Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/23/2016 3:26:05 PM EDT
I will post my attempt to talk to Lukes Locker management about their posting of 30.06 and 30.07 signs.  Wall of text, TL:DR, reasons why you consider lifting your 30.06 sign.  Reply: NO we will not.  Read below.

*I am not an internet guru, I have no idea why two of my cut and pastes ended up in boxes and the last one did not.  Nor could I make it post in a different order.  Sorry.

reply to emails 1&2

Good morning:

Thank you for your thoughtful note.

I am sorry you have a problem with our policy on this.

We made this decision in the best interests of our staff and our customers.

If you disagree, we respect that.

At this time, the policy is not something we are to debating.

Thanks,

Matt Lucas

I sent the below email on May 14th.  Maybe it went to junk mail?  Not sure, but                 email #2
I have yet to receive any response.  As a concerned customer, I would have
thought one of you might have thought it was worth a reply.  Hoping to talk
about this.  After all I made the first move, I actually continued to shop in a
place I would have ordinarily walked away from.  Just because I care.  I could
have gotten my daughters shoes for the same price or cheaper anywhere on the
internet.  I chose to shop with y'all in good faith of opening a dialogue.  I
hope we can.

Mr. Lucas,                                                                                     email #1
>
> I was a paying customer in your store today.  I hope to start respectful and
logical conversation with you about something I saw at your Southlake store
today.  I almost did not go in when I saw both 30.06&30.07 signs in your window.  
Please don’t leave the conversation yet.  I would like for this to remain
respectful and intelligent.  Proving I am both a constitutionally aware but
normal average citizen.  I hope we can talk but it may prove to be a bit of a
long email.
>
> I am a licensed to carry citizen in the state of Texas, formerly known as CHL.  
I carry almost everywhere.  I do in fact carry everywhere it is legal.  I would
not call myself a zealot.  I would think most people classify me as normal and
average.  I DO NOT OPEN CARRY.  I respect the rights of those who do while also
respecting others private property.  But concealed carry is a bit of a different
issue.  You would NEVER know I carry.  NOBODY would.  That is how concealed
carry works.  But you have a 30.06 sign, which is optional, in your store that
says I cannot carry in your store.  Normally I walk away.  But my daughter and
wife have shopped in your store several times.  I thought today, this might be
my day to make a difference.  I went into your store and spent over $160 on my
daughters running shoes.  I did it anyway in good faith, even though I disagree
with your signage.  
>
> So here is my plea to you.  Can we talk about potential removal of the 30.06
portion of your signage.  I understand your desire to have no open carry in your
store.  I respect that.  But concealed carry really doesn’t have an effect on
you or your employees.  I would like to explain and demonstrate why, in
intelligent fashion.  
>
> What do you KNOW IMMEDIATELY about a CHL or LTC in the state of Texas.  
http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/GV/htm/GV.411.htm#411.171
> Some of the highlights in this statute..You know I am not a felon, nor have I
been convicted of a class A or B misdemeanor in the past 5 years.  You know I am
not chemically dependant.  I am not a fugitive from justice.  I am at least 21
years of age.  I am not delinquent in any tax payments or child support.  And
that I am a legal resident of this state.  I had to sit through a gun training
class to get my CHL.  And lastly you know that I am already in the fingerprint
database.   Do you know this many GOOD things about your average customer?
>
> What you also know, is having had this good record already, and having jumped
through the hoops of having to be trained and procure a License to Carry, I am
in no hurry break any laws revoking my License or jeopardizing my good name.  
These facts make a very compelling case to me for allowing model citizens, as it
were, to legally exercise a constitutional right.  It is possible, legally, to
place a 30.07 "open carry forbidden” sign in your window and not have the sign
that forbids concealed carry(30.06).  
>
> I would also like to offer you the opportunity to look up conviction rates of
those with the LTC in Texas.  http://dps.texas.gov/rsd/chl/reports/convrates.htm
> I would also ask you to pay close attention to the conviction rate of CHL
holders in the state of Texas.  Out of all convictions, in Texas, note the
latest data proves a 0.2341% rate of CHL holders.  That is an astounding
statistic, again do you know this much about your other customer who come in?  
Please note there are now over 1 million LTC’s in the state and Tarrant county
has the 2nd highest number of licenses, by county, in the state.  This is a
significant customer base.  My guess is not all of them are as active as I am
about my Constitutional rights, but we are a growing class.  We are becoming
larger daily, and we represent significant buying power.  
>
> A little more about that last part, buying power.  I am sort of an average
guy.  But, I plan ahead.  My wife and I are stable.  I have been in the same job
almost 25 years.  My wife has also been gainfully employed that same amount of
time.  In this time, we have paid off our entire mortgage, all of our vehicles,
and maintain zero credit card debt.  We will be paying for college for our kids.  
The rest of our income is discretionary, cost of living, and retirement.  We
have buying power.  In good faith, in hopes that you would be kind enough to
read this long email, I patronized your store today, even though I disagree with
your 30.06 sign(I did return my concealed carry piece to my vehicle and locked
it up, another concern we address in more detail—it’s now in a locked car
instead of on me—much less safe).  So in good faith I ask you, would you be
willing to reconsider just the 30.06 or concealed carry portion of your signage?  
It would go a long way in maintaining our patronage of your establishment.  
>
> I truly hope to establish a dialogue on this subject.  An intelligent two way
dialogue that allows us both to learn from each other.  I respect your right to
your feelings.  I hope you will have respect and concern my rights also. I have
many friends who while not vocal feel just as strongly as I do. Please let’s
talk.  I do hope you will reply and take my request thoughtfully.  

