Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/7/2016 3:37:54 PM EDT
I've never tubed a river before, but have always wanted to.  I have some friends coming into town the first week in August and wanted to look into tubing a river.  Anyone have suggestions?  Best outfitter to use?

Thanks!  
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 4:24:03 PM EDT
[#1]
It has been several years but my advice is to take something to drink non alcoholic. A plastic gallon of water or tea. NO GLASS of any kind. No beer or drinks in glass.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 4:45:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Sunscreen.  Lots of it.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 8:09:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Palmetto said it.....take lots...re-apply frequently.... use too much.  The next day you'll know which in your group didn't.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 8:32:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Go on  a Tuesday before lunch.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 8:45:48 AM EDT
[#5]
I've been down from Canyon Lake to New Braunfels a few times and its been my favorite tubing ever.
Like the others have said, plenty of sunscreen and hydrating beverages.
I've used different outfitters each time and they all have been great.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 9:35:18 AM EDT
[#6]
The Guadalupe below Canyon Dam to New Braunfels is running a little fast if you've never floated before.

I would do the Comal.  Pretty flat water with a couple of fast parts. I usually don't use an outfitter, but have had good luck with Landa River Tubes.

As other's have stated, sunscreen and water, drink alcohol in moderation, have a good time.

In the summer, I'm on the Comal about once a week...feel free to PM if you have any questions.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 12:59:33 PM EDT
[#7]
No styrofoam coolers

Land on both sides of river (excepting public parks) is all private .

Bring a hat.  Long sleeve tee would be good too

Waterproof box for wallet, keys & phone.

We bring some bungies / cord to link tubes
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 5:16:01 PM EDT
[#8]
The Comal is a relaxed, make about three trips over the course of the day, sipping a cold beverage (from a non-Glass, container), talking with friends and checking out the sights kind of thing.

The Guadalupe is going to require your full attention with this much water in it.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 5:16:24 PM EDT
[#9]
do the comal, if it doesn't last long enough for you its a short walk (5 minutes) to do it again.

no glass, take a snack, I think the cooler law got overturned so you can take as much as you want. Take water.

I like Texas tubes personally. Expect to pay ~$50-$75 per person to use an outfitter. But that covers parking, tubes, transportation back, river access, and a rental cooler if you need it.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 9:28:11 PM EDT
[#10]
i liked the rides
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 9:03:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Comal is a relaxed, make about three trips over the course of the day, sipping a cold beverage (from a non-Glass, container), talking with friends and checking out the sights kind of thing.

The Guadalupe is going to require your full attention with this much water in it.
View Quote

This much water ? Guadalupe is only running at 400 cfs at Sattler.  There's finally a little water for recreation without dragging your ass ! The river has been running at 100 cfs for so long people have forgotten when the river was running at reasonable rates !
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 9:48:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I've never tubed a river before, but have always wanted to.  I have some friends coming into town the first week in August and wanted to look into tubing a river.  Anyone have suggestions?  Best outfitter to use?

Thanks!  
View Quote

I've had the best float experience with Rockin' R. Do the long float and they take you up to the dam, takes about 6-8 hours depending on the flow of the river. We always pack a lunch and rest on one of the sand bar islands about mid afternoon to eat. A 30 pack of Natty Light and a case of water will get you through the day.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 12:43:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Rockin R +1

Take food, booze & sunscreen.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 2:27:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
No styrofoam coolers

Land on both sides of river (excepting public parks) is all private .

Bring a hat.  Long sleeve tee would be good too

Waterproof box for wallet, keys & phone.

We bring some bungies / cord to link tubes
View Quote

This. Used Rocking R on Wednesday and have used several times in the past.  20 bucks per tube. Waterproof camera is always a good idea as well.  The weekends SUCK as its full of drunken idiots.  Weekdays are great.  River flow was nice this week with no effort to float.  Low CFM
means dragging ass and or walking.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 7:37:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Float the upper Guadalupe at "The Horseshoe",  where it comes out of Canyon. My favorite float.

If you want the Wild West, look up "Dons fish camp" outside San Marcos. This is the one we do most often.

If you want a wild time, jump on the Guadalupe with Rockin R out of downtown Gruene on a weekend. Holiday weekend for extra craziness. Guadalupe is flowing this year and it can be a handful at times.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 7:44:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Bring a TON of light beer (self explanatory), a bag of wine out of a franzia box (to make friends), some water(duh), sunscreen(duh), a sharp pocket knife with a clip on your wasteband (cut twine, divorce yourself from drunk tube, etc - saved my ass a bunch of times), a wide brim hat, and a bag of sandwiches ( make more friends) and you're set.

I wear vibram five fingers type shoes for getting in and out.
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 9:15:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Just floated the Guadalupe this weekend. Had lots of fun. No glass or styrofoam. I think New Braunfels has cooler size restrictions. Double check that before you go. You can buy a nice tube at Academy and just pay the float fee wherever you go.

Hit up Cooper's Old Time Pit Barbecue afterwards.
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 9:17:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Just floated the Guadalupe this weekend. Had lots of fun. No glass or styrofoam. I think New Braunfels has cooler size restrictions. Double check that before you go. You can buy a nice tube at Academy and just pay the float fee wherever you go.

