Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/8/2016 9:06:36 PM EDT
I'm about to sell a house and was thinking about how I should hand the issue of guns in the house. I have a pretty descent safe but I'm a bit worried about all the people that will be walking through the house and finding out I have a big gun safe. That thread with the guns behind stolen from the house in Azle comes to mind.

I was thinking about storing them somewhere else until I move, but I'm just not sure where. Does anyone offer any type of secure storage for a fee?

Or am I worrying about it much more than I need to?
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 9:25:57 PM EDT
[#1]
You could hang something over the safe to "disguise it"...  

Maybe put a panel in front of it.

Anyone viewing the house will have to be with a Realtor (to access the lock box) so there will be a record of WHO & WHEN.

Hope that helps!

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 9:47:02 PM EDT
[#2]
many gun stores offer "cleaning" for a fee.
basically storage. Back in the day it was used to keep the wife from finding a new gun.

Call around to an established shop or two and see how long you can leave it.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 9:52:10 PM EDT
[#3]
You can move your safe and firearms to my garage for $200 per month.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 10:09:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I moved my safe and cabinet,before i listed my house for sale.
Too many people i don't know coming in,and who knows if they tell anybody,
hey" Went to look at a house,and it had lots of guns in it." Impose on a friend to store your guns,peace of mind will be worth it.
Moved all my M/C's too.
YMMV
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 10:20:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I moved my safe and cabinet,before i listed my house for sale.
Too many people i don't know coming in,and who knows if they tell anybody,
hey" Went to look at a house,and it had lots of guns in it." Impose on a friend to store your guns,peace of mind will be worth it.
Moved all my M/C's too.
YMMV
View Quote

This.

What part of the state are you in?
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 10:40:05 PM EDT
[#6]
I was thinking of moving the safe to storage, but is $300 unfortunately. I would be paying $600 to move the safe twice if I did that.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 10:48:41 PM EDT
[#7]
When I sold my house last month I sold the safe to the new owners.  My agent said it happens often that the new owners want to buy a safe.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 8:46:22 AM EDT
[#8]
My sister in law bought her house with a huge safe in it as well.
You could clean it out and show it empty and say "Sold the guns to buy a new house". Assuming you got a place to store your stuff.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 9:21:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Empty the safe completely and store everything at a friend/family member's house.  Change the combo to something simple(if able), such as 1234.  Leave the safe open and unlocked during tours.  As someone said, sell the safe with the house.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 11:41:07 AM EDT
[#10]
You can move them to my place; no storage fee. I will even clean them after I shoot them.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 1:23:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Some years back a friend of mine stored his guns at a local pawnbroker for 2 or 3 months for like $50.  The pawnbroker had a very large safe room.  I know the building is gone now but you might call around.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 4:51:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Many guns shops will store firearms in their walk-in safe for a nominal fee. Relocate the guns, unlock the safe, reinstall the shipping screw, that prevents the door from locking, and prop the door ajar during the showing period.
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 5:22:21 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a smaller safe so I just moved it to the garage with a fridge box over it and then put all my packed boxes around it. Took my ccw with me when we left for a showing.
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 7:19:28 PM EDT
[#14]
I've moved many times - always still had my safe there while the house was being shown, never had a problem.  I always lived in a good area, had big dogs, good neighbors, and a security system..as soon as I was moved out, so were my guns.  People that are casing for houses to hit I don't think are going to go thru a realtor :)  And if you hit an occupied house that you know the owner is armed, has an alarm system, and big dogs - you are not too smart and deserve everything your gonna get....
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 8:18:35 PM EDT
[#15]
One thing I think I will do is not have an open house. I've never done one but I imagine no logs of people entering are kept.
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 9:25:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
One thing I think I will do is not have an open house. I've never done one but I imagine no logs of people entering are kept.
View Quote

Every agent I have spoken with said a open house is only used to get new clients not sale your house .
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 8:20:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'd avoid the open house if I could. The agents do generally keep a record of everyone who comes in for an open house, because  #1 they may contact them about the house to gauge their interest, and #2 they are obviously looking for a house and may not have an agent yet, and #3 if they become the buyers later the agent has some proof that they created the contact.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 10:05:10 AM EDT
[#18]
I have seen more than one house get jacked after an open house. Model homes and inventory homes of builders get hit constantly. The theives will come in the middle of the day sometimes and clear out all of the appliances in minutes. I would wrap the safe to make it look like an antique packed up for shipping if possible. Just in case you don't sell the house right away. That is not an original idea BTW
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 10:49:12 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I'm about to sell a house and was thinking about how I should hand the issue of guns in the house. I have a pretty descent safe but I'm a bit worried about all the people that will be walking through the house and finding out I have a big gun safe. That thread with the guns behind stolen from the house in Azle comes to mind.