Link Posted: 5/23/2016 3:41:46 PM EDT
[#1]

Well ok. I am sorry you feel this way. I am off to my local gun forum.  I will                     Email #3
let everybody there know how you feel and how I respectfully tried to change
your mind.  I will also lobby for everyone there to buy their shoes and apparel
someplace else.  I will never patronize your store again or until the 30.06 sign
comes down.  We all have choices.  You have offended a major segment of the
Tarrant county population.  I have no idea if you will ever see a difference or
not.  But if it is possible I will try fervently to make a difference in your
bottom line.  You have a choice to make and so do the citizens who exercise
their CONSTITUTIONAL rights.  

You seem to have made a choice in that you will take your chances with possible
felons and at the very least unvetted citizens over law abiding, caring, and
concerned citizens.  I have attempted in good faith.  I will now disclose to
everybody your choice.  

Have a nice day,
Your former customer,
Lug1
----  wrote:
>  
> Reply to email 3
> Lug1:
>
> Thank you for your input and your information.
>
> I did read your e-mail.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Matt Lucas

Link Posted: 5/23/2016 3:42:04 PM EDT
[#2]
You can't reason with libtards who soil their panties in fright at the thought of citizens not being dependent on LE for their safety.

The answer is to get all the signs abolished.  No 30.06, no 30.07, no 51%.  If they want open carry people to leave they should have to ask them to leave.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 4:29:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 5:17:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You can't reason with libtards who soil their panties in fright at the thought of citizens not being dependent on LE for their safety.

The answer is to get all the signs abolished.  No 30.06, no 30.07, no 51%.  If they want open carry people to leave they should have to ask them to leave.
View Quote

I agree but I don't think it will ever happen.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 5:28:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's not how we do it in Texas!
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 5:50:12 PM EDT
[#6]
The 30.06 and 30.07 system sucks. If anything, it encourages businesses to post signs because of the advertisement of the signs.

I've lived in several states and have never seen as many "no carry" signs as I've seen in Texas. The only signs I saw in Kansas City were on shopping malls. Legally, you can ignore the signs because they do not hold up. The property can ask you to leave.

From what I understand, in Texas signs hold legal weight and you cannot carry any place with legal posted signs...

People think Texas is supposed to be super gun friendly, but in reality there are many other states with better gun laws.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 7:28:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The 30.06 and 30.07 system sucks. If anything, it encourages businesses to post signs because of the advertisement of the signs.

I've lived in several states and have never seen as many "no carry" signs as I've seen in Texas. The only signs I saw in Kansas City were on shopping malls. Legally, you can ignore the signs because they do not hold up. The property can ask you to leave.

