Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 7:43:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I recommend anyone that has an issue like that to file a formal complaint.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 7:52:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Does this mean a felon is good to go unless the feds show up at his house?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Another law that a lot of people don't know about.

A felon is legal to possess a firearm on the premises of which he lives, 5 years after he completes his penalty phase.

I suppose that would not include his yard.

That's just state law. Federal law prohibits a felon from possessing a firearm or ammunition anywhere.

No.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 8:34:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

No.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A felon is legal to possess a firearm on the premises of which he lives, 5 years after he completes his penalty phase.

That's just state law. Federal law prohibits a felon from possessing a firearm or ammunition anywhere.

No.

Why?  

Please explain.

Link Posted: 9/1/2016 8:39:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

OOOOOHHHHH!!!!!!! Like a popularity contest?

Seriously.......if you are having that many "interactions" with police officers maybe you should revaluate how you are living your life.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There are good cops & bad cops.  I wish we had an online rating system (like rating college professors) so we could easily identify which ones are GTG and which ones to steer clear.  I've interacted with some great ones but the few bad ones have left a very bad taste in my mouth, like many other people.  The ones that pull the "US vs. THEM" mentality are usually the bad cops in my experience.

OOOOOHHHHH!!!!!!! Like a popularity contest?

Seriously.......if you are having that many "interactions" with police officers maybe you should revaluate how you are living your life.

Guess I live on the wild side by attending evil gun shows - I'm about as boring as a guy could be but have toys some folks freak out about (which I can explain/educate) but then you have those Barney Fife's that know all, like the OP's example.  Filing complaints are worthless since my experience is continued ignorance of the law and then telling me I should have just "picked up the can citizen".  Again, as confirmed, most cops aren't gun guys so I'd like to know which ones not interact with.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 8:46:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I recommend anyone that has an issue like that to file a formal complaint.
View Quote

Tried it and it didn't work since the IA lady didn't see a problem with the officer's threats and refused to take action.  Another time I was almost run over by a LEO making an illegal lane change and was then told it was an internal issue and none of my business.  Some departments can be very "US vs THEM" mentality which I've noticed to become a trend in the past 20 years..
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 9:31:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Why?  

Please explain.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.

Why?  

Please explain.

Federal law prohibits a felon from possessing a firearm or ammunition anywhere.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 11:23:41 PM EDT
[#7]

Does said felon have to be convicted under federal law for this restriction?  This is a serious question (and , no, I am not a felon).
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 9:06:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The short answer is yes..

The long answer is if a Texas cop comes to your house and sees a gun and is aware that you are a convicted felon you aren't subject to being arrested. However, the officer could reach out to a Federal Agent and see if he/she would be interested in the case. In practice (at least in the Northern District of Texas) the Feds aren't interested in accepting a Felon in possession of a firearm case unless there is an accompanying charge to go with it, like a dope charge. That's no guarantee the feds wouldn't arrest the guy but unless he is doing something else illegal he's probably okay. It's a lot like the marijuana legalization in Colorado and Washington. It's legal under state law but illegal under Federal law. So in theory the feds could arrest you for possessing MJ in Colorado but in practice they don't take MJ cases unless you have something like 100 lbs or so in your possession.

Honestly, I've been an LEO for a long time and I don't see the point in stripping felons of their gun rights (or voting rights). I think once a guy does his bit then he should get his rights  back. If he screws up he and goes back in the system then they get revoked again. There is a good percentage of felons who can't and won't stop breaking the law so it's a self-correcting problem. But if a guy goes to prison, follows the rules, gets out then as a society we should be satisfied with that. The way it is the guy who does what society wants him to do (obeys the law) is still being punished for the rest of his law. Where's the redemption in that?
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 9:07:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Does said felon have to be convicted under federal law for this restriction?  This is a serious question (and , no, I am not a felon).
View Quote

No, any felony conviction applies under the Federal statute.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 10:57:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
....Honestly, I've been an LEO for a long time and I don't see the point in stripping felons of their gun rights (or voting rights). I think once a guy does his bit then he should get his rights  back. If he screws up he and goes back in the system then they get revoked again. There is a good percentage of felons who can't and won't stop breaking the law so it's a self-correcting problem. But if a guy goes to prison, follows the rules, gets out then as a society we should be satisfied with that. The way it is the guy who does what society wants him to do (obeys the law) is still being punished for the rest of his law. Where's the redemption in that?
View Quote

I would support giving gun rights back to those convicted of nonviolent felonies once they have completed their sentence, but I can't fathom giving gun rights back to those convicted of assault, robbery, or murder. (even if they didn't use a firearm in commission of the crime)
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 11:07:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I would support giving gun rights back to those convicted of nonviolent felonies once they have completed their sentence, but I can't fathom giving gun rights back to those convicted of assault, robbery, or murder. (even if they didn't use a firearm in commission of the crime)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
....Honestly, I've been an LEO for a long time and I don't see the point in stripping felons of their gun rights (or voting rights). I think once a guy does his bit then he should get his rights  back. If he screws up he and goes back in the system then they get revoked again. There is a good percentage of felons who can't and won't stop breaking the law so it's a self-correcting problem. But if a guy goes to prison, follows the rules, gets out then as a society we should be satisfied with that. The way it is the guy who does what society wants him to do (obeys the law) is still being punished for the rest of his law. Where's the redemption in that?

