Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/25/2016 7:10:28 AM EDT
Gonne be a rough one today folks. Keep your head on a swivel.

Strong to severe thunderstorms will easily fire up across north Texas today with all severe weather modes possible: hail, high winds, and tornadoes. Since the cap is weak and our upper-air disturbance once again coming in negative tilt, storms will not have to wait until late in the day to fire, but they will be at their strongest in the afternoon and lingering into this evening.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 7:27:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Wonderful.
Stay safe out there.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 10:32:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Doomsday McCauley is even thinking it's going to be a bad evening tomorrow with large hail and strong tornados.

View Quote

I call him "apocalypse boy". We saw him a few weeks ago in the studio when we went to the mavericks game, he was about to start foaming at the mouth. I put a deal on my facebook to specifically block all references to him.

On the other hand, a lot of reputable folks are pressing the panic button. I guess it's time to clean out the garage, put the plants under the porch and double check the ham radios.

If you have a scanner, shortwave, or one of those cheap $40 HT ham radios off Amazon, you can listen to these.

146.880 Dallas County RACES Primary Frequency
145.310 Dallas (backup)- Mesquite Primary
145.410 Ellis - Waxahachie (there are 3 repeaters with the same frequency to listen in -Midlothian, Waxahachie, Ennis)

Don't transmit unless you're part of the skywarn net already OR you actively have a tornado bearing down on your ass and no one on the radio is already calling it. You can also transmit if you've been in the storm's path and you need help. When all that crap went through Rockwall at Christmas, there were a bunch of folks calling for help and rightfully so. So keep the frequency clear unless you REALLY need it.

Link Posted: 4/25/2016 11:23:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I call him "apocalypse boy". We saw him a few weeks in the studio when we went to the mavericks game, he was about to start foaming at the mouth. I put a deal on my facebook to specifically block all references to him.

On the other hand, a lot of reputable folks are pressing the panic button. I guess it's time to clean out the garage, put the plants under the porch and double check the ham radios.

If you have a scanner, shortwave, or one of those cheap $40 HT ham radios off Amazon, you can listen to these.

145.410 Ellis - Waxahachie (there are 3 repeaters with the same frequency to listen in -Midlothian, Waxahachie, Ennis)

Don't transmit unless you're part of the skywarn net already OR you actively have a tornado bearing down on your ass and no one on the radio is already calling it. You can also transmit if you've been in the storm's path and you need help. When all that crap went through Rockwall at Christmas, there were a bunch of folks calling for help and rightfully so. So keep the frequency clear unless you REALLY need it.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doomsday McCauley is even thinking it's going to be a bad evening tomorrow with large hail and strong tornados.

I call him "apocalypse boy". We saw him a few weeks in the studio when we went to the mavericks game, he was about to start foaming at the mouth. I put a deal on my facebook to specifically block all references to him.

I was monitoring RACES during the Garland Tornader. They were dispatching emergency services through it. It was intense.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 12:00:36 PM EDT
[#4]
http://www.mtcradio.com/baofeng-uv-5rt-hand-held-dual-band-transceiver-usa-warranty/

If you wanna get your feet wet listening to RACES and storm chasers, he's your cheap bastard starter kit. I think I've had mine 4 or 5 years and it's starting to have problems, but it still mostly works. I've got better stuff now, but it gets unplugged from the antennas when the lightening bolts start flying. This guy has all kinds of stuff though, only limited by your wallet.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 5:41:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I'll believe it when I see it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 6:33:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 11:52:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
http://www.mtcradio.com/baofeng-uv-5rt-hand-held-dual-band-transceiver-usa-warranty/

If you wanna get your feet wet listening to RACES and storm chasers, he's your cheap bastard starter kit. I think I've had mine 4 or 5 years and it's starting to have problems, but it still mostly works. I've got better stuff now, but it gets unplugged from the antennas when the lightening bolts start flying. This guy has all kinds of stuff though, only limited by your wallet.
View Quote

The UV-B5 is also an excellent radio for the money.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 10:38:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Update from the NWS:

845am update - Here are some thoughts about today's severe weather threat.
- the moderate risk is mainly because of the very large hail that's expected. The tornado risk is still there, but is not the primary threat.
- forecast is still a little messy this morning with uncertainties about when storms will form and what they will look like. It looks like the wind shear will not be extremely favorable for numerous strong-violent tornadoes, but it only takes one. Don't focus just on the tornado threat, but be ready just in case
- we could see showers and weaker storms develop before mid afternoon, but right now it looks like the most significant storms will be after 3 or 4 pm.
- we expect scattered storms to form after 3 or 4pm along and just east of a dry line which should be somewhere along a line from Alva to Clinton to Vernon, TX. Storms will quickly become severe.
- bottom line: stay alert. Not everyone in the moderate risk area will see severe weather, but if you have a storm near you later today, it will mean business and should be taken seriously. Think carefully about any travel plans between 4pm and 8pm. You do not want to be on the road with severe storms producing large hail. Hail in the most intense storms will be big enough damage homes and vehicles.

Watch for more updates through the day.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 11:04:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Update from the NWS:
View Quote

Last night I wasn't worried, today I'm a bit concerned.  I hate hail.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 11:09:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Had golfball-sized hail at my location in NW San Antonio last night.

Second time we've had hail big enough to break things in about a week.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 12:58:40 PM EDT
[#11]
NWS just upped the DFW area from a 3 to a 4. Another update at 1:15 after they get time to analyze the results of the ballon sent up at noon.

Link Posted: 4/26/2016 1:13:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 1:14:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 1:36:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

What's the potential of flying out tomorrow AM at DFW?
 Thanks
View Quote

Pretty good as long as all the aircraft aren't taken out of service because they need to be inspected for hail damage.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 2:02:02 PM EDT
[#15]
--> SCANNER <--

RADAR LOOP

click to zoom in...
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 3:20:26 PM EDT
[#16]

The Weather Nut! I love that guy!
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 3:36:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 3:38:49 PM EDT
[#18]
I tell ya, the weather is really starting to make me wonder about moving here....and my wife is really not happy...

This shit is scary, we still have boarded windows and are waiting for a new roof...I don't know if we will ever get settled in with all this...

Don't get me wrong, I love the freedom down here, and the people...but this weather is very stressful....does it ever end?
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 3:43:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I tell ya, the weather is really starting to make me wonder about moving here....and my wife is really not happy...

This shit is scary, we still have boarded windows and are waiting for a new roof...I don't know if we will ever get settled in with all this...

Don't get me wrong, I love the freedom down here, and the people...but this weather is very stressful....does it ever end?
View Quote

Yea, just wait a few minutes.

NWS is releasing data from weather ballon, the cap is weaker than anticipated. This is not good.

PDS Tornado Watch issued until 1am.

Link Posted: 4/26/2016 3:48:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

NWS is releasing data from weather ballon, the cap is weaker than anticipated. This is not good.

https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtp1/v/t1.0-9/13077024_1142517895769071_7245529671464375471_n.png?oh=5e82c9b7f1290e8da23c3972d0ce6ea1&oe=5772FA25
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtp1/v/t1.0-9/13077024_1142517895769071_7245529671464375471_n.png?oh=5e82c9b7f1290e8da23c3972d0ce6ea1&oe=5772FA25

For us newbs to the area, what's this "cap" you speak of? 98kguy, my family hates this weather as well.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 3:52:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 4:05:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

For us newbs to the area, what's this "cap" you speak of? 98kguy, my family hates this weather as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Warm Air Aloft. This warm air pretty much prevents severe weather from being able to form. Storms can form on top of the cap, which is technically "under" it, but they don't fire up to severe levels.

The cap is weakening considerably, which is why we were elevated into a higher sever outlook level.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 4:05:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 4:09:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Eventually, it will get hot and stay that way for a while and before you know it, Thanksgiving will be here.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 4:13:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Eventually, it will get hot and stay that way for a while and before you know it, Thanksgiving will be here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol, exactly.  This pretty much is how it goes.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 4:17:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 4:22:27 PM EDT
[#27]
First round looks like it will be here about 5, the 2nd round will be nasty. Looks about 9 for the second.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 4:22:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
What time is all this expected to hit Dallas? Looks like 7-ish from what I'm seeing.  

