Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/25/2015 9:37:48 AM EDT
This was told to me today. He said that his CHL instructor (who is also a police officer) told him this. I told him that was BS beacause a magazine in is a loaded gun. One in the chamber changes nothing except you are better prepared. He said he read the law & that is says, "if you carry a gun in your car without a CHL, then there can not be a round in the chamber".

I'm trying to find this.

Has anyone heard this before.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 9:59:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
This was told to me today. He said that his CHL instructor (who is also a police officer) told him this. I told him that was BS beacause a magazine in is a loaded gun. One in the chamber changes nothing except you are better prepared. He said he read the law & that is says, "if you carry a gun in your car without a CHL, then there can not be a round in the chamber".

I'm trying to find this.

View Quote

"He" is either mistaken or a liar.  There is no law that requires that.  In fact, except for the law regarding making a firearm available to a minor, Texas generally does not address the loaded or empty condition of a firearm.  

Tell him to show you....   http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/

Penal code chapter 46.

Link Posted: 11/25/2015 10:06:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Total bullshit.Did you ask him how you did that with a wheel gun?
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 10:18:30 AM EDT
[#3]
No.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 11:22:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I'm trying to find this.

View Quote

Yet another ignorant CHL instructor.  It seems most CHL instructors are ignorant, with txinvestigator being a notable exception.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 12:16:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yet another ignorant CHL instructor.  It seems most CHL instructors are ignorant, with txinvestigator being a notable exception.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm trying to find this.

We have no idea if the CHL instructor actually told the OP's  friend that.  I would not denigrate an entire group based on what someone said someone said someone said.  ;)
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 12:43:05 PM EDT
[#6]
I see my CHL instructor nearly every time I go to the range. He and the other instructors joke about being misquoted almost daily. I would record my class if I were an instructor.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 12:43:28 PM EDT
[#7]
No, but if he did actually say it, the guy needs to be "outed" so we don't accidentally send anyone to his class.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 1:08:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Texas law makes zero distinction between a loaded or an unloaded, chambered or unchambered gun.

Now, what might have happened is that it is illegal to hunt migratory birds from a vehicle in some circumstances, and I have heard people say that you have to have an empty chamber on your shotgun to ride in a vehicle, even from one field to another, to "prove" to the Critter Cop that you were not attempting to violate the law.  

Maybe he got confused?  Maybe he misunderstood, maybe he is FOS.

Link Posted: 11/25/2015 1:09:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Total BS.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 1:09:33 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View Quote

Load one, skip one, load four?
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 1:21:49 PM EDT
[#11]
According to the guy I took the class from, suppressors are 100% illegal to own and even having a threaded barrel will get you in trouble.

My brother was telling something a guy he works with had told him. I'm drawing a blank right now, but the other guy was supposedly an instructor and was completely wrong.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 3:19:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
We have no idea if the CHL instructor actually told the OP's  friend that.  I would not denigrate an entire group based on what someone said someone said someone said.  ;)
View Quote

This is mostly based on my own experience.  Whenever I meet a CHL instructor for the first time, I ask them about carrying in churches.  Almost without exception they tell me it isn't allowed.  It seems most are unaware of Sec. 46.035(i).
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 3:37:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Both of the guys I took the class from knew their stuff, my initial class and my renewal...  I've yet to find anything that they told me that was wrong, at least at the time of the class.  A few laws have changed since then.  So there are good instructors out there, but you need to do your research to find the good ones.

Link Posted: 11/25/2015 4:54:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm trying to find this.

My coworker stated that he said during the class, "i read the law as, you cant have a round in the chamber if carrying in your car. Is this correct?". The coworker stated that his instructor agreed that is what he said. Now, whether or not that occured i can not say. But, that is how it was told to me. My CHL instructor told some pretty tall tales, during instructions. I dont think every instructor is equal. Most are probably pretty good & informed.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 5:53:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
According to the guy I took the class from, suppressors are 100% illegal to own and even having a threaded barrel will get you in trouble.

My brother was telling something a guy he works with had told him. I'm drawing a blank right now, but the other guy was supposedly an instructor and was completely wrong.
View Quote

Find a REAL Instructor who knows what he or she is talking about.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 7:47:01 PM EDT
[#16]
My CHL instructor told me I COULD legally carry on property marked 30.06, but I think that was the only bad, non-tactical, piece of information he gave. No way in hell I'm injecting myself into a domestic violence situation like he suggested...

