Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/20/2016 11:58:47 AM EDT
Hey folks, I dont know ho many o you folks live in Tarrant County, but for those that do, I strongly urge you vote to vote for Bill Waybourn.

If it wasnt for the publicity Dallas PD gets, Tarrant County Sheriffs Office might be the most dysfunctional law enforcement agency in North Texas.  The way TCSO is currently run shows a lack of  overall leadership from the current sheriff.  You have deputies that are encouraged NOT to pull people over for fear of the sheriff looking bad in someone's eyes.  Deputies are almost encouraged by command to park somewhere in their cruisers, instead of doing much patrol work.  There is a no pursuit policy in place, and it is extremely tight, to the point that even violent felonies aren't pursuit worthy.  They are not even allowed to make stops in any incorporated city in Tarrant County.  Sure, deputies have a job to do, but they are literally petrified to do it, fearing that they will incur the wraith of the current Sheriff and his command staff lackeys.  This has caused a deep morale problem within the organization that seems to continue to fester.  

Equipment is another issue.  TCSO is not allowed to carry a carbine, only a shotgun.  Only 4 rounds can be carried for the shotgun, because that is all they qualify with yearly (note: security guards fire more rounds for qualifications).  If caught on a "routine inspection" carrying more than allowed, the deputy can be subject to discipline.  Deputies can also NOT carry more than the allotted amount of magazines for their service pistol.  Again, getting caught with more is a departmental infraction.  The current Sheriff refuses to purchase tasers, and the training to use them because the apparently batons are still the kinder, gentler means of gaining compliance.

If I didnt mention this was Tarrant County, you might think it was Dallas County.

On the other hand the cat running against him, Bill Waybourn, would free deputies to patrol Tarrant County.  To help out citizens of the county, whether they live in a city or not.  While the pursuit policy wont be wide open, it wont be restrictive to the point where the bad guys can just drive away.  He will let his deputies pull over people for breaking the law.  He will modernize the department's equipment, and offer the deputes more leeway in their choices of equipment.  He will sign off on C3 stuff because he doesnt believe a citizen needs to show a need, only a want and desire to on the.  So vote for Bill Waybourn.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 12:11:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
There is a no pursuit policy in place, and it is extremely tight, to the point that even violent felonies aren't pursuit worthy.
View Quote

Contradictory. If there is no pursuit policy, then it can't be " extremely tight, to the point that even violent felonies aren't pursuit worthy."

Quoted:
The current Sheriff is also not Class 3 friendly.  While he runs as a republican, he will NOT sign off on any C3 guns.
View Quote

I am FFL and Anderson has been signing NFA forms for my customers since he was elected.

Quoted:
On the other hand the cat running against him, Bill Waybourn, would free deputies to patrol Tarrant County ... He will sign off on C3 stuff because he doesnt believe a citizen needs to show a need, only a want and desire to on the. So vote for Bill Waybourn.
View Quote

No. He will NEVER sign off on NFA.

Is the rest of your post as inaccurate as these claims?
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 12:39:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Please answer OP?  Tell us more about NFA and class 3?

Link Posted: 5/20/2016 12:41:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 1:06:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Contradictory. If there is no pursuit policy, then it can't be " extremely tight, to the point that even violent felonies aren't pursuit worthy."

When I say "no pursuit policy in place", I mean for non-violent offenses, which is fine.  However the deputes are often told not to pursue anyone, including violent or felonious offenders.  The no pursuit policy is often cited by the higher ups.

I am FFL and Anderson has been signing NFA forms for my customers since he was elected.

Yup, I got that wrong...  I got that confused., hence I deleted it a few minutes after I posted.  I should have proofed it better.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There is a no pursuit policy in place, and it is extremely tight, to the point that even violent felonies aren't pursuit worthy.

When I say "no pursuit policy in place", I mean for non-violent offenses, which is fine.  However the deputes are often told not to pursue anyone, including violent or felonious offenders.  The no pursuit policy is often cited by the higher ups.

Quoted:
The current Sheriff is also not Class 3 friendly.  While he runs as a republican, he will NOT sign off on any C3 guns.

Yup, I got that wrong...  I got that confused., hence I deleted it a few minutes after I posted.  I should have proofed it better.

Quoted:
On the other hand the cat running against him, Bill Waybourn, would free deputies to patrol Tarrant County ... He will sign off on C3 stuff because he doesnt believe a citizen needs to show a need, only a want and desire to on the. So vote for Bill Waybourn.

