Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/11/2016 5:33:29 PM EDT
I can't make any sense of this, what is the best way to purchase electricity?

Link Posted: 5/11/2016 8:21:38 PM EDT
[#1]
If your ocd enough, you build a spreadsheet to compare all the offers to determine which will cost you the least over the next year.

Link Posted: 5/12/2016 12:05:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Do you know how much power you historically use?

Power is charged two times. One charge is from the service company (i.e. Centerpoint) and the other is from the power company you choose.

Power companies often charge different rates for different usage levels. E.g. power usage past 1000 kWh is more or less expensive than power from 0 kWh to 999 kWh.
Additionally, there's promotions running sometimes that will give you a bill credit.

I am a low power user and I have never paid more than $20 in a month for power. Some months end with me having a credit with the company.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 12:52:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Also know that depending on what part of the state you live in determines if you can even have a choice.  Lots of retail providers will canvas regulated areas by mistake trying to drum up business when they cant have any customers in that area anyway.  If your on the ERCOT grid your deregulated and have the choice.  If your on SPP you are still regulated and depending on who has the lines that feed your house, thats who you'll have to go with.  Most of Texas is ERCOT, but east Texas around Longview and Texarkana, the panhandle, and the Lubbock area are SPP.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 5:09:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I shop mine there every year.  I just snagged a new plan that is AWESOME.

7.2 cents per kWH up to 1000 kWH.
3.7 cents per kWH beyond 1000.

That includes ONCOR's pass-thru charges.

Link Posted: 5/16/2016 9:38:23 AM EDT
[#5]
The contracts confuse me. When they are up, are you forced to renew the contract (like an apartment lease) or do they just run out (like a cell phone) and you keep paying?
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 9:49:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The contracts confuse me. When they are up, are you forced to renew the contract (like an apartment lease) or do they just run out (like a cell phone) and you keep paying?
View Quote

You current provider will offer you a new contract.  It will likely SUCK compared to what else is out there.  If you don't take it, you will just go on a month to month plan.  The M/M plan will be a pretty high rate, so you don't want to stay on it for long, and you don't want to accept the first deal your current provider throws you.  It isn't a big deal at all.  When my contract is getting close, I just re-shop on PTC for the best deal again.  I used to lock in 2 and 3 year contracts, but the deals aren't good on those anymore and 12 months seems to be the sweet spot.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 10:04:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

You current provider will offer you a new contract.  If you don't take it, you will just go on a month to month plan.  It isn't a big deal at all.  When my contract is getting close, I just re-shop on PTC for the best deal again.  I used to lock in 2 and 3 year contracts, but the deals aren't good on those anymore and 12 months seems to be the sweet spot.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You current provider will offer you a new contract.  If you don't take it, you will just go on a month to month plan.  It isn't a big deal at all.  When my contract is getting close, I just re-shop on PTC for the best deal again.  I used to lock in 2 and 3 year contracts, but the deals aren't good on those anymore and 12 months seems to be the sweet spot.

Thanks. I picked a plan that's best for users under 1000kWh. It will be great for my 1br apartment.

http://www.gexaenergy.com/UI/Handlers/DynamicRatePdf.ashx?pdfid=35250&rkey=14260|2220|1004|17909

Will I get charged 6.6c and 3c per kWh? Just making sure I understand this correctly.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 10:38:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Thanks. I picked a plan that's best for users under 1000kWh. It will be great for my 1br apartment.

http://www.gexaenergy.com/UI/Handlers/DynamicRatePdf.ashx?pdfid=35250&rkey=14260|2220|1004|17909

Will I get charged 6.6c and 3c per kWh? Just making sure I understand this correctly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So that's a "kickback" plan.  Those are a little more confusing and I don't like them as much.

First - that's only a 9month contract - I am sure you could do better.

Second - this plan has no monthly base customer fee.  That's nice - but it all comes out in the wash.

So the plan calls for a 6.61 cents per kWH to the provider.  No matter how much you use.

Then, it includes 3.07 cents (plus $5.25) in pass-thru charges to ONCOR.  This is standard and we all pay this.

That means you pay around 10 cents (net) for your electricity.   This is 9.7 cents for each kWH plus $5.25 monthly base ONCOR fee.

HOWEVER - as long as you keep it under 1000kwh in a billing period (typically right around one month) you will get a $25 "kickback" or reduction on your fees.

So, say you use 600 kWH in a month:

(600kWH *  $0.0968) + $5.25 = $63.33 minus your $25 kickback for staying under 1000, and your bill is $38.33

Say you use 1200 kWH in a month:

(1200kWH *  $0.0968) + $5.25 = $121.41 and no kickback since you went over 1000, your bill is $121.41

That's a good plan AS LONG AS you stay under 1000kWH.

