Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/23/2016 6:05:30 PM EDT

Serious question for those of you who have always planned on getting it but have not.

Is it because you do shift work and the idea of making a morning class just has not happened for you? Or is it because you don't have the time ever to leave and go out for what is going to work out to the better part of a day to take the class?

Maybe you just don't like the thought of being on a firing line with people you don't know.

Come on in and let me know why.

Link Posted: 9/23/2016 7:48:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Had CHL long time ago then got out of shooting. Just now got weekends off so am going to start practicing and then get it again.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 8:46:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Before I got mine, the idea of sitting through another "all day mind numbing training" of any kind was not something I was looking forward to. I did it though. I lived through it. I did not get angry when my target was hit by shooters to either side of me during the shooting portion. I took 2 days off work and went to the local DFW police records archives at specific times to collect the documents from the mid 80's that I needed (hardest part).
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 11:12:20 AM EDT
[#3]
How many of you would quit procrastinating and do the class if an instructor would come to your home and do the class there. At a time that was convenient to you?( If you get off work at 0300, have the class from 0330-0730 with the shooting done at regular range hours, or if you have property you can shoot on safely, done at the conclusion of the class?)
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 11:38:50 AM EDT
[#4]
I knew a guy that used to do one on one CHL classes, mostly for renewals when we had the renewal class. He would bring his lap top and stand with his student going though the class.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 5:20:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Here is an ideal, just maybe not everyone want a CHL.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 5:29:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I had my CHL in hand before it was legal to carry.

The class took 2 days and I had to borrow a old Bersa 380 to qualify.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 6:32:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Here is an ideal, just maybe not everyone want a CHL.
View Quote

Here's an idea. Nah, nevermind. It would be lost on you.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 10:13:57 PM EDT
[#8]
I put it off for a while because I didn't want some gun counter soldier of fortune telling me a bunch of fairy tales all day. Eventually, I got offered a free class by a friend of ours who was a local cop and former marine. A reputation for being knowledgeable and trustworthy goes a long way.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 4:04:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Just can't seem to muster much enthusiasm for (1.) seeking the state's permission to exercise a basic human right, or (2.) tacitly acknowledging the idea that bearing arms is a "privilege".
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 7:00:32 AM EDT
[#10]
I got my CHL when TX first opened.  It was a bit of a pain, since you had class room for most of day one, and then the shoot the following day.  So it basically took the majority of the weekend.  The instructor was good but the range was outdoors in a pasture if I remember right. (not so good if it had rained prior)

I think anything that makes CHL in Texas less of a hassle is a good thing.

Would love to see TX go to "Constitutional Carry" like several other states have, but I don't really see that happening anytime in the future

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 7:06:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
How many of you would quit procrastinating and do the class if an instructor would come to your home and do the class there. At a time that was convenient to you?( If you get off work at 0300, have the class from 0330-0730 with the shooting done at regular range hours, or if you have property you can shoot on safely, done at the conclusion of the class?)
View Quote

If I am reading your time correctly, not many average Joes get off work at 0300 AM (unless they are in the Bar Business )    Having an instructor come to you at  your loaction at a time that flexes around the work schedule sounds like a good idea, but the concern may be the cost of such one on one teaching to make it worthwhile to the instructor for a class of one or two students Vs. 12-20.

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 8:17:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Just can't seem to muster much enthusiasm for (1.) seeking the state's permission to exercise a basic human right, or (2.) tacitly acknowledging the idea that bearing arms is a "privilege".
View Quote

Same here.
C'mon Constitutional carry.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 9:02:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

If I am reading your time correctly, not many average Joes get off work at 0300 AM (unless they are in the Bar Business )    Having an instructor come to you at  your loaction at a time that flexes around the work schedule sounds like a good idea, but the concern may be the cost of such one on one teaching to make it worthwhile to the instructor for a class of one or two students Vs. 12-20.