According to current and former Tarrant County deputies I am friends and acquaintances with, Waybourn will sign off on C3.  The former are afraid to post anything negative on the current sheriff for fear of retribution (similar to what Sheriff Valdez did to deputy Rodriguez in Dallas).

Link Posted: 5/20/2016 1:58:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 2:23:23 PM EDT
[#6]
So your friends and acquaintances have an axe to grind with the current Sherriff?  
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 2:48:36 PM EDT
[#7]
I use to work for Sheriff Anderson and working under him was a nightmare. You do NOT mess with his voters. Conducting any real police work is highly frowned upon. Relationships with other departments in the county is pathetic. Anderson pretty much said the city departments can handle their own so stay away. It is so easy to get in trouble working there, and most of it was for silly things. Many of the guys I went to the academy with has left the county for different departments. I know many Deputies are looking forward to having a new Sheriff in town.

I only thing I like about Anderson was that he was very NFA friendly. He will sign off on on NFA items.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 3:26:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
So your friends and acquaintances have an axe to grind with the current Sherriff?  
View Quote

Not so much an axe to grind, as they feel he isnt worthy of the title anymore.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 3:29:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
According to current and former Tarrant County deputies I am friends and acquaintances with, Waybourn will sign off on C3.  The former are afraid to post anything negative on the current sheriff for fear of retribution (similar to what Sheriff Valdez did to deputy Rodriguez in Dallas).

View Quote

My point is 41F makes signing a non-issue long before he could get into office.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 7:05:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Its time for a change in the SO. Anderson needs to go. He has practically destroyed that department.

MPD165
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 7:50:55 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd like to hear more about what Anderson has/hasn't done.  I do know for a fact he signs NFA paperwork, but again will soon be a non-issue.  I also know for a fact his department has the no pursuit policy in place but aside from those things not much else.

What I do know about Waybourn is that he spent like 30+ years as chief of Dalworthington Gardens PD.  For those who dont know, DWG is a very small suburb within Arlington and its residents are upper-middle class, as in most homes starting around $400-$500k, for a total population of like 2000.  My concern here is that for a guy who was chief of a small PD for a town of 2000, how in the world is that going to translate to being sheriff for a major urban county?  You can't take Mayberry approach that actually could work in DWG and apply it there yet everything I read about him suggests that that is what he's going to do.  
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 1:02:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Dee Anderson was a detective in Arlington.  While much larger than DWG, Arlington still doesnt have a huge police force.  Coincidentally, he replaced a guy that destroyed TCSO's morale too.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 6:19:29 AM EDT
[#13]
I don't think it'll be too much of a concern going to a county from a small town PD. One thing he may struggle(at first) with is the huge budget compared to DWG. He'll have to manage a handful of county jails and patrol operations, but he'll have Chief Deputies he can delegate those task to. Police work wise, that won't be too hard to change. He'll definitely let his patrol deputies operate like his officers at DWG.  If anyone has been to DWG, you know what I'm talking about.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 5:00:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Anderson signed my form 4s with no problem (while the Grapevine Police Chief was an ass). Anderson will ALWAYS get my vote!
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 1:21:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 9:17:51 AM EDT
[#16]
So I am just asking, for real, did Waybourn shoot himself in the hand accidentally?

Cut and pasted from Dee Andersons website

"Last week was a bad week in my opponent’s world. First the news story broke about how he, while teaching a gun safety class, accidentally shot himself in the hand, failed to report the shooting to a proper law enforcement authority and lied about what happened for three years until confronted by the media and forced to confess. He had a doctor falsify medical records to show the injury as not a gunshot wound, then lied on a worker’s compensation form, saying the injury occurred as part of his regular job. He then had taxpayers pay for his medical treatments and two surgeries."

Link Posted: 5/22/2016 9:29:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
So I am just asking, for real, did Waybourn shoot himself in the hand accidentally?
View Quote

Add Lee Paige, DEA to the list of endorsements. Says Lee " Bill and are the only ones Professional enough  to carry a gun."

2013 murky details but it was not reported to police, and he filed workmans comp, which is questionable for an LEO teaching a non-LEO the CHL class.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 9:33:04 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Add Lee Paige, DEA to the list of endorsements. Says Lee " Bill and are the only ones Professional enough  to carry a gun."

