User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 4:55:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just an FYI -

There are 2 different and separate things used to determine how much money is taken for taxes:
- the property appraisal
- the tax rate

The appraisal and rate are controlled by different government offices.
- property appraisals are done by the appraisal district (usually by the county appraisal district)
- tax rate is determined by the various tax authorities (school district, county, city, and often other tax authorities)

Most often when appraisals go down like many did in '08-'09, the RATE was increased to keep the tax revenue steady.

A while back, I remember a politician promised and delivered a tax rate reduction. HOWEVER.... appraisals were raised and most everyone was charged the same or more for their "reduced" property taxes

When people complained, fingers were pointed to the other office. "There's nothing we can do, it wasn't us... We're innocent!"
View Quote

We know this.  

What we really should be bitching about is bonds.  Every time you turn around some school district is trying to get a bond passed by (some) voters, with the promise that it won't raise taxes.  Well, where the fuck does the money come from to pay it back?  We're not that stupid, we didn't go to school here.    

Lately, they have been having voting for bonds around here at different schools on different nights, as well as on a Saturday, at some non disclosed place.  They are not publicized well, to hopefully discourage voters who would vote against the bond proposal.  Sometimes it works, sometimes not.  Anywhoo, my point is, take a look at the amount of taxes paid to the school district, then take a look at the amount of taxes paid to run the rest of the county.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 5:26:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

We know this.  

What we really should be bitching about is bonds.  Every time you turn around some school district is trying to get a bond passed by (some) voters, with the promise that it won't raise taxes.  Well, where the fuck does the money come from to pay it back?  We're not that stupid, we didn't go to school here.    

Lately, they have been having voting for bonds around here at different schools on different nights, as well as on a Saturday, at some non disclosed place.  They are not publicized well, to hopefully discourage voters who would vote against the bond proposal.  Sometimes it works, sometimes not.  Anywhoo, my point is, take a look at the amount of taxes paid to the school district, then take a look at the amount of taxes paid to run the rest of the county.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just an FYI -

There are 2 different and separate things used to determine how much money is taken for taxes:
- the property appraisal
- the tax rate

- property appraisals are done by the appraisal district (usually by the county appraisal district)
- tax rate is determined by the various tax authorities (school district, county, city, and often other tax authorities)

Most often when appraisals go down like many did in '08-'09, the RATE was increased to keep the tax revenue steady.

A while back, I remember a politician promised and delivered a tax rate reduction. HOWEVER.... appraisals were raised and most everyone was charged the same or more for their "reduced" property taxes

When people complained, fingers were pointed to the other office. "There's nothing we can do, it wasn't us... We're innocent!"

We know this.  

Indeed.  I vote against the bonds every time....but when it comes down to 4382 for and 3811 against and there are bigger problems when a fraction of the people living in the area actually get out and vote.

Link Posted: 5/11/2016 8:37:08 PM EDT
[#3]
McKinney's gotta pay for that $63M high school stadium somehow
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 8:54:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I bought my place last year and thus did not have a homestead exemption in place. My property value in Denton County jumped 15% from 2014 to 2015. Luckily I have my exemption in place now in addition to my veterans disability portion. I shouldn't see any change for this year from last years numbers in regards to the total taxes I pay.
View Quote

How's the veteran's disability portion work?

I'm not a veteran, but my folks might find it useful.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:41:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

We know this.  

What we really should be bitching about is bonds. Every time you turn around some school district is trying to get a bond passed by (some) voters, with the promise that it won't raise taxes.  Well, where the fuck does the money come from to pay it back?  We're not that stupid, we didn't go to school here.    

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just an FYI -

- the property appraisal
- the tax rate

We know this.  

What we really should be bitching about is bonds. Every time you turn around some school district is trying to get a bond passed by (some) voters, with the promise that it won't raise taxes.  Well, where the fuck does the money come from to pay it back?  We're not that stupid, we didn't go to school here.    

