User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 10:19:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just re-submitted my most recent bill from TXU, since they now have a full billing cycle of data to work with. We'll see what they come up with.

FWIW, I'm currently sitting at $131.90 for 1377 kWh. Call it $0.096/kWh average. Compared to what I'm used to at my old place in Ohio, that ain't bad honestly. And it's a lot warmer here than it is there. Everybody told me TXU would be expensive as shit (after I already ordered service - awesome timing ), but that doesn't seem particularly high to me. Maybe it's because I'm a new customer.

~1,900 sq ft (4bd, 2ba, single story, built in 2015, two adults, two kids), A/C kept at 73F 24/7.

My contract ends 8/15/2017, and it's $150. I'm sure they'll factor that in.

Fingers crossed!
View Quote

Your rates from TXU and house size match mine very close. I'm curious to see how much they can save you.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 11:40:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
FALARAK: Its definitely an energy efficient house. My home inspector (an arfcommer) said as much, when he took thermal images of it. It definitely made me feel a lot better about pulling the trigger on it. There's a very good chance that my water bill will be more than my electric bill.

I pulled smart meter data from last year, and the month with the highest usage was actually February (I have a heat pump). Must have been a cold winter.
View Quote

Shit, last year we didn't see a flake of snow...and for someone having lived his entire life in NY or PA....it was very weird....

But the guys from here all say last winter was a very mild winter....we only ran the furnace a few times...gas bill is cheap! Unlike up north....in fact other than the fact we pay a minimum of $18 a month for "service" fees, our gas bill would be nil practically....

Water bills can get high...no great lake(s) to pull from down here...living on the shores of Lake Erie, we were used to cheap water bills, usually less a quarter than we pay a month down here. It can get pricey in the summer if you water your lawn/gardens....

Although I tell you what, if you have a leak anywhere, fix it! I had a leak from the hose bib last year, I didn't really notice it since I was here alone before my wife and son came down, and trying to unpack....got a water bill for $300! Figured out the issue and fixed it real quick after that eye opener!
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 4:56:13 PM EDT
[#3]
We signed up today, I just got our last bill sent in, so I expect we won't see an email before tomorrow.  Their website says they can save us $800/year, let's see.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 2:28:34 PM EDT
[#4]
So, got my first estimate at a contract with Source power and gas - projected to be billing me at ~$0.07/kwh

that would be a significant savings over my old plan.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 4:19:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
So, got my first estimate at a contract with Source power and gas - projected to be billing me at ~$0.07/kwh

View Quote

Same. 6-Month - Source Conserve Now 6 @$0.0766 kWh, effective rate.

Not a huge savings over what I currently have with TXU, but enough.
Link Posted: 9/28/2016 8:49:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Just got my bill for last month and it was $97.00 cheaper than for the same period last year.

This is the first time Arfcom has saved me any money. I usually end up buying shit that costs me money.

Link Posted: 9/28/2016 9:07:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Just got my bill for last month and it was $97.00 cheaper than for the same period last year.  

This is the first time Arfcom has saved me any money. I usually end up buying shit that costs me money.

View Quote

Now you can invest the savings into more ammo
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 10:28:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Cool I'll have to try it I hate trying to rummage through all the companies and the bs..
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 1:09:20 AM EDT
[#9]
For what it's worth ,

With Energy Ogre I switched to Source from TXU, and was set to save a significant amount of money. TXU then called the next day and offered to beat the rate,  plus a $30 rebate if I hit 1200 kwh. That and the lack of the $10/ month Energy Ogre subscription, it made sense for me to revert back to TXU.

Anyways, you have 3 biz days by law (according to txu rep) to switch before they can charge a cancellation fee, so it might be worth while to pay attention to calls from your previous provider.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 1:35:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
For what it's worth ,

With Energy Ogre I switched to Source from TXU, and was set to save a significant amount of money. TXU then called the next day and offered to beat the rate,  plus a $30 rebate if I hit 1200 kwh. That and the lack of the $10/ month Energy Ogre subscription, it made sense for me to revert back to TXU.

Anyways, you have 3 biz days by law (according to txu rep) to switch before they can charge a cancellation fee, so it might be worth while to pay attention to calls from your previous provider.
View Quote

Baby, Ike is sorry he treated you so badly and took you for granted, but you know it will be different this time around.  Ike promises it!!

