Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/25/2016 4:33:32 PM EDT
Down the road from me, there is a shopping complex.  A strip mall-kinda area.  At the entrances off the main streets there are 30.06 and 07 signs pushed into the grass which I can only assume is meant to ban carry for every single shop and store within the shopping complex.

Can they do that and be enforceable?
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 5:25:23 PM EDT
[#1]
That is what the law requires for 30.07.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 8:18:10 PM EDT
[#2]
There are a lot of apartment complexes that have 30.07 signs at each entrance to the parking lots. Some of them 30.06 also. I think about all of them are owned by corporations that are not local.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 10:38:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Would they make decent target holders
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 8:26:19 PM EDT
[#4]
A 30.06 sign wouldn't be valid for a parking lot AND inside your vehicle.  30.06 only applies if you are carrying under the authority of a license to carry.  You don't need a license to carry concealed inside a vehicle under your control.

Sec. 30.06.  TRESPASS BY LICENSE HOLDER WITH A CONCEALED HANDGUN.  (a) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder:
(1)  carries a concealed handgun under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, on property of another without effective consent; and
(2)  received notice that entry on the property by a license holder with a concealed handgun was forbidden.

Sec. 46.02.  UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS.  (a)  A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun, illegal knife, or club if the person is not:
(1)  on the person's own premises or premises under the person's control; or
(2)  inside of or directly en route to a motor vehicle or watercraft that is owned by the person or under the person's control.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 11:28:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There are a lot of apartment complexes that have 30.07 signs at each entrance to the parking lots. Some of them 30.06 also. I think about all of them are owned by corporations that are not local.
View Quote

Lol. I crack up when I see those. I pretty much don't even look for signs that aren't of the 51% variety.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 1:31:52 AM EDT
[#6]
The entire "uptown village" at Cedar Hill is posted that way.

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 8:52:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Is that Red Bird Mall?

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 2:01:24 PM EDT
[#8]
I would ignore that without question
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 2:09:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why?

While you do not see it done like that too often, they are actually placed correctly to ban LTC from property.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:11:03 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Is that Red Bird Mall?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Is that Red Bird Mall?

No, nw corner of 67 and 1382.

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:39:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is that Red Bird Mall?

Gotcha.  Thanks
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 11:10:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Why?

While you do not see it done like that too often, they are actually placed correctly to ban LTC from property.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why?

Who is to say later thst the sign was not upright or visible when I came in. Thst is in the minuscule chance thst I'm busted CCWing
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 10:00:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Who is to say later thst the sign was not upright or visible when I came in. Thst is in the minuscule chance thst I'm busted CCWing
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why?

Probably the LEO who arrested you will testify to that, as well as the property owner.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 11:13:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Probably the LEO who arrested you will testify to that, as well as the property owner.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why?

Good,point.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 10:35:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Good,point.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why?

Good,point.

Meh, just find an entrance that doesn't have the sign and use that way.  There is a plaza like that here in San Antonio but it only has signs on the two main entrances from the main road or frontage road, not the side entrances.  I tend to think a lot of places that improperly put up signs do so on purpose.  That way they can satisfy the anti crowd, while basically winking at us who know the law.

This said... Half-Price Books still sucks.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 10:44:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Is it still a class A to carry in a hospital with 30.06 posted? I haven't reread the law yet.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 10:53:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Shopping centers maybe, but what of apartment complexes? Ours has a 30.07 posted on the entrance gate, as well as another on the exterior wall of the leasing office.  Inside the office I can understand, but in the parking lot?
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 2:48:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Shopping centers maybe, but what of apartment complexes? Ours has a 30.07 posted on the entrance gate, as well as another on the exterior wall of the leasing office.  Inside the office I can understand, but in the parking lot?
View Quote

You cannot open carry in the common areas there
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 5:31:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Good,point.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why?

Good,point.

Is it an arrestable offense? Thought it was just a class C - get cited and be on your way.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 10:02:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Is it an arrestable offense? Thought it was just a class C - get cited and be on your way.
View Quote

One can be arrested for a Class C.  And it is only a class C if you ignore signs.  Violate written or verbal notice and it is still an A
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 10:20:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

One can be arrested for a Class C.  And it is only a class C if you ignore signs.  Violate written or verbal notice and it is still an A
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you mean to write that it was a class A for both verbal and written? My understanding was that ignoring written notice, i.e. the sign, is a class C and that it only becomes class A for ignoring oral notice.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 11:56:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Did you mean to write that it was a class A for both verbal and written? My understanding was that ignoring written notice, i.e. the sign, is a class C and that it only becomes class A for ignoring oral notice.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ignoring a sign is a class C.  Ignoring OTHER written notice, such as a card or other document (as outlined in the penal code) or verbal notice is a class A.

Link Posted: 5/3/2016 12:08:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Ignoring a sign is a class C.  Ignoring OTHER written notice, such as a card or other document (as outlined in the penal code) or verbal notice is a class A.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The law says only after entering property and ignoring oral communication can bump it up to Class A? This would suggest to me you can ignore ANY written, or ANY oral before you enter property, and only if on property and personally given oral ( not a announcement speaker), can it be bumped to A if you do not leave. Please explain your interpretation.

(d)  An offense under this section is a Class C misdemeanor punishable by a fine not to exceed $200, except that the offense is a Class A misdemeanor if it is shown on the trial of the offense that, after entering the property, the license holder was personally given the notice by oral communication described by Subsection (b) and subsequently failed to depart.

eta

when I write "you can ignore ANY written, or ANY oral before you enter property" I do not mean legally, I mean be only subject to C.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top