Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/4/2016 12:45:12 PM EDT
So I have a question on the Texas CHL and reciprocity....

I figured I would have to get my Texas CHL since moving here from that hell hole NY...but I discovered something yesterday that want to verify...

Actually my Dad found it and sent me a link...

I will post the link in a little bit, but right from the Texas DPS website, they have an interactive map showing reciprocity with other states....when you click on NY it says that Texas has a unilateral agreement recognizing NY Concealed Carry Permits.

Apparently Rick Perry signed the proclamation on Jan 13, 2006...I printed out three copies of it.

So does this mean I am good to go carrying until I get an actual Texas CHL?
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 12:49:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 1:02:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

It depends.  Is your NY license valid after you move?  If so, then carry away.

Link Posted: 2/4/2016 1:09:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

It says right on it "Valid Unless Revoked"...

I guess the only thing I would think about...it has my old NY address...

Link Posted: 2/4/2016 2:22:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Still have your NY DL? Id use it until you get a TX DL, then hurry up on getting your texas HL. Most cops I know wouldn't have a problem, but what if you need to use your gun? What would the county prosecutor say?
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 3:36:39 PM EDT
[#5]
If you have established residency in Texas (30 days)  it's required that you surrender your NY Driver's license and get a Texas one.  Not sure what that will do to the NY permit.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 6:56:18 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

So I have a question on the Texas CHL and reciprocity....
I figured I would have to get my Texas CHL since moving here from that hell hole NY...but I discovered something yesterday that want to verify...
Actually my Dad found it and sent me a link...
I will post the link in a little bit, but right from the Texas DPS website, they have an interactive map showing reciprocity with other states....when you click on NY it says that Texas has a unilateral agreement recognizing NY Concealed Carry Permits.
Apparently Rick Perry signed the proclamation on Jan 13, 2006...I printed out three copies of it.
So does this mean I am good to go carrying until I get an actual Texas CHL?
View Quote

Yes your NY permit is valid in TX.  As long as your NY one is valid of course.

I still have a NY permit from over 16 years ago.  But likely now its not valid because they've changed to a different style of permit.  But the one I have does not have an expiration, from NY.

With that said, get signed up for a class, and get the TX one.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 6:57:03 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

If you have established residency in Texas (30 days)  it's required that you surrender your NY Driver's license and get a Texas one.  Not sure what that will do to the NY permit.
View Quote

New residents have 90 days to change from NY in this case, to a Texas DL if they've moved in to TX.

Link Posted: 2/5/2016 4:10:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Great, another New Yorker.

Just Kidding. Welcome to Texas. Most people in the metro areas are not native Texans. Go to your local DPS office AS EARLY AS POSSIBLE to get your drivers license. It can take several hours.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 10:57:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Well, I got my Texas DL 4 months ago as soon as we closed on the house...first thing I did after that was to drive to Ft Worth and pick up a gin I had on layaway when we came down to get a house under contract in July (we closed in August)

I haven't had time to get my CHL yet, just figured maybe my NY Carry License would work...it is still valid, as they are valid unless revoked, at least until 2018 when all of them must be "renewed" via the NYSAFE Act.... Good thing I don't care...

I probably won't carry until I get my Texas CHL or whatever it is now that open carry is through...
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 10:21:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Your NY CHL will not work for bypass of Brady Bill Instant (or not so instant) check in Texas

A Texas CHL will bypass the Brady Bill wait.

Plus, if you have moved, you have to notify NY state of your new address

If you notify NY of your new address outside of NY (in wonderful TX), will your license still be valid?? (I seriously doubt it unless they offer a non-resident permit like UT, VA or FL)

Just one more reason to upgrade to the Texas CHL ASAP....

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 11:06:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Welcome to Texas, the state all the rest seem to love to hate and cant stop posting about. Please leave the NY values at the Red River
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top