Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/25/2016 12:40:46 AM EDT
The Hot Rod Power Tour will be going from Baytown to Austin in June.  

What would be a good way to get through Houston on a Monday Morning?  I understand there will probably be a lot of traffic,  just though if some of you guys are local to the area you could tell me, if nothing else, what roads not to use.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 1:11:13 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't think 10 inbound from the east side is that bad. Once you pass through downtown it's clear sailing westward. I'd just drive straight through.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 1:13:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

What would be a good way to get through Houston on a Monday Morning?  I understand there will probably be a lot of traffic,  just though if some of you guys are local to the area you could tell me, if nothing else, what roads not to use.

Thanks!
View Quote

Time of day?
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 9:09:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Time of day?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!

Time of day?

Rif says Monday Morning.  
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 9:18:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Traffic on 146 is horrible from about 565 up to I-10 every morning starting around 5:30 and stays that way up til about 8.  So you might want to take that into account.  In fact, you might want to take 565 over to 99 and take that up to I-10.  

There always seems to be a backup or an accident on I-10 right over around the bridge over the San Jacinto river.  

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 9:21:55 AM EDT
[#5]
I used to make the trip all the time before I moved to Houston - we took 290 to Brenham most of the time, but you could also take 10 over to 71 through Bastrop, following the Colorado River the whole way.

What part of Houston will you be staying in?
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 9:43:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Rif says Monday Morning.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!

Time of day?

Rif says Monday Morning.  

7 am and 10 am are going to be different traffic patterns.  ;)

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 3:42:12 PM EDT
[#7]
I will be staying just off I-10 East of town near the Baytown  airport.  So will be coming into Houston from the East on I-10.

Pretty flexible as far as time.  Usually try to leave around 8:00AM.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 4:35:09 PM EDT
[#8]
If times are flexible I would leave at 6a or wait until 10a. 8 is right in the middle of shit time for Houston traffic.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 4:55:34 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I will be staying just off I-10 East of town near the Baytown  airport.  So will be coming into Houston from the East on I-10.

View Quote
Leave after 8:30 or so in the am and you should be able to be on the  other side of Katy within an hour.  Unless I-10 is blocked due  a wreck, but you should be ok.

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 5:57:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I used to make the trip all the time before I moved to Houston - we took 290 to Brenham most of the time, but you could also take 10 over to 71 through Bastrop, following the Colorado River the whole way.

What part of Houston will you be staying in?
View Quote

As someone who just did 290 to Austin yesterday, the part from Elgin to where the toll road starts = Plus the construction on 290 in Houston is terribad unless you can take (or want to pay for) the HOV lane.

I would take I-10 to TX71 to Austin any day of the week. If I need to get to the north side of the Austin area (Williamson County) I'd still take 10/71 and just head up on 183 or the 130 tollway.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 6:05:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If times are flexible I would leave at 6a or wait until 10a. 8 is right in the middle of shit time for Houston traffic.
View Quote

This.

Early or later but not in the middle of rush hour...

Also, don't go 290 into Austin. -

They changed up Hwy 290 outside of Austin and turned it into a toll road...

How in the HELL do you take an existing Highway, and then turn it into a damn toll road...

BASTARDS!!!

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 6:25:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

So drive north until you hit I-10.  Turn west and drive.  Traffic won't be bad that far east around 8.  Traffic is bad from around 6:30 up to 7:30.  After 8 most people are at work.  You will be leaving from far enough east, so that traffic should clear as you head west.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 11:53:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Thank you my Texas brothers.

I appreciate the information!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top