Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/5/2015 1:08:50 PM EDT
Me. Lots.
Supplies seem to be steady, with no lines at the ammo cabinet at Wally World.
I can't find much HP, SP, Poly point, or non steel core HP 223 other than high quality hunting ammo. Nothing wrong with good hunting ammo, I just don't want to use it in my AR at a dollar a holler.
I like the Fiocchi, or American Eagle poly tip at about 50 cents a round. Hornady Steel Match works good for me as well. It shoots almost as well as the high dollar match ammo, for me anyway.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 1:39:24 PM EDT
[#1]
0 ammos
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 1:52:11 PM EDT
[#2]
0 boxes.

I was at Cabela's and Academy over the weekend and noticed that there was no shortage of ammo. I think cooler heads are prevailing because everyone knows Obama is a lame duck for the rest of his term.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 2:02:29 PM EDT
[#3]
None.

I usually just pick up single boxes here and there with cash flow.

I did decide that I wanted one more magazine for my S&W Shield. I already have 6, 3-8 round, 3-7 round. I wanted one more 8. I was getting them off ebay for $24-$25. I went to look on Saturday and they were marked up to $28.

I did order a few off 44mag.com, and their prices are still at $25 + shipping. I need to look if there's anything else I need right now to come out on shipping.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 3:40:22 PM EDT
[#4]

No panic around here...
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 3:58:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 4:55:45 PM EDT
[#6]
well, I did pick up some CCI 22lr quiet today to try, but just 2 boxes.....
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 6:27:39 PM EDT
[#7]

Good to see most have learned you buy ammo BEFORE the potential panic.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 6:51:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Bought none, loaded up about 500 rds more of 9 mm, should last me 2 weeks.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 7:38:13 PM EDT
[#9]
74 pounds.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 8:28:58 PM EDT
[#10]
What year?
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 8:41:34 PM EDT
[#11]
None.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 8:54:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Made a $50 donation to the NRA-ILA but no panic ammo purchases.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 9:29:26 PM EDT
[#13]
I bought some wolf gold 223. Not due to the possible panic but because it was a good deal with ammo can and free shipping included. Didn't take long for them to sell out though with some of the panic buying.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 9:47:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Why? If your refering to the shooting of Christians at the school then  running and panicing would be a bad thing IMO. But thats become the norm.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 9:49:26 PM EDT
[#15]
None.

At the rate I shoot at the moment, I've got about a 10 year supply.

If I get back into competition shooting, I still have about a 1 year supply.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 1:38:25 AM EDT
[#16]
640 rds of ZQI 7.62x51 but that's just because it was on sale and I have a new STG-58 to feed.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 2:18:04 AM EDT
[#17]
600 rounds of .45 ACP because I bought my first 1911.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 4:57:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
600 rounds of .45 ACP because I bought my first 1911.
View Quote

Congrats!
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 5:16:49 AM EDT
[#19]
200 rounds of .45ACP to feed the M10.

I didn't realize there was a panic going on, I was just at an anniversary sale at my LGS and couldn't pass up a good deal on gatteries.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 6:28:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
cool story 14er bro
View Quote
??????
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 9:38:45 AM EDT
[#21]
I bought 200rnds of 12ga Buckshot for some reason.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 10:16:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I bought 200rnds of 12ga Buckshot for some reason.
View Quote
Do you own a 12ga?
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 10:27:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Due to the running of the mouth shenanigans of Billary and our illustrious leader, I went on this morning and loaded up on some various calibers I shoot quite often.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 10:45:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
0 ammos
View Quote

Same
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:03:25 AM EDT
[#25]
0. I did buy me 7 PMAGs. I needed them anyways.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 12:03:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
640 rds of ZQI 7.62x51 but that's just because it was on sale and I have a new STG-58 to feed.
View Quote

Where did you find the ZQI?     All the Wally Worlds around me have been out.  
In a different thread they said the two companies were parting ways so I just assumed the last of it was gone.   No desire to order from them directly - too expensive after shipping.