That is the exact tactic PISD is using now to justify a bond a $500M+ bond package that will put hte district debt over $1B.  It's insane
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 7:55:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

I voted against that crap. They advertised heavy pushing it. That's a stupid about of money for high school sports. Maybe put 50 million into something that improves the education of the students.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 11:01:38 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I voted against that crap. They advertised heavy pushing it. That's a stupid about of money for high school sports. Maybe put 50 million into something that improves the education of the students.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I must've left before or just never really saw/heard anything about it (aside from a small headline on Facebook).  How the heck did they sell a $63M high school stadium to the voters?  Thankfully we are/were in FISD...but they're probably next

Link Posted: 5/12/2016 1:04:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I must've left before or just never really saw/heard anything about it (aside from a small headline on Facebook).  How the heck did they sell a $63M high school stadium to the voters?  Thankfully we are/were in FISD...but they're probably next

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They were all over facebook and other places pushing it. Saying how horrible the old stadium was. And telling everyone we really need a new one for all the poor students that will fail in life if they don't get a new one. They were trying to say that if it was approved taxes would go down.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 1:13:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I bought my place last year and thus did not have a homestead exemption in place. My property value in Denton County jumped 15% from 2014 to 2015. Luckily I have my exemption in place now in addition to my veterans disability portion. I shouldn't see any change for this year from last years numbers in regards to the total taxes I pay.

From the Hays CAD website:

DISABLED VETERANS EXEMPTION

A Disabled Veteran Exemption is available to disabled veterans and their survivors. The amount of the exemption received varies with the extent of the disabilities, ranging from $5,000 to $12,000. This exemption is not required to be on your residence homestead, it may be applied to any property you own in the State of Texas, and you must be a Texas resident. Certain disabled veterans are eligible for a total exemption for their residence homestead. Documentation from the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) must be submitted indicating (1) 100% disability compensation due to a service connected disability; and (2) a rating of 100% disabled or a determination of individual unemployability from the VA. Attach copy of your award letter or documentation from the VA to the application. The surviving spouse exemption of a qualifying 100% or unemployable disabled veteran became effective January 1, 2012. You may qualify for this exemption if you were married to a disabled veteran who qualified for an exemption under Tax Code 11.131 at the time of their death and: (1) you have not remarried since the death of the disabled veteran and (2) the property was your residence homestead when the disabled veteran died and remains your residence homestead.

I believe the amount is equal to your VA disability rating percentage.  Also, the exemption doesn't apply to your total property tax bill, just parts of it.  If your folks (or anyone else reading this) has a VA disability rating then they should apply for the exemption as it will help some.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 3:11:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

At least the sport's stadiums generate some amount of revenue to help pay for themselves.  Don't get me wrong they are a collosal waste but PISD one upped everyone.  This bond package includes $70M for a performing arts center that will cost $500k per year just to maintain.  

Back on topic I looked at my neighbors taxes and they were raised across the board from 6-10%.  The kicker is the only house on the street that sold this year went for less than the CAD appraised is for.    I'm hoping we can get ours reduced.  

Link Posted: 5/12/2016 3:41:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

I saw that!  That is fucking nuts and a complete waste of tax payer money.  It now beats out Allen as the most expensive in the country.  Good to know that the massive education portion of property taxes actually goes to education....
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 8:23:27 PM EDT
[#12]
I am surprised it took this long after Allen for neighboring ISDs to start out  Jonesing each other. Frisco at least was able to get the Cowboys to pay for it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 12:23:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Appeal filed online 5/11
Settlement Offer received 5/12...4% reduction on a 10% increase

Link Posted: 5/13/2016 1:26:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I am surprised it took this long after Allen for neighboring ISDs to start out  Jonesing each other. Frisco at least was able to get the Cowboys to pay for it.
View Quote

Um, no they didn't - the City paid 60 of the 90 million dollar project  "Under the terms of the deal, the city and the school district will each put in $30 million for the stadium and parking structure. Both will draw their share from the revenue generated through a tax increment financing district formed years ago around the Stonebriar Centre mall.
http://www.dallasnews.com/news/community-news/frisco/headlines/20130812-115-million-deal-with-dallas-cowboys-to-anchor-development.ece