2013 murky details but it was not reported to police, and he filed workmans comp, which is questionable for an LEO teaching a non-LEO the CHL class.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yea, I am finding more out.  I will admit having no problem with Anderson, but have been on fence even though I voted for him.  I just don't know enough about what is going on to spur the challenge.  

After finding this information, and the "facts" around it, if a change is needed, WAYBOURN IS NOT THAT CHANGE!  

This is amazing that a law enforcement official would attempt something like this and speaks volumes to character.  NUFF SAID.

You want a scandal cover up as sheriff or you want to wait for somebody that is what they say they are?
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 9:35:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

After finding this information, and the "facts" around it, if a change is needed, WAYBOURN IS NOT THAT CHANGE!  

View Quote

Yeah the workmans's comp claim for a non-on-the-job injury has potential to turn this into a Paxton like affair, where someone elected gets indicted.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 12:11:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Desire to know more about the Waybourn shooting intensifies.  Links?

ETA: I read the Dee Anderson page thing.  Interesting he lists inexperience, Anderson didnt have much experience when he got elected.  It's also funny he mentions speed traps when TCSO has a habit of setting one up in unincorporated Tarrant County off of Forest Hill Rd, but OK.

In the end, I guess the thing that troubles me most is how ticky tack the "leadership" is within the department is.  Spot checking deputies for violations on things like carrying too much ammo.  Dont pull too many people over.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 1:54:28 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

ETA: I read the Dee Anderson page thing.  Interesting he lists inexperience, Anderson didnt have much experience when he got elected.  It's also funny he mentions speed traps when TCSO has a habit of setting one up in unincorporated Tarrant County off of Forest Hill Rd, but OK.

In the end, I guess the thing that troubles me most is how ticky tack the "leadership" is within the department is.  Spot checking deputies for violations on things like carrying too much ammo.  Dont pull too many people over.
View Quote
While these things matter, in the end I guess I worry more about honesty and integrity.  I realize it sometimes comes in shades of gray, the infraction listed seems to me to be a full blown black.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 7:21:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
While these things matter, in the end I guess I worry more about honesty and integrity.  I realize it sometimes comes in shades of gray, the infraction listed seems to me to be a full blown black.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If its black you'll have no problem providing more info.  So again, links?  I asked some deputies about it and was, "There is far more to it than that".  They havent said what it is because they're on duty right now.  So Im holding you to the same stndard as I hold them.  More info.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 7:42:29 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
If its black you'll have no problem providing more info.  So again, links?  I asked some deputies about it and was, "There is far more to it than that".  They havent said what it is because they're on duty right now.  So Im holding you to the same stndard as I hold them.  More info.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

You have google like I do.  I will spoon feed you one link.  If you want to know the truth about things like I do, you will use google to the best of it's ability, to try to find the truth.  

You print propaganda flyers that tell half truths like the one above.  That list training hours and education, LOL.  I can cherry pick bad things about guys I work with who are cream of the crop.  Just depends on how you want to present information.  You can make the dumbest 3 fingered moron appear to have a world class resume too.  Not saying any of that applies to either candidate.

Then you also talk about the deputies you know that are disgruntled with Anderson, well again there are two sides to every story.  I do not pretend to know the complete truth.  It may be soon time for a change at sheriff.  I will not be voting for Waybourn based on what I have learned in the last couple days.  

Here is your one link.  Search more.. by the way, the city has NO BUSINESS BEING INVOLVED IN COMPETITION WITH PRIVATE ENTERPRISE. If Waybourn wants to teach CHL he should do it on his off time.  There will be no question of ethics then.  The city should not be involved in competing with citizens on business ventures.  

Your veiled I know deputies stuff, smells of disgruntled employees with axes to grind.  

Link Posted: 5/23/2016 12:45:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
You have google like I do.  I will spoon feed you one link.  If you want to know the truth about things like I do, you will use google to the best of it's ability, to try to find the truth.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

If you're going to make claims, you support them.  "Google it" isnt supporting your argument.  

You print propaganda flyers that tell half truths like the one above.  That list training hours and education, LOL.  I can cherry pick bad things about guys I work with who are cream of the crop.  Just depends on how you want to present information.  You can make the dumbest 3 fingered moron appear to have a world class resume too.  Not saying any of that applies to either candidate.

