Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/22/2015 6:01:50 PM EDT
Can anyone recommend a good Chinese place in the Austin area? Preferably north, but I can drive if needed.

I usually do takeout Chinese for thanksgiving, pick it up the night before and re-heat as needed, and haven't been able to find a good place since moving down here.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 6:52:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Can anyone recommend a good Chinese place in the Austin area? Preferably north, but I can drive if needed.

I usually do takeout Chinese for thanksgiving, pick it up the night before and re-heat as needed, and haven't been able to find a good place since moving down here.
View Quote

I can't help with recommendation. So when a local chimes in, why not order it fresh on Thanksgiving?  Pretty much all restaurants that are run by Chinese don't celebrate Thanksgiving and will be open.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 7:28:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Wan Fu was always my favorite about 10 years ago but it's been a minute since I've been there. Twin Lion is on Braker/183 close to HEB and is pretty good.

There's always PF Changs ....
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 7:36:24 PM EDT
[#3]
North Austin has some of the best Chinese around.  I personally like The Chinese BBQ at Din Ho Chinese BBQ

They do Pork and Duck that's awesome as well as a number of other dishes.  Go check it out.

Forgot to add that they have a combinations menu that you have to ask for - Dinner for 3, 4 etc.. It is freaking awesome.  Also order some steamed bun if dining in.  It's like a little pillow sandwich for your meat.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 8:06:57 PM EDT
[#4]
South Austin, I really like 1st Wok.  Generous portions and white meat chicken in the General Tsos.

Link Posted: 11/22/2015 9:30:42 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

View Quote

nevermind, the place I suggested is not in Austin

Link Posted: 11/22/2015 9:49:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah, we kinda knew that you were not from around here asking for Chinese takeout.

ROFL.

Bear in mind, unless you meet a similar person, any recommendation for Chinese is as useful as asking for TexMex Recommendation in NYC. I have the same problem looking for Pizza.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 10:08:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Hunan Lion is pretty good. We usually eat there every Christmas I am home.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 10:17:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yeah, we kinda knew that you were not from around here asking for Chinese takeout.

ROFL.

Bear in mind, unless you meet a similar person, any recommendation for Chinese is as useful as asking for TexMex Recommendation in NYC. I have the same problem looking for Pizza.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ROFL.

If I wasn't planning to have dinner with family via Skype (and pseudo-matching the menus), I'd probably be ordering from a local BBQ place instead. Still kinda tempted too...
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 11:43:09 PM EDT
[#9]
I really like Lotus Hunan on Bee Caves.  Just say no to Chinatown on Bee Caves.

China Cafe on 183/Lake Creek is often good, but sometimes inconsistent.  
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 1:24:16 AM EDT
[#10]
http://www.dynasty183.com/\

dammit, now I'm hungry and that's 200 miles away.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 4:15:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Here's a few of the ones I frequent:

First Chinese BBQ at Lamar/Braker
Ho Ho Chinese BBQ at 35/Parmer
Rice Bowl at Lamar/Braker
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 1:39:31 PM EDT
[#12]
If you want to venture up to Round Rock, there's a great Szechuan place that I used to order from, and it's name escapes me, but IIRC it was on Mays. I think it was Szechuan Garden or something like that. Had a great lamb dish that was spicy.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 4:59:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I really like Lotus Hunan on Bee Caves.  Just say no to Chinatown on Bee Caves.  

China Cafe on 183/Lake Creek is often good, but sometimes inconsistent.  
View Quote

Really,  Chinatown is WAY better than Lotus.

Lotus costs less Ill give it that, but Chinatown quality is so much better.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 5:03:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Good luck OP.

Still looking for one in San Antonio. The only really good place I've ever found here just closed down.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 5:24:03 PM EDT
[#15]
It depends on what you call Chinese food.   Are you looking for authentic or what most call Chinese (note most people have no idea what real Chinese food is including most that say they know what authentic is). It's the same as Italian .. You have real and you have what Yankees call Italian.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 5:49:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ho-Ho Chinese BBQ (they've got other Chinese food as well).  I35 & Parmer, the corner with the Wal-Mart it is near the Discount Tire.  Best Chinese place near P-Ville.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 9:23:05 PM EDT
[#17]
I gave up on Austin Chinese restaurants and just drive back to Killeen and go to Yank Sing.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 1:48:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Asia Cafe. Spicewood/McNeil at 183, same shopping center as the Big Lots. Really, really good, and authentic.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 10:32:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Asia Cafe. Spicewood/McNeil at 183, same shopping center as the Big Lots. Really, really good, and authentic.
View Quote

This is also a favorite of mine.  It's the greasy spoon of Chinese restaurants.  Love me some spicy mango chicken.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 6:08:29 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

If you want to venture up to Round Rock, there's a great Szechuan place that I used to order from, and it's name escapes me, but IIRC it was on Mays. I think it was Szechuan Garden or something like that. Had a great lamb dish that was spicy.
View Quote

Sichuan Garden in Round Rock is where my wife and I always get delivery. Good food, and the portion sizes are large enough to stretch a single dinner into two meals.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 5:04:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Sichuan Garden in Round Rock is where my wife and I always get delivery. Good food, and the portion sizes are large enough to stretch a single dinner into two meals.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ok, thanks for correcting me, been awhile since i ordered from there.
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 7:10:00 AM EDT
[#22]
We've always liked Suzi's and Korea House on Anderson Lane.
South of the river, we usually visit Wok On Fire at Brodie & Slaughter.

Sorry for the late reply... I've been away from Arfcom for a couple of months,
and I'm trying to catch up tonight.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top