BIGGER_HAMMER
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

BIGGER_HAMMER

This would also apply to shift workers that have a hard time mustering up the time to spend what will amount to a day out and about that is off of their regular schedule. Also people who work weekends.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 10:36:33 AM EDT
[#14]
I understand your comment more completely and think it would be great for those of use on set schedules with little free or flex time to have the ability to determine when and where to take their CHL courses.

It would only help more good citizens get their CHL and that can only help us with our firearms freedoms when we have more gun owners and shooters.

Excellent Concept!

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 10:46:58 AM EDT
[#15]
At least now you only have to take the class once, not every 5 years. Just an online renewal now. Best part of our LTC is the back ground check is good enough to by pass NICS, and this weekend NICS is down or when they delay you which is happening more and more. To me just to bypass NICS is worth having a LTC.

Constitutional Carry is cool, but a shit load of other regulations will need to be changed to accompany it. If you think of all the belly aching that went on over open carry that required people maintain the LTC, the idiot media would go nuts over Constitutional Carry. Missouri just passed Constitutional Carry but over riding the dickhead governor's veto. Even the media down here was going insane about it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 4:05:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I got my CHL when TX first opened.  It was a bit of a pain, since you had class room for most of day one, and then the shoot the following day.  So it basically took the majority of the weekend.  The instructor was good but the range was outdoors in a pasture if I remember right. (not so good if it had rained prior)

Would love to see TX go to "Constitutional Carry" like several other states have, but I don't really see that happening anytime in the future

BIGGER_HAMMER
View Quote

My company is based out of Seattle, so I decided to get a WA CPL. As an out of state resident all I had to do was go to the sheriffs office, fill out a form, get fingerprinted and pay $55. The CPL showed up in my mailbox 2 months later. Kind of sad that our uber conservative "come and take it" state makes a license more difficult than a state being run by a bunch of liberals.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 4:59:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

My company is based out of Seattle, so I decided to get a WA CPL. As an out of state resident all I had to do was go to the sheriffs office, fill out a form, get fingerprinted and pay $55. The CPL showed up in my mailbox 2 months later. Kind of sad that our uber conservative "come and take it" state makes a license more difficult than a state being run by a bunch of liberals.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

BIGGER_HAMMER

John Lott did a study of all the 'shall issue' states, Texas was one of the most expensive and toughest to get. Most states look just at criminal records, in Texas you need to make sure your taxes are paid, student loans are current, and child support is not in arrears. It one thing that makes me think that the idiots that throw up 30.06/30.07 signs are putting restrictions on the people who are real good citizens.

There are some states that do such a shitty job on their CHL/CWP that you cannot bypass the NICS with their permits.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 8:54:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'd do that. I've been putting mine off since I moved to Texas. My Florida one can't be used here anymore now that I am a Texas resident - unless I jump through some hoops I think.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 10:31:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Serious question for those of you who have always planned on getting it but have not.

Is it because you do shift work and the idea of making a morning class just has not happened for you? Or is it because you don't have the time ever to leave and go out for what is going to work out to the better part of a day to take the class?

Maybe you just don't like the thought of being on a firing line with people you don't know.

View Quote

Because they're taking forever to process it. Doesn't even show on the status page yet.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 10:44:20 PM EDT
[#20]
I got my original CHL pretty much when I was old enough, I think in 2001 - been a while to recall the specifics.  Relocated to PA for 4 years, had my CHL there as well, then had to apply as a new applicant when I moved back to TX.  Interestingly, I got my original license number back.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 11:18:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
At least now you only have to take the class once, not every 5 years. Just an online renewal now. Best part of our LTC is the back ground check is good enough to by pass NICS, and this weekend NICS is down or when they delay you which is happening more and more. To me just to bypass NICS is worth having a LTC.

