Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 11:35:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Going through old pics and I found this. This is why you have to let them mature. Imagine what he would look like after another year or two.
Last year at 2.5 years old.

This year at 3.5.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 11:55:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ready for rifle season to start. I'm off the weeks of thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years. That should be enough time I hope.
View Quote

40% chance of rain here next weekend.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 12:57:00 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Going through old pics and I found this. This is why you have to let them mature. Imagine what he would look like after another year or two.

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg314/clharr/Hunting%20101/WGI_0573_zpsy0pvqvew.jpg

This year at 3.5.

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg314/clharr/Hunting%20101/WGI_0401_zpshno7jtev.jpg
View Quote

I wish we had bucks like that all around east texas that weren't in a high fence.

Our big lease we have is surrounded on 2 sides with a high fence. I see $30k bucks near them every now and then. A lot of the "high end" folks around here hunt there....then proudly post pics on FB of their easy kill
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 1:03:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ready for rifle season to start. I'm off the weeks of thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years. That should be enough time I hope.

Same for me last I looked. I've had some good hunts in the rain as long as it's not to heavy.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 1:08:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I wish we had bucks like that all around east texas that weren't in a high fence.

Our big lease we have is surrounded on 2 sides with a high fence. I see $30k bucks near them every now and then. A lot of the "high end" folks around here hunt there....then proudly post pics on FB of their easy kill
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg314/clharr/Hunting%20101/WGI_0573_zpsy0pvqvew.jpg

This year at 3.5.
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg314/clharr/Hunting%20101/WGI_0401_zpshno7jtev.jpg

We don't have many but that may change now that most of the lease goobers are gone. We have the genetics but not the age structure, too many doe as well.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 1:40:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

We don't have many but that may change now that most of the lease goobers are gone. We have the genetics but not the age structure, too many doe as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This year at 3.5.

Have you seen any age gains in your area since the antler restrictions took effect?
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 10:26:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Have you seen any age gains in your area since the antler restrictions took effect?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This year at 3.5.

No antler restrictions here. But I will say that I believe in the practice to a certain extent.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 11:47:56 AM EDT
[#8]
We have antler restrictions. Haven't seen anything promising.

Did shoot a decent 8pt a few years ago on our land that rarely gets hunted on. His antlers grew tall, and was only a 14" spread
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 12:25:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Did shoot a decent 8pt a few years ago on our land that rarely gets hunted on. His antlers grew tall, and was only a 14" spread
View Quote

Antler restrictions here as well. My 13 point I shot was just barely enough. It was close enough that I had to really contemplate shooting it.

I believe antler restrictions are just about retarded. So we are going to take out the good genetics and leave the retarded 4 year old bucks who will never reach 13'' I understand the idea of letting the bucks mature but Ive seen several bucks that need to be shot based off age but antler restrictions have prevented it.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 12:35:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Antler restrictions here as well. My 13 point I shot was just barely enough. It was close enough that I had to really contemplate shooting it.

I believe antler restrictions are just about retarded. So we are going to take out the good genetics and leave the retarded 4 year old bucks who will never reach 13'' I understand the idea of letting the bucks mature but Ive seen several bucks that need to be shot based off age but antler restrictions have prevented it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly. The rules should be revised somehow to include age not just the rack. I'm no biologist though so I'm sure there are things I've no taken into account about their decision.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 1:06:41 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Exactly. The rules should be revised somehow to include age not just the rack. I'm no biologist though so I'm sure there are things I've no taken into account about their decision.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or maybe take into account of antler height if the spread is under 13".

But I'm no biologist either.

Or maybe deformed deer, too.

Killed a little 3 PT a couple years ago. Once I got to it and turned it over,  the entire of the face that was away from me was nothing but a huge wart covering the entire left side.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 1:35:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Killed a little 3 PT a couple years ago. Once I got to it and turned it over,  the entire of the face that was away from me was nothing but a huge wart covering the entire left side.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My buddy snuck up on 2 deer and got within 20 yards of them. To get them to bring their head up he whistled and they just stood there. Got a little closer and stomped his foot and again nothing. Almost got within petting distance and they finally looked up. Both were retarded deer and deaf. By retarded I'm meaning they had two on one side and 4-5 on the other. By state law he could not take them so now they are out Bubba humping out in the bottom breeding more Bubba deer. Makes sense huh?
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 1:59:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This year at 3.5.

