Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2016 2:56:42 PM EDT
Bought a new pak all trailer in white from pak all outfitters in Austin,tx about two weeks ago. Guy, David Wayne Jenkins, told me he'd send the bill of sale via email. Really friendly.

Never got it.

Sent numerous text messages, phone calls, and Facebook messages to no avail. Ignoring me.

It's a good looking trailer and I'm happy with it...but without a  Bill of Sale I can't register it.

Any ideas on how to proceed with registering it?
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 3:58:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Never trust a man who's middle name is Wayne. I can't help you with how to register the stolen trailer you bought though.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 4:19:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Does the trailer have a serial number? If not the State of Texas will consider it stolen, even with a Bill of Sale.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 4:24:07 PM EDT
[#3]
It does. It's not stolen-it was bought from the manufacturer.

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 4:28:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Is your contact the owner? If not he may not work there anymore. I'd just e-mail and call the office.

I know it's a long trip from Paki to Austin, but it may be worth while to stop by the shop.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 4:28:29 PM EDT
[#5]
So no bill of sale?  I have to assume no title either?  Without either of those you're screwed at this point.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 4:32:01 PM EDT
[#6]
How much was the trailer?
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 4:36:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Bought a new pak all trailer in white from pak all outfitters in Austin,tx about two weeks ago. Guy, David Wayne Jenkins, told me he'd send the bill of sale via email. Really friendly.

Never got it.

Sent numerous text messages, phone calls, and Facebook messages to no avail. Ignoring me.

It's a good looking trailer and I'm happy with it...but without a  Bill of Sale I can't register it.

<a href="http://s517.photobucket.com/user/kcimb/media/22A48009-6EF4-4DE0-A532-FBD6C5148F40_zpsalgcurxp.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i517.photobucket.com/albums/u339/kcimb/22A48009-6EF4-4DE0-A532-FBD6C5148F40_zpsalgcurxp.jpg</a>

Any ideas on how to proceed with registering it?
View Quote

Going through a similar situation right now. I have everything I need, but I am trying to figure out whether or not I even need to mess with it per the below info (I have a single axle 5x8 BigTex utility trailer).

Found this on Houston/Harris County's website.

"Q. How do I title a new manufactured trailer?

A trailer must weigh at least 4001 pounds to be titled. You will need:
Manufactured Certificate of Origin (MCO)
(Form 130-U) Application for Texas Certificate of Title
May need weight certificate if weight is not indicated on MCO
A weight certificate is required if the gross weight is over 4500 lbs.
Accepted form of identification."

Then, this on the TXDMV site;

"If your manufactured trailer's gross weight exceeds 4,000 lbs., it must be titled. Submit the following documents to your county tax assessor-collector office:

1. Evidence of ownership:

• New trailer: Manufacturer Certificate of Origin*, or

• Used trailer over 4,000 lbs. gross weight: Certificate of Title, or

• Used trailer less than or equal to 4,000 lbs. gross weight: Bill of Sale + Registration Receipt

2. A completed Form 130-U,

3. Applicable fees

Note: A manufactured trailer with missing paperwork cannot be registered as a homemade trailer.

* The Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin (MCO) is the document that allows you to register and/or title a new trailer. This is your trailer's "birth certificate," showing its unique identification information. A trailer manufacturer is required to provide a MCO to dealers or purchasers for every vehicle it manufactures."

If your trailer is in fact NEW, then it appears you just need the MCO, a 130-U (which you hopefully have since the seller has to sign), and to pay the fees.

If not, I'm not sure what you can do besides *cough*forgethedocs*cough*

Good luck and let us know what you do.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 4:39:27 PM EDT
[#8]
I was told by my local tx office when I got my little single axle trailer reg that any trailer under 4500gvw does not require a title.

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 5:06:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How much was the trailer?
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 5:14:36 PM EDT
[#10]
I registered a jetski trailer as a homemade trailer about 30 years ago. It did not come with a title. It was originally factory made for a single motorcycle.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 5:23:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Great sized trailer for camping etc. I need to get a tent for mine.

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 5:25:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Does the trailer have a serial number? If not the State of Texas will consider it stolen, even with a Bill of Sale.
View Quote

This is not correct.

All you need is a Bill Of Sale in the state of Texas.  I've done this more than once.

Make BOS and call the trailer "Home made".

CMOS
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 6:00:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

This is not correct.

All you need is a Bill Of Sale in the state of Texas.  I've done this more than once.

CMOS
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is not correct.

CMOS

This is very correct. I can tell you've never dealt with the DPS office out of Tyler.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 8:19:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

This is not correct.

CMOS
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is not correct.

CMOS

I had a "Bass Tracker" trailer, that originally came from the factory with my 1990 "Bass Tracker" boat.

It had passed hands through the family, and I purchased it upon my uncles death.

None of the paperwork could be found, and the only items that had SN's were the boat and motor.

Trailer SN tag was faded/unreadable - I had to take it down to the Austin PD and have them verify it was not stolen, and upon verification I had to provide it a SN (Match Boat)

Then had to take the paperwork they gave me, and take to the title office - ended up getting normal trailer plates for around $68/year.

