Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/29/2016 9:09:15 AM EDT
I had a couple of items to pick up at the grocery store last night, and happened to be carrying openly with my shirt tucked in.  The Kroger on El Camino and Seafoam is close to my house and I've OC'd there before with no issues.  They are not posted with either 30.06 or 30.07 signs, or even the useless gunbuster signs.  

This time, another customer apparently saw me carrying and went off to ask one of the employees if they allowed people to carry guns in the store.  The customer then came to find me, and said that an employee had told him that carry was not allowed (I did not witness this exchange myself).  After confirming that he was just another customer and not someone with apparent authority to act for the store owner, I politely thanked him for letting me know, told him that I was licensed to carry and that carrying openly was perfectly legal, but that I would ask the manager, and went on my way.  

After putting my bag of groceries in the car, I did just that - found the manager, told her what had transpired, and asked her whether the other customer was correct.  She confirmed that that particular store has a policy against customers legally carrying firearms, whether concealed or openly, but that they also tell their employees not to ask anybody to leave, but instead to call the constable and have him tell them to leave.  She told me that this policy was because seeing a gun "scares people."  After thanking her the clarification, I reassured her that licensees are some of the most law-abiding people in the country and very un-scary, told her that I could not shop at her store anymore, and left.  The constable never did show up.  

This whole encounter surprised me a bit, given that Kroger's corporate policy has always been to defer to state laws and not to try to enforce politics on their customers.  This is the right way to deal with it, IMO, and it's one reason why I shop at Kroger.  This store is evidently diverging from that policy and blazing their own trail.  

So, for any arfcommers with LTC's, I suggest avoiding the Kroger on El Camino and taking your money to another store.  If enough people do, and tell them why, maybe the policy will be changed.  I'm also going to try to get in touch with Kroger corporate and make them aware that this store is not following the corporate policy and is costing them customers.

Update on Pg 2.  That manager was full of it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 9:51:12 AM EDT
[#1]
So they have a policy against it but it's not posted at the entrances?
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 9:54:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Correct. I rechecked the entrance just to be sure - no signage present.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 9:56:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Talk to the GM and see if they say the same thing.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 10:17:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like the manager has gone off reservation.
Hope you name her in your inquiry to corporate.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 10:31:00 AM EDT
[#5]
I called a local restaurant where an event was being held that I HAD to attend, and asked if they were posted 30.06. The "manager" on the phone said they were. I went without a gun at all as you had to valet park as part of the event. I got there, no signage at all. I am not sure the person on the phone understood what I was asking, as English was obviously not their native language.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 2:33:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Kroger corp policy is to follow local laws and they allow the legal carry of firearms in all stores.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/03/25/kroger-cfo-we-reject-moms-demand-actions-push-to-disarm-our-customers/

If you complain up the chain someone might lose their job.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 2:44:28 PM EDT
[#7]
First it might be best to talk to the GM of the store and see what he says. If he mirrors what the manager you spoke to said then I would take that to the corporate office.

Even if that store is a franchise they are more than likely going to have to stick with the wishing of the corporate office.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 2:52:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Kroger corp policy is to follow local laws and they allow the legal carry of firearms in all stores.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/03/25/kroger-cfo-we-reject-moms-demand-actions-push-to-disarm-our-customers/

View Quote

I certainly plan to.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 3:53:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
First it might be best to talk to the GM of the store and see what he says. If he mirrors what the manager you spoke to said then I would take that to the corporate office.

Even if that store is a franchise they are more than likely going to have to stick with the wishing of the corporate office.
View Quote

Krogers are all company owned. In Arizona they used the name 'Fry's' open carried in there all the time and saw quite a few others. It never scared anyone seeing an openly carried handgun.

Was she an assistant (most grocery stores have 3rd, 2nd and first assistant managers, not counting produce and meat dept. managers)  or the actual store manager?  
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 4:04:35 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I had a couple of items to pick up at the grocery store last night, and happened to be carrying openly with my shirt tucked in.  The Kroger on El Camino and Seafoam is close to my house and I've OC'd there before with no issues.  They are not posted with either 30.06 or 30.07 signs, or even the useless gunbuster signs.  

This time, another customer apparently saw me carrying and went off to ask one of the employees if they allowed people to carry guns in the store.  The customer then came to find me, and said that an employee had told him that carry was not allowed (I did not witness this exchange myself).  After confirming that he was just another customer and not someone with apparent authority to act for the store owner, I politely thanked him for letting me know, told him that I was licensed to carry and that carrying openly was perfectly legal, but that I would ask the manager, and went on my way.  

