Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/12/2016 8:55:15 PM EDT
I work for a Auto Dealership down in Beautiful Clear Lake (NASA land!)...

I had a Very Nice Gentleman coming in today to pick up a car he had already purchased for his daughter...    This guy could not have been cooler or nicer!  I've give major body parts to work with more people like him and fewer "foreign barginners..."  (Hey Joe, How Low You Go?? - You sell for $2,000 back of invoice and give me all options free too?? - That price is Still Too High!!.... How Much More You Give Me??...    )

Dad gets out with a nice golf shirt, golf shorts and also was also surprised to see he has on a Kydex Holster on the Right side along with his Glock 19... (very nicely finished too by the way!)

Even though we didn't come into the building (Building is posted 30.07 (however Building is NOT posted 30.06 - Hoo Ray for the "low Concealed profile carry"!!!)) the General Manager did eagle eye us looking out the window (of course) and when I returned he found the time to give me the 3rd, 4th and 5th degrees about exactly WHY this nice guy brought his Glock to our lot...  (Hammer Replies like "Well Boss, I'm not a mind reader...  Maybe with all the Crazy Crime in Clear Lake these days he felt better having the means to protect himself and his daughter"....)

As the "Gun Guy" here (you wouldn't believe the Industrial Strength DERP that I have to correct from my well meaning yet clueless co-workers nearly every day - Don't get me started) I had to delicately explain that we are posted 30.07 and Mr. Customer couldn't come into the building with Said Glock visible on the hip...

So ...  Open Carry in Texas...    No one was shot or killed, Blood didn't run knee high in the streets.   No drama or trauma (except General Manager continuing to be his normal total Dick Head self...

Glad I survived my first Texas Open Carry experience with a minimum of P.T.S.D. or triggering from seeing an ickly gun here at work...   ...

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 9:03:27 PM EDT
[#1]
You're  reminding me of medicfrost lately
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 9:06:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Don't know if that is a good thing, or not...

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 9:09:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

BIGGER_HAMMER
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

BIGGER_HAMMER

Nothing negative intended, I just always seem to click on medicfrost threads and today's trend has been me clicking on yours.
Just an observation
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 9:10:01 PM EDT
[#4]
very nice,  I counted 5 open carry citizens in Bandera today.       3 1911 and 2 Glock
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 9:11:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I had a Very Nice Gentleman coming in today to pick up a car he had already purchased for his daughter...    This guy could not have been cooler or nicer!  I've give major body parts to work with more people like him and fewer "foreign barginners..."  (Hey Joe, How Low You Go?? - You sell for $2,000 back of invoice and give me all options free too?? - That price is Still Too High!!.... How Much More You Give Me??...    )

Dad gets out with a nice golf shirt, golf shorts and also was also surprised to see he has on a Kydex Holster on the Right side along with his Glock 19... (very nicely finished too by the way!)

Even though we didn't come into the building (Building is posted 30.07 (however Building is NOT posted 30.06 - Hoo Ray for the "low Concealed profile carry"!!!)) the General Manager did eagle eye us looking out the window (of course) and when I returned he found the time to give me the 3rd, 4th and 5th degrees about exactly WHY this nice guy brought his Glock to our lot...  (Hammer Replies like "Well Boss, I'm not a mind reader...  Maybe with all the Crazy Crime in Clear Lake these days he felt better having the means to protect himself and his daughter"....)

As the "Gun Guy" here (you wouldn't believe the Industrial Strength DERP that I have to correct from my well meaning yet clueless co-workers nearly every day - Don't get me started) I had to delicately explain that we are posted 30.07 and Mr. Customer couldn't come into the building with Said Glock visible on the hip...

So ...  Open Carry in Texas...    No one was shot or killed, Blood didn't run knee high in the streets.   No drama or trauma (except General Manager continuing to be his normal total Dick Head self...

Glad I survived my first Texas Open Carry experience with a minimum of P.T.S.D. or triggering from seeing an ickly gun here at work...   ...