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 8:38:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Check your .mil thread
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:04:21 PM EDT
[#16]
I bought a trailer from an individual with BOS but he was not the registered owner on the license plates.  The tax office charged me $1 to look up the original owner and told me to send a certified letter to the listed address to clarify new owner.  Letter was returned to sender which I took to the tax office and they weren't sure what to do.  They ended up using that as proof that I'm the new owner (trailer was not large enough to be titled) but my assumption is that most folks would just go outside and make one up to avoid all the hassle I went thru.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:13:18 PM EDT
[#17]
http://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/buying-or-selling-a-vehicle/bought-a-vehicle-with-no-title

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 7:59:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Register it as home made. It's not big enough to be inspected. I have a trailer that carried my grandfathers 73' terry johnboat. The trailer is a dilly made trailer. No title could be found. I stripped the paint because it was rusted to hell but still solid then repainted. It now carries my 14' tracker Grizzly all weld John/duck boat. I put a new axle under it and called it home made. I have had it registered for 6 years now. My best friend who is DPD has no problem with it as long as I renew my trailer tags.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 8:57:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

This is not correct.

CMOS
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is not correct.

CMOS

I did this with my little 5x8. Of course I scraped off all the BigTex stickers first.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 9:55:41 PM EDT
[#20]
I registered my M101a1 the other day using a type-written bill of sale.

I could have just as easily typed it up myself.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 11:16:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Register it as home made. It's not big enough to be inspected. I have a trailer that carried my grandfathers 73' terry johnboat. The trailer is a dilly made trailer. No title could be found. I stripped the paint because it was rusted to hell but still solid then repainted. It now carries my 14' tracker Grizzly all weld John/duck boat. I put a new axle under it and called it home made. I have had it registered for 6 years now. My best friend who is DPD has no problem with it as long as I renew my trailer tags.
View Quote

73 feet. That is a big fucking john boat!
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 2:43:38 PM EDT
[#22]
I tried going the correct route with a jetski trailer a few years ago, even with a bill of sale from the previous owner stating the chain of ownership of the trailer and that it was now mine and not stolen, i ended up registering it as homemade, which took about 1/10th the time of getting it done correctly.  The second trailer I bought (2-ski trailer) i was able to get a correct bill of sale from the owner listing it as a manufactured trailer that was not large enough to title, and even with all of that, it still took at least twice as long before i had my paperwork in hand and was headed out the door.  

the state of texas makes it really hard to transfer legal registration of trailers under 2500lbs or whatever the cutoff is for titling.  the only thing that proves you legally bought a trailer is a copy of the previous owner's registration and a bill of sale from that owner.  lose that and its just way easier to register it as a homebuilt trailer.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 6:17:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

This is very correct. I can tell you've never dealt with the DPS office out of Tyler.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is not correct.

CMOS

DPS does not register trailers.  Your local county tax assessor does.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 6:53:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is not correct.

CMOS

Correct, but if you're trying to get the title straight you have to go thru them.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 7:10:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Never trust a man who's middle name is Wayne. I can't help you with how to register the stolen trailer you bought though.
View Quote

True Dat!!!    

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 7:39:54 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is not correct.

CMOS

Or more specifically, TXDMV.

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 7:40:56 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Correct, but if you're trying to get the title straight you have to go thru them.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is not correct.
CMOS

DPS?  No.

http://www.txdmv.gov/motorists

Motor vehicle registration and titles is handled by DMV and or your local tax office or title company.

In most cases a title company is faster than the tax office.

f you have questions about your vehicle and do not find the answers to your questions here, please contact us at (888) DMV-GOTX / (888)368-4689.

DPS Handles driver licenses.

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 1:02:02 PM EDT
[#28]
It is also annoying that you aren't allowed to renew these trailers online since they have no title. This process should be much easier but they make it difficult.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 4:25:32 PM EDT
[#29]
I just recently bought a new trailer from Texas Trailer Supply in Austin.

It is a 5x12 single axle under the 4500lbs title requirement limitation.  They gave me the option to have it titled with a VIN (event though it didn’t have to be titled) as they mentioned it would make it much easier to sell down the road with a title, easier to keep registered (I think I can do registration online since I have a title and vin) and it may be easier to recover should it ever be stolen.

I think it was an extra $50 to get the title even though I didn’t need to.  They did all the paperwork and my title and plates just showed up in the mail about 30 day after purchase.

If the OP bought a trailer from a dealer locally in town and is now having trouble registering it because he doesn’t have the right paperwork, if at all practical I would just go back to the dealership and request it to be titled even if it costs a couple bucks more.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 7:25:47 PM EDT
[#30]
I have had a nice factory made single axle 12 foot trailer complete with serial number VIN.

It was stolen out of a parking lot, and I'm sure some yard crew is loading their crap all over and on it this very day, but they registered it as home made, so the VIN will never come up unless a Black Swan arises and somehow the VIN of the trailer is looked up and found stolen in Travis County...

Yes, I called Travis County and a Deputy took the report and ...   ....  ....

I'm not holding my breath (since it has been 5 years +....  )

Good Luck which ever route you go!

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 12:08:34 AM EDT
[#31]
Don't even think about going the farm trailer route. The state has redefined what they consider a "farm trailer" and it's just not worth the hassle, even if there is a $50 difference in the tags.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top