From what I understand, in Texas signs hold legal weight and you cannot carry any place with legal posted signs...

People think Texas is supposed to be super gun friendly, but in reality there are many other states with better gun laws.
View Quote

Same way in Arizona, after Arizona got rid of Butch Napalito, Arizona passed the restaurant bill so you can carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol, even before the bill was passed it was a small fine.

I find a lot more thing offensive in a restaurant or store than someone open carrying a handgun, like the FSA's crotch fruit screaming and running around like they are crazy.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 8:49:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I find a lot more thing offensive in a restaurant or store than someone open carrying a handgun, like the FSA's crotch fruit screaming and running around like they are crazy.
View Quote

Crotch fruit?  I like it!  Never heard that one before. I have been in and out of running for several years now and have accepted that it's somewhat of lefty trending lifestyle although I know many conservatives that run if that makes any sense. You'd think self defense would be a little more of a thing after all of the Katy Trail assaults and the guy that was fatally stabbed while running in Dallas. So being that I am just getting back to running I bought a new pair of shoes at RunOn I feel pretty good about myself because Mrs Jester gets a discount at LL which is where I have bought in the past. Don't recall their Plano or Allen stores having a 30.06 before.

On a humorous note, my local RunOn is in a small portion of a shopping center and ironically all of the parking spots in front of it are HC. I laugh about that and mention it to the store staff every time I go there.

Jester
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 9:50:10 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Crotch fruit?  I like it!  Never heard that one before. I have been in and out of running for several years now and have accepted that it's somewhat of lefty trending lifestyle although I know many conservatives that run if that makes any sense. You'd think self defense would be a little more of a thing after all of the Katy Trail assaults and the guy that was fatally stabbed while running in Dallas. So being that I am just getting back to running I bought a new pair of shoes at RunOn I feel pretty good about myself because Mrs Jester gets a discount at LL which is where I have bought in the past. Don't recall their Plano or Allen stores having a 30.06 before.

On a humorous note, my local RunOn is in a small portion of a shopping center and ironically all of the parking spots in front of it are HC. I laugh about that and mention it to the store staff every time I go there.

Jester
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Jester
Southlake is not marked on the door.  It is a couple windows over.  Sign in the window down low.  Not sure it is a fully legal sign.  None the less it is there, I am not one to push in that manner.  I know their intent.  

I will never shop there again.  Humor me?  Debate me?  Tell me why you are a libtard and that reasons etc.  I tell you I spent money with you in good faith against my better judgement and you say too bad, buh bye?  I am on a mission to inform everybody I can.  I hope their sales suffer.  Not likely.  I hope his inbox gets bombarded, who knows maybe?

I expected they were libtards.  Verified!  
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 10:55:44 PM EDT
[#10]
I've bought 2 nice and expensive pairs of shoes there. I will not again due to the 30.06 sign.

If possible I'd return the shoes.

I'll email them tomorrow and hope others will as well.

Doubt it changes but it's capitalism so we and they can do what we like.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 12:41:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Keep Austin Weird Huh? it used to be a decent place to live.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 2:04:42 PM EDT
[#12]
I sent an email and hope others send a respectful one as well.

On a similar note - I noticed a couple of months ago that the LA Fitness where I work out has 30.06 and 30.07 signs now. I've never carried there but was thinking about it. I don't recall seeing any signs previously. My point is it seems that now with the 30.07 requirement to prevent open carry it's brought to light the 30.06 sign requirement.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 2:29:25 PM EDT
[#13]
I noticed my la fitness in houston has signs as well, though they are big see-through window decals and not the red or blue ones. I don't carry in the gym anyways, too much sweat, motion, and I would have to carry in a gym bag, which seems pretty unsecured.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 2:49:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It i will happen if we want it to happen. Now is a better time than ever. The abuse of the signs by govt is one of the best reasons. The fact that almost no other state uses a similar system is another. I would like to see getting rid of 30.06/07, 51%, and 46.035 as a priority. If a retired NYC cop can carry there under LEOSA, I LTC Texas resident should be able to also.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 3:03:39 PM EDT
[#15]
I was looking for for new running shoes last week and thought I would try a few local stores out. I saw their sign and regretted getting out of my jeep. I just left and went up the road to Dick's instead.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 9:48:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Keep Austin Weird Huh? it used to be a decent place to live.
View Quote

The one the OP dealt with is in Southlake.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 11:16:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Looks like many of their stores are posted.

