Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/25/2016 1:48:33 PM EDT
I bought a used boat from a dealer about a month ago, just an aluminum boat with a 75hp Merc.
The dealer arranged the tax payment, and did the paper work for the boat registration sticker and the
lic plate for the trailer.  When I picked up that paper work I asked for the title to the boat and the motor and was told "the State"
would mail those to me.  I did some research and couldn't find anything concrete, but one site said to get the title from the seller when buying the
boat.  Am I in for a hassle, or were they correct and in awhile I'll get a boat and motor tile in the mail from the state?  thanks.
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 3:43:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know for sure so take this for what it's worth but I think the dealer is correct.  Assuming it's the same general process as buying a used car that is.  If you had bought it from a private party they would've signed the title and given it to you but you would've had to take it to your local tax office yourself.  The tax office takes it so the state would issue a title in your name.  That's how it was when I bought my daughter's used vehicle this past summer.  I got the title in the mail from the state a couple or weeks after taking it to the tax office.

In your case the dealer is just the middle man.  They handle all of the tax payments & paperwork for you.  Net result is you should receive the title in the mail from the state in the next couple of weeks.
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 3:54:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't know for sure so take this for what it's worth but I think the dealer is correct.  Assuming it's the same general process as buying a used car that is.  If you had bought it from a private party they would've signed the title and given it to you but you would've had to take it to your local tax office yourself.  The tax office takes it so the state would issue a title in your name.  That's how it was when I bought my daughter's used vehicle this past summer.  I got the title in the mail from the state a couple or weeks after taking it to the tax office.

In your case the dealer is just the middle man.  They handle all of the tax payments & paperwork for you.  Net result is you should receive the title in the mail from the state in the next couple of weeks.
View Quote

Thanks.  That makes sense.
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 5:53:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought a jet ski one time without a title from an individual. I could not get a title or register the thing with the bill of sale. I wound up buying a junk hull with a title to get my stickers. No go without them. That was in the early eighties.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 8:43:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is how it worked when we bought our boat (from a dealer).
and when I sold my old boat to an individual I signed the titles over and gave them to him.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 11:33:54 AM EDT
[#5]
And if it's not titled in something like 30 days, there's a penalty.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 12:46:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
And if it's not titled in something like 30 days, there's a penalty.
View Quote

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 10:23:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just to confirm what Dynamo wrote, his explanation is exactly how it worked when I bought a used boat in 2007.  Your title will show up in the mail including a separate title for the trailer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top