I know it isn't the most accurate 7.62x51 out there but it shoots well in all my guns and the price couldn't be beat.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 12:32:14 PM EDT
[#27]
I've bought zero ammo since the Oregon tragedy.  

If I could find 7.5x55 Swiss GP11 surplus I'd buy it.

Manduck, AIM Surplus had the ZQI 7.62x51 for $8.99 box on purchase of 32 boxes or more, $9.29 for less than 32.  I've also had good luck with the ZQI in 5.56 and 7.62x51, I haven't found it at a Walmart in 6 months.

Hking
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 7:28:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
0 ammos
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/6/2015 7:45:22 PM EDT
[#29]
None.

I bought a bunch of AE from SWFA in store a while back when they price matched a PSA sale price. Should last me quite a while on top of the stash I had already been building the last 2 years.

I load my own pistol so I can't remember the last time I bought factory ammo for that.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 8:35:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
0. I did buy me 7 PMAGs. I needed them anyways.
View Quote
Why the 7 pmags if not for resale? Real Question.

Is there an available range scenario that I am missing out on? I plan to buy some pags this weekend as well. I want a couple more 20's. I can shoot the 20's from a table, bench, or prone. Do they wear out? I am still in my first year of AR ownership, or close to it give or take a quarter or two. It is a very fun gun to shoot.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 10:14:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Many of us lived through the 1994-2004 Assault Weapon & High Capacity Ammunition Feeding Device Ban.  Many were around before the ban.  Others like me got into ARs and other guns during the ban.  We ended up paying inflated prices for pre-ban magazines and for non-neutered pre-ban guns, or we lived with 10-rounders and neutered post-ban configuration guns.  I remember the emasculated feeling I had when I purchased my first handgun at 21 (Sig 229), and it came with 10rd mags.  And the G19 I bought in '99 with 10rd mags.  Just wasn't right.

At the time, you could expect to pay around $20 for a beat to shit surplus GI mag.  Every once in a while you could find some deals (like when I found several old GI & Colt 20-rounders for around $10-12 at a couple of different pawn shops), but those types of deals weren't very common.  Magpul, Lancer, ETS, etc didn't exist at the time.  The only real alternative mags were Orlites, Thermolds, and RamLines.  Some made do with some of them, but they really weren't all that great.  Other companies like USA Mags and ProMag made "pre-ban" mags, but they were pretty much universally regarded as shit, and I think they just took advantage of folks who didn't know any better.

Full capacity Glock magazines were going for $60-$150 depending on model.  An old non-drop-free G19 mag could be had for around $60-65.  Newer mags or mags for models that were introduced closer to the 1994 ban could easily exceed $100.  Magazines for other handguns such as Sig and H&K were easily over $100.

When the ban lifted in 2004, that triggered many of us to stock up on magazines (along with just about everything else that was affected by the 10-year ban).  The very first thing I did after the ban sunset in 2004 was purchase five LEO-marked Glock 19 15rd magazines.  I've been on sort of a perpetual buying spree ever since.

Magazines in particular are wear & tear items.  They can wear out over time or otherwise become damaged.  Mags can get new springs, followers, and floorplates as they wear or get dinged up, but put a big ol' dent in one, break one, or smash one, and it's pretty much done for.  And now that they're not banned, they're relatively cheap and easy to rat-hole away for a rainy day.  That rainy day could mean replacing your old worn out or damaged mags, or it could mean taking advantage of a panic and flipping them.  I think most of us who hoard them just do so for the sake of hoarding them, however, because we've seen they've been banned before, and we know they can be banned again, and we expect IF there's ever another ban, there won't be any grandfathering or sunsetting.