As far as FISD goes - we're screwed with the currently school board and Mayor running the show:
http://friscoblog.dallasnews.com/2016/05/frisco-isd-likely-to-ask-voters-for-13-cent-property-tax-hike-in-special-election-in-august.html/
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 3:30:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Um, no they didn't - the City paid 60 of the 90 million dollar project  "Under the terms of the deal, the city and the school district will each put in $30 million for the stadium and parking structure. Both will draw their share from the revenue generated through a tax increment financing district formed years ago around the Stonebriar Centre mall.
http://www.dallasnews.com/news/community-news/frisco/headlines/20130812-115-million-deal-with-dallas-cowboys-to-anchor-development.ece

As far as FISD goes - we're screwed with the currently school board and Mayor running the show:
http://friscoblog.dallasnews.com/2016/05/frisco-isd-likely-to-ask-voters-for-13-cent-property-tax-hike-in-special-election-in-august.html/
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Haha should have assumed Jerry would screw them. Frisco dumbasses doddnt even learn from Arlington!
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 8:26:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well my little Jonny Special Snowflake is going to be a pro someday. I mean we have paid to have him in select sports since he was 2, you would be depriving him of his chance to be somebody without the "support" of the entire community. Blah blah blah. Never understood the false adulation of athletic programs, and their participants here in Texas. Just my .02
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 11:13:25 PM EDT
[#17]
I closed on a house in McKinney last month. It's in a MUD district so the taxes are quite a bit higher than they'd be if i lived in McKinney city limits, but I knew that going in. It was new construction so while I don't get the HS exemption I did get a break because the "builders rate" was used and they only appraised for 261k when it sold for $335. Of course that was only on the portion going to Collin County, McKinney ISD, and CCC. The MUD district still appraised at full value of $335k. I was expecting around $10k a year, but this first year will be a bit lower at $8500ish. We will see what happens next year, but I'll definitely be putting HS on.

I still have a home in Illinois as well. If you think taxes are bad there try living here. My house here in Illinois is only $185k and I pay $5000 even with the HS exemption applied. And of course income tax as well. That's why I'm selling eventually and I'll just live in TX full time.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 2:16:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I closed on a house in McKinney last month. It's in a MUD district so the taxes are quite a bit higher than they'd be if i lived in McKinney city limits, but I knew that going in. It was new construction so while I don't get the HS exemption I did get a break because the "builders rate" was used and they only appraised for 261k when it sold for $335. Of course that was only on the portion going to Collin County, McKinney ISD, and CCC. The MUD district still appraised at full value of $335k. I was expecting around $10k a year, but this first year will be a bit lower at $8500ish. We will see what happens next year, but I'll definitely be putting HS on.

I still have a home in Illinois as well. If you think taxes are bad there try living here. My house here in Illinois is only $185k and I pay $5000 even with the HS exemption applied. And of course income tax as well. That's why I'm selling eventually and I'll just live in TX full time.
View Quote

Good lord! I suppose I should be happy with my $4,200 @ $225,000.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 2:21:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

A Disabled Veteran Exemption is available to disabled veterans and their survivors. The amount of the exemption received varies with the extent of the disabilities, ranging from $5,000 to $12,000. This exemption is not required to be on your residence homestead, it may be applied to any property you own in the State of Texas, and you must be a Texas resident. Certain disabled veterans are eligible for a total exemption for their residence homestead. Documentation from the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) must be submitted indicating (1) 100% disability compensation due to a service connected disability; and (2) a rating of 100% disabled or a determination of individual unemployability from the VA. Attach copy of your award letter or documentation from the VA to the application. The surviving spouse exemption of a qualifying 100% or unemployable disabled veteran became effective January 1, 2012. You may qualify for this exemption if you were married to a disabled veteran who qualified for an exemption under Tax Code 11.131 at the time of their death and: (1) you have not remarried since the death of the disabled veteran and (2) the property was your residence homestead when the disabled veteran died and remains your residence homestead.