I did indeed post propaganda, however, only one person has posted a link to a candidates website thus far, and that's you.  That said, I posted that piece of propaganda in response to the fellow asking if he had the necessary experience.  Do tell how how they are "half truths".  Does he almost have the support of those various law enforcement agencies and the majority of the Tarrant County Constables he listed?  Did he halfway serve in the air force?  Is he only sorta telling the truth or lying about his certs?  

Then you also talk about the deputies you know that are disgruntled with Anderson, well again there are two sides to every story.  I do not pretend to know the complete truth.  It may be soon time for a change at sheriff.  I will not be voting for Waybourn based on what I have learned in the last couple days.

Well we have two people familiar, more so than you and I, pretty much telling you how things are going in the Tarrant County Sheriffs Office.  None of them are any of my acquaintances.  

Here is your one link.  Search more.. by the way, the city has NO BUSINESS BEING INVOLVED IN COMPETITION WITH PRIVATE ENTERPRISE. If Waybourn wants to teach CHL he should do it on his off time.  There will be no question of ethics then.  The city should not be involved in competing with citizens on business ventures.  

http://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/community/fort-worth/article61168537.html

Yay!  A link.  I read it.  Twice.  Seems the class he was teaching when the ND/AD (although AD is the least likely) happened wasnt a CHL class.  It was coined an "outreach class".  There are many rather conservative leaning small towns and counties all over Texas and the US that teach citizenry how to shoot.  They do so in official capacity.  The idea is to get more people into shooting that would feel more comfortable if there was a cop teaching (I roll my eyes, but whatever...).  It also seems the city staff knew about it, and encouraged it.  It also seems an Alderman wasnt sure it was city sanctioned, but that he would defer to the CA.  To be honest, that's a poorly written article because the author seems to interchange CHL classes and basic protocol classes (this is what you do and dont do type classes) with no regard.  

The student said she didnt pay, Waybourn asked for no payment, the city understood it was not a CHL for profit class.  How that can be seen as "competition with private enterprise" I guess just eludes me.  If you have a problem with a cop teaching CHL classes in his or her off time, well, there's a metric ton of them out there doing it.  A Saginaw cop teaches at a shitty range in Ft Worth

Your veiled I know deputies stuff, smells of disgruntled employees with axes to grind.  

There is nothing "veiled" I do know Tarrant County sheriffs deputies and deputy constables.  I know a handful of Ft Worth cops.  Friends of friends are in LE in Tarrant County.  They all say the same thing about the Anderson regime.  The way I hear them speak and see the text, I wouldnt say they are disgruntled, a disgruntled employee wont stic around/  Flumaxed, maybe disgusted, are more appropriate as their morale is shot out.  But forget that stuff for a second.  You have a former TCSO deputy in this very thread pretty much corroborating what I've said, and I dont even know him/her.  You alo have another person in that county that is, obstensibly, a police officer in that county calling for an end to Anderson as sheriff.  Again, I dont know him/her.  This is a small thread, not even 2 pages yet, but there are people I dont know saying exactly what I have said

Link Posted: 5/23/2016 8:47:35 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
If you're going to make claims, you support them. "Google it" isnt supporting your argument.
View Quote

Is that anything like..."some anonymous deputies I know said...."

"Well we have two people familiar, more so than you and I, pretty much telling you how things are going in the Tarrant County Sheriffs Office. None of them are any of my acquaintances."

Yea I should take your word on how things are going because....oh wait?  Why should I take anything you say without proof?  See how that works both ways supporting your claims.

This just in I am telling you aliens landed in Oak Lawn last night...Just believe me.. I promise its true.
I am not making claims.  I am reading claims made by Dee Anderson and the Startlegram and saying there is enough question in my mind to say Waybourn is not the answer to sheriff needs in Tarrant county.  I will wait for a better candidate to vote out Anderson.  My black comment earlier, was there is plenty there to make me question the activities surrounding the event as being completely transparent.

Now buy a vowel on your outreach class.  Not a police chiefs job to give paid or unpaid CHL classes.  Leave that private enterprise or when you are off duty.  

Link Posted: 5/23/2016 9:07:22 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Yea, I am finding more out.  I will admit having no problem with Anderson, but have been on fence even though I voted for him.  I just don't know enough about what is going on to spur the challenge.    

This is amazing that a law enforcement official would attempt something like this and speaks volumes to character.  NUFF SAID.
You want a scandal cover up as sheriff or you want to wait for somebody that is what they say they are?

