Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/2/2016 3:02:43 PM EDT
Hey,

Does anyone from around the DFW area play paintball?  I'm not a professional, but I played at a somewhat competitive level and so playing with random crowds in the "open game" isn't really as interesting to me anymore.

I am looking to put together a group of people to play in a fun, relaxed, team environment, oriented mainly towards speedball/competitive style play using PUMP GUNS.  Some woods ball would be welcome on occasion, but I prefer speedball the most.  The other caveat is that I am looking for this to be a pump gun only team/group.  I've found pump to be more fun, require a little bit more skill, and it lowers the cost significantly.  Even really nice guns are cheaper, air tanks can be smaller/cheaper, and we shoot a lot less paint.

Would anyone be interested, even if you are totally new to the sport?
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 4:34:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Simunitions allowed?
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 5:45:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Simunitions allowed?
View Quote

Haha, I would love to try out simunitions, but I am 100% positive that the fields we will play on will not allow it.  I'm also not certain if the goggles we wear are rated for it.

So for the moment, just paintball.  But that would be a cool group thing to organize, a simunitions day...  I've been told there is a place we can do that in dFW.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 10:38:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Check out Fun on the Run maybe?  http://www.paintballfunontherun.com/

Haven't been there myself but I drive past it frequently.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 11:10:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Haha, I would love to try out simunitions, but I am 100% positive that the fields we will play on will not allow it.  I'm also not certain if the goggles we wear are rated for it.

So for the moment, just paintball.  But that would be a cool group thing to organize, a simunitions day...  I've been told there is a place we can do that in DFW.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Simunitions allowed?

So for the moment, just paintball.  But that would be a cool group thing to organize, a simunitions day...  I've been told there is a place we can do that in DFW.

you may have heard about Clint Bruce's facility
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 9:11:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Simunitions allowed?

Defender Outdoors has a SIMs facility at their range but I don't know it's available to rent.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 10:56:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Check out Fun on the Run maybe?  http://www.paintballfunontherun.com/

Haven't been there myself but I drive past it frequently.
View Quote

Yeah, that will be one of the fields we would be playing at.  The reason I make this post:

-If you just randomly show up to a field, you can play in the "open game", but you'll be lumped in with first timers and kids.  You also don't get to control the pace of the games, and you may sit around a lot in between games.
-There are normally "team practice" fields which teams can play on, without a ref, and at their own pace.
-The team practice fields will have other teams you can play against, but most of them will be playing with high end semi-auto guns
-I prefer playing with pump

So, I'm hoping that I can put together enough people who would want to try running our own group.  If there aren't enough people who already play paintball on this board, I'd be happy to organize a group AR15.com DFW outing where we rent guns, newcomers would be welcome.

I am posting a similar message on other paintball specific forums as well.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 1:14:54 PM EDT
[#7]
I've tried paintball a couple of times. The first time was mostly college students, games went fairly quickly, everybody used rental guns, and it was pretty fun. The second time was split between parents and young kids (10 -12 year olds). The kids all had what appeared to be super high-end equipment and would mostly find a place to hide and never come out. Their equipment way outclassed the rental guns and they were able to hold off anyone that actually discovered their hiding place, because of their much larger range of accurate fire. Games dragged on forever, with a lot of time sitting around. Pretty annoying after a while.

Both experiences were with large teams with no teamwork, strategy or communication. Pretty much every man for himself, spray and pray, and going through tons of paint balls. But it seemed like the potential was there to have a lot of fun under the right conditions.  Obviously I'm a total paintball amateur, but if you don't mind that, and If you are able to get something organized, I would be interested in trying it out again.

Link Posted: 5/3/2016 1:25:04 PM EDT
[#8]
I used to play when I lived in NJ.  I was a fan of pump guns too for all the reasons you mention.  It was frustrating to go up against guys with 7K worth of equipment and ammo (who also, by the way, drove $1,500 cars and lived with their moms at age 35).  Then I found the solution - the right camouflage.  I alternated between a ghillie suit and a Mossy Oak pattern, both which would allow me to lay on the ground and have opponents practically step on me.  I can't tell you the satisfaction of shooting one of those high end players in the back after they've walked right past you.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 2:36:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I've tried paintball a couple of times. The first time was mostly college students, games went fairly quickly, everybody used rental guns, and it was pretty fun. The second time was split between parents and young kids (10 -12 year olds). The kids all had what appeared to be super high-end equipment and would mostly find a place to hide and never come out. Their equipment way outclassed the rental guns and they were able to hold off anyone that actually discovered their hiding place, because of their much larger range of accurate fire. Games dragged on forever, with a lot of time sitting around. Pretty annoying after a while.