I got plenty of bad legal info back when I had to take a Massachusetts LTC class too.

When you make training a mandatory checkbox, you get plenty of instructors who shouldn't be teaching who take money just to check off those boxes.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 8:16:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
My CHL instructor told me I COULD legally carry on property marked 30.06, but I think that was the only bad, non-tactical, piece of information he gave. No way in hell I'm injecting myself into a domestic violence situation like he suggested...
View Quote

You COULD. In fact, I will be this Saturday at Market Hall Gun Show.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 9:33:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I'm trying to find this.

View Quote

Yeah, he lied. That doesn't exist in the law.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 9:42:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are a lot of 30.06 signs that are not legally enforceable for various reasons.  Unfortunately if you happen to get caught it might depend on the LEO whether or not you get arrested even if it is obvious the signs are invalid.  There are too many LEOs that don't know the law well enough, and there are many others that would choose to err on what they consider their opinion of the "intent" of the sign poster regardless of what the law actually says.  In most of those cases I suspect that a DA will decline to prosecute but LEOs may still choose to arrest knowing that "the ride" is punishment in and of itself, plus hiring a lawyer to represent oneself in a case like this can cost thousands of dollars even if no prosecution occurs.  There really needs to be less lattitude given to LEOs when they arrest on cases where they don't know the law or especially if they choose to arrest even when they know the charges will not stand up.  At very minimum they should be personally responsible to reimburse a defendant for legal fees.  They'd just get insurance to cover that, but if there were a pattern of bad behaviour that insurance could get expensive or impossible to get.  The result of this would be that they'd make damned sure they verified the law before they made an arrest.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 7:16:11 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I'm trying to find this.

View Quote

100% nonsense.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 12:27:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 1:32:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Dumb. very dumb.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 1:34:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

So what part of Texas Castle Law that he didn't understand?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm trying to find this.

Castle Law has nothing to do with where one can carry
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 3:08:39 PM EDT
[#24]
I have a serious  question, why are you arguing with an idiot?  Just smile, say "that's nice" and move on.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 4:35:34 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

By the time you realize your instructor is an idiot, it's too late.

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 4:44:08 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I have a serious  question, why are you arguing with an idiot?  Just smile, say "that's nice" and move on.
View Quote

That's nice.

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 6:53:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

That's nice.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's nice.

That's not arguing.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 7:00:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 7:25:16 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
That's not arguing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's nice.

That's not arguing.

That's nice.

Link Posted: 11/26/2015 10:31:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I was referring to the quote at the end about carrying in the car,  then his CHL instructor's statement still won't hold water.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm trying to find this.

I was referring to the quote at the end about carrying in the car,  then his CHL instructor's statement still won't hold water.

I know.  Castle Law has nothing to do with carrying in the car.  ;)

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:43:14 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

That's nice.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's nice.

That's not arguing.

That's nice.

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 6:51:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is true
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:09:17 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm trying to find this.

Yet you won't post any correction or what you are talking about?  You are just content to say NOPE YOU'RE WRONG.   How are you helping?  Maybe explain where you are coming from to maximize your point if you are really trying to help.  Otherwise you come off like you do most occasions....

Link Posted: 11/27/2015 10:57:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Otherwise you come off like you do most occasions....  
View Quote

You mean usually well spoken, knowledgeable and correct?
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:16:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Nevermind, high road, better late than never.  Previous post says enough.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 11:40:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Lug1;Yet you won't post any correction or what you are talking about?  You are just content to say NOPE YOU'RE WRONG.   How are you helping?  Maybe explain where you are coming from to maximize your point if you are really trying to help.  Otherwise you come off like you do most occasions....  
View Quote

It is pretty simple, the Castle Law (more commonly called the castle doctrine) has nothing to do with where one can carry.  Is that not clear?  

If you have something knowledgeable to add knock yourself out.

I would be willing to wager I have helped far more people, done far more research, given far more detailed answers, far more often than you.  

Have a nice evening.

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:14:49 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm trying to find this.

Yes it does.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:35:22 AM EDT
[#38]

Originally Posted By dillehayd

Yes it does.
View Quote
No, it does not.