ETA to answer your original question - No ammo this month so far. Bought a bunch last month, and the month before, and the month before... But October's just getting started.  I do have some parts on they way for another build, but that was spurred on by a damned picture thread on Arfcom, not any recent event.  Like I mentioned above, perpetual buy spree since 2004.  A lot of us are in a position where panics like we saw after Sandy Hook or after the presidential elections or after this or after that are merely inconveniences to us.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 10:29:40 PM EDT
[#32]
1k Federal bulk .223 , but arranged the ftf before the OR shooting. 25/rd, with two plano boxes.  I missed a deal on some .45 components though.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 11:09:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Many of us lived through the 1994-2004 Assault Weapon & High Capacity Ammunition Feeding Device Ban.  Many were around before the ban.  Others like me got into ARs and other guns during the ban.  We ended up paying inflated prices for pre-ban magazines and for non-neutered pre-ban guns, or we lived with 10-rounders and neutered post-ban configuration guns.  I remember the emasculated feeling I had when I purchased my first handgun at 21 (Sig 229), and it came with 10rd mags.  And the G19 I bought in '99 with 10rd mags.  Just wasn't right.

At the time, you could expect to pay around $20 for a beat to shit surplus GI mag.  Every once in a while you could find some deals (like when I found several old GI & Colt 20-rounders for around $10-12 at a couple of different pawn shops), but those types of deals weren't very common.  Magpul, Lancer, ETS, etc didn't exist at the time.  The only real alternative mags were Orlites, Thermolds, and RamLines.  Some made do with some of them, but they really weren't all that great.  Other companies like USA Mags and ProMag made "pre-ban" mags, but they were pretty much universally regarded as shit, and I think they just took advantage of folks who didn't know any better.

Full capacity Glock magazines were going for $60-$150 depending on model.  An old non-drop-free G19 mag could be had for around $60-65.  Newer mags or mags for models that were introduced closer to the 1994 ban could easily exceed $100.  Magazines for other handguns such as Sig and H&K were easily over $100.

When the ban lifted in 2004, that triggered many of us to stock up on magazines (along with just about everything else that was affected by the 10-year ban).  The very first thing I did after the ban sunset in 2004 was purchase five LEO-marked Glock 19 15rd magazines.  I've been on sort of a perpetual buying spree ever since.

Magazines in particular are wear & tear items.  They can wear out over time or otherwise become damaged.  Mags can get new springs, followers, and floorplates as they wear or get dinged up, but put a big ol' dent in one, break one, or smash one, and it's pretty much done for.  And now that they're not banned, they're relatively cheap and easy to rat-hole away for a rainy day.  That rainy day could mean replacing your old worn out or damaged mags, or it could mean taking advantage of a panic and flipping them.  I think most of us who hoard them just do so for the sake of hoarding them, however, because we've seen they've been banned before, and we know they can be banned again, and we expect IF there's ever another ban, there won't be any grandfathering or sunsetting.

ETA to answer your original question - No ammo this month so far. Bought a bunch last month, and the month before, and the month before... But October's just getting started.  I do have some parts on they way for another build, but that was spurred on by a damned picture thread on Arfcom, not any recent event.  Like I mentioned above, perpetual buy spree since 2004.  A lot of us are in a position where panics like we saw after Sandy Hook or after the presidential elections or after this or after that are merely inconveniences to us.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No ammo for me. This covers the mags exactly. I'm not going to be buying mags at inflated prices the next time there is a scare or real ban. Lots of mags stored away for every type of firearm I have. If I run across deals I buy a few here and there.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 6:07:16 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My magazine purchases have mostly been a situation where I forgot to bring magazines to the range. I have only had problems with one. What is a estimated round count out of the pmags, and factory stag steel mags? The one  that failed was a steel 5 round brand x of some kind, 1/2 steel, 1/2 poly.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 8:00:40 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
My magazine purchases have mostly been a situation where I forgot to bring magazines to the range. I have only had problems with one. What is a estimated round count out of the pmags, and factory stag steel mags? The one  that failed was a steel 5 round brand x of some kind, 1/2 steel, 1/2 poly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It really depends on how you treat them. I don't think there's any hard-and-fast rule for estimating mag life.

If you handle them carefully, replace springs as needed, etc., they last a very long time.

If you eject them into a rock and bend/break/dent the body, they can last an extremely short period of time.