BIGGER_HAMMER
View Quote

What would your manger say if the guy said I am not getting the car from your dealership because of the 30.07?
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 9:13:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

What would your manger say if the guy said I am not getting the car from your dealership because of the 30.07?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

BIGGER_HAMMER

If it's the Houston area, he likely doesn't care.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 9:29:28 PM EDT
[#7]
People don't seem to connect the dots. LTC people are law abiding citizens, not bloodthirsty criminals.

My work is also posted 30.07. It's amazing the level of unreasonable fear people can have when they see a non-LEO openly carrying.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 9:37:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
People don't seem to connect the dots. LTC people are law abiding citizens, not bloodthirsty criminals.

My work is also posted 30.07. It's amazing the level of unreasonable fear people can have when they see a non-LEO openly carrying.
View Quote

Of course. This is what drives the anti-gun thought process.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 7:34:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

BIGGER_HAMMER

Almost every dealership in the area is both 30.06 & 30.07 signed.   I consider myself lucky that we don't have 30.06 signs (prohibiting concealed carry)

The Corporate Employee handbook says we can't be armed, but I know of several folks at work who carry and haven't been fired (yet... )

BIGGER_HAMMER

Link Posted: 5/13/2016 9:16:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Even though we didn't come into the building (Building is posted 30.07 (however Building is NOT posted 30.06 - Hoo Ray for the "low Concealed profile carry"!!!)) the General Manager did eagle eye us looking out the window (of course) and when I returned he found the time to give me the 3rd, 4th and 5th degrees about exactly WHY this nice guy brought his Glock to our lot...  

View Quote

Actually 30.07 signs applies to the property not buildings. 07 signs are supposed to be at entrance to property, not buildings. So if he knew about the 07 sign, he committed a violation when he entered property.. However, when you told him not to come into building, you gave him effective consent to carry on property.

Well done though with the effective consent!
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 9:30:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Actually 30.07 signs applies to the property not buildings. 07 signs are supposed to be at entrance to property, not buildings. So if he knew about the 07 sign, he committed a violation when he entered property.. However, when you told him not to come into building, you gave him effective consent to carry on property.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Even though we didn't come into the building (Building is posted 30.07 (however Building is NOT posted 30.06 - Hoo Ray for the "low Concealed profile carry"!!!)) the General Manager did eagle eye us looking out the window (of course) and when I returned he found the time to give me the 3rd, 4th and 5th degrees about exactly WHY this nice guy brought his Glock to our lot...  

The 30.07 signs are only at the entrances to the actual building, not on the perimeter or gates of the lot.  

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 9:43:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The 30.07 signs are only at the entrances to the actual building, not on the perimeter or gates of the lot.  

BIGGER_HAMMER
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

BIGGER_HAMMER

Yes and the law specifies they are to be at the entrance to the property.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 10:36:08 AM EDT
[#13]
I still have yet to see the first open carrier. Other than a sea of new 30.06 and 30.07 signs, I'd never know open carry passed.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 11:15:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Seen both signs , but have yet to see a "NO CRIMINALS" sign!
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 11:18:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Seen both signs , but have yet to see a "NO CRIMINALS" sign!
View Quote

because even idiots know that criminals will not obey a no criminal sign.  strange but true.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 1:31:08 PM EDT
[#16]
This is so stupid.  Why don't they just pass a law that makes crime a, uh, crime?
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 1:58:37 AM EDT
[#17]
First OC I saw was a woman. In Austin. Outside a Thundercloud.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 7:39:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Was everyone running away screaming like little girls?
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 9:18:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Haven't seen a single OC yet and I'm looking every day.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 10:21:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Haven't seen a single OC yet and I'm looking every day.
View Quote

Saw my first one last week at the Woodville Wally World.  Tall, 65-ish gentleman, carrying what looked to be an FNX pistol in a Serpa holster. I was OWB carrying also, but my shirt covers the pistol.