After putting my bag of groceries in the car, I did just that - found the manager, told her what had transpired, and asked her whether the other customer was correct.  She confirmed that that particular store has a policy against customers legally carrying firearms, whether concealed or openly, but that they also tell their employees not to ask anybody to leave, but instead to call the constable and have him tell them to leave.  She told me that this policy was because seeing a gun "scares people."  After thanking her the clarification, I reassured her that licensees are some of the most law-abiding people in the country and very un-scary, told her that I could not shop at her store anymore, and left.  The constable never did show up.  

This whole encounter surprised me a bit, given that Kroger's corporate policy has always been to defer to state laws and not to try to enforce politics on their customers.  This is the right way to deal with it, IMO, and it's one reason why I shop at Kroger.  This store is evidently diverging from that policy and blazing their own trail.  

So, for any arfcommers with LTC's, I suggest avoiding the Kroger on El Camino and taking your money to another store.  If enough people do, and tell them why, maybe the policy will be changed.  I'm also going to try to get in touch with Kroger corporate and make them aware that this store is not following the corporate policy and is costing them customers.
View Quote

Saw news clip that Houston's county just went over 50% democrat.

So you surprised?

Local elections are hugely important.  It looks like Houston is just another AUSTIN now in Texas.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 9:01:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

I live just down El Camino from the store and have shopped there a lot.

Never seen any sign of any kind.  

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 9:10:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Interesting. 30.06/07 is only valid if:

(b)  For purposes of this section, a person receives notice if the owner of the property or someone with apparent authority to act for the owner provides notice to the person by oral or written communication.

While I am sure the Constable will think they manager has authority, in ALL places I have worked, managers do NOT have authority to override corporate policy.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 9:16:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The Kroger on El Camino and Seafoam is close to my house and I've OC'd there before with no issues.  They are not posted with either 30.06 or 30.07 signs, or even the useless gunbuster signs.  

After putting my bag of groceries in the car, I did just that - found the manager, told her what had transpired, and asked her whether the other customer was correct. She confirmed that that particular store has a policy against customers legally carrying firearms, whether concealed or openly, but that they also tell their employees not to ask anybody to leave, but instead to call the constable and have him tell them to leave. .
View Quote

WTF would you do that?

If you never had a issue, why go looking for one? Based on what some dumb-shit anti-gun customer said?

You played stupid games, you won stupid prizes.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 9:35:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

WTF would you do that?

If you never had a issue, why go looking for one? Based on what some dumb-shit anti-gun customer said?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Kroger on El Camino and Seafoam is close to my house and I've OC'd there before with no issues.  They are not posted with either 30.06 or 30.07 signs, or even the useless gunbuster signs.  

After putting my bag of groceries in the car, I did just that - found the manager, told her what had transpired, and asked her whether the other customer was correct. She confirmed that that particular store has a policy against customers legally carrying firearms, whether concealed or openly, but that they also tell their employees not to ask anybody to leave, but instead to call the constable and have him tell them to leave. .

WTF would you do that?

Its hard to win an argument with a smart person, and its impossible to win an argument with a stupid one.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 10:20:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Interesting. 30.06/07 is only valid if:

(b)  For purposes of this section, a person receives notice if the owner of the property or someone with apparent authority to act for the owner provides notice to the person by oral or written communication.

While I am sure the Constable will think they manager has authority, in ALL places I have worked, managers do NOT have authority to override corporate policy.
View Quote

Has the attorney general clarified with a legal opinion as to who in a store has "apparent authority to act for the owner"??
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 11:06:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

WTF would you do that?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

WTF would you do that?

In order to either out the customer as an anti-gun liar, or out the store making up rules in conflict with Kroger's stated policies.  In this case, it was the latter.  

I wasn't doing anything illegal or even questionable - there's no reason to allow ambiguity to stand.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 11:11:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Krogers are all company owned. In Arizona they used the name 'Fry's' open carried in there all the time and saw quite a few others. It never scared anyone seeing an openly carried handgun.

Was she an assistant (most grocery stores have 3rd, 2nd and first assistant managers, not counting produce and meat dept. managers)  or the actual store manager?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This was at about 8:30PM, so she may very well have been an assistant manager.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 12:08:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most likely a first or second.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 1:11:04 AM EDT
[#19]
So you encountered a rogue employee trying to override company policy or possibly ignorant of it and just making shit up as they go? Lol.

Calm down, pursue a conversation with the gm or submit an inquiry online to explain. Someone will be getting a remedial course in company policies and procedures as a result.

Making and overdramatic thread here certainly will accomplish a lot
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 7:44:50 AM EDT
[#20]

If a business is not posted I'm carrying
If some random asshat comes up to me, they can suck it until a business representative approaches me.
I'm sure not going to seek them out.

OP, with all due respect that busybody customer owned you.