I believe the amount is equal to your VA disability rating percentage.  Also, the exemption doesn't apply to your total property tax bill, just parts of it.  If your folks (or anyone else reading this) has a VA disability rating then they should apply for the exemption as it will help some.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct. Their CAD site or tax office should have the VA Disability exemption form on their website. The dollar amount exempted is based on the % rating your family member has. Im at 70% with the VA so I receive a $12,000 exemption. Like stated above, it does not apply to all property taxes. I don't know off the top of my head and I'm too busy to go find my tax statement but I believe the $12,000 exemption does not apply to my school district appraised value.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 8:07:34 PM EDT
[#20]
This is a link to a power point given by the williamson CAD chief appraiser which I found interesting.  The arguments about median value and taking a cad to court are pretty interesting.

The link is left cold because it may trigger a download for some.  

https://files.georgetown.org/files/2014/11/WCAD-Equal-and-Uniform-Taxation-2014.pptx
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 12:44:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Appeal filed online 5/11
Settlement Offer received 5/12...4% reduction on a 10% increase

View Quote

Collin County?
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 8:58:30 PM EDT
[#22]
They pegged mine for the full 10% as well. It is still considerably less than what it would sell for though.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 8:41:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The ADs have learned that increasing values is a way to create income for the county.

Slight detour:
Has anyone had experience with joining a protest group? I know my parents did it every year and my Mom said it was worth it.

I haven't seen any solicitations for any lately.
View Quote

Go protest yourself.  Take pictures of everything that is broken, ugly, has holes, etc.    You want to have them reclassify your home as in poor condition.  You can easily save 10's-100's of thousands of dollars.  Most will give you an easy $10k just for you to leave with no documentation.  Never show any improvements like you painted, or replaced your roof, etc., or they consider that an "improvement" thus more taxable.   You can also get an appraiser to appraise your home, and if it is less than the appraised value, take that as evidence.   Problem is most appraised values are way below what you would list your property for sale to begin with.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 2:02:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Bump.

I protested mine yesterday and was able to knock it down to my original appeal value by showing photos and estimates of repairs.  Didn't use any company just represented myself.

Link Posted: 6/30/2016 2:54:32 PM EDT
[#25]
I protested mine and they dropped the increase by about 60% just on me filing the protest.  I went to the hearing and was unable to get it lowered any further.

It was instructive listening to the Collin Cad employee as they tend to cherry pick data and present in a confusing manner.  If you looked at this stuff all day long it wouldn't be an issue but seeing it for the first time gives you very little time to analyze and poke holes in their assertions.  They will also cruise MLS looking for interior pictures to justify rate increases and in my case conveniently missed that one of the recently sold homes was listed larger than their tax roles indicated.    

The appraiser also knew exactly how much I paid for my home despite that fact that is supposed to be confidential information.  
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 4:39:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I protested mine and they dropped the increase by about 60% just on me filing the protest.  I went to the hearing and was unable to get it lowered any further.

It was instructive listening to the Collin Cad employee as they tend to cherry pick data and present in a confusing manner.  If you looked at this stuff all day long it wouldn't be an issue but seeing it for the first time gives you very little time to analyze and poke holes in their assertions.  They will also cruise MLS looking for interior pictures to justify rate increases and in my case conveniently missed that one of the recently sold homes was listed larger than their tax roles indicated.    

The appraiser also knew exactly how much I paid for my home despite that fact that is supposed to be confidential information.  
View Quote

They get it from the MLS system.  At least from what my realtor said.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 4:41:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

It is not confidential and is easily found in deed records, liens, etc. If you want it confidential, do a cash transaction. Even then, it is IRS reportable.

I built my home myself, nobody but me knows how much I spent.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 4:47:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

It is not confidential and is easily found in deed records, liens, etc. If you want it confidential, do a cash transaction. Even then, it is IRS reportable.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what I was thinking. How else is the city/county/state going to know about the lien holder(aka your lender) unless they file the appropriate paperwork?
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 4:55:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here,
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top