Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/28/2015 3:28:34 PM EDT
Anyone know of anywhere around Houston that does this kind of cooking?
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 3:49:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Is this like those clam bakes my wife occasionally talks about?  The ones up in New Yawwk.  
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 4:33:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Are you a native Texan?

In all my time I spent in east Texas I never had someone say low country.  I am familiar with the term all along the east coast.

Are you trying to ask about a crawfish boil?
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 5:05:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are you a native Texan?

In all my time I spent in east Texas I never had someone say low country.  I am familiar with the term all along the east coast.

View Quote

Have you googled low country clam bake?

I did.

I can't tell if it's Yankees, or Canadians, or both.  

I don't know about you, but right now, I'm thinking about reaching for something cold and shiny., and it's not a Coors light can.  
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 5:38:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I did.

I don't know about you, but right now, I'm thinking about reaching for something cold and shiny., and it's not a Coors light can.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are you a native Texan?

I did.

You can find the term in North and South Carolina too.  What even more funny then the low country term is asking a Yankee what BBQ is.  They think anything cooked on a grill is BBQ.  I had to explain to a few that hot dogs and burgers are not.   I have also dealt with yankies that think soft tacos are fajitas then listen to them argue about it when you try and correct them.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:08:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I used to get these near Rockport and Corpus Christie.
Crawfish are out of season.
This is pretty much the same thing but boiled crab, mussels, clams,
shrimp, potatoes and corn.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 1:06:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

I am thinking if someone told you the term low country they are not from around here or they got the term from watching the food network to much as I can never remember it being used in any part of Texas that I have been to.

I also can't ever remember clams being popular in any boil I have been to in Texas.

But I may also be wrong as what they used to call Texas / outlaw / progressive country is now being called Red Dirt .  That term was never used when I was younger
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 2:04:00 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I am thinking if someone told you the term low country they are not from around here or they got the term from watching the food network to much as I can never remember it being used in any part of Texas that I have been to.

I also can't ever remember clams being popular in any boil I have been to in Texas.

But I may also be wrong as what they used to call Texas / outlaw / progressive country is now being called Red Dirt .  That term was never used when I was younger
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This.

Boil not bake.

Low country---WTF?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:39:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Been in Houston since I was 4, 39 years ago.  Did 3 years of chemo/radiation at MD Anderson, the reason we came.
My Illinois mom calls it a Clam Bake, my South Carolina grandmother calls it a seafood boil, my paramedic counterpart
is homegrown in Metairie, LA and calls is a low country boil.  Joe's Crab Shack calls it a Steampot.

So what the fuck do YOU call it?  No one has offered any other names for it.  It isn't a crawfish boil if there are no crawfish!
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:03:04 PM EDT
[#9]
And come to think of it, I really don't care what you call it.  I just want to know where the hell I can get
a good one that is not at my house or a shitty place like Joe's.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:10:23 PM EDT
[#10]
I suppose the trick is to know what to ask for...

Last time I was in Houston we went to the ragin cajun on Richmond Ave.
It was not bad.
One thing I always note is the parking lot.
It was full, indicating to me that they must be doing something right.

Someone else may check in with a better suggestion.

What you are looking for is simply called boiled seafood.

Now, if you want to know where to get seafood in Metairie, where I lived for about 50 years, I can help you with that as well.

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:10:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
And come to think of it, I really don't care what you call it.  I just want to know where the hell I can get
a good one that is not at my house or a shitty place like Joe's.
View Quote

most any Cajun place I would say.. And I just always called it a boil
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 8:26:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Try Kemah, Seabrook places. Born and raised here We don't have clams, lobster,mussels. We do have shrimp, blue crab, oysters, and crawfish. Never ever heard "low country " used in Texas or La. Most of the time it's called a crab boil or shrimp boil.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:12:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Been in Houston since I was 4, 39 years ago.  Did 3 years of chemo/radiation at MD Anderson, the reason we came.
My Illinois mom calls it a Clam Bake, my South Carolina grandmother calls it a seafood boil, my paramedic counterpart
is homegrown in Metairie, LA and calls is a low country boil.  Joe's Crab Shack calls it a Steampot.

So what the fuck do YOU call it?  No one has offered any other names for it.  It isn't a crawfish boil if there are no crawfish!
View Quote

Why don't you call it a cookout?  I know you don't want to cook any of that stuff in the house.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 12:35:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Why don't you call it a cookout? I know you don't want to cook any of that stuff in the house.
View Quote

Sure you do ! I've only cooked small quantities in the hose. The house smells like crab boil seasoning !
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 2:04:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Sure you do ! I've only cooked small quantities in the hose. The house smells like crab boil seasoning !
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Why don't you call it a cookout? I know you don't want to cook any of that stuff in the house.

Did all the neighborhood cats come over for a visit too?
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:24:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

So what the fuck do YOU call it?
View Quote

Bugs in a Bucket.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top