Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/20/2016 4:06:12 PM EDT
Just moved to the area and am getting ready to register my car in TX, and get my DL.

Which DPS and county clerk office would you recommend going to in order to avoid long lines?

I read about the super center in Ft Worth where you can have them text you when they are ready. Does this system work well?
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 4:13:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I always use northeast tarrant court house on hwy 26.  Has worked ok. Usually not a long line.  You might wait 10 minutes, sometimes?
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 4:39:48 PM EDT
[#2]
In regards to the DMV - Regardless of where you go there can be a wait. The best way to beat these waits.....show up at opening. There will always be a line of some sort at opening but it's the fastest time to get through the lines.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 5:58:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In regards to the DMV - Regardless of where you go there can be a wait. The best way to beat these waits.....show up at opening. There will always be a line of some sort at opening but it's the fastest time to get through the lines.
View Quote

How long is the line at opening? I don't mind waiting 30 minutes, but I've heard of some people waiting hours.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 1:54:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Depends on where you live.  I have gone to the NW sub-courthouse on 199 and been in-and-out in 20-30, same thing with the SW location close to Granbury Road & Hulen.  I hear the Arlington one is a nightmare...
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 12:33:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

How long is the line at opening? I don't mind waiting 30 minutes, but I've heard of some people waiting hours.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you show up at opening, you shouldn't have to wait longer than 30 minutes. When I was getting my CDL one morning there were 10 or so people in line and another there was 25ish. Neither trip did I wait longer than 30 minutes. Just make sure you have ALL the paperwork the state wants. I saw more people show up and try to get a license after moving from out of state, only to be turned away because they were missing one document. Obviously they had to leave and return and start the wait over again.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 1:56:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Just moved to the area and am getting ready to register my car in TX, and get my DL.

Which DPS and county clerk office would you recommend going to in order to avoid long lines?

I read about the super center in Ft Worth where you can have them text you when they are ready. Does this system work well?
View Quote

It's a pain to have to go to a location for tags and a location for a DL. As mentioned, have everything for a DL.

I'll post back about the North Richland Hills or downtown location depending on where I go for my tags. The office in Southlake seems like a smaller location with less traffic.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 7:48:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Dont forget you'll have to get the vehicles inspected before registering them ask for the "greensheet".  This is just a VIN verification and costs an extra $1. and inspection place can do this.  as for which tax office for the new license plates and titles, I like downtown ft worth, as there is never a crown when I've been there.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 1:19:40 PM EDT
[#8]
I recommend going to the downtown Fort Worth location. I've been there 2-3 times and there was never a crowd when I went.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 5:28:11 PM EDT
[#9]
I just got my license after moving last week.  

Get in line online, and it'll go pretty quick.  I think I was there for about 20-30 minutes at most?
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 7:06:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I just got my license after moving last week.  

Get in line online, and it'll go pretty quick.  I think I was there for about 20-30 minutes at most?
View Quote

Thanks. The form they mention online that has your basic info, did you have to fill that out? I've never had to fill out a form for getting a DL in any state.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 10:23:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I recommend going to the downtown Fort Worth location. I've been there 2-3 times and there was never a crowd when I went.
View Quote

In and out today in ten minutes. I recommend the location.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 4:29:24 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Dont forget you'll have to get the vehicles inspected before registering them ask for the "greensheet".  This is just a VIN verification and costs an extra $1. and inspection place can do this.  as for which tax office for the new license plates and titles, I like downtown ft worth, as there is never a crown when I've been there.
View Quote
I've gone there a couple times. About a 10-15 minute wait both times. Parking can be a bitch though.

Link Posted: 5/30/2016 8:05:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

I got my car inspected today and will register it tomorrow. However, I did not get a little windshield sticker. Is the inspection station supposed to give me the sticker, or does the license plate office distribute those?
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 8:24:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I got my car inspected today and will register it tomorrow. However, I did not get a little windshield sticker. Is the inspection station supposed to give me the sticker, or does the license plate office distribute those?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

One sticker only, given at the tax office. Inspection must be done within 90 days prior to registration, or renewal of registration.  Make sure you take the vin verification when you title at the tax office.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 9:56:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They did away with inspection stickers a little over a year ago. Now we only have the registration window sticker which you get at the tax (license plate) office.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 10:43:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Registered my car today at the tax office in Arlington. I got there at 8am and there was already a line waiting. I was out the door by 8:30. Decent service. Now on to the DPS office for a license.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top