Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/17/2016 12:51:10 PM EDT
Looks like the legislature is taking a stab at it. I hope we get it.

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/BillLookup/History.aspx?LegSess=85R&Bill=HB375
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 6:38:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes!
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 6:49:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Kewl beans!!!
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 7:19:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Will cross a finger or 2
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 8:20:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 9:13:17 PM EDT
[#5]
This is HB 375 is it not?
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 9:34:44 PM EDT
[#6]
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 11/18/2016 7:46:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Wouldn't that just screw over everyone relative to the Gun Free School Zones Act (as updated in 1997)?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun-Free_School_Zones_Act_of_1990

I think you'd be hard pressed to drive across most cities without coming within 1000 feet of a school.
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 9:17:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Just keep OCT and OCTC out or it and maybe it will pass this time.

As an aside, the Dems are planning a bunch of silly shit.

I followed OC last session. It wasn't pretty.
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 10:04:25 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Looks like the legislature is taking a stab at it. I hope we get it.

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/BillLookup/History.aspx?LegSess=85R&Bill=HB375
View Quote

Unlikely.  They are more worried about cellular phone use instead of real problems.
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 11:16:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

After all that drama I still  have not come across anyone OC'ing. Even where I live in the Hill Country.
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 11:24:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

After all that drama I still  have not come across anyone OC'ing. Even where I live in the Hill Country.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Totally agree, if the clowns mentioned above get involved we may very well lose rights.  Remember the legislators panic buttons?

I have seen a couple OCing, but not in the small town I live in.  I am also rural, and we do have rattlesnakes, have killed 4, dog bit once, so, sometimes when walking the dog I OC a .38 snubbie with snake show.
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 12:54:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

The sponsor of the bill filed it in behalf of OCT. They are not going anywhere until this gets passed.
The OCTC clowns were the ones that were harassing congressmen and were the reason the panic buttons were installed, not OCT.
Hopefully, OCT learned some lesson last time around.
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 2:17:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 2:20:35 PM EDT
[#14]

I have never been to Targetmaster, I I PROMISE I never will....fuck that guy!
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 2:31:46 PM EDT
[#15]

Welcome to the anti-gun advocate horseshit in our beloved state of Texas!
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 2:56:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I like the guy firing the AR with no rear sight. Got to love the Dem wanting cities to be able to opt out of state laws.
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 3:01:13 PM EDT
[#17]

Let me guess. He makes money from CHL classes. How shortsighted. Once again, the greatest impediment to gun rights is other gun owners. How fucking sad.

He would make more from CC. We have 1M folks who can carry. Let us make that 15M overnight. Imagine all the additional guns, ammo, holsters, training he would sell. I guess he cannot imagine that.
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 5:14:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Let me guess. He makes money from CHL classes. How shortsighted. Once again, the greatest impediment to gun rights is other gun owners. How fucking sad.

He would make more from CC. We have 1M folks who can carry. Let us make that 15M overnight. Imagine all the additional guns, ammo, holsters, training he would sell. I guess he cannot imagine that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Micheal Cargill of Central Texas Gunworks teaches CHL too. He supports Constitutional Carry, his attitude is even if you don't need a permit, it is a good idea to be educated of the laws.
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 5:22:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Yes  
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 6:59:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Finally saw one guy OCing a few weeks ago. It was in the S Austin Costco, of all places, where even CC is not allowed.
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 7:17:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Finally saw one guy OCing a few weeks ago. It was in the S Austin Costco, of all places, where even CC is not allowed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Costco allows both open and concealed carry. I open carry quite often at the Costco in Ceder Psrk. The liquor store off to the side does not allow open carry.

Constitutional Carry will require TABC to change their rules.
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 11:32:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 8:09:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Question.
Would people that are currently not able to qualify for an LTC still not be able to legally carry if constitutional carry were to pass?
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 9:09:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Question.
Would people that are currently not able to qualify for an LTC still not be able to legally carry if constitutional carry were to pass?
View Quote

Some people, yes.  The qualifications for a Texas LTC are stricter than federal and state laws regarding possession of a firearm.