That's a reasonable position especially in the case of murder but what about the guy who is 18 and does something really stupid like an armed robbery and then does his time. He's completely rehabilitated and is living his life as a productive citizen. I think the law could be crafted in a way that took facts like that into consideration. I have an example of a guy who probably deserves to have his rights restored. He was a good citizen until his late 30s when his wife divorced him, he ended up meeting another girl who introduced him to meth and his life just spiraled out of control. He ended up robbing a couple of banks using a note. We caught him and he readily confessed and took responsibility. No one was hurt in the robberies and he repaid the stolen funds. He's out now and living with family and has his life on track but because of the law he can never vote or own a gun. I just think that law needs to be revisited.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 12:21:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

That's a reasonable position especially in the case of murder but what about the guy who is 18 and does something really stupid like an armed robbery and then does his time. He's completely rehabilitated and is living his life as a productive citizen. I think the law could be crafted in a way that took facts like that into consideration. I have an example of a guy who probably deserves to have his rights restored. He was a good citizen until his late 30s when his wife divorced him, he ended up meeting another girl who introduced him to meth and his life just spiraled out of control. He ended up robbing a couple of banks using a note. We caught him and he readily confessed and took responsibility. No one was hurt in the robberies and he repaid the stolen funds. He's out now and living with family and has his life on track but because of the law he can never vote or own a gun. I just think that law needs to be revisited.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shoplifting is a stupid mistake, armed robbery is a calculated act. At 18 a person damn well better know right from wrong.
How many second chances should someone get? I believe in forgiveness of sins, but I sure as heck don't believe in forgetting them.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 1:45:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Shoplifting is a stupid mistake, armed robbery is a calculated act. At 18 a person damn well better know right from wrong.
How many second chances should someone get? I believe in forgiveness of sins, but I sure as heck don't believe in forgetting them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I heard of a guy years ago that went to jail for murder.  Apparently his friend wanted him to drive over to a guy's ex gf's house where the friend went inside and killed someone.  Driver claimed to not know true intentions but was arrested and before trial the killer made a deal and testified against the driver.  Drugs were involved which turned to many poor choices up to that moment.  I'm not sure I believe the story 100% but I could see many situations where a person is convicted as a violent felon (at least that's what I see in the movies anyway) so I'm a fan of giving people their rights back after they pay society for their injustices and complete parole.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 2:07:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, if he was caught and punished then he's getting his second chance when he finishes parole. If he screws that up then to hell with him. But if he does what society wants and starts living live as a productive citizen then he should be rewarded for it. He is still going to have that conviction on his record so nobody is forgetting anything. As I said before, the hardcore crooks are going to keep screwing up so it's a self correcting problem.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 4:33:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The long answer is if a Texas cop comes to your house and sees a gun and is aware that you are a convicted felon you aren't subject to being arrested. However, the officer could reach out to a Federal Agent and see if he/she would be interested in the case. In practice (at least in the Northern District of Texas) the Feds aren't interested in accepting a Felon in possession of a firearm case unless there is an accompanying charge to go with it, like a dope charge. That's no guarantee the feds wouldn't arrest the guy but unless he is doing something else illegal he's probably okay. It's a lot like the marijuana legalization in Colorado and Washington. It's legal under state law but illegal under Federal law. So in theory the feds could arrest you for possessing MJ in Colorado but in practice they don't take MJ cases unless you have something like 100 lbs or so in your possession.

Honestly, I've been an LEO for a long time and I don't see the point in stripping felons of their gun rights (or voting rights). I think once a guy does his bit then he should get his rights  back. If he screws up he and goes back in the system then they get revoked again. There is a good percentage of felons who can't and won't stop breaking the law so it's a self-correcting problem. But if a guy goes to prison, follows the rules, gets out then as a society we should be satisfied with that. The way it is the guy who does what society wants him to do (obeys the law) is still being punished for the rest of his law. Where's the redemption in that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you MSB2199

What you've said fits a scenario I know of.

Short story:

HOA Lady married to Mr. Felon (  DWI x 3 + a theft charge.  5 years has elapsed since penalty phase ).
Mr. Felon joins into a retail gun dealership with his buddy as a partnership.
Old guy homeowner finds out HOA lady has extorted $74,400 - CASH - out of HOA expenses without receipts.
Old guy homeowner files embezzlement report with Sheriff, and calls ATF - notifies them the Mr. Felon is in possession of weapons at gun shows, and shitloads of weapons at home.
He can prove it as Mr. Felon is listed on the ATF registered dealer sheet.

9 months has elapsed.
Nothing happens.

There's a lot more to the story ( Felon spitting on 72 year old guy - trying to fight / intimidate etc ).

My opinion: " Someday "  LEO will stop him - open container + DWI + Felon in possession.

Link Posted: 9/2/2016 8:37:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Thank you MSB2199

Short story:

HOA Lady married to Mr. Felon (  DWI x 3 + a theft charge.  5 years has elapsed since penalty phase ).
Old guy homeowner finds out HOA lady has extorted $74,400 - CASH - out of HOA expenses without receipts.
Old guy homeowner files embezzlement report with Sheriff, and calls ATF - notifies them the Mr. Felon is in possession of weapons at gun shows, and shitloads of weapons at home.

9 months has elapsed.
Nothing happens.

There's a lot more to the story ( Felon spitting on 72 year old guy - trying to fight / intimidate etc ).

My opinion: " Someday "  LEO will stop him - open container + DWI + Felon in possession.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you MSB2199

Short story:

9 months has elapsed.
Nothing happens.

And if driving within 1,000 feet of a school zone, the feds can add another charge (which I rarely see happen).
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top