View Quote

My personal take on why Waybourn is running?  Think about it for a sec.  A police chief of 30 years or however long it was retires then has an overwhelming desire to run for sheriff?  Why not just run for sheriff while you were still active police chief?  My guess here is that he found out his retirement package wasn't enough and needs some extra.

I have not decided who to vote for.  I understand one candidate is going to try to run the other down, that happens with any race.  But Anderson damn sure has not had any of the drama in operations of others of equivalent size (Dallas County).  No I honestly don't know what morale is like in the department but let's also be realistic here too.  With any sheriff department, there will almost always be high turnover in larger urban areas like this one specifically because of jailer positions.  Is this the reason for the morale problem?  A couple of members here in this thread have said there's a morale problem but the only specifics provided are the no pursuit policy for patrol and being dressed down for too much ammo or not enough.  Anything else?

Link Posted: 5/23/2016 10:49:36 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

My personal take on why Waybourn is running?  Think about it for a sec.  A police chief of 30 years or however long it was retires then has an overwhelming desire to run for sheriff?  Why not just run for sheriff while you were still active police chief?  My guess here is that he found out his retirement package wasn't enough and needs some extra.

I have not decided who to vote for.  I understand one candidate is going to try to run the other down, that happens with any race.  But Anderson damn sure has not had any of the drama in operations of others of equivalent size (Dallas County).  No I honestly don't know what morale is like in the department but let's also be realistic here too.  With any sheriff department, there will almost always be high turnover in larger urban areas like this one specifically because of jailer positions.  Is this the reason for the morale problem?  A couple of members here in this thread have said there's a morale problem but the only specifics provided are the no pursuit policy for patrol and being dressed down for too much ammo or not enough.  Anything else?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

And I honestly had no favoritism.  I have been wondering for a while, in very neutral flavor, why should I vote for Waybourn or against Anderson.  I have had no axe to grind with either.  

I could have very well have voted for Waybourn out of ignorance.  Working in the fire service for quite a long time now, I see how the internal disgruntled issues get blown out of proportion and how leaders have their flaws.  What I also know is when you work in public service you don't mix in private ventures.  You don't dabble in competition with other peoples private business ventures.  No city or county should have a stake in CHL certification classes, for profit or non.  This is within the confines of the current structure of laws we have to deal with.  I believe the Constitution is our license, but that is a different thread.

If you are a chief or some such, you do these types of things on your own, off duty.  You fill out a piece of paper that says this is my off duty job, the public employer reviews it and says ok or not ok.  I have never seen anybody be denied an off duty job.  Up to and including security in a strip club.  

This injury that Waybourn had troubles me greatly.  The fact it was claimed on workers comp troubles me more.  One thing I have learned is where there is smoke there is usually fire.  This whole situation seems to spawn from somebody stretching the limits of what qualifies for duty.  That will not stop with this one instance.  That will lead to more and more on varying issues.   I have seen people who do this type of thing, and there is no learning of lessons.  They push because that is their way.  Not always a bad trait.  It is, however, when one doesn't know the line between what is right and what is not right.  
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 11:06:31 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 7:10:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

"Well we have two people familiar, more so than you and I, pretty much telling you how things are going in the Tarrant County Sheriffs Office. None of them are any of my acquaintances."

Yea I should take your word on how things are going because....oh wait?  Why should I take anything you say without proof?  See how that works both ways supporting your claims.
This just in I am telling you aliens landed in Oak Lawn last night...Just believe me.. I promise its true.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you're going to make claims, you support them. "Google it" isnt supporting your argument.

You dont have to take my word.  But your comparison of me telling you to provide links to prove your assertion (which by the way, you havent done yet, your own link says the person getting the training wasnt paying the chief and the chief never mentioned payment), and me citing both acquaintances and people in this very thread is as faulty a comparison as there is.  You dont have to believe me, but what about the two posters in here that have corroborated what my acquaintances have said.

I am not making claims.  I am reading claims made by Dee Anderson and the Startlegram and saying there is enough question in my mind to say Waybourn is not the answer to sheriff needs in Tarrant county.  I will wait for a better candidate to vote out Anderson.  My black comment earlier, was there is plenty there to make me question the activities surrounding the event as being completely transparent.   [div]

Now buy a vowel on your outreach class.  Not a police chiefs job to give paid or unpaid CHL classes.  Leave that private enterprise or when you are off duty.  

Your logic is screwed up.  So if I'm to spend the funds on a vowel, for the love of Odin, buy a clue.

