Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/28/2016 9:45:03 AM EDT
I want to change a flash hider on an upper but don't have a vise, I'll gladly trade a 12 pack of shiner for some help with this.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 4:02:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Wrench alone isn't enough to unscrew it?
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 4:08:54 PM EDT
[#2]
$5 c clamp from lowes. Coffee table. beer coaster.

Put coaster on coffee table, put upper on that, clamp down to table. wrench on the flash hider.

Crude but it works.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 5:38:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
$5 c clamp from lowes. Coffee table. beer coaster.

Put coaster on coffee table, put upper on that, clamp down to table. wrench on the flash hider.

Crude but it works.
View Quote

Tried that, didn't work. It's a surefire suppressor adapter and its on there with rockset. I think it's gonna require a vise.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 6:10:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Googled answer:

1 w/ Soaking the muzzle end in water.

* You can see a white haze coming from the brake/barrel joint. I used boiling water and the brake came off with as much pressure as when it was installed.

btw: I forgot about the water step at first and the brake was on like the the name = RockSet

After some sweat and choice words I remembered a mention to use water. Had one of those growing up wise father told me moments "Smarter not harder". Glad I was alone.
Link Posted: 7/4/2016 3:18:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Oh, rockset... hit it with a bernzomatic for about 20-30 seconds first, twist it right off just like anything else.

I have done this 3x with AAC mounts, and a few times with red Loctite on the set screws of a lo pro gas block. It works.

I have taken them off by wedging the grip between my calves.  It works most times, if not, I use the vice.

Link Posted: 7/4/2016 10:36:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Oh, rockset... hit it with a bernzomatic for about 20-30 seconds first, twist it right off just like anything else.

I have done this 3x with AAC mounts, and a few times with red Loctite on the set screws of a lo pro gas block. It works.

I have taken them off by wedging the grip between my calves.  It works most times, if not, I use the vice.

View Quote

I used to use a vice grip on the barrel. Wrap the barrel in some damp leather, or something else that can grip the barrel and protect it from damage, clamp down on the barrel as tight as you can get it, then take off the muzzle brake with a regular wrench. Very easy.
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 7:32:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Googled answer:

1 w/ Soaking the muzzle end in water.

* You can see a white haze coming from the brake/barrel joint. I used boiling water and the brake came off with as much pressure as when it was installed.

btw: I forgot about the water step at first and the brake was on like the the name = RockSet

After some sweat and choice words I remembered a mention to use water. Had one of those growing up wise father told me moments "Smarter not harder". Glad I was alone.
View Quote

This method worked, thanks for the replies fellas!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top