Both experiences were with large teams with no teamwork, strategy or communication. Pretty much every man for himself, spray and pray, and going through tons of paint balls. But it seemed like the potential was there to have a lot of fun under the right conditions.  Obviously I'm a total paintball amateur, but if you don't mind that, and If you are able to get something organized, I would be interested in trying it out again.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Total amateurs are absolutely welcome.  I say "competitive" only because it indicates a certain style of play, not necessarily the skill level or experience.  I will send you a message.  Keep in mind, I am super busy during the work week so I may not get back to you right away, but I will definitely get in touch.

Quoted:
I used to play when I lived in NJ.  I was a fan of pump guns too for all the reasons you mention.  It was frustrating to go up against guys with 7K worth of equipment and ammo (who also, by the way, drove $1,500 cars and lived with their moms at age 35).  Then I found the solution - the right camouflage.  I alternated between a ghillie suit and a Mossy Oak pattern, both which would allow me to lay on the ground and have opponents practically step on me.  I can't tell you the satisfaction of shooting one of those high end players in the back after they've walked right past you.

Haha, agreed.  I HATE the huge focus on gear and the oversized hoppers, air tanks, and complexity of the guns is not really exciting to me.  There is nothing better than leading a target running laterally and with 1 shot, blasting them in the face.  WAY more satisfying than spraying a rope of paint and letting someone run into it.  I don't play much woodsball anymore, but I'm open to it.  I'll get in touch with you via PM.  Like I mentioned before, I'm pretty busy during the week but I will absolutely get in touch.

Thanks for the responses guys!  If you have any friends who are also interested, the more the merrier.  A big squad of us makes it fun so that we can play against ourselves and not have to deal with kids, cheaters, crazy fast shooting semi-auto setups, etc.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 10:02:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Heh, I used to resemble yalls remarks....

Automag RT, with a remote 114cu 3K nitrogen tank, Warp Feed, agitating hopper, ZGrip and 600 extra rounds on my back.  Was nice because the warp feed provided positive feeding into the chamber at any angle.  Also with the feed and hopper mounted on the side of the gun, only the barrel and my forehead would be visible around my cover.  So I could lean over left or right and shoot from any angle.

Used to buy paint by the pallet with the 4 other guys I played with all the time.  Spent enough at the store that they let us play for free on their fields.  We weren't pro, just good enough that they would pit us 5 against the large groups who came to play on weekends (used to be Paintball Games of Dallas before they got bought out by National).  When we did play against pros (Texas Diamondbacks, if memory serves), we could only hold our own for so long.

Sadly, I sold all my gear years ago when I discovered real guns cost less.  Haven't played in years.  Don't really have the time or funds for yet another hobby, but I do miss it sometimes.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 2:18:57 PM EDT
[#11]
i play occasional at fort. I used to do tournys etc back in the day. Not really into woodsball always played speedball. I've got a solid collection going  angels,cockers,dm's,timmy's and one cheapo trilogy pump. I'de be up for meeting up and playing some walk ons etc i'm not that serious about it anymore but its still fun.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 3:42:02 PM EDT
[#12]
I played a few low end tornaments back in highschool, and still have my old classic Timmy but no tank or mask. I'd be up for an informal get together, I like the pump idea.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 5:29:39 PM EDT
[#13]
I thought paintball was dead.  Would cost more money than I want to spend to get either gun I own functioning again.  I don't think I've shot either since '06.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:13:31 AM EDT
[#14]
I've not forgotten about this, just been extremely busy the past few weeks.  I will start putting things together this weekend for those that are interested and find out the best way for us to communicate.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 1:11:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I've not forgotten about this, just been extremely busy the past few weeks.  I will start putting things together this weekend for those that are interested and find out the best way for us to communicate.
View Quote

Where about's are you wanting to play?
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 2:17:20 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm overweight and out of shape.. this sounds like a good way to fix that, depending on where the meetups are.

Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:07:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'm overweight and out of shape.. this sounds like a good way to fix that, depending on where the meetups are.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yep, good way to get some exercise for sure. You can be wiped out at the end of a day. As for meet ups...

Quoted:
Where about's are you wanting to play?