Most.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 2:56:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Got a smart one this year.  Really not a shooter though.

Link Posted: 11/2/2015 3:13:50 PM EDT
[#15]

That's a first for me.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 3:35:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Gonna use my tried and true buck urine this year again

Too many people try to do as much as they can to not piss near their stand.

I say...why put up with the trouble?

Deer can't tell a human is around by the smell of pee. All they know is that it isn't familiar.

It's like going over to your girls house and you finding an unfamiliar big diesel dually parked on your turf.

Link Posted: 11/3/2015 8:44:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Gonna use my tried and true buck urine this year again

Too many people try to do as much as they can to not piss near their stand.
I say...why put up with the trouble?

Deer can't tell a human is around by the smell of pee. All they know is that it isn't familiar.

It's like going over to your girls house and you finding an unfamiliar big diesel dually parked on your turf.

View Quote

I was over in the deer forum and got Internet commando'd for saying that there is no need for expensive scent lock clothing. My grandfather killed more animals in a year that must of us will kill in a lifetime due to growing up poor and in the 1930s backwoods. He used cigarettes to stay awake and whiskey to stay warm all at the ripe old age of 13. oh the horror!
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 10:17:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Scent lock clothing Hahahah. It's called knowing wind direction. I smoke while I hunt, I've had over a dozen deer less than 25 yds away.  Also when their rutting a buck could give 2 shits when he is on a scent. just my 2 cents from hunting for 30yrs.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 3:04:30 PM EDT
[#19]
The front has the deer up and moving. Seen a handful of bucks and lots of doe since noon.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 5:34:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The front has the deer up and moving. Seen a handful of bucks and lots of doe since noon.
View Quote

Same here.

T-minus 12 hours until alarm goes off!
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 7:55:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Same here.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here.

I'm in a pop up and ready to go. There is lightening all around but it looks to be moving to the south west. I'm starting to hear other hunters driving around so they should push some deer my way.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 8:12:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I'm in a pop up and ready to go. There is lightening all around but it looks to be moving to the south west. I'm starting to hear other hunters driving around so they should push some deer my way.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here.

I have to say I'm jealous of you guys that can be out on opening day before most deer start feelng hunting pressure. I have to wait until Wednesday afternoon before I can get out to a stand.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 8:20:28 AM EDT
[#23]
I got up this morning and saw the lightening and the heavy rain and decide to skip the morning hunt. I wasn't getting soaked or struck by lightening sitting in my open top tripod.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 8:22:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I have to say I'm jealous of you guys that can be out on opening day before most deer start feelng hunting pressure. I have to wait until Wednesday afternoon before I can get out to a stand.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here.

I only recently started hunting opening weekend. I prefer to hunt during the week when the animals feel less pressured and you don't have to listen to a constant convoy of loud trucks and gunshots.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 8:24:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I got up this morning and saw the lightening and the heavy rain and decide to skip the morning hunt. I wasn't getting soaked or struck by lightening sitting in my open top tripod.
View Quote

I wanted to hunt my tripod but thought the same thing so I went to another spot. It must have rained pretty good because the roof and walls of my pop up are soaked through and I just waterproofed it a few days ago.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 8:43:53 AM EDT
[#26]
I've got deer bedded down about 30yds in front of me, just laying out in the rain.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 8:49:47 AM EDT
[#27]
I can't hear shit other than the downpour on the tin roof of my blind and the duck hunters. The rain is so loud I can't wear my electric ear pro.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 8:54:31 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I can't hear shit other than the downpour on the tin roof of my blind and the duck hunters. The rain is so loud I can't wear my electric ear pro.
View Quote

It's loud in my pop up too but it's masking my noise and scent fairly well. Pigs came in and the deer ran right to me, turned and looked at the pigs then left.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 9:15:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 9:20:23 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Y'all are slacking. Pics?

I mean, as long as you're just sitting there...
View Quote

I've tried too dark to not use a flash.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 9:35:04 AM EDT
[#31]
" />
" />
" />
" />
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 4:01:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Had them within ten yards.

Link Posted: 11/7/2015 4:41:48 PM EDT
[#33]
You got doe permits?

I have to wait until thanksgiving before I can pop my doe
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 5:03:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
You got doe permits?