Constitutional Carry is cool, but a shit load of other regulations will need to be changed to accompany it. If you think of all the belly aching that went on over open carry that required people maintain the LTC, the idiot media would go nuts over Constitutional Carry. Missouri just passed Constitutional Carry but over riding the dickhead governor's veto. Even the media down here was going insane about it.
View Quote

I'm 101% SURE that the media is advising all those poor Missourians that they will need to wear waders due to all the Blood that will be spilled in the Streets...  

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 12:02:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Because they're taking forever to process it. Doesn't even show on the status page yet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ironically now it says it's been mailed.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 12:59:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Money.  Wife and three kids take priority when it comes to the limited money I have, plus it's damned ridiculous how much the state of TX charged for a (so-called) right.  

$60 for a class is doable, but $140 is nuts for the permit.

One day I'll get around to it, but $200 puts a lot of food on the table vs a permit that would actually get very little use (I am only out when at the grocery store, do not eat out, can't carry at work, etc).  
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 1:03:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
There are some states that do such a shitty job on their CHL/CWP that you cannot bypass the NICS with their permits.
View Quote

Which ones?
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 4:28:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Which ones?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which ones?

Nevada is one,
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 10:47:22 AM EDT
[#26]
I will get my LTC in 60 months
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 11:54:30 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

BIGGER_HAMMER

This.  I moved to TX with a WA based company.  I already had my WA CHL which is so much easier to get than TX and cheaper too. Only $32 to renew every 5 years.

The WA CHL is a flimsy piece of paper tho with no picture.  The only reason I may get a TX one is to have another ID for TSA usage when I fly and I think something about having your gun in your car while on school grounds (not exactly sure about that TX rule so I wanted to get the particulars of TX CHL code).

When I get pulled over some cops give me gried and others couldn't care less that it's from WA.

Last month while in WA I saw a gun store offering the UT CHL for WA residents. That made little sense to me unless there are states that recognize UT that don't recognize WA.

It is sad that an ultra liberal state like WA had CHL since at least 1987 and is one of the easiest ones to get.

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 1:27:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Why haven't I gotten it?   Well, considering I've renewed it first week of May and have tried emailing and calling DPS to no answer or reply.  I'm sitting at almost 5 MONTHS with this run-around horse crap, and finally emailed the State Rep a few days ago.  She said thanks for contacting her and she will look into it...

So, the wait continues...
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 3:52:38 PM EDT
[#29]
I don't go many places where I could carry, so it's not high on the priority list.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 6:14:11 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View Quote

Not my last three renewals and I have had mine for 18 years; 63 days, 9 days and last one just came in at 22 days (just renewed). The first one did take just over 4 months but that was because I needed something from out of state and it took them a long time to find it as the paper work was nearly lost in a flooded basement.

The biggest reason to get it is the NICS waiver, but the political aspect of the more of us that have one, the better the laws in Texas have become. When we do get Constitutional Carry, I will still keep it because of NICS.

ETA: Yes, the price is insane and needs to come down-- considerably.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 3:24:25 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:29:36 AM EDT
[#32]
The people that I know that shoot, and do not have a CHL do not qualify for one reason or another.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 11:29:05 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The people that I know that shoot, and do not have a CHL do not qualify for one reason or another.
View Quote

what constitutes a disqualifier?
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 12:23:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I suspect some kind of misdeameanor conviction that the time limit has not expired on.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 3:53:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Some claim child support issues, out of state arrest documents that are not available, tax problems after divorce. It could be BS and they are ex-convicts for all I know. I don't run background checks on everybody I know. (Just the free stuff from counties.)I do believe them when they say can't get and they do not have their CHL though.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 5:10:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Same here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here.

All of this.

It is not clear to me why I should be asking permission to exercise a right from people who have not even a tenth of the knowledge, training and experience I possess. I'm also not very thrilled about paying large sums of money to purchase the "privilege" of carrying a weapon back from the government.

And why is it that Texas seems to think that the minutiae of our personal lives and finances is any of their business? If you just HAVE to jam permits and licenses down people's throats, why make it more difficult to obtain than it really has to be?