There are people that qualify under Penal Code 46.02 to carry a handgun on their own premises or premises under their control, and inside of or enroute to or inside of a motor vehicle or watercraft that they own or that is under their control that do not qualify for an LTC.

For example, here are some LTC restrictions that don't apply to other possession of a handgun;

being 21 years of age
being convicted of a class A or B misdemeanor or Disorderly Conduct within last 5 years
charged with class A or B misdemeanor
finally determined to be delinquent in making a child support payment administered or collected by the attorney general
has not been finally determined to be delinquent in the payment of a tax or other money collected by the comptroller, the tax collector of a political subdivision of the state, or any agency or subdivision of the state
has not, in the 10 years preceding the date of application, been adjudicated as having engaged in delinquent conduct violating a penal law of the grade of felony;

Link Posted: 11/21/2016 4:08:41 PM EDT
[#25]
"The qualifications for a Texas LTC are stricter than federal and state laws regarding possession of a firearm."

I am still trying to figure out why the state of Texas decided to trammel the law-abiding citizens of their state with onerous burdens of proof, restrictions and other impedimenta with regard to the carry of a handgun.

As far as I am aware, no criminal is required to go through all of this business in order to carry whatever they please. it seems counterintuitive to require the average citizen to prove his/her worthiness to be allowed the privilege of carrying something that literally every thug moron can have at will.

Link Posted: 11/21/2016 4:28:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

It's always over money.

I just learned of those fucking scumbags trying to protect their MGs by lobbying the ATF.
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 7:40:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Some people, yes.  The qualifications for a Texas LTC are stricter than federal and state laws regarding possession of a firearm.

There are people that qualify under Penal Code 46.02 to carry a handgun on their own premises or premises under their control, and inside of or enroute to or inside of a motor vehicle or watercraft that they own or that is under their control that do not qualify for an LTC.

For example, here are some LTC restrictions that don't apply to other possession of a handgun;

being 21 years of age
being convicted of a class A or B misdemeanor or Disorderly Conduct within last 5 years
finally determined to be delinquent in making a child support payment administered or collected by the attorney general
has not been finally determined to be delinquent in the payment of a tax or other money collected by the comptroller, the tax collector of a political subdivision of the state, or any agency or subdivision of the state
has not, in the 10 years preceding the date of application, been adjudicated as having engaged in delinquent conduct violating a penal law of the grade of felony;

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Question.

being 21 years of age

A good friend got boned on a Deferred Adjudication long ago - he can and does buy guns and passes his FBI Background check, but because a Deferred is considered a felony conviction FOR HANDGUN LICENSE purposes, he as I understand it, he can't get a Texas LTC.   He did the FL (been 18 years since the incident - never in trouble before and never in trouble since) so he passed FL requirements easy.   But Texas is just retarded with anything to do with the deferred adjudications and CHL.   so how would Constitutional Carry affect a TX resident with a FL license?

Link Posted: 11/22/2016 12:08:34 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

A good friend got boned on a Deferred Adjudication long ago - he can and does buy guns and passes his FBI Background check, but because a Deferred is considered a felony conviction FOR HANDGUN LICENSE purposes, he as I understand it, he can't get a Texas LTC.   He did the FL (been 18 years since the incident - never in trouble before and never in trouble since) so he passed FL requirements easy.   But Texas is just retarded with anything to do with the deferred adjudications and CHL.   so how would Constitutional Carry affect a TX resident with a FL license?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Question.

being 21 years of age

Sidebar; what was the deferred for?  Most allow licensing after 10 years.

