Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2016 7:17:27 PM EDT

I'm so bummed. I've been going to The Rig since the first day I moved to Fort Worth.
The owner, Simon Tarsha, passed away about 18 months ago and I guess his family just doesn't want to mess with it anymore. There are people who frequent The Rig Saloon who have become like family to me as well as have a number of the great employees.
This will leave a big hole in inexpensive eating in this part of town...and one of the great lounges in Fort Worth.

http://www.star-telegram.com/living/food-drink/article74769402.html

Link Posted: 4/30/2016 9:29:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I threw up by the front door.
RIP The Rig.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 10:49:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
RIP The Rig.
View Quote

I was just about to say "Oh the memories". But it sounds like your memories were even better than mine!
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 11:34:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I was just about to say "Oh the memories". But it sounds like your memories were even better than mine!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
RIP The Rig.

Company Christmas Party.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 11:40:27 PM EDT
[#4]
That sucks.

I just saw this place on my way out to DSG last week and thought "one of these nights I'm going to try that place".

Guess not.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:34:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Another landmark gone.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:35:04 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

RIP The Rig.

View Quote
We should buy the tower for your zip line.

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:41:46 AM EDT
[#7]
I've been here for 16 years.  I always thought it was a sleazy strip club.

I've never heard one person say they had eaten there until I read this post.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:55:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
RIP The Rig.

Yes!
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 9:51:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

How could you live somewhere for 16 years and not visit the sleazy strip club?
I call BS

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:10:44 PM EDT
[#10]
honestly, i thought it closed several years ago.  of course by that way much since I moved off that exit..
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 2:33:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

There are a couple of gentleman's clubs on the other side of 35
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 3:07:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've eaten there and I was never really that impressed with the food. There are much better places to get a decent meal in Fort Worth.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 7:21:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Good riddance...
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 8:01:41 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I'm so bummed. I've been going to The Rig since the first day I moved to Fort Worth.

The owner, Simon Tarsha, passed away about 18 months ago and I guess his family just doesn't want to mess with it anymore. There are people who frequent The Rig Saloon who have become like family to me as well as have a number of the great employees.

This will leave a big hole in inexpensive eating in this part of town...and one of the great lounges in Fort Worth.

http://www.star-telegram.com/living/food-drink/euxmk0/picture74769392/ALTERNATES/FREE_480/Rig1

View Quote
I didn't know you leave kind of close by.

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 9:10:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I call BS

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I call BS

Well not this particular one... we have quite a few here
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 8:15:42 AM EDT
[#16]
I have eaten there a few times.  Not "great" food, but not the worst Ive had either.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 8:53:38 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://www.star-telegram.com/living/food-drink/euxmk0/picture74769392/ALTERNATES/FREE_480/Rig1

Yeah, I actually like about 1 1/2 miles from the place.

I've talked to the owner's representative a couple times about acquiring a lease with an option to purchase on the place. I have no doubt I could turn it around and make it viable again.

They got into a rut some years back and relied on frozen pre-made food instead of making fresh stuff from scratch (which is cheaper and better). The saloon hasn't even had draft beer in several years. So many mistakes.  

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:58:38 PM EDT
[#18]
I have eaten there several times; but I am guessing it has been 7 to 10 years ago. I liked it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 10:28:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I've talked to the owner's representative a couple times about acquiring a lease with an option to purchase on the place. I have no doubt I could turn it around and make it viable again.

They got into a rut some years back and relied on frozen pre-made food instead of making fresh stuff from scratch (which is cheaper and better). The saloon hasn't even had draft beer in several years. So many mistakes.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think the location killed the place. It has become a shitty area and the building itself is in a weird location.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 8:54:44 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I think the location killed the place. It has become a shitty area and the building itself is in a weird location.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I blame the Waffle House.

Link Posted: 5/3/2016 3:54:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree on the location. That area has been going downhill for sometime; right next to the aforementioned Waffle House and a no tell motel. The surrounding neighborhood sucks and TX DOT moved the Alta Mesa exit much farther north than it was before to fix some traffic issues so it's kind of confusing to find the place if your a first time visitor.

ETA: move it closer to Burleson and you might have a winning location.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 4:31:56 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I agree on the location. That area has been going downhill for sometime; right next to the aforementioned Waffle House and a no tell motel. The surrounding neighborhood sucks and TX DOT moved the Alta Mesa exit much farther north than it was before to fix some traffic issues so it's kind of confusing to find the place if your a first time visitor.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree that moving the exit farther down past Alta Mesa had a major impact on business. As to the neighborhood, it's always been sketchy. Hell, they have stolen the AC condensers right off of the roof a couple times.

That said, any given Sunday up until a week ago found the restaurant filled to capacity with the after church crowd and a steady lunch and dinner crowd on other days. People will go out of their way to get a $9.00 steak dinner.

IMHO, after the owner died his family didn't have the desire or the expertise to make money with the place. They began using prepackaged frozen food and kept karaoke in the bar every night. They used to have live music on weekends and only had karaoke once a week during the week.

Any food and beverage operation is a challenge and a full time gig...and Simon's kids just didn't have the conviction to carry on in his footsteps.

Still, I'm sad to see it go. Rumor is it has now sold and after renovations will be re-opened by new owners.

Link Posted: 5/3/2016 10:04:11 PM EDT
[#23]
I ate there several times when I lived in the area.

Everything changes I guess.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 5:42:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Nope.
Singing and live music suck at restaurants
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 8:26:02 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Nope.

Singing and live music suck at restaurants
View Quote
The bar/saloon is separate from the restaurant. Actually, it's two different addresses and has two different licenses.

Link Posted: 5/9/2016 10:34:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Been in Fort Worth 13 years now and have driven by it a million times as I live just a few miles south of it and I've never been.

Oh well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top