Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/3/2016 10:11:57 PM EDT
Was wondering if anyone would be up for a four to five day camping trip out to my fathers place in Smithville on the weekend of 20th though 25th of October. Last one went pretty well, couple of Arfcommers showed were there had a great time shooting shit and drinking some beers.

Here is the link from the last thread.

https://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=8&f=8&t=596419

Link Posted: 10/4/2016 6:50:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Not so much interested in camping, but I am only about 30 minutes from Smithville. I would definitely come down and hang out for a day.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 7:05:18 AM EDT
[#2]
camping? that's like a Best Western with no room service? Right?

I remember the thread, looks like a fun time..I don't sleep in tents and I'm old and cranky.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 2:45:02 PM EDT
[#3]
The last time a group of people that I thought I knew well (8 + years) had guns and beer at a non-public place, things did not go well.
I do not mix the two activities, or groups of people for that matter any more.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 2:52:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The last time a group of people that I thought I knew well (8 + years) had guns and beer at a non-public place, things did not go well.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I understand your concerns. I do not tolerate asshattery going on. When the beer comes out the guns get put up. No exceptions. If anyone cannot handle being around the two together, I don't want them coming out.

Tannerite is always a welcome guest, I have several stumps that are needing removal and some cedar trees cut down for firewood during the trip.

Quoted:
Not so much interested in camping, but I am only about 30 minutes from Smithville. I would definitely come down and hang out for a day.

If you want to come out for a day or two and hang out, you are more than welcome. I have plenty of camping gear so if you decide to stay, I can hook you up with a tent and air mattress.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 10:21:34 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm not too far away either (Cedar Creek) and might be interested in stopping by depending on my schedule.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 10:54:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Guns during the day, and a few beers afterwards (just like mountain biking).

You don't have to mix the two, and I definitely wouldn't want to be around anyone that would.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 11:38:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for putting the offer out there. If I wasn't stuck on a work trip I would go.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 11:46:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm not too far away either (Cedar Creek) and might be interested in stopping by depending on my schedule.
View Quote

More than welcome to come on out. My father loves having the company and he had a blast the last time we all went out there. He is getting up in years and I try to get out there more often.

He doesn't shoot much but he sure can drink the hell out of beer though.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 6:47:42 AM EDT
[#9]
lol  some folks would run scared from the hun farm.

Txl
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 8:00:47 AM EDT
[#10]
This is a very nice offer.

I'm going to see if I can find a way to get out there for a day or night (or two)...

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 8:49:38 AM EDT
[#11]
I need to put some things together then I might make it.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 9:16:08 AM EDT
[#12]
I might be able to make it on the Saturday/Sunday days, if only for a day trip.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 10:39:38 AM EDT
[#13]
I sent out some IM's to everyone that expressed interest in coming. I have plenty of camping gear and I can hook some people up with a tent or hammock if they decide to do an overnight. My dad has a spare room if anyone is scared of the woods at night. My late uncle's lake has fish so I'll get in touch with my aunt and see if it is ok to fish a little at her place. It is the next property to the south.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 11:34:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Will wagering on games of skill be allowed?
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 11:42:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Will wagering on games of skill be allowed?
View Quote

Hmmm tell me more, you have my attention.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 2:40:55 PM EDT
[#16]
If enough people come, have a blind draw for shooting partners and do some high score .22 @ 50 yard team target shooting. The blind draw for a partner will handicap ringers and give a better chance for average shooters to place by pairing them together. Of course it could end up that two sharpshooters end up on a team, but it would still be fun.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 5:14:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If enough people come, have a blind draw for shooting partners and do some high score .22 @ 50 yard team target shooting. The blind draw for a partner will handicap ringers and give a better chance for average shooters to place by pairing them together. Of course it could end up that two sharpshooters end up on a team, but it would still be fun.
View Quote

Sounds like fun. We can shoot up to 50m there.

I don't know why I was thinking of playing poker. LOL
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 8:04:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 8:27:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's funny because I shoot better when I'm drunk, especially around other people who are drunk too.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 8:39:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

That's funny because I shoot better when I'm drunk, especially around other people who are drunk too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shooting and drinking is generally ok when it is just me and my family. When you bring in people that you aren't sure how well they handle alcohol things tend to not go so well.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 9:21:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Asshattery? You mean like a fireside pop?
View Quote

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 10:31:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Did not go well" is a huge understatement. Apparently, some people change when they get a gun in their hand, kind of like turning into a bad-ass when behind the steering wheel and going into a road rage. I am edgy to this day when I see a group of buddies shooting together at a range.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 10:03:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

"Did not go well" is a huge understatement. Apparently, some people change when they get a gun in their hand, kind of like turning into a bad-ass when behind the steering wheel and going into a road rage. I am edgy to this day when I see a group of buddies shooting together at a range.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I try not to associate with people that get stupid when they drink. Makes life simpler.

Link Posted: 10/8/2016 1:39:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I try not to associate with people that get stupid when they drink. Makes life simpler.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep. That it does.
For some reason I thought your spot was in the north DFW area. I see it is actually close to Houston. Keep it fun.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 8:48:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Yep. That it does.
For some reason I thought your spot was in the north DFW area. I see it is actually close to Houston. Keep it fun.
View Quote

It is actually about 30 miles east of Austin. Smithville area.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 9:42:10 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm out.

Wife's sister is flying in from South Carolina to stay the weekend, so I'll be watching kids.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 8:30:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I'm out.

Wife's sister is flying in from South Carolina to stay the weekend, so I'll be watching kids.
View Quote

It's all good. I usually do a trip in October and April, depending on weather. I am going to try to make another trip next month if the weather cooperates.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 8:08:31 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I sent out some IM's to everyone that expressed interest in coming. I have plenty of camping gear and I can hook some people up with a tent or hammock if they decide to do an overnight. My dad has a spare room if anyone is scared of the woods at night. My late uncle's lake has fish so I'll get in touch with my aunt and see if it is ok to fish a little at her place. It is the next property to the south.
View Quote

As long as someone is there that runs slower than me, I think I could handle it.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 2:13:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

As long as someone is there that runs slower than me, I think I could handle it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can't run for shit, I think you'll be ok.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 10:16:57 AM EDT
[#30]
Still not sure I can get there. If I do it will be on Saturday.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 1:36:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Still not sure I can get there. If I do it will be on Saturday.
View Quote

Saturday is cool too. I think I sent you an IM with my cell number.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 2:25:37 PM EDT
[#32]
The trip is still a go. I plan on arriving at my father's place around noon. Going to set up the site and make a target stand and set up the out door shower/toilet. Once that is done I'll get a couple of rifles zeroed then be a bum for the weekend. Let the shenanigans commence!
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 7:53:39 AM EDT
[#33]
Thanks for the invite. Good to meet y'all. Wish I could have stayed longer.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 1:57:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Definitely a great time was had by all. Thanks for coming out! Look for another posting around February or March for an April camping trip. All are invited and my father said he had a blast and is looking forward to next year.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 7:32:33 PM EDT
[#35]
It was great meeting you and everyone else there.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 11:42:21 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm in San Marcos. I'm down for next time! Sounds like a good time.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 10:57:54 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I'm in San Marcos. I'm down for next time! Sounds like a good time.
View Quote

Just doin' redneck stuff. Clearing some brush, sittin' 'round the campfire shooting guns, and tannerite, drinking beer afterwards.

Link Posted: 10/26/2016 4:24:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Good on ya' for hanging out with your pops, my dads birthday was the 19th so we ended up going fishing last Sat.

33 crappie, and 5 sun perch between us!

Maybe I'll be able to attend the get together in the spring.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top