Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/19/2016 7:26:35 PM EDT
Since I moved out here to Parker county I have been seeing this type of lizard all around the yard. These things are huge, about 7-8 inches long and 1" to 1 1/4" wide. They run away before I could take a good pic of them.

Does anyone know what it is ? Are they harmful or harmless ?

Link Posted: 8/19/2016 8:05:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Since I moved out here to Parker county I have been seeing this type of lizard all around the yard. These things are huge, about 7-8 inches long and 1" to 1 1/4" wide. They run away before I could take a good pic of them.
Possum lizard

Does anyone know what it is ? Are they harmful or harmless ?
The only poisonous lizard in the US is the Gila Monster......and that's definitely not a GM.
Lizards are helpful (eat bugs and spiders), harmless and fun to watch when another lizard comes close.

Here are pics of common lizards in Texas: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_reptiles_of_Texas#Lizards

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/19/2016 8:18:17 PM EDT
[#2]
They are FAST, caught a young one once.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 9:04:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Common spiny lizard. They are all over here.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 9:52:15 PM EDT
[#4]
It's commonly referred to as the "blurry striped brick lizard"
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 9:53:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Common spiny lizard. They are all over here.
View Quote

Yes, I agree, have them also.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 12:11:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Yup I'm in Parker county too, got some of them too, love to just sit and watch them.  Harmless and good for the yard.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 2:11:34 AM EDT
[#7]
We grew up calling them "rusty lizards", but their real name is a spiny lizard.

That is apposed to the stripped "rainbow lizards" that are green striped, but the tail is a solid color.

Then there are those Godless Mediterranean geckos...

All of them eat bugs... if they didn't, I'd have the .22 revolver loaded with some rat shot for them.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 1:47:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Those are good lizards.    There are no poisonous Texas lizards like Jurassic Park......except the Gila Monster.    The Gilas are slow, and will have to grab and chew to allow the poison to enter the wound.  No injecting fangs....just a secretion that has to be drooled into the wound.

Enjoy those guys.  They will eat roaches and such making your home better.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 5:26:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Ever which-a-way road lizard
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 7:13:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Sasquatch lizard. Like the sasquatch all pics of the lizard come outh blurry
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 3:35:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Texas Spiny Lizard.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 6:55:39 PM EDT
[#12]
As others have said, Texas Spiny Lizard.   8-9" long is not uncommon.  If you grab them by the tail, their tail pops off an wriggles around (they regrow).  The males can have shiny blue belly scales.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 7:07:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Growing up in San Antonio, I never saw them and Frisco/Plano is probably to urbanized for them. It's good to hear their not harmful.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 7:18:06 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Growing up in San Antonio, I never saw them and Frisco/Plano is probably to urbanized for them. It's good to hear their not harmful.
View Quote
Really?  We had them EVERYWHERE in Fredericksburg, and in Boerne.  Great camo on the oak trees.  They love suburbs, too; wood fences, flowerbeds, etc. make for great hunt grounds.  

Link Posted: 8/23/2016 6:09:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Looks like the fence lizards we have back in Mississippi.

Little bastards are fast as fuck!
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 8:30:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Twice I've had them living in my apartments in my ute. Neighbors had roaches
I did not
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 5:52:05 PM EDT
[#17]
I was once starving on a rock climbing trip with some friends at Enchanted Rock. One of those lizzards kept popping up out of a crack on the Main Dome along Echo Canyon where we were setting a top rope. One of my friends said if we caught it he would kill it and eat it. Another friend and I sat next to the crack armed with rocks for a long time trying to stun it. We felt like cave men. We never caught it. It was too fast. My friend went hungry.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 6:25:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I was once starving on a rock climbing trip with some friends at Enchanted Rock. One of those lizzards kept popping up out of a crack on the Main Dome along Echo Canyon where we were setting a top rope. One of my friends said if we caught it he would kill it and eat it. Another friend and I sat next to the crack armed with rocks for a long time trying to stun it. We felt like cave men. We never caught it. It was too fast. My friend went hungry.
View Quote

you have fucked up friends
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 7:57:27 PM EDT
[#19]
I've lived here all my life and have always called them Texas Tree Lizards...Now I feel like a dipshit
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 10:17:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Pick is blurry as hell but looks like a
Mountain Boomer to me.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:20:01 AM EDT
[#21]
worst picture lol
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:23:31 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Pick is blurry as hell but looks like a
Mountain Boomer to me.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

That was my 3rd try at trying to take a picture of one. Every time I  would get close enough, they would run off before I could click the shutter. They are really fast.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 9:53:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
As others have said, Texas Spiny Lizard.   8-9" long is not uncommon.  If you grab them by the tail, their tail pops off an wriggles around (they regrow).  The males can have shiny blue belly scales.  
View Quote

AL of this is correct.
I will add that if the air temp is 70 degrees F, you can carefully catch them by hand, certainly by easing up and tossing a shirt or hat over top of them.
We have lots of them around my place, anoles, too.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 5:52:51 PM EDT
[#24]
We have one of these fellows at my house.  He's been with us for about 3 years.  We call him Fred.  He's grown big and fat within those 3 years.  Recently we saw him with another smaller Spiny Lizard and figured he has a misses now.  We let them be and they take care of the bugs on our porch.  Fred does sneak up on me sometimes and scares the living hell out of me.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 10:36:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
We have one of these fellows at my house.  He's been with us for about 3 years.  We call him Fred.  He's grown big and fat within those 3 years.  Recently we saw him with another smaller Spiny Lizard and figured he has a misses now.  We let them be and they take care of the bugs on our porch.  Fred does sneak up on me sometimes and scares the living hell out of me.
View Quote

They do seem to get used to people.
We had one that lived under the fireplace on the deck.
He would come out and follow my daughter around the yard.
If she stopped, he stopped, and would pick up when she did.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 3:53:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Those are good lizards.    There are no poisonous venomous Texas lizards like Jurassic Park......except the Gila Monster.    The Gilas are slow, and will have to grab and chew to allow the poison to enter the wound.  No injecting fangs....just a secretion that has to be drooled into the wound.

Enjoy those guys.  They will eat roaches and such making your home better.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/3/2016 8:48:00 PM EDT
[#27]
They make pretty cool pets. Pretty fast and tough to catch, but with lots of handling over the years I used to have a few that'd happily hang out on my shoulder and run around the house.

I have both them and Anoles here in north Austin, plus we have the Texas Alligator Lizard native here too. Those are REALLY cool lizards, with a pretty potent bite. But kept well, they live a really long time and are pretty docile.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top