Link Posted: 11/22/2016 7:59:21 AM EDT
[#29]
IM'ed you the details

EDITED - Tried to - Your box is full

Link Posted: 11/22/2016 10:08:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
IM'ed you the details

EDITED - Tried to - Your box is full

View Quote

I'll fix that.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 4:01:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I like the guy firing the AR with no rear sight. Got to love the Dem wanting cities to be able to opt out of state laws.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol I saw that to!  Dude doesn't need a rear sight, he's that good!  Sad state of affairs when a gun shop owner is agreeing with laws that infringe on our rights to carry a firearm.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 2:41:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

lol I saw that to!  Dude doesn't need a rear sight, he's that good!  Sad state of affairs when a gun shop owner is agreeing with laws that infringe on our rights to carry a firearm.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A guy I work with argued with me a while back. He apparently either watched a video or met an instructor who said no sights were needed, and they teach that in the military.
When I called him on it and said the guy was full of shit he really bowed up. I think he is friends with that instructor.
I told him to giv his buddy a message from me- I will shoot against him for a dollar a point. I haven't heard back yet.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 10:01:03 PM EDT
[#33]
For better or worse Rep. Jonathan Stickland isn't well liked in the legislator by his "peers". He has no love from TSRA as well.  Doubt CC will pass under any bill he calls his pet.

I don't like that and could be wrong but he was a burr in the saddle of fellow legislators last session.  

He has no political juice to get it moved though House or Senate as far as I can see.

I'd look at other bills that have the "unintended consequence" of allowing CC in their first or second drafts.

Link Posted: 11/24/2016 5:07:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
"The qualifications for a Texas LTC are stricter than federal and state laws regarding possession of a firearm."

I am still trying to figure out why the state of Texas decided to trammel the law-abiding citizens of their state with onerous burdens of proof, restrictions and other impedimenta with regard to the carry of a handgun.

As far as I am aware, no criminal is required to go through all of this business in order to carry whatever they please. it seems counterintuitive to require the average citizen to prove his/her worthiness to be allowed the privilege of carrying something that literally every thug moron can have at will.

View Quote

Texas isn't really some super gun-friendly freedom-burgh.  On an overall scale, it's "OK".
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 5:09:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Wouldn't that just screw over everyone relative to the Gun Free School Zones Act (as updated in 1997)?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun-Free_School_Zones_Act_of_1990

I think you'd be hard pressed to drive across most cities without coming within 1000 feet of a school.
View Quote

It's been figured out in many states before this one.  I'm sure it will be just fine.
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 6:21:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Texas isn't really some super gun-friendly freedom-burgh.  On an overall scale, it's "OK".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The funny part is this:

I have to ask permission....why? I am not in jail, therefore I MUST be law abiding, right? LMAO, WRONG.
The NICS is for checking who is a KNOWN VIOLENT criminal.  WHAT!?!?!
Why are there known violent criminals walking free?

So, to summarize a rather lengthy ramble.  

Person gets sent to jail for a violent act.
Justice systems says "yeah, he is NOT safe to own a gun, but let him out anyways"
Now, you, myself, and every other person who is law abiding has to have OUR rights violated, because the justice system sucks ass.

They create the problem and we have to pay for it....

I cant grasp that concept one fucking bit.

If a person is still considered "dangerous", why the fuck are they walking around with us fine folks.

Link Posted: 11/25/2016 12:45:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I disagree.  Only the states that already have constitutional carry are better on guns.

Once we have this, what more is there?  We'll basically be abiding by federal laws only.
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 5:56:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Agreed.  I teach CHL classes and am totally fine if they make it constitutional carry.  One, because I think it is our right and two because then I could actually concentrate on teaching a class that WORKS for students.  Right now I have a ton of people wanting to learn how to use guns and get into it for the first time, and instead I have to:

1) Run them through a qualification course with little to no experience.
2) Use about 70% of my course time to teach them about things which could be covered by a pamphlet.
3) Waste a bunch of time on tests, paperwork, and record keeping.

Sure, now people wouldn't HAVE to take my course,  but that's okay.
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 10:06:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I disagree.  Only the states that already have constitutional carry are better on guns.

