Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/25/2015 1:01:06 PM EDT
Chron Story

"The Houston Zoo has reinstalled a series of signs that prohibit carrying firearms into the gates of the family-friendly attraction almost three months after taking them down under threat of legal action."
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 1:15:32 PM EDT
[#1]

In a statement to the Houston Chronicle on Tuesday, Houston Zoo spokesperson Jackie Wallace stated: "After consultation with legal counsel, the Houston Zoo, Inc. has concluded that Texas government code does not prohibit HZI from lawfully posting signs that ban weapons from its premises because HZI is - at its core - an educational institution."
View Quote

Uh, Educational Institutes do not have to post signs.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 1:26:53 PM EDT
[#2]
This is good.  These liberal twits will overstep their bounds and the 2017 legislative session will love them tenderly.  The TX Legislature takes kindly to people who thumb their nose at the laws that they pass.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 2:43:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

In a statement to the Houston Chronicle on Tuesday, Houston Zoo spokesperson Jackie Wallace stated: "After consultation with legal counsel, the Houston Zoo, Inc. has concluded that Texas government code does not prohibit HZI from lawfully posting signs that ban weapons from its premises because HZI is - at its core - an educational institution."

I'd say that without students enrolled and classes scheduled they shouldn't meet anyone's definition of an "educational institution".
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 2:46:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
This is good.  These liberal twits will overstep their bounds and the 2017 legislative session will love them tenderly.  The TX Legislature takes kindly to people who thumb their nose at the laws that they pass.
View Quote

Hopefully they will eliminate 30.06, 30.07 and 51% signs entirely so no signage is automatic lawbreaking to cross.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 3:40:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Smelly animals on both sides of the bars.  I'll pass.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 11:33:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Chron Story

"The Houston Zoo has reinstalled a series of signs that prohibit carrying firearms into the gates of the family-friendly attraction almost three months after taking them down under threat of legal action."
View Quote

Good.  Now they can pay money and be used as an example to others not to just try and make up their own rules.  Can't wait for 2 years to pass so the next legislature really comes down hard on those that wish to ignore the law.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 12:41:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I'd say that without students enrolled and classes scheduled they shouldn't meet anyone's definition of an "educational institution".
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And those free lunches damned sure better meet Mama Michelle's nutrition guidelines, too!
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:11:17 PM EDT
[#8]
I'll bet their legal counsel advised them that it would cost money for a third party to initiate legal proceedings to make them take down the signs.  After all, who would spend money just to get some signs removed.  I'm sure the prosecutor in Houston would tell you, they have better things to do, than go chasing after another part of the city.  

Does Texas law actually define what is an educational institution?
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 6:23:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'll bet their legal counsel advised them that it would cost money for a third party to initiate legal proceedings to make them take down the signs.  After all, who would spend money just to get some signs removed.  I'm sure the prosecutor in Houston would tell you, they have better things to do, than go chasing after another part of the city.  

Does Texas law actually define what is an educational institution?
View Quote

Not that I'm aware of, yet.  Yet meaning till something happens in the courts or legislature.

Here's an article to read
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 7:11:49 PM EDT
[#10]
If it is an "educational institution",

They had sure better not hassle me about me actually paying for tickets next time I bring my large family to visit.

It is EDUCATIONAL and EDUCATION is FREE in AMERICA...   (per Al Sharpton and the FSA )

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 7:29:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If it is an "educational institution",

They had sure better not hassle me about me actually paying for tickets next time I bring my large family to visit.

It is EDUCATIONAL and EDUCATION is FREE in AMERICA...   (per Al Sharpton and the FSA )

BIGGER_HAMMER
View Quote

I don't think/hope their claim will hold up.  I've already hand delivered a letter in regards to this to my State Rep office about this hoping next legislature to get this cleared up.   I love visiting the Houston Zoo, but clearly liberals are running it who live under the false sense of security of a "Gun Free Zone".   I am shocked that in wake of the horrific events in Paris, that these liberals think creating more gun free zones, and stripping further rights away will make CRIMINALS stop.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top