No one died as I recall, and didn't see any fainting, erratic shooting,or store employees following him around. No cops or sheriffs were called nor did a SWAT team arrive.  
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 6:03:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Auto Dealership.... "foreign barginners..."   Clear Lake...  Lemme guess, Big H  
You know, I went there many years ago, while still going to college full time and working full time..save every penny up to afford my first car, a '98 Accord coupe v6.  None of the guys there actually cared to help me, so I went to the dealer a bit closer in, David McDavid and had one on order the same day.  
You made me laugh about the whole invoice and free stuff, as I definitely know what you are talking about.

Still have not seen one OC yet anywhere in TX.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 6:25:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
You know, I went there many years ago, while still going to college full time and working full time..save every penny up to afford my first car, a '98 Accord coupe v6.  None of the guys there actually cared to help me, so I went to the dealer a bit closer in, David McDavid and had one on order the same day.  
You made me laugh about the whole invoice and free stuff, as I definitely know what you are talking about.

View Quote

OPSEC - Can't say exactly WHAT dealership or Brand I work for, but I'd compliment you on deductive reasoning Mr. Holmes...

David McDavid Honda got the Death Penalty for some Bozo No No's they shouldn't have been a doing...

Our Staff here has a lot of guys into Guns, so I guess I'm blessing I'm not at some spot that considers guns as EVIL and AWEFUL things.

Believe it or not, I really hate the "games" part of the purchase.  It gives both Customers and Dealerships deservedly bad reputations...

BIGGER_HAMMER

Link Posted: 5/14/2016 6:35:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

OPSEC - Can't say exactly WHAT dealership or Brand I work for, but I'd compliment you on deductive reasoning Mr. Holmes...

David McDavid Honda got the Death Penalty for some Bozo No No's they shouldn't have been a doing...

Our Staff here has a lot of guys into Guns, so I guess I'm blessing I'm not at some spot that considers guns as EVIL and AWEFUL things.

Believe it or not, I really hate the "games" part of the purchase.  It gives both Customers and Dealerships deservedly bad reputations...

BIGGER_HAMMER

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

BIGGER_HAMMER

The "games" portion of auto buying is why I have switched to Internet buying.  I send a request to multiple dealers and let them know who ever is the cheapest gets the deal.  Quick and easy and the dealers are negotiating with each other at that point.

By the way I finally got to see my first OC today.  A guy that always rides a bicycle around my neighborhood.  Had what looked like a kel tec in a IWB holster at the 8 o'clock position ( left handed) with a tucked in t-shirt.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 7:52:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

First OC I saw was a guy in Austin.  Downtown on 5th St. near Lamar.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 9:14:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

The "games" portion of auto buying is why I have switched to Internet buying.  I send a request to multiple dealers and let them know who ever is the cheapest gets the deal.  Quick and easy and the dealers are negotiating with each other at that point.

By the way I finally got to see my first OC today.  A guy that always rides a bicycle around my neighborhood.  Had what looked like a kel tec in a IWB holster at the 8 o'clock position ( left handed) with a tucked in t-shirt.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

BIGGER_HAMMER

Trust me I'm not dogging you or trying to be rude, but you don't know much about internet car business...    There are even more "games" and B.S. on the internet side of car buying than their are on the  floor.   Every dealer will advertise that "Too good to be true low low low price" that neglects to mention it doesn't cover destination, the dealer installed high mark up options (which dealers never disclose until AFTER you arrive), association or dealer lot fees, and even if they actually have that vehicle.  I've seen people drive across town to a dealership for a specific vehicle (and we KNOW the other dealer NEVER had it (dealers can see each others inventory and incoming vehicles).  They jerked that poor schmoe across Houston just to try and jack him into a different car because if he didn't show up, they couldn't try to flip and slip him into a different vehicle.   NOT Cool in my book!

I got out of internet sales because it ALL about saying WHATEVER it takes to make the Victim (oops - Lucky Customer) actually drive whatever distance to physically  come into the dealership.  If someone isn't in the dealership (you didn't lie), then they won't buy.  

On the internet, all women are models & beauties, all men are rugged and handsome studs and all car deals are "incredible special savings"...

I'm not saying you shouldn't to use the internet to research and get a quote for a vehicle, (You definitely should do your homework BEFORE you visit instead of after) but remember that any figure you are given, was only given for the express purpose to get you to come into that dealership...  