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 11:32:45 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j326/reubjames/lukes.jpg
View Quote
Yea it's a company policy.  I would venture to guess every store is posted.  As to whether or not the signs are legal, I am not sure that the one I saw was.  None the less, it is posted and that is good enough for me.  

They decision to not even discuss it when presented with facts is good enough for me.  I will never darken their doors again.  I am on a mission to inform everybody I know with a LTC about their policy.

*it is also my dream that every LTC would make their feelings known(assuming they have some on the issue) to the management of Lukes Locker.  We are discriminated against, in favor of liberals fears.  A minority group so far here in Texas.    But it's for the chilrun's.

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 9:03:24 PM EDT
[#19]
I hope one day they make it a crime to post a 30.06 sign.  It should be guaranteed carry, anytime, anyplace.  You don't have the right to know what's on my person.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 3:19:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j326/reubjames/lukes.jpg
View Quote

I have purchased hundreds of dollars worth of shoes over the years from Luke's in Plano off Legacy - and I'm due for a new pair.  Guess I'll have to swing by, take a pic of their sign and send it in an email along with their competitors receipt for my next purchase...   Honestly though, That location's sales staff have been declining in expertise the last few years so I've been looking for a replacement store.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 3:29:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Southlake is not marked on the door.  It is a couple windows over.  Sign in the window down low.  Not sure it is a fully legal sign.  None the less it is there, I am not one to push in that manner.  I know their intent.    

I will never shop there again.  Humor me?  Debate me?  Tell me why you are a libtard and that reasons etc.  I tell you I spent money with you in good faith against my better judgement and you say too bad, buh bye?  I am on a mission to inform everybody I can.  I hope their sales suffer.  Not likely.  I hope his inbox gets bombarded, who knows maybe?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jester

Using the word libtard taints your argument from the very beginning.  How long did you wait to hear about a response?  What email address did you use to contact them with?  Tried via Facebook or Twitter?  Have you called them on the phone and reached a live person versus just emailing and hoping for a response?

When you say you are on a "mission to inform everybody I can"  What methods are you using besides forums?
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 7:33:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Hmm, maybe I'll write to the HV store. Op, have you tried RunOn?
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 8:05:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I hope one day they make it a crime to post a 30.06 sign.  It should be guaranteed carry, anytime, anyplace.  You don't have the right to know what's on my person.
View Quote

On my property, I sure as hell do.
My property, my rules. Don't like them, go elsewhere.

Movie theatres don't allow you to bring in snacks/candy/food/beverages bought elsewhere.
Bars don't let you bring in your own beer or liquor.

You worry so much about YOUR rights, but are quite happy to trod on the rights of others.

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 10:14:47 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Using the word libtard taints your argument from the very beginning.  How long did you wait to hear about a response?  What email address did you use to contact them with?  Tried via Facebook or Twitter?  Have you called them on the phone and reached a live person versus just emailing and hoping for a response?
When you say you are on a "mission to inform everybody I can"  What methods are you using besides forums?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jester

I used the word libtard in the Texas hometown forum only.  If this is not a safe space or I have triggered you please let me know.  Libtard was used in this case very lightheartedly, in a place I consider to mostly of friends, known or unknown.  

I used Matt Lucas's company email given to me by an employee.

I waited 8 and 1/3 days before resending my original email.  To which I got a reply within 2 hours, the second time.

I do not have facebook or twitter, feel free if you do.

I have not called as I was told in the store when I briefly asked(the back forth was all for 45 seconds long) who made that decision and who should I talk to about it.  I was TOLD to use the email I used.

Maybe I should have worded my description better.  My mission is to inform everybody in hometown Texas and every friend I have that has an LTC.  My method has included email and word of mouth.  I did not tell GD, I did not write everyone in my contact list, I have only informed people who have an LTC or strong gun rights owners.  The others I know that wouldn't care, why waste their time or mine?