Once we have this, what more is there?  We'll basically be abiding by federal laws only.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fees for licensing are high - Could be better (Off the top of my head - LA is $125 but has an option for lifetime at $500, Utah is $40, AZ is $60, MS is $100 as examples)
Giving TXDPS access to medical and mental health records - Gross
51% signs which make carrying an instant felony - Lame
Open carry without permit - 20-ish states don't require a permit to OC

Texas is "ok".  Con Carry will make it better, but there's always room for improvement.
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 10:25:01 PM EDT
[#40]
I think it is a great thing, but I don't see it passing.  I just don't see Texas giving up the revenue stream.  The last I heard, there were close to a million (937000) people with a handgun license in the state.  First time it's $140.00, and renewals are $70.00 every 5 years, for what?  A piece of plastic.
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 1:44:02 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I think it is a great thing, but I don't see it passing.  I just don't see Texas giving up the revenue stream.  The last I heard, there were close to a million (937000) people with a handgun license in the state.  First time it's $140.00, and renewals are $70.00 every 5 years, for what?  A piece of plastic.
View Quote

It costs more to run the program than it collects.
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 2:57:07 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Plus an extensive background check and fingerprint services from a contractor. Not saying I agree with the concept of govt permission to exercise your rights, I'm just sure that it costs DPS more to issue a license than they collect in fees.
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 3:16:32 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Because Democrats.
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 5:42:14 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Fees for licensing are high - Could be better (Off the top of my head - LA is $125 but has an option for lifetime at $500, Utah is $40, AZ is $60, MS is $100 as examples)

Texas is "ok".  Con Carry will make it better, but there's always room for improvement.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The problem with 'lifetime' permits is those permits won't bypass the NICS check. To bypass NICS you have to renew every 5 years for a new background check.

As fucked up as so many bars and restaurants are around here at posting their 51% sign, the penalty needs to be dropped to a  class 'A' misdemeanor unless intoxicated.
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 8:30:05 AM EDT
[#45]
Bars and restaurants don't determine if they are 51%, the TABC does.  IMO, it is already unlawful to carry when intoxicated, so 51% should go away.  

Link Posted: 11/26/2016 8:50:17 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Bars and restaurants don't determine if they are 51%, the TABC does.  IMO, it is already unlawful to carry when intoxicated, so 51% should go away.  

View Quote

51% should go away, but as long as it is the law the TABC needs to make sure the signs are posted so you can see them before going in, and not after you are seated and the sign is posted behind the bar with all the other crap on the walls.
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 11:52:38 AM EDT
[#47]
Just make sure when you show up for the open carry demonstrations you are wearing a ski mask and a Stars and Stripes thong while carrying your gold trimmed AK variant.

Have to make sure the local news has a good representative from the gun community to interview for the nightly news.
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 11:13:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

For the first time ever I actually agree with you.  I know in some other states, some of which are more on the blue side, you can conceal or open carry in a bar as long as your lips don't touch alcohol.
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 11:36:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Plus an extensive background check and fingerprint services from a contractor. Not saying I agree with the concept of govt permission to exercise your rights, I'm just sure that it costs DPS more to issue a license than they collect in fees.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The only thing I can readily find is some 2016/2017 projected budget numbers.  Looks like 8-10 million to run the program?
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 11:39:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

The problem with 'lifetime' permits is those permits won't bypass the NICS check. To bypass NICS you have to renew every 5 years for a new background check.

As fucked up as so many bars and restaurants are around here at posting their 51% sign, the penalty needs to be dropped to a  class 'A' misdemeanor unless intoxicated.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why any crime if you're just in a bar with a concealed weapon?  Sure, if you decide to drink, make it a crime.  Walking into Frank's Taco Hut and Bar with a gun and no intention of drinking should never be a crime (unless the owner is putting up .06 and .07 signs, even as silly as that is).

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top