BIGGER_HAMMER

Link Posted: 5/14/2016 9:20:37 PM EDT
[#26]
I may be in Austin next week.  

I'm thinking about O.C. down at the Capital just to be able to say... "YEEE-HAWWWW!!!     I'm From TEXAS!!!"

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 10:08:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Trust me I'm not dogging you or trying to be rude, but you don't know much about internet car business...    There are even more "games" and B.S. on the internet side of car buying than their are on the  floor.   Every dealer will advertise that "Too good to be true low low low price" that neglects to mention it doesn't cover destination, the dealer installed high mark up options (which dealers never disclose until AFTER you arrive), association or dealer lot fees, and even if they actually have that vehicle.  I've seen people drive across town to a dealership for a specific vehicle (and we KNOW the other dealer NEVER had it (dealers can see each others inventory and incoming vehicles).  They jerked that poor schmoe across Houston just to try and jack him into a different car because if he didn't show up, they couldn't try to flip and slip him into a different vehicle.   NOT Cool in my book!

I got out of internet sales because it ALL about saying WHATEVER it takes to make the Victim (oops - Lucky Customer) actually drive whatever distance to physically  come into the dealership.  If someone isn't in the dealership (you didn't lie), then they won't buy.  

On the internet, all women are models & beauties, all men are rugged and handsome studs and all car deals are "incredible special savings"...

I'm not saying you shouldn't to use the internet to research and get a quote for a vehicle, (You definitely should do your homework BEFORE you visit instead of after) but remember that any figure you are given, was only given for the express purpose to get you to come into that dealership...  

BIGGER_HAMMER

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

BIGGER_HAMMER

BIGGER_HAMMER

Out of all the cars I have purchased I have only had the fake car pulled on me one time.  Technically they had the car.  It was in the body shop because of bumper damage during delivery.  I don't believe the " internet manger " works there anymore after a nice discussion with the corporate office.   How I keep this from happening is I will only show up if the price meets my approval and I have a vin to verify its location.

The games your talking about are the same used With the special you see in th Sunday paper.  

By the way I help create some of the software used for Internet leads back in the mid 90's (auto vantage / autobytel).   We also called it over invoice pricing in Texas to get around the car broker laws.

Anyone who goes to get a internet car by price only is asking to get that scam.

Remeber the Internet price is only a starting point for what you will actually pay after you locate the real vehicle you would like to purchase.  By the time you get 3 or so dealers bidding for the same VIN / similar model you will start to see what you will actually pay.  This will usually only work with mid size dealers.  Small dealers don't have enough volume to make it work with their monthly sales goals and large dealers are usally stuck in the mindset of trying to be the stereotypical car dealer.

No I don't think your dogging me but I know a little more then you think I do as it was my job.  
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 7:23:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

BIGGER_HAMMER

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

BIGGER_HAMMER

BIGGER_HAMMER

What I like are the fake "factory sticker" bullshit tricks. That has to be illegal somehow.
What exactly is the death penalty and no no' s. If you can say
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 1:51:45 PM EDT
[#29]
I've bought two cars through dealers via internet.

Both involved a single message of "will you take $xxxx dollars for exact vehicle? No financing, out the door price. I will bring a check from my credit union."

Both resulted in a yes. Zero BS. Both resulted in cutting a check for the exact amount offered and driving away in 30 mins or less.
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 7:48:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Whenever I OC I feel like that chick in the elevator in Liar Liar. "Everyone's been soooooo nice" "That's because you have big jugs a huge gun!"
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 9:46:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

BIGGER_HAMMER

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

BIGGER_HAMMER

BIGGER_HAMMER

I guess I just physically scare the shit out of dealership personnel, or the Toyota dealership I use just does not play "let's cornhole the customer".
Every time I have gone in to buy a new car/truck I have my financing set up through my credit union and walk in with a check. I find what I want in their online inventory and when I get there they have it and within minutes I am test driving.