Make your own choices do as you wish.  I am not telling you or anybody what to do.  I have a wish, to make them feel it at their bottom line.  I have a mission, that is to inform people to make their own decisions.  Those people who think might be interested.  I do not waste others time if they are not interested in the cause.  People have a choice to click on this thread and to finish reading it once clicked.  

Are these explanations satisfactory?

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 10:28:38 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View Quote
I have not.  I have limited knowledge on these types of stores, geared toward runners.  I will be looking at options the next time my daughter needs shoes.  

I will check them out.  
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 11:02:35 AM EDT
[#26]
Won't spend my money there thanks to this thread. Use to get my running shoes there all the time. I may go in and try something on then buy it online though. Have never done that in the past.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 11:29:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thanks for the suggestion, Google map view shows no signage on doors and it looks like they're in my neck of the woods to boot!   Watched their video and it reminded me of what Lukes' USED to be.   I'm going to see if I can't drop by later today...
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 12:56:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I used the word libtard in the Texas hometown forum only.  If this is not a safe space or I have triggered you please let me know.  Libtard was used in this case very lightheartedly, in a place I consider to mostly of friends, known or unknown.  

I waited 8 and 1/3 days before resending my original email.  To which I got a reply within 2 hours, the second time.

I have not called as I was told in the store when I briefly asked(the back forth was all for 45 seconds long) who made that decision and who should I talk to about it.  I was TOLD to use the email I used.

Maybe I should have worded my description better.  My mission is to inform everybody in hometown Texas and every friend I have that has an LTC.  My method has included email and word of mouth.  I did not tell GD, I did not write everyone in my contact list, I have only informed people who have an LTC or strong gun rights owners.  The others I know that wouldn't care, why waste their time or mine?

Make your own choices do as you wish.  I am not telling you or anybody what to do.  I have a wish, to make them feel it at their bottom line.  I have a mission, that is to inform people to make their own decisions.  Those people who think might be interested.  I do not waste others time if they are not interested in the cause.  People have a choice to click on this thread and to finish reading it once clicked.  

View Quote

Your explanations just paint the picture of the methods you used.  And as someone that has worked in the media and PR for more than 20 years, your methods are severely lacking.  

What is the 5-15-50 meter impact of you spreading the message via word of mouth and email?  Is there a lasting impact?  How many additional people that previously shopped there will now take their business elsewhere?  This needs to be tracked over a longer period of time, check back with those same people around peak sales periods such as back to school and Christmas.

Do not have Facebook or Twitter?  Yes, I understand that many people shun social media because they see how some others use it and think it is a waste of time or more so do not fully understand it.  Not having either will cripple your movement before it even takes off.

You said you have not called because you were told by the store to use the email.  They framed you into a box to control your message.  Do not stop with email.  Call them up, show up at their corporate offices.  Is Luke’s a public company?  Who are the major share holders?  Contact them.  But you will need solid numbers of potential sales fall off, such as amount previously spent at the stores that will not be spent elsewhere.  This needs to be broken down into 4 quadrants (Male, Female, +/- 25yrs old).

If you are truly outraged by the actions of Luke’s Locker, you might want to rethink your campaign else it will fall into the realm of someone ranting and soon ignored when the next big outrage, Chewbacca mask, Dindu shot, etc, occupies people’s minds.

