Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/24/2016 10:54:58 PM EDT
Who has the cheapest rate? My rate whent up from $1000 to $1500  with twfg anyone has any recommendation?
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 11:11:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Who has the cheapest rate? My rate whent up from $1000 to $1500  with twfg anyone has any recommendation?
View Quote

No such thing as cheapest rate when it comes to flood insurance.  It's a national insurance program and the amount you pay is based on the probability of your home flooding.  The only way to possibly reduce it is to have surveyor come out to do an elevation study.  If your home is above the predicted flood height for the area then you will get a discount.  It knocked several hundred dollars off my premium.  Of course, it continually goes up so you always end up paying more every year.  
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 2:37:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Only FEMA insures for flood.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 10:11:03 AM EDT
[#3]
When I lived in Harris County I was with USAA. Even though I lived in the 100year flood zone our house never flooded during torrential downpours.  USAA suggested that I have an elevation survey done on my property. Turns out that the slab of my foundation  was higher (slightly) than the base flood line which dropped my rate. I think the survey cost me about $300 and it dropped my rate about $200 per year so I recouped my money after the second year.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 4:52:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When I lived in Harris County I was with USAA. Even though I lived in the 100year flood zone our house never flooded during torrential downpours.  USAA suggested that I have an elevation survey done on my property. Turns out that the slab of my foundation  was higher (slightly) than the base flood line which dropped my rate. I think the survey cost me about $300 and it dropped my rate about $200 per year so I recouped my money after the second year.
View Quote

this is the best any only method to get a lower rate versus comparing your elevation to the outdated FEMA elevation maps. Also consider that you may even find the survey could effect you negatively. You dont have to submit it, but be aware that the maps get updated every few years.

I had a bad experience with flood insurance because USAA screwed me on my flood policy based on the purchase value of my home and properly, not the cost of replacing the dwelling. It was a twist in the VA loan mixed with them financing me. So if you guys know the going rate for 18 acres in harris county with 2500 sq foot stick frame home built in 2009 goes for, you can say that paying $500 a month for flood insurance is expensive. I fought forever with USAA and ended up switching to Geico who handled it easily and lowered my payment based up on the replacement dwelling cost to about $150 a month. Never purchase insurance from the same bank as your lender, btw, just bad all around. I sold that place in 2014 for a wheelbarrow full of cash to someone who just absolutely wanted land because his wife wanted horses yet wasn't prepared for the things that come with that. Unfortunately he flooded twice in the past few months thanks to all that rain we got back to back. I lucked out and ducked out, but I am sure he is happy he was required to have flood insurance on that home.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 5:12:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

this is the best any only method to get a lower rate versus comparing your elevation to the outdated FEMA elevation maps. Also consider that you may even find the survey could effect you negatively. You dont have to submit it, but be aware that the maps get updated every few years.

I had a bad experience with flood insurance because USAA screwed me on my flood policy based on the purchase value of my home and properly, not the cost of replacing the dwelling. It was a twist in the VA loan mixed with them financing me. So if you guys know the going rate for 18 acres in harris county with 2500 sq foot stick frame home built in 2009 goes for, you can say that paying $500 a month for flood insurance is expensive. I fought forever with USAA and ended up switching to Geico who handled it easily and lowered my payment based up on the replacement dwelling cost to about $150 a month. Never purchase insurance from the same bank as your lender, btw, just bad all around. I sold that place in 2014 for a wheelbarrow full of cash to someone who just absolutely wanted land because his wife wanted horses yet wasn't prepared for the things that come with that. Unfortunately he flooded twice in the past few months thanks to all that rain we got back to back. I lucked out and ducked out, but I am sure he is happy he was required to have flood insurance on that home.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My Dad's house resides on a street that's "up hill" if you will.  Houses at the opposite end are at the low end where water drains in the horrible drainage system.  About once a year the street floods and houses at the end of the street get water in them.  

Well some idiot drew a circle on a map and put my dad in the high risk zone and tried to triple his flood insurance.  A survey later he is still on the lowest rate.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 8:30:13 PM EDT
[#6]
During the last big bought of rain my neighborhood took on a little bit of water...The water came even higher later that day.

And my drive to work...

I decided I would give up and get flood insurance.  With all the construction around us the ability of water to drain from the area is getting worse and worse.  I have now seen roads completely flooded in the immediate areas surround my home multiple times in the last year.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 3:42:33 AM EDT
[#7]
We had a tad of water back in May.

This is in our back yard and that's a IH354.

These are posts for a four foot fence in the corner of our front yard.

We had two big truck tires under our house that washed up and lodged under it. One's still there because those things are heavy. Along with several other pickup and car tires, there's a 50 gallon propane tank in the ditch beside the house.  The water got up even with the under side of the floor. Our insurance company took a hit and is still taking it.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 6:01:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Our insurance company took a hit and is still taking it.
View Quote

No, for flood,
the taxpayers are taking the hit and are still taking it.

Insurance companies merely work the loss for the Federal Flood Insurance Program.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 2:14:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Just renewed through USAA National Flood Policy.  $3497 for 225k of coverage.  Up over $600 from last year.  BOHICA  near Brays Bayou.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top