I'll probably buy my LTC and jump through the hundreds of fiery hoops that Texas places in front of its law-abiding citizens in order to get it, but I'm not going to pretend that I'm happy about it, and I'm damn sure not going to grovel at their feet in some grotesque display of gratitude.

I can't help but notice that criminals are still carrying whatever they want, wherever they want however they want and no one seems to be doing a damn thing about that. Interesting that the law-abiding citizens have to pay ridiculous fees, then be subjected to scrutiny, tests, background checks and other onerous measures in order to be judged worthy of the privilege of defending themselves.

What's more appalling is the number of people who gleefully welcome these conditions and gladly submit to further restrictions in return for a crumb or two of the supposedly inalienable rights they used to have.

Link Posted: 10/3/2016 9:26:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Large sums of money?  It's what 140 bucks to get a LTC, plus finger prints and a boring class, so about 250 bucks, max, good for 4 years.  If 70 bucks a year is a huge amount of money you need to get a better job!  Plus half or more off if you're a vet - I got my renewal for 25 bucks last month.

Don't think they look at your finances, besides if the payment is valid.

Hundrends of firely hoops?  Lord have mercy, you fill a form out, take a boring class, get printed, shoot at a target the size of a NFL guard, and wait till it shows up in the mail.

Actually, Texans didn't have the right to carry for a long number of years, from ??? until 1995.  Texas has traditionaly had very restrictive carry laws.

Since then the LTC law has gotten much better - no one is accepting crumbs, as you claim.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 11:31:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Actually, Texans didn't have the right to carry for a long number of years, from ??? until 1995.
View Quote

Texans - and all other US citizens - have always had the right to carry.

The state just chose to ignore that fact until recently.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 5:27:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

BIGGER_HAMMER

Thank the Yankee carpet baggers after the War of Northern Aggression and the
140 years of Democrat held Texas
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 5:39:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

BIGGER_HAMMER

It was the citizens of Texas that elected the Democrats, no one else.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 7:07:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I'd do that. I've been putting mine off since I moved to Texas. My Florida one can't be used here anymore now that I am a Texas resident - unless I jump through some hoops I think.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unless the law has changed, I believe you may carry concealed with a Florida License as a Texas resident. I nask the LEOs in my unit how they would react if a Texas resident shows a FL CCW, and they all say something regarding  it being an accepted license etc... Now, I would not rely on legal advice given by a LEO, and the ones I have asked know me and have carried government issued powerful weaponry alongside of me. Your post is going to cause me to look it up again. Texas denied me a license almost twenty years ago because the office staffer reviewing my application did not understand the document that restored my civil rights. I accept that they can refuse me a CCW, but I would like the reason to be that I simply do not qualify regardless of whether or not my rights have been restored rather than,"I do not know what this document is, so No".

Link Posted: 10/4/2016 9:33:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Money.  Wife and three kids take priority when it comes to the limited money I have, plus it's damned ridiculous how much the state of TX charged for a (so-called) right.  

$60 for a class is doable, but $140 is nuts for the permit.

One day I'll get around to it, but $200 puts a lot of food on the table vs a permit that would actually get very little use (I am only out when at the grocery store, do not eat out, can't carry at work, etc).  
View Quote

To renew mine will only be $25!!
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 2:15:23 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
If 70 bucks a year is a huge amount of money you need to get a better job!
View Quote

<GD>  What about $24 a year?  <GD>
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 5:10:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Large sums of money?  It's what 140 bucks to get a LTC, plus finger prints and a boring class, so about 250 bucks, max, good for 4 years.  If 70 bucks a year is a huge amount of money you need to get a better job!  Plus half or more off if you're a vet - I got my renewal for 25 bucks last month.

Don't think they look at your finances, besides if the payment is valid.

Hundrends of firely hoops?  Lord have mercy, you fill a form out, take a boring class, get printed, shoot at a target the size of a NFL guard, and wait till it shows up in the mail.

