Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/9/2015 1:24:49 PM EDT
Hey gents. Im losing a ujoint and carrier bearing on my 2004 Dodge Ram 3500 and im looking for a mechanic near I-30 between Dallas and Texarkana. I had a place in Cleburne look at it and they wanted $4k to install $150 worth of parts. Im south of Dallas now, can anyone recomend a mechanic, or are there any Arf members near by that can point me in the right direction?
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 2:28:16 PM EDT
[#1]
do you need tools?
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 2:58:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
do you need tools?
View Quote

I did but I gotnit covered at a place in Greenville. Thank you for the offer!
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 4:09:00 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Hey gents. Im losing a ujoint and carrier bearing on my 2004 Dodge Ram 3500 and im looking for a mechanic near I-30 between Dallas and Texarkana. I had a place in Cleburne look at it and they wanted $4k to install $150 worth of parts. Im south of Dallas now, can anyone recomend a mechanic, or are there any Arf members near by that can point me in the right direction?
View Quote
What shop in Cleburne did that. I know it wasn't mine.

Link Posted: 10/9/2015 4:21:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rick's Automotive on Main.

Edit: To be clear there was more going on than the $150 in parts. Seemed like nice people, but they basically wanted to overhaul my front end.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 4:28:43 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Edit: To be clear there was more going on than the $150 in parts. Seemed like nice people, but they basically wanted to overhaul my front end.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds like them. Sorry I didn't know you were having problems or we would have fixed is for you. And yes Rick's is one of the most expensive

Shops in town.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 12:56:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Whell. The shop i went to in Greenville charged me $750 for a carrier bearing and front axle shaft ujoint...Whats really great is they didnt do the ujoint and now i have a trans case leak from a damaged seal. Good fucking times. FML.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 10:19:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Whell. The shop i went to in Greenville charged me $750 for a carrier bearing and front axle shaft ujoint...Whats really great is they didnt do the ujoint and now i have a trans case leak from a damaged seal. Good fucking times. FML.
View Quote

They charged you for the u joint but didn't do the work?
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 11:53:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup. I'm not too happy with it, but it's my fault for not carrying enough tools with.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 3:48:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yup. I'm not too happy with it, but it's my fault for not carrying enough tools with.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you not know it was close to failure?
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 4:29:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope, I was going to replace the ujoints, ball joints, bearings, and breaks at the end of this month preemptively so nothing would fail out on the road. But the ujoint took a dump and I found the bad carrier bearing while the truck was on the lift at the first shop. I'm going to have the ujoint and seal replaced tomorrow and limp back home and finish everything else.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 2:26:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Nope, I was going to replace the ujoints, ball joints, bearings, and breaks at the end of this month preemptively so nothing would fail out on the road. But the ujoint took a dump and I found the bad carrier bearing while the truck was on the lift at the first shop. I'm going to have the ujoint and seal replaced tomorrow and limp back home and finish everything else.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I feel for you OP

I just replaced the ball joints on my F350 this past weekend and the carrier bearing on the drivers side 3 weeks ago

Shops want a shit ton of money for the labor. Mrs DoW and I replaced it all ourselves, but I have the luxury of having it at the house and having my Goldwing as backup ride
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 6:25:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like fun. I miss being able to work on my car. I could do simple mechanical stuff before cars went high tech.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 8:11:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Got the ujoint replaced and I'm on my way to California for a delivery. Then is just a short 700 miles home and I'm take a month off.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top