Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/27/2016 1:22:34 PM EDT
We left Dallas 10 years ago, I graduated HS in Mount Pleasant.  

I don't really want to go back to either.  

I prefer East TX,  thought maybe somewhere around Tyler preferably about 30 miles out, not on a major hwy or interstate?

Recommendations?
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 3:45:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Van, very small town.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 4:15:11 PM EDT
[#2]
There's plenty of rural areas out in east Texas.  I dont have any specific recommendation but all the places in east Texas I've been through/to have been very nice.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 4:26:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I was living in Flint for awhile.

It's quiet. Bullard is good, too, while still being close enough to the city if you have to go there.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 5:46:06 PM EDT
[#4]
How about Palestine area?
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 6:08:06 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

How about Palestine area?

View Quote

As big as Palestine is, it's got a lot of Mexicans and snaggletoothed rednecks
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 8:11:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Is outside Athens, gun barrel city, nacogdoches, or lufkin worth considering (any one over the other?)--ideally we would be 10 miles outside of a town and under 50 miles from a city over 30-50k+
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 8:51:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm in Nacogdoches. For a college town, it's quaint. Appleby is probably the best place to live in Nacogdoches. CSAT is a great range.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 9:53:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm in Nacogdoches. For a college town, it's quaint. Appleby is probably the best place to live in Nacogdoches. CSAT is a great range.
View Quote

Unrelated, but how'd the house hunt and using VA bennies work for you?
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 11:28:47 PM EDT
[#9]
I grew up in Nacogdoches and come back often for family visits. You could do much worse than Nac.
Tyler isn't bad either, but it feels much more crowded than it used to.

The post above about Appleby is correct. If you decide on Nac, look in that area. Stay on the north side of Nac when looking for houses.

Lufkin is ok, but it has more of a big town feel to me.

My brother lives in Ovilla, which is just outside of Waxahachie, and that is an area I would entertain if I had to be close to Dallas.

Link Posted: 6/28/2016 10:43:08 AM EDT
[#10]
We've got family spread all through there between Trinity, Groveton, Grapeland, Palestine, Bullard, etc.

Out of those, I'd say Bullard/Whitehouse comes close to what you're looking for.

Lake Palestine is a decent little lake, not too far from Shreveport for gambling, and not too far from the major cities if you have to pick up something specific.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 11:35:46 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Basically, they're retarded.

Veteran's United: "your wife isn't a salary employee, so you have to wait two years before we can consider you"

Navy Fed: "Oh...your wife just started a new job to continue her professional degree in Speech Pathology in which she has been working as for the past 4 years and now makes a lot more money than her previous employer? Yeah...you'll have to await a year before we can consider you because she has a new, better job.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 11:53:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Veteran's United: "your wife isn't a salary employee, so you have to wait two years before we can consider you"

Navy Fed: "Oh...your wife just started a new job to continue her professional degree in Speech Pathology in which she has been working as for the past 4 years and now makes a lot more money than her previous employer? Yeah...you'll have to await a year before we can consider you because she has a new, better job.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Send me an IM....I ironically might can help
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 7:38:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Budget for a storm/tornado shelter up in the northern parts of TX.  Been a lot of tornado activity up that way. Hail etc.
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 10:29:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
We left Dallas 10 years ago, I graduated HS in Mount Pleasant.  

I don't really want to go back to either.  

I prefer East TX,  thought maybe somewhere around Tyler preferably about 30 miles out, not on a major hwy or interstate?

Recommendations?
View Quote

Wife finally willing?  Don't want to go back?  Stay gone!  Just saying...

Paladin
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top