Link Posted: 10/1/2016 11:52:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

nice. i'll find out in a few more weeks how it goes.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 5:35:39 PM EDT
[#12]
You guys better be right I just signed up.  Said they could save me $1400 a year.   I will never hear the end of it if I'm wrong.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 4:24:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You guys better be right I just signed up.  Said they could save me $1400 a year.   I will never hear the end of it if I'm wrong.
View Quote

I was skeptical as well when I first signed up. Now it has been two months and my electric bill is down close to half.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 8:04:39 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm really thinking about signing up for this service. Having options in Texas is great, but many of the options are scams because of fees. They specifically design the plans to appear to have a low charge per kWh, but the rates increase substantially if you use more than a set amount of power.

The powertochoose site really needs to be designed so that you can input a kWh usage number, and it will show you the total calculated bill.

My last bill had around 800kWh of power used and the total was $75. Not too bad.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 2:55:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Told the lady of the house it does not need to be 72 degrees inside the house ALL day long when only the dogs are home. Bill dropped from $210 last month to $160 this month.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 3:00:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Told the lady of the house it does not need to be 72 degrees inside the house ALL day long when only the dogs are home. Bill dropped from $210 last month to $160 this month.
View Quote

mine stays at 70 all day long.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 3:18:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
Mine's at 73 24/7. And I could probably go colder (wife would complain), because it's so cheap. 
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 3:25:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Mine's at 73 24/7. And I could probably go colder (wife would complain), because it's so cheap. 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep...got mine on hold at 73.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 6:30:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Just got my September bill and I have now saved over $1,600 in 8 months.  They told me I would save $2,200 for the year, but I'm currently on track to save $2,400.  

When EnergyOgre calculates the rates and your savings, they are looking at your effective rate which is basically your total bill amount, including ALL fees, taxes, etc., and dividing that by your KWH.  They then quote your new rate using the same methodology.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 9:38:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Just got current bill......

Last year  $225
This year   $92

I used about 100 kWh less this year than last.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 10:50:15 PM EDT
[#21]
$657 saved over 7 billing cycles.  Average savings of 49% compared to my previous provider.

Link Posted: 10/14/2016 11:26:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
$657 saved over 7 billing cycles.  Average savings of 49% compared to my previous provider.

<a href="http://s72.photobucket.com/user/cland72/media/Untitled_zpsgkctol5y.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i187/cland72/Untitled_zpsgkctol5y.jpg</a>
View Quote

What I dont understand is comparing it to those outrageous prices.

I mean.... who pays 19 cents per KWH?

You'd have to just ignore power2choose all together.  You could throw a dart and get rates half that without trying hard.

For instance - I am with Reliant now (the one you are comparing against).  I paid $0.063 per KWH last bill.

I do envy your usage.  I average a little more than double your consumption.  How do you do that?
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 10:39:50 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Me too. Fuck it.

Link Posted: 10/15/2016 4:42:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

You'd have to just ignore power2choose all together.  You could throw a dart and get rates half that without trying hard.

For instance - I am with Reliant now (the one you are comparing against).  I paid $0.063 per KWH last bill.

I do envy your usage.  I average a little more than double your consumption.  How do you do that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s72.photobucket.com/user/cland72/media/Untitled_zpsgkctol5y.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i187/cland72/Untitled_zpsgkctol5y.jpg</a>

I didn't shop for electricity because I was lazy.  That is why Energy Ogre is perfect for me

My house is 2100 sf one story, built in 1999, and I keep the AC on 73 when I'm home.  I have a five year old AC system, but everything else is original.  I do have solar screens on three SE facing windows for morning sun, and two big trees that shade the house in the afternoon.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 11:12:48 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Your rates from TXU and house size match mine very close. I'm curious to see how much they can save you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I just re-submitted my most recent bill from TXU, since they now have a full billing cycle of data to work with. We'll see what they come up with.

FWIW, I'm currently sitting at $131.90 for 1377 kWh. Call it $0.096/kWh average. Compared to what I'm used to at my old place in Ohio, that ain't bad honestly. And it's a lot warmer here than it is there. Everybody told me TXU would be expensive as shit (after I already ordered service - awesome timing ), but that doesn't seem particularly high to me. Maybe it's because I'm a new customer.

~1,900 sq ft (4bd, 2ba, single story, built in 2015, two adults, two kids), A/C kept at 73F 24/7.

My contract ends 8/15/2017, and it's $150. I'm sure they'll factor that in.

Fingers crossed!

Around here (east TX) TXU is the most expensive.

I have reliant, who seem to have the best rates in these parts.

But I'm going to have the cancel my 1 year contract. We're buying a house, but it's Deep East Texas Coop.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top