Gotta get the boy's car in the garage before it gets too sporty out there.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/26/2016 4:24:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 4:33:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wait 'till summer.
Chiggers.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 4:36:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Wait 'till summer.
Chiggers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wait 'till summer.
Chiggers.

Ehh, chiggers won't leave me an empty slab where my house used to be...I'll deal with them rather than this crap...

Fingers crossed and prayers for all my new Brothers down here, lets hope we all get through this thing safe, and with no major damage....
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 4:42:38 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View Quote

I find the weather problems to be over rated, but I live in the middle of the Metroplex, so most of the weather flies right over.

Where are you at?

The storms stop by May, mid-May in a bad year.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 4:43:52 PM EDT
[#33]
We lived there just shy of 10 years (moved to Alaska a few days ago). Frisco/McKinney border. Worst we had (knock wood) was this last bit of hail, pea size, up to nickel size.

That being said, I always hated this time of year. Lost sleep, lost hair, grayed hair, all that fun stuff.

Just felt my first Alaskan quake lol. But I grew up in CA, so quakes are nothing new and not as scary to me as tornados.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 4:44:13 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Warm Air Aloft. This warm air pretty much prevents severe weather from being able to form. Storms can form on top of the cap, which is technically "under" it, but they don't fire up to severe levels.

The cap is weakening considerably, which is why we were elevated into a higher sever outlook level.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So a weak cap mean that there isn't sufficient warm air at higher altitudes to keep the storms from forming?
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 5:07:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ty sir
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 5:12:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 5:18:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 5:28:57 PM EDT
[#38]
There is a Rangers game tonight.  That is just a terrible idea.  Honestly they should postpone it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 5:34:07 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Opposite - it means there isn't sufficient warm air aloft to prevent severe storms from forming.  You know those towering thunderheads you see reaching tens of thousands of feet into the atmosphere? They can't form with a strong cap.

ETA:  Maybe that's exactly what you were saying.  Weak cap = bad, at any rate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

So a weak cap mean that there isn't sufficient warm air at higher altitudes to keep the storms from forming?

Opposite - it means there isn't sufficient warm air aloft to prevent severe storms from forming.  You know those towering thunderheads you see reaching tens of thousands of feet into the atmosphere? They can't form with a strong cap.

ETA:  Maybe that's exactly what you were saying.  Weak cap = bad, at any rate.

Well, I'm glad we cleared that up.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 5:37:54 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

There is a Rangers game tonight.  That is just a terrible idea.  Honestly they should postpone it.
View Quote

1. The Yankees already had one game in Detroit postponed, so they already have to go to Detroit on a scheduled day off to play a game.

2. The Rangers already had one game in Texas postponed, so they already have to play on a scheduled off day.

3. They had a storm come through a few years ago, and they just put the fans and teams in the tornado shelter under the stadium.

4. I don't think this will materialize into bad weather in the Metroplex. The storms always leap frog the metroplex.

Link Posted: 4/26/2016 6:05:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Wait 'till summer.
Chiggers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wait 'till summer.
Chiggers.

Oh Chiggers are rough
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 6:13:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I find the weather problems to be over rated, but I live in the middle of the Metroplex, so most of the weather flies right over.

Where are you at?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where are you at?

I am in Wylie, got hammered by the hail storm two weeks ago, I've had my fill...
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 7:15:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Stay safe North Texans, looks like it may be another rough one
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 7:30:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Saw this guy prepping for hail.

Now sure what will result in more damage, the hail or his attempt at covering his car with the cardboard.

Guess what drive-thru I was at.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 7:34:57 PM EDT
[#45]
^^^ That's not a bad strategy - but he's gonna need a lot more cardboard.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 7:37:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 7:47:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

The person putting it on was wearing a Panda Express shirt, prob has access to more and prob went for it after the first one.  After seeing him basically drag the taut bungies across the top of his car and then slide the cardboard from the side to the top, I'm thinking he tore it up than the hail would.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 7:51:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

This, more coverage and more layers
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 7:53:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 7:57:21 PM EDT
[#50]

That should cover the roof, windows are fair game, and it might make a hell of a mess, but we have water hoses
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top