View Quote

We can shoot whatever whenever. I'm waiting until tomorrow to take a doe.
I just got done corning the roads at a different spot than this morning and am hoping a nice buck comes out. The rain is gone and it's pretty warm now so I may be waiting a couple of hours.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 5:22:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I just got done corning the roads at a different spot than this morning and am hoping a nice buck comes out. The rain is gone and it's pretty warm now so I may be waiting a couple of hours.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You got doe permits?

Man, that's first world problems there! Good luck man!

It stopped raining but it's cloudy and windy as hell. I had to upgrade to a carhartt.
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 7:59:40 PM EDT
[#36]
The doe on the right is anorexic
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 10:10:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Spot and stalk to within 30yds and laid him down. I've never shot a buck on opening day.

Link Posted: 11/7/2015 10:13:17 PM EDT
[#38]
With a Fudd gun?

Good shooting man!
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 10:28:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 10:45:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
With a Fudd gun?

Good shooting man!
View Quote

That fudd gun has a lot of history with the ranch. I'm glad to be its owner. The only rifle I baby. I'll have the AR back out tomorrow.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 12:31:49 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 12:41:00 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Nice buck, bro.
 I figure you should have at least one this weekend.  Maybe another one tomorrow.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Nice buck, bro.
 I figure you should have at least one this weekend.  Maybe another one tomorrow.

Yeah I'm not sure what to do now. I still need to kill about 2-3 doe but I have lots of time for that. All the hogs I'm seeing are pretty small. Would like a turkey or two. I may take a cull buck or leave it for a guest.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 8:37:41 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Yeah I'm not sure what to do now. I still need to kill about 2-3 doe but I have lots of time for that. All the hogs I'm seeing are pretty small. Would like a turkey or two. I may take a cull buck or leave it for a guest.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice buck, bro.

How do we get on that guest list?
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 9:20:36 AM EDT
[#44]
Got two does yesterday afternoon. Both shot with Savage Trophy hunter 308 from 100 yards with Varget pushing 168gr Barnes TTSX. One ran 50 yards and one was DRT.

ETA I've got video. Will try to upload it when between now and next weekend
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 6:35:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Just killed a big sow at 600 yards at the deer feeders.

Only deer I saw was a massive buck, about 100 yards past the pigs. However, it's in the neighbors high fence.

Link Posted: 11/8/2015 7:09:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 7:24:19 PM EDT
[#47]
http://s793.photobucket.com/user/mxtaco48/library/Mobile%20Uploads

Still trying to figure out how to imbed.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s793.photobucket.com/user/mxtaco48/embed/slideshow/Mobile%20Uploads"></iframe>

Shot him at 6:30am this morning. Came out of a trail about 50 yards in front of me that I was huntin.  This is my second deer using Hornady Whitetail 150 grain .308 that it dropped the deer where it stood... Both time the exit wound was minimal. You can see the exit wound on the skinned pic. ... Pretty much what the doe I shot looked like. This was in Newton Cty and my lease has a minimum 14" spread.  I was pretty worried when I walked up to him and saw 5 points that I had shot too small of a deer but his spread was 14 1/4.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 7:42:15 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Wow, nice shot.  .308?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Just killed a big sow at 600 yards at the deer feeders.

Only deer I saw was a massive buck, about 100 yards past the pigs. However, it's in the neighbors high fence.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/ermey/media/20151108_161949_zpsegpxxsw7.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v37/ermey/20151108_161949_zpsegpxxsw7.jpg</a>

Wow, nice shot.  .308?

.300 wm
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 9:18:46 PM EDT
[#49]
I have very few deer on our property right now. So I'm going to wait a year or two until the herd grows.

Link Posted: 11/8/2015 9:34:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
http://s793.photobucket.com/user/mxtaco48/library/Mobile%20Uploads

Still trying to figure out how to imbed.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s793.photobucket.com/user/mxtaco48/embed/slideshow/Mobile%20Uploads"></iframe>

Shot him at 6:30am this morning. Came out of a trail about 50 yards in front of me that I was huntin.  This is my second deer using Hornady Whitetail 150 grain .308 that it dropped the deer where it stood... Both time the exit wound was minimal. You can see the exit wound on the skinned pic. ... Pretty much what the doe I shot looked like. This was in Newton Cty and my lease has a minimum 14" spread.  I was pretty worried when I walked up to him and saw 5 points that I had shot too small of a deer but his spread was 14 1/4.
View Quote

Nice. How do you like the mossberg lc? Is it pretty accurate?
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top