I was thinking about storing them somewhere else until I move, but I'm just not sure where. Does anyone offer any type of secure storage for a fee?

Or am I worrying about it much more than I need to?
View Quote
This may not be applicable due to your location but in Houston I used 3 men movers within the last month. They moved my safe as part of the overall house move for an additional $60.

If the safe is on the second floor they upcharge another $150 to move it down the stairs.

I simply removed all the gun stickers from the safe and moved everything gun related to a friends place for a little while whilst the house was being shown and movers came in. Leaving the safe door open is a good plan, people ARE nosy enough to take a quick peek and I put papers in mine, so everyone who viewed the house I guess assumed I had a document safe.

But $300 is silly money, your house moving company will be able to move it for far less.

Link Posted: 7/11/2016 5:30:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I have seen more than one house get jacked after an open house. Model homes and inventory homes of builders get hit constantly. The theives will come in the middle of the day sometimes and clear out all of the appliances in minutes. I would wrap the safe to make it look like an antique packed up for shipping if possible. Just in case you don't sell the house right away. That is not an original idea BTW
View Quote

+1 on "wrapping" the safe.  We sold our previous house three years ago. Before it was shown, I bought the largest U-Haul boxes they sell, wrapped the safe in top, front and sides to look like a large piece of furniture, as it was out of sight inside the master bedroom closet. Put all my ammo cans inside moving boxes, labelled the boxes as kitchen, plates, cook wear, clothes, etc., placed in a spare room stacked in the corner. We were fortunate, as the house only showed twice before an offer was made and accepted. On the market only four days.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 5:47:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

+1 on "wrapping" the safe.  We sold our previous house three years ago. Before it was shown, I bought the largest U-Haul boxes they sell, wrapped the safe in top, front and sides to look like a large piece of furniture, as it was out of sight inside the master bedroom closet. Put all my ammo cans inside moving boxes, labelled the boxes as kitchen, plates, cook wear, clothes, etc., placed in a spare room stacked in the corner. We were fortunate, as the house only showed twice before an offer was made and accepted. On the market only four days.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know of a box that would be big enough for my safe. Maybe a refrigerator box.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 6:06:49 PM EDT
[#22]
go to the big box stores late and ask for a fridge box when they are loading for the next day delievery's. that way it is still in one piece. turn it inside out if you want so it hides the brand name.
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 9:35:39 PM EDT
[#23]

3 Men Movers FTW, cheap, they moved 2 of mine.  I pulled all the contents and loaded my truck to the hilt before they showed up; repopulated the safes when the movers left the new place.  No evidence anywhere they were for firearms as one is a true document safe.

I didn't allow the place to be shown until we moved out.  The realtor never asked why and it made it easier to stage the place favorably, sold it in 6 weeks after listing.
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 7:42:07 AM EDT
[#24]
I don't have any good advice, but it's worth mentioning when I was looking for a house I saw one where a revolver was left out, and other where several boxes of 45ACP were left sitting in the garage on top of a pile of clothes.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 9:24:37 AM EDT
[#25]
Our last realtor said that a lot of them sell with the house.

We looked at something like 20 houses last time. I'd say 20% of them had some sort or the other of safe.

One even had like 20 boxes for $$$$$ shotguns just sitting out in the garage. I get it that few people would know what they were, but at least stack them in a obscure corner or turn them labels in.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 10:50:08 AM EDT
[#26]
I have a whole gun room, reloading etc.

I packed up most of the stuff for the move, labelled the boxes random shit then cross referenced on a paper that is in the safe for move day.

I covered the safe with a painters tarp, then I placed all the boxes strategically in the room so it looks like a wall of boxes ready for moving.

Cant tell there is a safe.