You're confusing Motorist Protection Act creating an exception in 46.02.

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:41:02 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
It is pretty simple, the Castle Law (more commonly called the castle doctrine) has nothing to do with where one can carry.  Is that not clear?  

I would be willing to wager I have helped far more people, done far more research, given far more detailed answers, far more often than you.  

Have a nice evening.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Originally Posted By Lug1;Yet you won't post any correction or what you are talking about?  You are just content to say NOPE YOU'RE WRONG.   How are you helping?  Maybe explain where you are coming from to maximize your point if you are really trying to help.  Otherwise you come off like you do most occasions....  

Have a nice evening.

No question, not my line of work.  You have definitely provided a lot of people with a lot of answers.  Sometimes you miss the point and are corrected by others who are more on point to a situation, occasionally but not every time.  At which point in time you fade away and never acknowledge those that seemed to grasp the situation better.  But from what I can tell, your answers are short a lot of the time, not necessarily in length but in rudeness.  Maybe I read it wrong.  Either way I would wager that, while you may answer a ton more legalese questions than I ever have, my replies to others have been much more respectful in treating others like they might be intelligent adults.  

And you also have a nice evening.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 8:17:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 8:20:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

That's nice.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's nice.

That's not arguing.

That's nice.

lol
had to laugh at that one
he got you JIA
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 9:06:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did not take you for a person that would ignore a 30.06 sign. Did I miss something?
Too much to risk for me.
How was the show? I couldn't go myself. At least it didn't rain all day again. Not where I was anyway.
Badge??
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 9:19:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I did not take you for a person that would ignore a 30.06 sign. Did I miss something?
Too much to risk for me.
How was the show? I couldn't go myself. At least it didn't rain all day again. Not where I was anyway.
Badge??
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Too much to risk for me.
Badge??

I slept in. Maybe tomorrow.

You do not need a CHL to carry at a gun show. Has been legal under Case Law since 1800s. Stop and think about it. If handguns are not allowed, how do you buy one and walk out with it? How do you bring one in? What about a vendor with a CHL, he would not be able to bring any handguns in to sell.

So those signs are meaningless to those without a CHL, and meaningless to those with a CHL, since you are not carrying under CHL authority. Even if you think they are enforceable, just declare your gun at entrance and when they give it back and say "have a good show" that is them giving you effective consent to carry on 30.06 premises.

Link Posted: 11/28/2015 9:35:15 PM EDT
[#44]
So this is the second carry "loophole" you've taught me. The first was concealed SBR carry in certain locations.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 5:53:17 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

You do not need a CHL to carry at a gun show. Has been legal under Case Law since 1800s. Stop and think about it. If handguns are not allowed, how do you buy one and walk out with it? How do you bring one in? What about a vendor with a CHL, he would not be able to bring any handguns in to sell.

So those signs are meaningless to those without a CHL, and meaningless to those with a CHL, since you are not carrying under CHL authority. Even if you think they are enforceable, just declare your gun at entrance and when they give it back and say "have a good show" that is them giving you effective consent to carry on 30.06 premises.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Too much to risk for me.
Badge??

I might see you there. Texas Tech hat and Angry Birds big red sweat shirt. Hard to miss. I won't be carrying.
I worked other trade shows there in the eighties. No fun when it was raining. Everybody wanted help with stuff out to their car. Made lots of money during those shows.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 12:54:20 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Exactly!  Bullshit
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 1:01:58 AM EDT
[#47]
Also reminds me of my daughter in FFA class that included hunter safety. The idiot instructor said no one, other than LEO and Military could legally own a Full auto or suppressed firearm. She stood up and said that on New Year's eve two years prior she shot a Full Auto Thompson and then a full auto suppressed uzi and a select fire M16 and non were owned by LEO's.

Her instructor insisted that they were felons. She said, "My Dad is a gun dealer and he can get is SOT and own them and sell them all you have to do is go through a trust and pay $200" He told her she was wrong and threatened to fail her.

This was years ago. she graduated and is a Vet Tech in Houston now.....LOL.

I can "sort of" understand some high school teacher not understanding the law, but, I would think a CHL instructor would study just a bit more. I guess some are just in it to earn more $$$ vs. instructing a carrying public of the truth.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top