Link Posted: 5/16/2016 10:41:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Remember - the providers make ALL their money from people who aren't paying attention, let their contracts expire, and go on a month to month plan that really runs up their charges.  I know lots of people who keep their current provider on a month to month plan for years and just get used to it..... which is leaving a lot of your money on the table.

Part of deregulation now puts the responsibility on the consumer, to make sure you are getting the BEST deal possible.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 11:27:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Even though this whole thing is confusing, it's great for prices. I had KCP&L when I lived in Missouri. It was our only option.

My last bill had 224kWh usage and I paid $39.40. That's about 17 cents per kWh if you average in the monthly fee and local taxes.

My highest bill was last summer for $93. I used 606kWh. I highly doubt I will use any more than 700kWh per month in Texas.

Should I expect taxes on my bill in Texas?
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 4:16:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Should I expect taxes on my bill in Texas?
View Quote

Yes, here's an excerpt from a past bill of mine:

Gexa Energy and TDU Charges      $44.57
Sales Tax                                          $0.16
Gross Receipts Reimb.                     $0.32
PUC Assessment                              $0.03
Residential Energy Usage Credit     -$25.00
Amount Due                                      $20.08
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 5:10:51 PM EDT
[#12]
I signed up to energy ogre https://www.energyogre.com/

You pay them $10.00 a month, and they sign you up to whatever energy provider is cheaper.  Based on your historical usage, they will switch you whenever it's cheaper somewhere else.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 7:19:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Signed with reliant, now I'm trying energy ogre...
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 8:12:28 AM EDT
[#14]
I haven't tried it so I can't say yea or nay, but is this paying $10 / month just to be advised of a better rate plan? ...

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 10:08:18 AM EDT
[#15]
There are several things I hate doing: income taxes, investment decisions, applying for a home loan, selecting a electricity service. Both my wife and I are college educated and we still wonder at times- WTF- can this be made MORE difficult?

Pick the lowest one on PowertoChoose? (Shit-things are often hidden and it's not so easy to compare everything). Perhaps the https://www.energyogre.com/ is the way to go, but not sure how you can tell really how much your saving.

I'm just not looking forward when my current contract is up.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 4:15:53 PM EDT
[#16]
I dont see the difficulty.  You sign up for a new plan, put I the start date, set up your autopay, done.  Takes me 15 minutes a year, tops.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 4:45:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Some of us on co-ops get bent over every month. Must be nice to have a choice....
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 4:57:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Some of us on co-ops get bent over every month. Must be nice to have a choice....
View Quote

Every time I compared my rates to someone on a local co-op, they already had a better deal than me.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 5:17:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Every time I compared my rates to someone on a local co-op, they already had a better deal than me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did a thread last year about my energy costs in here. My cost is 1.5x higher than most people's. My average bill last sumer was $325 and that was with the a/c set on 78-80.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 7:07:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I did a thread last year about my energy costs in here. My cost is 1.5x higher than most people's. My average bill last sumer was $325 and that was with the a/c set on 78-80.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ouch.  Sq foot?
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 8:09:25 PM EDT
[#21]
I have had negative bills. I love deregulated power
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 9:27:35 AM EDT
[#22]
I use NEC retail, N stands for Nueces. Haven't compared my bill to other offers though.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 6:36:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Ouch.  Sq foot?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ouch.  Sq foot?

2500sqft.
Granted I just did a power load test a few months ago. Dishwasher, hot water heater, and a/c need to be replaced if I want to lower electric bills. My a/c is a 4 ton and I need a 5 ton unit. Some vents don't have much air coming out and no, there is not a duct obstruction.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 10:11:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Has anyone been able to get usage information from Oncor? I recently moved into my apartment and was curious about winter and summer usage. They would not give me any information over the phone and wanted me to fill out a form (which I cannot seem to locate). I've always been able to call other electric companies and have had no problems getting info over the phone.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 11:44:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Energy Ogre! $10 a month and they play the stupid games with all of these "energy sellers".  I have been using them for a year now and they are awesome.  Anytime I call and can easily talk to a person.  Effectively they switch and move you around to keep your rates low, I have been amazed how good they have been at it for me, many times getting rates that were lower than power to choose.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 1:56:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Energy Ogre checked what I did, said I ended up on a pretty good plan with Reliant, one they use anyway sometimes.  They did not charge me and told to hit them up in 11 months when I was ready to be out of contract.  Def planning to!
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 11:28:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Wish I would have caught this thread earlier in the week, just signed up for a new contract. Shouldn't be awful though. The energy ogre thing looks like it might be worth a shot next time though, interesting!
Link Posted: 6/4/2016 11:02:45 AM EDT
[#28]
I'm going to try energy ogre. Cirro has been pretty good but won't hurt to try the ogre thing and see how it works out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top