The door has a lock on it and the room has two hooks for my shop light. Whoever views the house probably thinks it was a sex dungeon.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 12:40:32 PM EDT
[#27]
I had my small safe in a spare bedroom that had a small closet that the safe would fit inside. I put everything in the closet and put an exterior grade locking door knob on it and kept it locked. I told the realtor if someone made an offer on the house, I'd be happy to open it up and let them look inside. It was never an issue. The folks bought the house without ever looking in the closet and the day before we moved, I met with the folks, told them about the closet and asked if they wanted me to put the regular door knob back on it.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 1:08:28 PM EDT
[#28]
I had a real issue, since I have well over 100 long guns, safes aren't really an option. I literally stacked them all in a couple of closets, put quilts and such over them all, stacked boxes in front, and that was it....

Again, I knew anytime someone was coming over to the house through our realtor, and our house sold relatively quickly....

If its only a few guns, or a safe load or two, a trusted friends house perhaps?

It is something to think about....
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 3:02:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Go to a pawn shop and get a small loan for them until after you move. I've done it a few times and might do it again when we finish remodeling our other house.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 3:33:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Another option (short term) is to store them in the attic.  Who in their right mind is going up there in 100+ heat!
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 8:50:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Realtor here...real simple. Move the safe.

Two concerns:

Security - No one wants to get their useful tools/firearms/valuables stolen. People see a safe larger than a briefcase, they will immediately think guns and valuables.

Marketing - I'd rather that potential buyers NOT see a giant safe. It is distracting and often doesn't look right anywhere but a garage.

How big is the safe? Even a god-awful moving fee of $600 is likely a far cry from the value of the guns and anything else you want to protect in your home. If you don't have any buddies that can spare a couple hours to help move it to their house, you might be stuck with the pro moving fee (shop around)...and finding new friends

Quoted:
Another option (short term) is to store them in the attic.  Who in their right mind is going up there in 100+ heat!
View Quote

You'd be surprised! Some folks like to look for water heater installation, insulation status, roof leaks, storage/conversion potential, etc. Even in the Texas summers!
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 10:48:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Two concerns:

Security - No one wants to get their useful tools/firearms/valuables stolen. People see a safe larger than a briefcase, they will immediately think guns and valuables.

Marketing - I'd rather that potential buyers NOT see a giant safe. It is distracting and often doesn't look right anywhere but a garage.

How big is the safe? Even a god-awful moving fee of $600 is likely a far cry from the value of the guns and anything else you want to protect in your home. If you don't have any buddies that can spare a couple hours to help move it to their house, you might be stuck with the pro moving fee (shop around)...and finding new friends

You'd be surprised! Some folks like to look for water heater installation, insulation status, roof leaks, storage/conversion potential, etc. Even in the Texas summers!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Two concerns:

Quoted:

What part of the state are you in?  The reason I ask is that out in a west Texas city the potential buyers for my last house liked the idea of the safe I had.  The buyers even paid me for it because they didn't want to take the time to move one to the house.

I would think that in the larger cities people would think of them diffenty then a small town area.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 5:13:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Interesting option...for a safe alternative.

Bed Safe
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 2:47:35 PM EDT
[#34]

I had a storage issue right after Katrina that I had to solve. I had a 1911 and an AR with me and needed to stay on a military reservation.

I went into town and pawned the guns. The pawnbroker locked them in his safe until I went back and got them out of hock. I was only out the juice on a $100.00 pawn loan, (about $10.00 per month if I remember correctly), so it was dirt cheap.

When I went in to pawn them the guy asked me how much I wanted. I told him $10.00. He looked at me really funny then told me it wouldn't be worth his time for less than a c-note.

Only time I ever had a pawnbroker joo me up.

The downside was, being I was from out of state, I had to get a NICS check to get my gunz back.

It's a cheap solution to the issue of short term storage and seems pretty fool-proof to me.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 4:37:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Just rent a storage unit and make sure your guns/ammo/accessories are insured, that's what I do.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 10:55:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:.

I would think that in the larger cities people would think of them diffenty then a small town area.
View Quote

I work all over DFW, but mostly Dallas, Collin and Hunt counties. Some if this kinda stuff will appeal to a certain subset of buyers, but my goal is the get the property in front of and appeal to as wide of a pool of buyers as possible.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top