Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/26/2016 2:52:26 AM EDT
Going to be in Austin next week for a few days. Can someone recommend good BBQ that is not a 3 hour wait?

Will be staying close to the convention center downtown.
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 5:33:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Terry Black's is pretty good. Franklin's is lunch only, Terry Black's is open for dinner too.
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 8:42:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Normally I go to County Line when I've got guests from out-of-state.

ETA: It's not near downtown.
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 9:21:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Terry Black's. The jalapeño-jack sausage is awesome.
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 10:56:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Normally I go to County Line when I've got guests from out-of-state.

ETA: It's not near downtown.
View Quote

Last two times I went to County Line (the one on the lake) the food pretty much sucked and the service was terrible.
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 11:07:54 AM EDT
[#5]
The only place I know of is Cooper's BBQ on Congress (Congress & 3rd).  However I don't think it's that great and don't get why it has such a following.  It's also really expensive.
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 12:35:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Ironworks, right next to the convention center.

The beef ribs are great.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 12:37:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The only place I know of is Cooper's BBQ on Congress (Congress & 3rd).  However I don't think it's that great and don't get why it has such a following.  It's also really expensive.
View Quote

I bet the Austin Cooper's is more Austin Hype than the one in Llano.
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 1:03:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Black's is pretty good their jalapeno sausage is amazing, La Barbecue is fantastic but they are not open all the time and gotta expect to wait an hour or so, stiles and switch is pretty good also.
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 3:17:46 PM EDT
[#9]
try La Barbecue at 1906 E Cesar Chavez St.  Had some brisket and Ribs this past Wednesday.  The lean cut of the brisket and the Ribs were excellent.   They are closed on Monday and Tuesdays.
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 3:57:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Rent a car and drive to Lockhart, get your grub on at Black's, Smitty's, and Kreuz's. Travel a little further down 183 to Luling and check out Luling City Market.

If you have Saturday morning available, drive to Lexington and chow at Snow's, I would arrive when they open and no later than 10AM.

IMHO all of these offer better 'cue than what is offered in Austin especially in the sausage department.

Link Posted: 11/26/2016 4:47:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Rent a car and drive to Lockhart, get your grub on at Black's, Smitty's, and Kreuz's. Travel a little further down 183 to Luling and check out Luling City Market.

If you have Saturday morning available, drive to Lexington and chow at Snow's, I would arrive when they open and no later than 10AM.

IMHO all of these offer better 'cue than what is offered in Austin especially in the sausage department.

View Quote

You hit it right on the head though I will add I agree with those above la barbecue is really good as well.  You can get the genuine Blacks family BBQ that is offered in Lockhart and San Marcos on the drag (Guadalupe Street) on the weekends though I don't know exactly where.  They don't smoke it there but they bring it in from either Lockhart or San Marcos (I don't remember which location).
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 7:45:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Along with all those mentioned, a drive to Taylor, Louis Muellar, Taylor Cafe (owned by a WWII vet, there every day, same location since 1948, Davis BBQ.  All three listed in the Texas Monthly Top 50 a couple years ago.
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 9:08:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

I totally forgot that Lockhart was that close to Austin.

I've taken the family there a few times when visiting my parents in SA. I'm driving from DFW so I will have a car.
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 9:47:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I've taken the family there a few times when visiting my parents in SA. I'm driving from DFW so I will have a car.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you go to Lockhart go early for lunch, the really good Barbaque places run out of the good stuff early.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 3:27:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

If you go to Lockhart go early for lunch, the really good Barbaque places run out of the good stuff early.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I won't be able to make it for lunch, only dinner. Am I going to be out of luck?
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 4:38:56 AM EDT
[#16]
The Coopers vary. The one in  New Braunfela is the best of the three locations I've been to.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 4:42:51 AM EDT
[#17]
If you have a car, any of the big 3 in Lockhart is good but I'm personally partial to Black's.

The Salt Lick in Dripping springs is about the same distance and just as good.

If you want in downtown Austin the Aforementioned Ironworks or Stubbs.  

Link Posted: 11/27/2016 6:56:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I won't be able to make it for lunch, only dinner. Am I going to be out of luck?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kreuz's is pretty cleaned out after 2 PM, not sure on Smitty's.

Terry Black's being in Austin caters to a dinner crowd. So they have two times they have meat coming from the smokers ready.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 12:55:41 PM EDT
[#19]
House Park BBQ, in the strip center at 12th St and North Lamar.  Franklin's  without the line, it's been around longer than Franklin's.  

Second would be the Ironworks BBQ,  Red River St and Cesar Chavez Blvd, next door to the convention center.

Also, if you don't want BBQ,  Texas Chili Parlor, 14th and Lavaca.  
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 10:25:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
If you want in downtown Austin the Aforementioned Ironworks or Stubbs.  
View Quote

I may have to go with downtown Austin. We where planning on barbecue on Monday night, but I got word from my co-workers that some wont even be in town and ready to leave until 7:30 because most of them are coming in from Seattle or Silicon Valley.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 1:44:01 AM EDT
[#21]
How is Lambert's? The place has 4 stars on Yelp.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 8:55:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Stiles Switch on North Lamar. Best in Austin.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 11:56:43 AM EDT
[#23]
I'm partial to Southside Market in Elgin - their brisket is the best I've tasted so far, and their bacon wrapped sausage slammers rock. Granted they're about 20 minutes east of Austin but worth the drive.

And while your there, don't forget to grab some of their homemade hot BBQ sauce.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 10:37:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Stiles Switch is awesome, but further from downtown.  Mickelthwaite is one of my favorites in town.  Just east of 35 on 11th...past Franklins.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 11:04:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dinner?  Stiles Switch.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 12:27:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I'm partial to Southside Market in Elgin - their brisket is the best I've tasted so far, and their bacon wrapped sausage slammers rock. Granted they're about 20 minutes east of Austin but worth the drive.

And while your there, don't forget to grab some of their homemade hot BBQ sauce.
View Quote

For the "hot gut", there is really nothing out there that tastes the same.  Of course, I liked the old location downtown near the railroad tracks much more.

And, I'm one of those that judges the restaurant by more than just the meat (unless I'm going just to eat the meat or take it home).  So, my favorite experience for sit down BBQ is the County Line on the Lake.  I agree with the guy above that says he takes visitors to the CL . . . it is a great place for this purpose.  If you are a brisket, rib, or sausage "aficionado", then of course their are better places . . . but personal tastes as to what is great will come into play.  By no means is the brisket, pork ribs, and sausage at the CL crap.  My family enjoys gathering at the CL often.

There are so many good BBQ places in central Texas that I hesitate to say that one is better than the other.  Most have something unique to offer and variety in life is one of our greatest joys.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 1:39:51 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Along with all those mentioned, a drive to Taylor, Louis Muellar, Taylor Cafe (owned by a WWII vet, there every day, same location since 1948, Davis BBQ.  All three listed in the Texas Monthly Top 50 a couple years ago.
View Quote

+1 on Louie Mueller's    Brisket and their beef ribs.

Wife and I ate at the Taylor Cafe last week.  Found out they are closing the doors for good in a few months.  

The place is falling in disrepair and the cost to update and remodel are just too much.  Vencil Mares is still holding court every day.  94 years old and still loves to share stories of the good ole days.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top