Actually, Texans didn't have the right to carry for a long number of years, from ??? until 1995.  Texas has traditionaly had very restrictive carry laws.

Since then the LTC law has gotten much better - no one is accepting crumbs, as you claim.
View Quote

The very fact that we have to go through any of that dumbassery AND pay fees is proof positive that we are, in fact, accepting crumbs from the table.

Think about it: Who are the people who come up with these licensing and restriction requirements? Mostly, they're career bureaucrats and functionaries who have never seen, let alone used, a firearm in their entire lives. They're not subject matter experts by any stretch, but they get to determine what, when, where and how you, me and the rest of the citizens of Texas get to carry. IF we are found "worthy of the privilege." All this, despite the fact that the basic law of the land states clearly that "the right to keep AND BEAR arms shall not be infringed." Licensing is nothing more than surrendering a right to the government, and then buying it back from them at whatever price they decide to sell it for.

If I decide to carry a pistol should I determine a need for one, it's really none of the government's business unless I do something stupid with it, which is HIGHLY unlikely in any event. Who are these bureaucrats and flunkies to tell me I can't, when part of my income goes to prop them up in their fat, lazy, avaricious existence?

The laws we have on the subject of guns are mostly idiotic and foolish, but people still say we "NEED" them, when in point of fact, we don't. Criminals are entirely unaffected by the millions of laws we have, unless it might be the inconvenience of occasionally going to jail for free room and board before being released (again) into our neighborhoods, where they will continue to disregard every law we have on the books.

How does penalizing, restricting and licensing the law-abiding make anyone safer from violent crime?

It doesn't.

Just because the goofballs in our government and media have found effective ways to market this garbage doesn't make it a good idea.

Link Posted: 10/5/2016 11:28:06 PM EDT
[#45]
I submitted my application over 75 days ago. The website doesn't show anything about my application but states "Once the application and documents have been received by Handgun Licensing and processing has begun, a more detailed status will appear on this page."  

So I guess I don't know why I don't have a ltc.

Link Posted: 10/6/2016 12:12:05 AM EDT
[#46]
If you listed any non-disqualifying arrests, they want documentation that they were actually non-disqualifying, and that you paid any fines in full. I chased paperwork for 2 days. I had to make an appointment with one city to meet at their archives storage. Another I was lucky to find at all. I did not remember the correct dates. They were supposed to charge me for one of the searches, but the person I dealt with did not know how to invoice the service. I can't imagine how long it would have taken if it was out of state. Watch your mail closely for a letter stating the reason for the delay, if it is not just taking a long time due to the number of people with applications in the system.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 11:00:37 PM EDT
[#47]
I procrastinated forever because the class time was so long when it dropped I got it within a couple months.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 12:49:27 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
If you listed any non-disqualifying arrests, they want documentation that they were actually non-disqualifying, and that you paid any fines in full.
View Quote

This is not the case. I had a drug related arrest as a teenager and another arrest for street racing as a young adult in another state. I didn't have any documentation; hell I didn't even have exact dates. I put an estimate of the time frame and as much detail as I could remember with a note to contact me if they needed more info. I was never contacted and got my CHL in normal time.

The important thing is not hide anything.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 1:14:41 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Same here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here.

I 100% understand the sentiment.  Grinds my gears.

But I'll tell you what.  Having a CCW means I don't have to fear using my gun.

I'm in the big city, so running into people I'd rather not run into happens a lot.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 7:07:19 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

This is not the case. I had a drug related arrest as a teenager and another arrest for street racing as a young adult in another state. I didn't have any documentation; hell I didn't even have exact dates. I put an estimate of the time frame and as much detail as I could remember with a note to contact me if they needed more info. I was never contacted and got my CHL in normal time.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you listed any non-disqualifying arrests, they want documentation that they were actually non-disqualifying, and that you paid any fines in full.

Mine got kicked back to me. Could be the time frame. My screw ups were in the mid 80's. They could not check/verify them in their database, at least that is what I was told.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top