Link Posted: 5/29/2016 1:20:53 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Your explanations just paint the picture of the methods you used.  And as someone that has worked in the media and PR for more than 20 years, your methods are severely lacking.  
What is the 5-15-50 meter impact of you spreading the message via word of mouth and email?  Is there a lasting impact?  How many additional people that previously shopped there will now take their business elsewhere?  This needs to be tracked over a longer period of time, check back with those same people around peak sales periods such as back to school and Christmas.
Do not have Facebook or Twitter?  Yes, I understand that many people shun social media because they see how some others use it and think it is a waste of time or more so do not fully understand it.  Not having either will cripple your movement before it even takes off.
You said you have not called because you were told by the store to use the email.  They framed you into a box to control your message.  Do not stop with email.  Call them up, show up at their corporate offices.  Is Luke’s a public company?  Who are the major share holders?  Contact them.  But you will need solid numbers of potential sales fall off, such as amount previously spent at the stores that will not be spent elsewhere.  This needs to be broken down into 4 quadrants (Male, Female, +/- 25yrs old).
If you are truly outraged by the actions of Luke’s Locker, you might want to rethink your campaign else it will fall into the realm of someone ranting and soon ignored when the next big outrage, Chewbacca mask, Dindu shot, etc, occupies people’s minds.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you for your advice.  I have no plans go beyond what I have done.  It is that simple.  My outrage is mine.  I have not TOLD a soul what to do.  I have provided information within a community of similar thinking(i think) as to a business that doesn't play well with us.  To each their own.  My perfect world is their bottom would be effected.  I am not the agent of change you think I am wanting to be.  I am a guy on gun forum telling people what happened and what I did.  It will play out how it does.  

Since you have presented all these options, I feel that if you are so inclined, please follow up with these options.  I have done what I set out do.  I think it was a decent job.  I sent a well thought out email to the CEO of the business who acknowledged he read it.  He also knows exactly what I have done.  

I am not PR or Media.  I fight fires.  I have reached, quite possibly, my peak on this issue.  But you, now you sound like a guy who could really run with this.  So if it means that much to you, do it.  I for one am content with the awareness I have raised at this point.  This is the difference between a fireman and media expert.  I am content if, after directing me to all these different angles I don't comprehend, you do nothing.  But I can assure you I have done what I feel led to do.  I sleep well with the job I have done.

Again, thanks for the pointers.

*Luke's is privately owned.

Link Posted: 5/29/2016 7:24:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Movie theatres don't allow you to bring in snacks/candy/food/beverages bought elsewhere.

You worry so much about YOUR rights, but are quite happy to trod on the rights of others.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have a right to kick anyone off your property that you desire. However, most other states don't have this stupid sign laws.

In WA state (which I travel frequently for work) there are no anti-gun signs that legally forbid you from entering a place you are allow to carry a gun with a CPL (the WA version of CHL). If you are found out (which means you were not concealing properly, popo on you) and are asked to leave, then you must obey. In that state, concealed means concealed.

It is also easier for a non-resident to get a CPL in WA than for a Texas resident to get an LTC. All you need to do is walk into a sheriff's office, fill out a 1 page form, get your fingerprints taken and pay $65. You get your CPL in 60 days or less (I've heard in small counties it can be a week).

I'm shocked that in "Come and take it" Texas, when have such a stupid gun laws.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 4:30:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

I am sorry, but that is asinine.  You can stop a libtard from holding a sign for Hillary on your property.  Why?  Because it is YOUR property.  Hold the phones, I figure that the old "private property" argument is about rear its ugly green head.  Some might say that the difference is that one is your property, and their store is open to the public.  Truth of the matter is that both their store and your front yard are BOTH public places, as the Texas Penal Code section 1.07(a)(40) considers a public place to be "any place to which the public or
a substantial group of the public has access."  This is why people can be arrested in their front yard for Public Intoxication, but not in their back yard.  Any member of the public has access to the front yard so that they can knock on the front door, therefore, it is a public place as well.

Now, if you can keep people from carrying particular items on your property, why can't the businesses as well?

The Second Amendment is directed at the Federal Government, and generally extends to the individual state and local governments by virtue of the 14th Amendment.  It does not extend down to the personal level (in terms of saying firearms are not allowed on private property).

Link Posted: 5/30/2016 5:41:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I am sorry, but that is asinine.  You can stop a libtard from holding a sign for Hillary on your property.  Why?  Because it is YOUR property.  Hold the phones, I figure that the old "private property" argument is about rear its ugly green head.  Some might say that the difference is that one is your property, and their store is open to the public.  Truth of the matter is that both their store and your front yard are BOTH public places, as the Texas Penal Code section 1.07(a)(40) considers a public place to be "any place to which the public or
a substantial group of the public has access."  This is why people can be arrested in their front yard for Public Intoxication, but not in their back yard.  Any member of the public has access to the front yard so that they can knock on the front door, therefore, it is a public place as well.