Hit up Cooper's Old Time Pit Barbecue afterwards.
View Quote

Cooler size restriction went away a couple summers ago.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 9:35:33 PM EDT
[#19]
I was just about to start a thread on this - hope you don't mind if I just jump in here. When I've tubed the Comal I've always used Rockin R on Liberty street....they used to offer an all-day float for no extra charge, now it's $5 extra, so I'm looking at options. Is the "longest float on the Comal" from Landa Falls really all that much longer than putting in at Prince Solms Park where most of the outfitters seem to put you in?
Anyone tubed the Comal using your own gear? Is it feasible(and how far, walking distance) to walk back from the "last public exit" through town back to Prince Solms Park where you would presumably park your car? (And, I'm assuming, you could jump right back in the river if you wanted?)

Link Posted: 7/21/2016 11:01:49 PM EDT
[#20]
I tried tubing the the Frio / Medina  around Bandera  4th of july weekend,    Let me explain the need for proper tubes.and swim shoes ...  I volunteered to use the pool float so the women folk had the better ones...

about a minute into the ride the float gave up and I ended swimming / wading / walking the river  .. and left lots of skin behind.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 1:27:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I was just about to start a thread on this - hope you don't mind if I just jump in here. When I've tubed the Comal I've always used Rockin R on Liberty street....they used to offer an all-day float for no extra charge, now it's $5 extra, so I'm looking at options. Is the "longest float on the Comal" from Landa Falls really all that much longer than putting in at Prince Solms Park where most of the outfitters seem to put you in?

Anyone tubed the Comal using your own gear? Is it feasible(and how far, walking distance) to walk back from the "last public exit" through town back to Prince Solms Park where you would presumably park your car? (And, I'm assuming, you could jump right back in the river if you wanted?)

View Quote

The last public exit is about half a mile from Prince Solms. The locals walk.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 4:40:55 PM EDT
[#22]
San Marcos has a public launch and tube rental for all day with shuttle service provided.  It's a short float, about an hour...  but it's nice and chill. You can repeat as many times as desired. We did it a couple weekends ago and the water was great.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 10:29:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

I just tubed from Landa Falls on Saturday and you get maybe an extra 10-15 minute ride.  Highly recommended.  Free parking across from Wurstfest, $20 per tube, and the return shuttle was waiting there empty when we got out.  As others have said, lots of sunscreen, rope/twine, water shoes, etc but I would also recommend a cooler that latches very tight as I saw a few tubes overturn during the chutes.  There are guys with fishing nets to collect any full beers that float down river.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 10:23:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
It has been several years but my advice is to take something to drink non alcoholic. A plastic gallon of water or tea. NO GLASS of any kind. No beer or drinks in glass.
View Quote

first posts fails miserably

hound, you should be fucking ashamed of yourself
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 1:47:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Comal is the easiest to do without help.  Drive to beginning, park, throw tubes and cooler in the river and go.  Get to the public exit or park and uber/cab back to car.  You can buy tubes at buckees for the same price you'll pay for the bus ride.  It's worth noting that this is also the least scenic but most relaxed one.  TONS of people.

Coming from SA, Guadalupe river south of dam.

Coming from Austin, still the Guadalupe or San Marcos for less of a drive.

Guadalupe: Tons off river road south of the dam, google.

San Marcos: TX State tubes or Don's are the two shows in town, really no difference.  Usually do Don's because the get-out isn't as crowded (just a bend down the river from TX State).

Enjoy.

ETA: Did Comal last weekend for the first time, too many fkin people and just houses on the side, but the water was nice.  When school is in session, San Marcos all-day, every-day for the college girls.  Otherwise, Guadalupe.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 10:28:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 10:29:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/6/2016 1:59:58 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm planning to take extended family on a tube trip Sunday.

Any suggestions for my biggest concern, who is an elderly woman (I am trying to minimize her walking and steps...)

BIGGER_HAMMER

Link Posted: 8/6/2016 9:49:02 PM EDT
[#29]
We did the San Marcos from Don's a couple weeks ago.

Wide brimmed hat and sunscreen. Way to attach sunglasses to your head. Anything not tied down or attached that doesn't float will get lost to the bottom of the river.

River shoes that tie/attach to your feet. Rocks are sharp.

No glass or styrofoam. A big mug with a lid is perfect. Pour beer or mixed drink into it from the cooler as needed. Ice cold bloody mary + cold water + 100 degree day = perfect.

Buy a small inflatable boat, and put your cooler in it. My Canyon 55 fits perfect in an Explorer 200 with a little extra room for another small bag with sunscreen, cigars, etc, etc. See pic.

Rope and bungies to tie everything together. A bag that's ok to get wet, that you can tie to the cooler boat.

There's a couple islands/sand bars about half way down that are good for lunch. Take sammich stuff and make sure to bring sammich maker.

Go early, take the shuttle again for a second trip.

Go pro is small and waterproof, does pics and video, and perfect for the river.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top