From your own link:

"In some instances he taught "outreach" classes in his official capacity as police chief."

"I took myself completely out of the decision making," Waybourn said in a recent interview.  "I wasnt involved with it, and said, 'Whatever is right, we'll do'."

"Waybourn told the Star Telegram that the accidental discharge occurred as he trained a doctor under a city-approved outreach program."

"Waybourn said that the outreach program was a public relations effort made by the city and that the outreach classes were separate from other concealed handgun classes that he has conducted for profit.  "Nobody was charged for them", he said.

"Simmons said that while she has no knowledge of whether the city approved her training, she did not pay Waybourn for it, nor was payment ever discussed."

One of the problems with the article is the confusion between CHL classes and a basic instruction block.  As I said earlier, the article seem to use the two types of classes interchangeably, and that leads to confusion.  

He says he teaches for profit CHL classes when off duty.  You dont have a problem with that, nor do I (nor should any capitalist minded individual).  According to your article, the one you linked to, he was not teaching a for profit class of any kind.  He was helping her to get a CHL, by teaching fundamentals (which we can all agree he fucked up on), but not teaching a CHL class.

One of the first things many gun ranges ask people is, "Have you ever shot or handled a gun?"  If a person seems hesitant or answers in the negative, they are taken to a classroom for a small classroom block on the cardinal rules of gun safety, additional range rules, and perhaps some simple tips.  Ranges that do this usually charge nothing as it saves them money from and heartburn.  I have no problem with anybody doing this.  I have no problem with a police department offering this service as they are tasked with keeping the community safe, and I feel teaching a basic gun safety class is an excellent use of funds to aid in keeping communities safe.  Heck, Dallas PD had a community outreach program on safe motorcycle riding, conducted by an on duty Dallas cop.  There are several other programs taught by on duty officers in many municipalities that fall under community outreach and safety, why should safe use of firearms be any different?  With this said, I would have a problem if a cop was teaching for profit CHL classes while getting paid to be a cop.

Link Posted: 5/23/2016 7:13:42 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
You dont have to take my word.  But your comparison of me telling you to provide links to prove your assertion (which by the way, you havent done yet, your own link says the person getting the training wasnt paying the chief and the chief never mentioned payment), and me citing both acquaintances and people in this very thread is as faulty a comparison as there is.  You dont have to believe me, but what about the two posters in here that have corroborated what my acquaintances have said.
Your logic is screwed up.  So if I'm to spend the funds on a vowel, for the love of Odin, buy a clue.

One of the problems with the article is the confusion between CHL classes and a basic instruction block.  As I said earlier, the article seem to use the two types of classes interchangeably, and that leads to confusion.  

He says he teaches for profit CHL classes when off duty.  You dont have a problem with that, nor do I (nor should any capitalist minded individual).  According to your article, the one you linked to, he was not teaching a for profit class of any kind.  He was helping her to get a CHL, by teaching fundamentals (which we can all agree he fucked up on), but not teaching a CHL class.

One of the first things many gun ranges ask people is, "Have you ever shot or handled a gun?"  If a person seems hesitant or answers in the negative, they are taken to a classroom for a small classroom block on the cardinal rules of gun safety, additional range rules, and perhaps some simple tips.  Ranges that do this usually charge nothing as it saves them money from and heartburn.  I have no problem with anybody doing this.  I have no problem with a police department offering this service as they are tasked with keeping the community safe, and I feel teaching a basic gun safety class is an excellent use of funds to aid in keeping communities safe.  Heck, Dallas PD had a community outreach program on safe motorcycle riding, conducted by an on duty Dallas cop.  There are several other programs taught by on duty officers in many municipalities that fall under community outreach and safety, why should safe use of firearms be any different?  With this said, I would have a problem if a cop was teaching for profit CHL classes while getting paid to be a cop.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am not making claims.  I am reading claims made by Dee Anderson and the Startlegram and saying there is enough question in my mind to say Waybourn is not the answer to sheriff needs in Tarrant county.  I will wait for a better candidate to vote out Anderson.  My black comment earlier, was there is plenty there to make me question the activities surrounding the event as being completely transparent.   [div]

From your own link:

"In some instances he taught "outreach" classes in his official capacity as police chief."

"I took myself completely out of the decision making," Waybourn said in a recent interview.  "I wasnt involved with it, and said, 'Whatever is right, we'll do'."