Now, if you can keep people from carrying particular items on your property, why can't the businesses as well?

The Second Amendment is directed at the Federal Government, and generally extends to the individual state and local governments by virtue of the 14th Amendment.  It does not extend down to the personal level (in terms of saying firearms are not allowed on private property).

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The state of Texas does not need to make putting up 30.06/30.07 signs illegal, the state just needs to make those that want to post such signs expensive and painful. We those of us that have LTC permits went through classes, paid good money (Texas has one of the most expensive permits for all the shall issue states). Why not the same for businesses that want to put up 30.06/30.97 signs. How about a yearly permit for such signs, classes for owners and managers to have to go to, requiring that the business owners be fully responsible for customers safety while in such stores, even if it means hiring off duty LEO 's to protect the customer.

Businesses are required by law to make sure the place of business to be safe requiring fire sprinklers, that floors be clean and in good repair, emergency exits clearly marked and working.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 6:05:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

The state of Texas does not need to make putting up 30.06/30.07 signs, the state just needs to make those that want to post such signs expensive and painful. We those of us that have LTC permits went through classes, paid good money (Texas has one of the most expensive permits for all the shall issue states). Why not the same for businesses that want to put up 30.06/30.97 signs. How about a yearly permit for such signs, classes for owners and managers to have to go to, requiring that the business owners be fully responsible for customers safety while in such stores, even if it means hiring off duty LEO 's to protect the customer.

Businesses are required by law to make sure the place of business to be safe requiring fire sprinklers, that floors be clean and in good repair, emergency exits clearly naked and working.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The state of Texas does not need to make putting up 30.06/30.07 signs, the state just needs to make those that want to post such signs expensive and painful. We those of us that have LTC permits went through classes, paid good money (Texas has one of the most expensive permits for all the shall issue states). Why not the same for businesses that want to put up 30.06/30.97 signs. How about a yearly permit for such signs, classes for owners and managers to have to go to, requiring that the business owners be fully responsible for customers safety while in such stores, even if it means hiring off duty LEO 's to protect the customer.

Businesses are required by law to make sure the place of business to be safe requiring fire sprinklers, that floors be clean and in good repair, emergency exits clearly naked and working.

I could agree to this line of thinking if the same requirements are imposed on anyone, even homeowners, who wanted to post a No Trespassing sign on their property.  That, in essence, is what the 30.06 and 30.07 signs are, as the associated offences for violating the warning imparted by the signs are "Trespass By License Holder With A Concealed Handgun" and "Trespass By License Holder With An Openly Carried Handgun."   Just an FYI, 30.05 is "Criminal Trespass."  

The fact of the matter here is that many people are upset because they feel ENTITLED to do what they want on the personal property of another.  Trying to force them, whether through legislation or prohibitively expensive fees, to do something that they do not want to do is no different than what we bitch about when it comes to the treatment of gun owners in liberal states, or at the hands of the Federal Government when it comes to things like the NFA and transfer taxes.  Two wrongs do not make a right.  So they don't want you to carry on their property.  BFD, their loss of your business.  Just go to a store that is gun friendly.  Buffalo Wild Wings does not allow firearm on their property, though, at least in my town, they do not post 30.06 or 30.07 signs.  Being a LEO, they can not stop me from carrying open or concealed.  They have done it in other states, and due to THEIR policy on THEIR property, I take my business elsewhere.

I will close this post wth the following thought:  how is forcing a business (through fees or legislation), which has the right to refuse service for any reason, any different than the Redcoats forcing homeowners to quarter troops in the personal residence of the property owners?  Both infringe on the personal rights of the property owner.  We are Americans and Texans.  We are better than that.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 6:39:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I could agree to this line of thinking if the same requirements are imposed on anyone, even homeowners, who wanted to post a No Trespassing sign on their property.  That, in essence, is what the 30.06 and 30.07 signs are, as the associated offences for violating the warning imparted by the signs are "Trespass By License Holder With A Concealed Handgun" and "Trespass By License Holder With An Openly Carried Handgun."   Just an FYI, 30.05 is "Criminal Trespass."  