I figure that we will be from all over the place. At first, I think we ought to rotate to different fields around dfw. That way we try out different places and although we may go out of our way for one day, we won't every time due to rotating.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 2:01:42 AM EDT
[#18]
I have sent everyone that expressed interest, an email and an IM.  I'm talking with folks across a few different forums and people that I know personally, so communicating here going forward will be difficult.  I'm setting up a Facebook group but I'm also going to use email if needed for those who don't like or don't want Facebook.

If you know anyone who is interested, please feel free to pass along the info and/or get me in touch with them via email.  My next steps:

1) Compile the list of everyone interested
2) Pick a date and location
3) Organize for rentals guns if needed
4) Send out event notification and collect RSVP's

We'll probably be doing this on a Saturday or Sunday, but there is a field running games at night on Friday nights which I will look into.  Any questions, feel free to post here!
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 8:50:25 AM EDT
[#19]
I used to play paintball every weekend in MA. Mostly recball and scenario games (including big events like Castle Conquest, OK D-Day).
Moved to Austin and the paintball scene is a joke. Prices are more than double what I used to pay, and crowds are less than a tenth the size of what I saw in MA.

I've had some luck with airsoft. It's at least more people and more reasonably priced. Airsoft and woodsball really are the same game, just don't tell the airsofters that or they'll try to burn you at the stake.

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 11:27:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I played a few low end tornaments back in highschool, and still have my old classic Timmy but no tank or mask. I'd be up for an informal get together, I like the pump idea.
View Quote

most fields have a hpa tank and mask you can rent. THat is if your gun works lol. Fort has a pb tech named ryan if it needs to get worked on. I would reccomend Fort pb its $20 all day air and field fee. Also its about the only field left that is byop most places want you to use house paint at $50-60 a case (walmart, academy has descent paint for $30)
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 12:03:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

most fields have a hpa tank and mask you can rent. THat is if your gun works lol. Fort has a pb tech named ryan if it needs to get worked on. I would reccomend Fort pb its $20 all day air and field fee. Also its about the only field left that is byop most places want you to use house paint at $50-60 a case (walmart, academy has descent paint for $30)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Once I get a head count and an idea of where everyone lives, we'll choose a field.  Pump play is really specific, so many rental fields won't have the pump guns we would need, but that's okay.

What we will do is probably just get normal semi-auto rentals for those that need them and have everyone play (unless of course, the fields have good pump guns).  If people have fun and they like it, I'll bring info on purchasing good pumps and gear (tank, mask, pack, pods, etc) or they can just continue to rent or borrow until they get the cash to do so.  The main thing is getting us together first, having fun, and we'll figure out the details as we go.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 11:39:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Once I get a head count and an idea of where everyone lives, we'll choose a field.  Pump play is really specific, so many rental fields won't have the pump guns we would need, but that's okay.

What we will do is probably just get normal semi-auto rentals for those that need them and have everyone play (unless of course, the fields have good pump guns).  If people have fun and they like it, I'll bring info on purchasing good pumps and gear (tank, mask, pack, pods, etc) or they can just continue to rent or borrow until they get the cash to do so.  The main thing is getting us together first, having fun, and we'll figure out the details as we go.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ya doing semi would be alot easier to start. Don't know of any fields that rent pumps it's pretty niche.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 7:45:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Ya doing semi would be alot easier to start. Don't know of any fields that rent pumps it's pretty niche.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you want to avoid an arms race and give the rentals a chance, think about doing a mech-only games. Get rid of the electro guns that are doing 10+ bps and you eliminate most (not all) of the paintball arms race.

Pump is kind of like the skinny-jean metro hipsters of paintball. Not as bad as stock class though, but close.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 9:20:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

If you want to avoid an arms race and give the rentals a chance, think about doing a mech-only games. Get rid of the electro guns that are doing 10+ bps and you eliminate most (not all) of the paintball arms race.

Pump is kind of like the skinny-jean metro hipsters of paintball. Not as bad as stock class though, but close.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is how we make it even...

Link Posted: 5/26/2016 12:06:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Haha, I used to play stock class but there's too much damn reloading and 12g co2 cartridges are silly.

It's not that I want to avoid an arms race, I really don't care who/what guns I play against.  I just find it to be a lot more fun than semi auto play, not to mention cheaper (paint, tanks, no cost of hopper, higher end guns are quite affordable like the phantom or sniper).

If folks don't dig the pump scene but want to get into mechanical only that's fine.  But, I'm specifically trying to build a pump community in DFW.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 12:34:30 PM EDT
[#26]
They do a good job of splitting up rentals and people with "high end guns" if the group is large enough then it would be rental only probably. Either way i have cockers so wtvr is clever lol.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top