Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2015 11:24:41 AM EDT
Anyone here have know of a proper ADBA breeder of American Pit Bull Terriers in the south TX area? Google is giving way to many inbred, way too much bulldog bastards. My old girl lost her buddy a couple months back and I think it may be time to find her a new buddy. It was hard finding her in VA. Here in TX the breed standard seems even more exaggerated/ignored than anywhere else.

By proper I mean more like:

*NOT*

Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:59:59 AM EDT
[#1]

A pic of the old girl.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 1:33:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Anywhere in TX?
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:09:43 PM EDT
[#3]
They exist but are few and far between. There are too many backyard breeders diluting the gene pool. There used to be a great group of APBT owners in SA but they have disappeared. I had a great trainer I'll PM you her name, she knows all the pit folks and could probably help you out.

My boy isn't pure bred but he's good...sort of.

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 3:00:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Adopt a good one from a good rescue group.  Pibbles have such a hard time in the SPCA/county shelter system.  At least you could get one from a pibble rescue group.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 4:08:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Adopt a good one from a good rescue group.  Pibbles have such a hard time in the SPCA/county shelter system.  At least you could get one from a pibble rescue group.
View Quote

This +1

Lots of good rescue dogs need a home.  Unless you plan to show it, there is usually no need for a pure bred dog.  I've got a bully breed dog that I got from Austin Pets Alive and she is great, especially now that she is 2-1/2 and has mellowed out a little and isn't 110% puppy energy all the time.  She's still active and loves everyone and other dogs and tolerates cats...  hates, hates, hates squirrels though...
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 6:17:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

This +1

Lots of good rescue dogs need a home.  Unless you plan to show it, there is usually no need for a pure bred dog.  I've got a bully breed dog that I got from Austin Pets Alive and she is great, especially now that she is 2-1/2 and has mellowed out a little and isn't 110% puppy energy all the time.  She's still active and loves everyone and other dogs and tolerates cats...  hates, hates, hates squirrels though...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This +1

+2

Anyways, mine is 1/2 choc lab with some pit and ?.  Yours looks far more like mine than a pit...

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 11:33:21 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
+2

Anyways, mine is 1/2 choc lab with some pit and ?.  Yours looks far more like mine than a pit...

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w41/n00g77/Loki_zps7eo3fgni.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This +1

+2

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w41/n00g77/Loki_zps7eo3fgni.jpg

Well dang, I think I may have found one of my adoptees litter mates lol. I'll post a pic tomorrow, the chest marking looks almost identical.

Link Posted: 10/14/2015 2:50:04 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View Quote

Here is the thing. The reason that there are so many "pits" at the pound is due to all sorts of shithead owners that don't take care of their dogs, and often breed them unethically, or worse fight them. With a dog like the APBT, I would prefer to buy from a reputable breeder (which is hard to come by as it is) to ensure that I get a dog bred to the breed standard. This is the best way to ensure you get a dog with the desired temperament. Its a bit more of a gamble with a pound mutt. A mutt that is half bastardized bully breed is still half bastardized bully breed.
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 12:44:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Another vote for rescue.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top