The fact of the matter here is that many people are upset because they feel ENTITLED to do what they want on the personal property of another.  Trying to force them, whether through legislation or prohibitively expensive fees, to do something that they do not want to do is no different than what we bitch about when it comes to the treatment of gun owners in liberal states, or at the hands of the Federal Government when it comes to things like the NFA and transfer taxes.  Two wrongs do not make a right.  So they don't want you to carry on their property.  BFD, their loss of your business.  Just go to a store that is gun friendly.  Buffalo Wild Wings does not allow firearm on their property, though, at least in my town, they do not post 30.06 or 30.07 signs.  Being a LEO, they can not stop me from carrying open or concealed.  They have done it in other states, and due to THEIR policy on THEIR property, I take my business elsewhere.

I will close this post wth the following thought:  how is forcing a business (through fees or legislation), which has the right to refuse service for any reason, any different than the Redcoats forcing homeowners to quarter troops in the personal residence of the property owners?  Both infringe on the personal rights of the property owner.  We are Americans and Texans.  We are better than that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Main thing it takes is businesses open to the public to have the same responsibility for their customer's safety as fire sprinkler and marked working exits. There has been very few issues with citizens that have a LTC.

One other thing to understand is businesses that have locations outside of Texas don't have a problem with concealed or open carry. It is Texas only businesses pushed by the Texas restaurant association and the Texas convences store association. Even major grocery stores from outside of Texas don't put up 30.07/30.06 signs, none at Randall's, WalMart, Krogers etc. Other than Sprouts, the only stores with 30.07/30.06 signs are Texas based HEB and Whole Foods.

Add in that when you need to keep your gun in your car when you go in a place of business with 30.06/30.07 signs you open up a very good chance of your gun being stolen. Just this weekend a FBI agent had his gun and badge stolen from his car when he went into a store for 15 minutes. Just what we need another stolen gun in criminal's hands.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 6:43:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The state of Texas does not need to make putting up 30.06/30.07 signs illegal, the state just needs to make those that want to post such signs expensive and painful.
Yaaay!!!!!! MORE laws!!! Yes, we need more laws.
Good grief.

We those of us that have LTC permits went through classes, paid good money (Texas has one of the most expensive permits for all the shall issue states). Why not the same for businesses that want to put up 30.06/30.97 signs.
Why not?
Because it's private property. Unless it violates a civil right (as defined in the Federal Civil Rights Act) a private business has every right to deny service to anyone it pleases.....ie "No shirt, no shoes, no service".

Don't like it? Just go buy your sammich or shoes somewhere else.

How about a yearly permit for such signs, classes for owners and managers to have to go to, requiring that the business owners be fully responsible for customers safety while in such stores, even if it means hiring off duty LEO 's to protect the customer.
Why not just shop somewhere else?

Businesses are required by law to make sure the place of business to be safe requiring fire sprinklers, that floors be clean and in good repair, emergency exits clearly marked and working.
Equating building codes or health codes with 30.06/30.07 is silly.

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/30/2016 6:52:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Main thing it takes is businesses open to the public to have the same responsibility for their customer's safety as fire sprinkler and marked working exits. There has been very few issues with citizens that have a LTC.
Nonsense....no law requires a business to provide for the protection of it's customers from the willful acts of criminals.
If such a law were passed you might not like how the business would implement such a requirement. You assume it would mean no 30.06/30.07 signage........more likely it would mean a $10 an hour armed security guard.

One other thing to understand is businesses that have locations outside of Texas don't have a problem with concealed or open carry. It is Texas only businesses pushed by the Texas restaurant association and the Texas convences store association. Even major grocery stores from outside of Texas don't put up 30.07/30.06 signs, none at Randall's, WalMart, Krogers etc. Other than Sprouts, the only stores with 30.07/30.06 signs are Texas based HEB and Whole Foods.
Maybe you should ask your elected governor, lt governor and state legislators about their supposed love of the Second Amendment. (Abbott, Patrick and the other phonies that only espouse their support for gun rights until actually in office....then they pretend to forget).
A little more backbone and a little less filling of their pockets from antigun groups like those business groups.

View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top