Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/24/2015 4:30:09 AM EDT
A friend has a coyote problem and we went out tonight trying to get a few. Normally, he sees tons of them on the property and they are not hunted so they don't really spook.

Tonight, we saw one and couldn't get a shot. They weren't anywhere to be found. We rode through an area, saw none, and ten minutes later would hear them howling and yipping. This was alternating between night vision and a powerful spotlight.

Next time, we will be using a call set up 100yds or so from where we are going to shoot, based upon the need for illumination.

Anybody else out for coyotes recently?
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 6:34:53 AM EDT
[#1]
I have 2 packs in my immediate area, the move in a big circle. I may not hear them for 3 or 4 months than all of a sudden they're back.
I understand they work a 20 mi radius? could be wrong..
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 10:12:44 AM EDT
[#2]
I hear coyotes regularly in the wooded area behind our house, but it is too close to other houses to shoot.

Vince
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 1:27:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Here the coyotes are on the move . I have a 35 mile commute to work there were 10 dead on the road. I have seen them in the daytime as well. This started about two weeks ago.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 10:36:11 PM EDT
[#4]
The bad weather will probably keep me from going out this weekend. But, I've got some good lights on the way to make it interesting.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 12:35:50 PM EDT
[#5]
They is frequently one jogging through my neighborhood looking for rabbits a few times a week. I leave for work early and usually see them.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 6:38:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Trg took one yesterday with a 308 sub I loaded for him.

Was in his deer blind, saw a note at 200 yrs.  Dropped in a 308 sub, knew his hold over and hit it.

Txl
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 2:19:31 PM EDT
[#7]
What was the bullet grain and holdover?
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 1:13:29 AM EDT
[#8]
180 gr hornady interlock.

For holdover, he said the part where the reticle gets fat is his 100 yr zero for subs, when he is zeroed for  his regular deer rds.

No actual dope avail.

Txl
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 6:46:59 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm waiting on a IR Defense MKII Hunter so I can go out and bust some songdags. I'm really looking forward to finally having IR capability.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 8:17:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Those siren calls work well.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 1:21:52 PM EDT
[#11]
start with a dying rabbit call, with the volume low then gradually increase in sound, not too loud, playing the call for :30-45 seconds with a space of about 1-2 min between calls. do this for about 10 min. Then I usually give a challenge howl or two, then back to rabbit. repeat for about 20-30 min depending on environment.

if you have it a decoy works well such as a fake rabbit or the feather on a string works ok as well.

Be quiet sneaking in and out I have set up on top of coyotes before, literally. Wife and I set up about 20 feet apart from each other and a coyote was sleeping in the sage right in between us.  I have also ran into many that hung up and were lingering around as I was leaving an area I had just called.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 1:48:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm waiting on a IR Defense MKII Hunter so I can go out and bust some songdags. I'm really looking forward to finally having IR capability.
View Quote

It'll change the way you see the world more than you realize.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 7:26:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those kinds of quotes make people spend money...
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 12:33:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That doesn't make them inaccurate...... ;)

I've got the 19mm IR Hunter mk2 btw.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 3:12:08 AM EDT
[#15]
I picked up an ATN X-Sight to try out. We shall see how it works out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top