They don't even try to sell me all of the "magic bean" warranty crap anymore since I spoke to the GM after my first car and told him if they ever wasted 30 minutes of my time with that horseshit again I would just walk out and not buy anything.

Link Posted: 5/15/2016 11:19:55 PM EDT
[#32]
"What exactly is the death penalty?"

Death Penalty = It ain't McDavid Honda No Mo...  

If we don't mind, I'd like to STEER the TOPIC back to OPEN CARRY in TEXAS...

I'm thinking of Visiting the Capital with my pistol on my hip, just because I now have that freedom, plus I won't have to wait in any line for "security" ....  

YEE HAWWW!!! TEXAS!!!!
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 10:01:17 AM EDT
[#33]
Plenty of OC at the Republican Party of Texas Convention - I wonder if the personnel at the TSRA booth noticed?

Not the first OC I have seen either - I suppose it depends on your AO.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 11:20:07 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Plenty of OC at the Republican Party of Texas Convention - I wonder if the personnel at the TSRA booth noticed?

View Quote

I got my TSRA Sportsman magazine a week ago.  It had pics of the TSRA Convention.  I looked them over fairly closely, seeing if I could spot someone open carrying.  No one.  

Link Posted: 5/17/2016 9:48:57 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I got my TSRA Sportsman magazine a week ago.  It had pics of the TSRA Convention.  I looked them over fairly closely, seeing if I could spot someone open carrying.  No one.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I noticed that as well (TSRA Life Member), and thus we have OCT. If you don't get out front and lead where people want to go, someone else will.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 1:05:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I noticed that as well (TSRA Life Member), and thus we have OCT. If you don't get out front and lead where people want to go, someone else will.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Life member here also.  I'm headed out to TSC to pick up some feed.  I'll be open carrying.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 10:14:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Whenever I OC I feel like that chick in the elevator in Liar Liar. "Everyone's been soooooo nice" "That's because you have big jugs a huge gun!"
View Quote

I feel the same way, lol. I get the most perplexed looks and on occasion I have someone lean towards me and whisper that my gun is showing. :)
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 11:25:58 PM EDT
[#38]
First TX OC I spotted was a 1911 in a Spec's last month. Nice gun, no-one was shot.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 8:31:52 AM EDT
[#39]
Which specs?  I carry there all the time.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 10:21:01 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Which specs?  I carry there all the time.
View Quote

Barker Cypress at 529.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 10:59:04 AM EDT
[#41]
First I saw was a very well dressed man at Walmart with a 1911 on his hip, shirt tucked in with a nice looking kydex holster.  Second and third was a scroungy looking guy with what looked like a 10 cent airsoft holster with a beat up highpoint.  Gun was flopping around loosely in the holster.

ETA: On a side note, how would one carry a rifle round based pistol.  Such as an AK or AR pistol?  And has anyone seen this yet?
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 12:07:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
First I saw was a very well dressed man at Walmart with a 1911 on his hip, shirt tucked in with a nice looking kydex holster.  Second and third was a scroungy looking guy with what looked like a 10 cent airsoft holster with a beat up highpoint.  Gun was flopping around loosely in the holster.

ETA: On a side note, how would one carry a rifle round based pistol.  Such as an AK or AR pistol?  And has anyone seen this yet?
View Quote

Not sure how to pull that off.  Law requires "handgun" be holstered, and I can't think of a "holster" for those...

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 3:10:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Not sure how to pull that off.  Law requires "handgun" be holstered, and I can't think of a "holster" for those...

BIGGER_HAMMER
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

BIGGER_HAMMER

what about this?

Link Posted: 5/24/2016 3:41:59 PM EDT
[#44]
First OC I saw was my client.  I met him  to sign his loan docs and it turns out we were both OCing.

I guess I don't get out much lately.  I haven't seen it a lot.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 3:46:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 12:45:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
First OC I saw was my client.  I met him  to sign his loan docs and it turns out we were both OCing.

I guess I don't get out much lately.  I haven't seen it a lot.
View Quote

Not just you, I haven't seen any. And I'm always looking everywhere I go....
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 4:12:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Taco Cabana on Greenville Ave

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top