I lived through the ban, but I only have 13 PMAGs. I figure that's more than I can easily carry, and I can spend enough time at the range to cause heat damage to my barrel without reloading. Good enough for me.

ETA: Handgun mags are different. Get extras of those...especially carry mags. Don't want to run out of full capacity carry mags.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 9:33:35 AM EDT
[#36]
I had to go to Walmart last night for some stuff. I've made it a point to at least walk through sporting goods now looking for anything on clearance. It's the closest Walmart to the Fusion gun range, so usually it's picked over. I asked the lady if they had any Perfecta 9mm and she did. She said it had actually rolled back from $11 to $10. Sure enough $9.97 a box. She said all of it had rolled back a dollar. I don't have a bunch of spare cash right now, but I bought two boxes to add to the pile. That's the cheapest I've seen in a LONG time.

Link Posted: 10/7/2015 11:30:11 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I had to go to Walmart last night for some stuff. I've made it a point to at least walk through sporting goods now looking for anything on clearance. It's the closest Walmart to the Fusion gun range, so usually it's picked over. I asked the lady if they had any Perfecta 9mm and she did. She said it had actually rolled back from $11 to $10. Sure enough $9.97 a box. She said all of it had rolled back a dollar. I don't have a bunch of spare cash right now, but I bought two boxes to add to the pile. That's the cheapest I've seen in a LONG time.

View Quote
Do you ever use the Federal aluminum in 9 or 45? Never a miscue for me.
Now that I said that, next time out one will boink a gun.

The Federal 100 pack of 230 45 brass is only $27.97 Smells like burning wet leaves for some reason to me.

Link Posted: 10/7/2015 11:41:51 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

It really depends on how you treat them. I don't think there's any hard-and-fast rule for estimating mag life.

If you handle them carefully, replace springs as needed, etc., they last a very long time.

If you eject them into a rock and bend/break/dent the body, they can last an extremely short period of time.

I lived through the ban, but I only have 13 PMAGs. I figure that's more than I can easily carry, and I can spend enough time at the range to cause heat damage to my barrel without reloading. Good enough for me.

ETA: Handgun mags are different. Get extras of those...especially carry mags. Don't want to run out of full capacity carry mags.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My AR gets slow fire range use only at this time. That is all that they allow where I shoot. Carpeted benches. Never dropped a mag. I have a Troy "battlemag" that came with my forend. Seems OK. I use it at home at ready and full. At ranges I use the 10 or 20 round pmags. I can use a low bipod with either of those. Those are very easy to clean compared to all of my other mags for any guns.
I look forward to my first 30 round mag dump if and when I get the chance
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 11:44:46 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

The Federal 100 pack of 230 45 brass is only $27.97 Smells like burning wet leaves for some reason to me.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't know Federal made any aluminum. I've shot the Blazer in the past when I find it cheap, otherwise I try to get brass cases if it's close to the same price because I reload a bit. I put 2 boxes of Perfecta through my Shield after I put 100rnds of WWB through it. Not a hiccup. I bought a 50rnd box of Federal ball/brass somewhere for like $11-$12 to keep in the truck for get home ammo.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 4:02:36 PM EDT
[#40]
None

I need 9mm though.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 5:44:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Ammo: 0

Guns: 3

Suppressors: 2

Not due to any sort of panic, though.

Link Posted: 10/7/2015 6:04:24 PM EDT
[#42]
None.  

I could use another 20 or so AR mags....
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 11:02:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Ammo: 0

Guns: 1

Barrels: 1
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 1:50:09 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

In a different thread they said the two companies were parting ways so I just assumed the last of it was gone.   No desire to order from them directly - too expensive after shipping.

I know it isn't the most accurate 7.62x51 out there but it shoots well in all my guns and the price couldn't be beat.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Aim Surplus has it for $8.99 a box if you buy a case of 32 boxes. I figured after shipping and since there is no tax I saved over $30 from what I've been paying at Walmart.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=A308ZQI
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top