Link Posted: 4/30/2016 9:28:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Up until recently I used to shop there al the time as i lived right behind it. I have since moved but... I have never seen any proper signs displayed anywhere. Sounds like it was a employee trying to enforce their own policy over store.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 9:51:43 PM EDT
[#22]
I open carry in a few Krogers in the DFW area with zero issues. And I know I've been seen doing it, a few weeks ago a woman had a seizure in the pharmacy and sadly I was the only person that made any effort to help her. (she's okay and even sent me a thank you card )
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 9:56:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Call corporate and someone will probably get in trouble and they should.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 9:47:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I open carry in a few Krogers in the DFW area with zero issues. And I know I've been seen doing it, a few weeks ago a woman had a seizure in the pharmacy and sadly I was the only person that made any effort to help her. (she's okay and even sent me a thank you card )
View Quote

Good job!

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 9:55:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Employees can be wrong.  This happened at a McDonald's a couple of weeks ago when I was picking up breakfast. I have open carried here dozens of times and half the time cops and a manager are there and no one batted an eye. There is no sign up either.

The same cashier who has served my orders for months asks me.

Cashier: is that a gun?

Me: yes

Cashier: you can't bring that in here.

Me: yes I can. I'll have an egg white delight

She paused and continued to ring it up. I have been back since and no issues again.

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 11:24:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Employees can be wrong.  This happened at a McDonald's a couple of weeks ago when I was picking up breakfast. I have open carried here dozens of times and half the time cops and a manager are there and no me batted an eye. There is no sign up either.

She paused and continued to ring it up. I have been back since and no issues again.

View Quote

Was your cashier American or imigrent? Most people in other counties only see uniformed police/military carrying guns.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 12:51:13 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Was your cashier American or imigrent? Most people in other counties only see uniformed police/military carrying guns.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Employees can be wrong.  This happened at a McDonald's a couple of weeks ago when I was picking up breakfast. I have open carried here dozens of times and half the time cops and a manager are there and no me batted an eye. There is no sign up either.

She was an American.  She has seen me come in many, many times and served my orders.  
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 2:07:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
She was an American.  She has seen me come in many, many times and served my orders.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like she is pretty stupid, there has been enough on the news that open carry is legal in Texas. Contact her manager.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 2:09:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Sounds like she is pretty stupid, there has been enough on the news that open carry is legal in Texas. Contact her manager.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cashier at McDonalds doesn't require a PHD
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 3:51:04 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've been there many times since and no issue.  Hell she has served my order several times before that day with no issue.

She must have been on her period and was being a bitch.  

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 4:40:04 PM EDT
[#31]
OP should have recorded the conversation, between himself, the customer and the "manager" for future reference in regards to what is Kroger's official policy, even in vertical video.

When I ask people to clarify what they are saying and to acknowledge that they are a duly authorized representative of their company speaking in official capacity regarding corporate policies suddenly many do not have much to say.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 6:40:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is why you don't ask.  Until you sought out the manager, you were not given notice.  

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:46:30 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
This is why you don't ask.  Until you sought out the manager, you were not given notice.  
View Quote

I agree, a customer cannot give effective notice because they lack apparent authority to act for the owner.  I disagree about asking - if a particular business wants to exclude me, I'd rather know about it so that I can either convince them to change the policy or stop giving them my money.  

I'm still working on getting hold of the GM for the store, or their corporate leadership chain.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 11:35:07 AM EDT
[#34]
UPDATE: I was able to talk with the store general manager today, and she confirmed that the manager-on-duty that I spoke to Thursday was acting on her own and making stuff up.  The store policy mirrors Kroger's corporate policy of deferring to state and local laws - there is no prohibition against licensees lawfully carrying handguns in the store.  

The GM apologized for the other manager's actions and promised to talk with her about it.  She also said that she will hold a staff meeting to reinforce to all employees that it is not a cause for concern to see a person merely carrying a holstered pistol, and not to call the police or have the person removed unless there is some actual threat involved.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 12:06:03 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

UPDATE: I was able to talk with the store general manager today, and she confirmed that the manager-on-duty that I spoke to Thursday was acting on her own and making stuff up.  The store policy mirrors Kroger's corporate policy of deferring to state and local laws - there is no prohibition against licensees lawfully carrying handguns in the store.  

The GM apologized for the other manager's actions and promised to talk with her about it.  She also said that she will hold a staff meeting to reinforce to all employees that it is not a cause for concern to see a person merely carrying a holstered pistol, and not to call the police or have the person removed unless there is some actual threat involved.
View Quote
That's good news.  Your experience is similar to the one I had I suppose.  Just because one of the employees said it, it's not necessarily company policy.

Thanks for the update.  I go down to that Kroger from time to time.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 2:26:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Good response from the GM, and Kroger as a whole.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 3:20:48 PM EDT
[#37]
GM of the one I go to in LC asked where I shoot and if I could recommend a CHL instructor.  Thought it was odd he asked, then realized I was OC'ing by accident after putting Toddler in the shopping cart
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top