class.  You might have to go in twice... at least that's what I did for the last one in Travis Co.  Counter to either pay X or pay X+$25 for the privilege to pay another $25 to take the class and come back to show the judge that I was a good little boy after getting popped speeding up a few hundred yards early before the tollway.

Link Posted: 12/7/2016 1:25:10 PM EDT
[#37]
You may be able to ask the court for deferred if your driving record is pretty clean. Usually this means ~half the fine amount around here and a period of probation. I recommend making an appearance sooner than later to see your options.

Fun to see the animosity toward seat belt laws. Write your legislator.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top