"Waybourn told the Star Telegram that the accidental discharge occurred as he trained a doctor under a city-approved outreach program."

"Waybourn said that the outreach program was a public relations effort made by the city and that the outreach classes were separate from other concealed handgun classes that he has conducted for profit.  "Nobody was charged for them", he said.

"Simmons said that while she has no knowledge of whether the city approved her training, she did not pay Waybourn for it, nor was payment ever discussed."

Eye of the beholder and all....
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 11:13:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Waybourn just on the news.  Running down the new jail.  In his opinion, yada yada yada, bad stuff bad stuff.

Have you been in the new jail?

Waybourn:No but I heard.......

MMMMKay, thanks for playing.  

Texas Commission on Jail Standards says the jail is in compliance and be operated at full capacity as needed.  Waybourn is wrong.  
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 8:42:05 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Waybourn just on the news.  Running down the new jail.  In his opinion, yada yada yada, bad stuff bad stuff.

Texas Commission on Jail Standards says the jail is in compliance and be operated at full capacity as needed.  Waybourn is wrong.  

View Quote

And that is precisely what I was getting at in one of my previous replies.  Dallas County on the other hand has had a lot of drama over the years including not being able to get their jail up to state standards.  Anderson has, so why in the world attack him there?  It makes no sense.

Waybourn just gives me the impression that he is running simply because he wants a fatter paycheck than what he received at DWG.

Link Posted: 5/24/2016 9:27:52 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

TCSO passes every year because they micromanage like crazy and prepare the entire year. I don't think a person knows how bad it is unless you worked at the SO. Since you are required to work in the jails first, I remember we had to ask permission to use the restroom that was literally 4' away. Anderson also took away 50% of radios in the jail. Half of the jailers are with inmates without radios. Officer safety was not a priority for Anderson. Anderson shut down the jail SRT because inmates complained they were too aggressive. The jails were never full on purpose and that was so he can keep his officer to inmate ratio to standard according to TCJS. Tarrant County is a great place to commit a crime because the chances of you being in jail long, if at all, is slim. That's why we are known as Tolerant County by inmates/criminals. I worked there for 3 years and only saw him once. He always stays in his building in downtown. At least with the dept I'm with now, I see the Chief a few times a month. You never hear drama from TCSO because Anderson doesn't want his guys doing anything. When you don't do anything, you don't get into anything.

Employees want change because the morale is extremely bad. That's why so many people leave. No one likes to work at a place where you are treated like a child.

ETA: before Anderson, the Sheriff before him would send his jailers to the police academy and also carry your peace officer TCOLE commission if you paid your way through the academy. Alot of jailers were Deputy Sheriffs. When Anderson came into office, he decided to not carry their(jailers) peace officer license anymore. Not entirely sure the reasoning for that but it sure did make a lot of people mad.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 10:00:31 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
TCSO passes every year because they micromanage like crazy and prepare the entire year. I don't think a person knows how bad it is unless you worked at the SO. Since you are required to work in the jails first, I remember we had to ask permission to use the restroom that was literally 4' away. Anderson also took away 50% of radios in the jail. Half of the jailers are with inmates without radios. Anderson shut down the jail SRT because inmates complained they were too aggressive.  I worked there for 3 years and only saw him once. He always stays in his building in downtown. At least with the dept I'm with now, I see the Chief a few times a month. You never hear drama from TCSO because Anderson doesn't want his guys doing anything. When you don't do anything, you don't get into anything.....  I hear this from guys I work with, the guys that are usually the ones stirring up stuff to agitate, not for the good.  Not calling you out, but this is a common theme among those who would like to make themselves feel better.

Employees want change because the morale is extremely bad. That's why so many people leave. No one likes to work at a place where you are treated like a child....another common theme among the agitators I work with.  There is a reason some people get treated like children, again not calling you out, but there are two sides to every story.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

TCSO passes every year because they micromanage like crazy and prepare the entire year. I don't think a person knows how bad it is unless you worked at the SO. Since you are required to work in the jails first, I remember we had to ask permission to use the restroom that was literally 4' away. Anderson also took away 50% of radios in the jail. Half of the jailers are with inmates without radios. Anderson shut down the jail SRT because inmates complained they were too aggressive.  I worked there for 3 years and only saw him once. He always stays in his building in downtown. At least with the dept I'm with now, I see the Chief a few times a month. You never hear drama from TCSO because Anderson doesn't want his guys doing anything. When you don't do anything, you don't get into anything.....  I hear this from guys I work with, the guys that are usually the ones stirring up stuff to agitate, not for the good.  Not calling you out, but this is a common theme among those who would like to make themselves feel better.

Employees want change because the morale is extremely bad. That's why so many people leave. No one likes to work at a place where you are treated like a child....another common theme among the agitators I work with.  There is a reason some people get treated like children, again not calling you out, but there are two sides to every story.
This maybe the case.  But change to a worse 'bad', defeats the purpose.  Putting somebody in there that, as I am finding out, has run a campaign like Waybourn has would be a mistake.  Anderson says this is his last go round.  To bad there wasn't a better alternative.  The gsw to the hand throws me way over the edge.  The outreach classes, chl stuff, not a plus for him either.  Sounds good but these are private venture issues.  Cities don't need to get involved in that.  They turn into pet favor projects, which sounds like what happened when he got shot in the hand.  

I have no way at this moment to refute or confirm your claims.  Sorry you had it bad.  Maybe Anderson needs to go, but not in lieu of Waybourn.  I will wait for fresh field of candidates next go round.  

*typical agitator type I work with...has never taken a promotional or at least not seriously studied, always thinks their plan is better, has a record of write ups and says if you don't get in trouble from time to time it means you are lazy and don't do anything(gotta crack a few eggs to make an omelette).  They always have a better solution but never try to promote to implement their plan, then say it's not fair because nobody ever listens to their good ideas.(which are usually crack pot and see only a small portion of what immediately effects them and nobody else.)

**and one more point, Waybourn was appointed chief at the ripe old age of 24, who here thinks he has any real policing experience?  He has been a chief his whole life.  I have seen how this works out up close and personal.   One more factor for me not voting that way.

Link Posted: 5/24/2016 3:35:56 PM EDT
[#35]
All Dee Anderson ever was with Arlington was a PIO.

And the only reason you'd know that is that he was Arlington's PIO during the search for and subsequent murder investigation of Amber Hagerman.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 4:03:23 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

And the only reason you'd know that is that he was Arlington's PIO during the search for and subsequent murder investigation of Amber Hagerman.
View Quote
That's how he retired. He was also a detective.  And he had years of experience in the field.  Again I am not the Dee Anderson champion. I just think he is currently a better choice than a guy who was chief since he was 24, lied about the jail issues, and shot himself in the hand.

We all like different things.  I will support the eventual winner the people pick, no matter who it is.  But today I voted Anderson.  Vote your conscience and good luck.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 3:01:14 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
That's how he retired. He was also a detective.  And he had years of experience in the field.  Again I am not the Dee Anderson champion. I just think he is currently a better choice than a guy who was chief since he was 24, lied about the jail issues, and shot himself in the hand.

We all like different things.  I will support the eventual winner the people pick, no matter who it is.  But today I voted Anderson.  Vote your conscience and good luck.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting Dallas, Denton and Tarrant county have so many issues, and are right next to each other.

Anderson quit carrying Peace Officer licenses in the jail because training hours were a nightmare. That is my understanding at least. Travis couldn't stay out of the news, fortunately he is out. hopefully murphree will be better.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 9:37:47 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Interesting Dallas, Denton and Tarrant county have so many issues, and are right next to each other.

Anderson quit carrying Peace Officer licenses in the jail because training hours were a nightmare. That is my understanding at least. Travis couldn't stay out of the news, fortunately he is out. hopefully murphree will be better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Glad Murphree is in.  I had forgotten to pay attention.  Heard a lot of stuff from a lot of people on the former, none good that I can remember.  

*Just saw the results.  Congratulations to Mr. Waybourn.  I hope he has a good, transparent, and successful administration.  
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 2:00:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Well this time next year we'll see how things are going.  Hopefully for the better.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 4:56:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Well this time next year we'll see how things are going.  Hopefully for the better.
View Quote

Guess I'll have to start watching for speed traps based on DWG reputation.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 4:27:29 AM EDT
[#41]
Glad waybourn got it.

Link Posted: 5/26/2016 7:19:03 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is one thing you'll have to watch out for. People are going to hate driving in unincorporated areas of Tarrant County just like people are afraid to drive through DWG and Pantego.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 11:53:47 AM EDT
[#43]
Now we need to get Launius in office in Dallas County (good luck with that).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top