Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/26/2015 10:12:59 PM EDT
So I came here early this year to ask advice and opinions on moving to Dallas for my company. Got lots of good advice and input both public and private...

So after an I initial trip with the wife in April to get some ideas where she would like, we were leaning heavily towards McKinney...but a wild card sort of popped up when we found Wylie..

The amount of house for the money seems to be much greater thete....so we found a house we both agreed was pretty close to perfect  (the only thing I would have really had was a pool...but we can always put one in), and are putting a bid in...got the fingers crossed!

Should make the final move just after labor day if it all falls into place...

Any input on the choice...any guys live in Wylie? In any case, can't wait for the move, and officially becoming a Texan. I guarantee I will cancel out some dippy hippy in Austin...
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 10:20:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So I came here early this year to ask advice and opinions on moving to Dallas for my company. Got lots of good advice and input both public and private...

So after an I initial trip with the wife in April to get some ideas where she would like, we were leaning heavily towards McKinney...but a wild card sort of popped up when we found Wylie..

The amount of house for the money seems to be much greater thete....so we found a house we both agreed was pretty close to perfect  (the only thing I would have really had was a pool...but we can always put one in), and are putting a bid in...got the fingers crossed!

Should make the final move just after labor day if it all falls into place...

Any input on the choice...any guys live in Wylie? In any case, can't wait for the move, and officially becoming a Texan. I guarantee I will cancel out some dippy hippy in Austin...
View Quote

I lived in Wylie.  Biggest drawback is you are 20 minutes from the nearest freeway.  Firewheel Town Center is a huge shopping center in Garland about 20 minutes away... Not bad.  
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 10:24:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah...commute was a concern...but it seems like it was a wash with McKinney...McKinney is further west...but further north in relation to our office....schools also were a huge factor for our 5 year old....Wylie seemed to have it all, except the commute...but I'll live with it for the house we are getting...

Oh, and it's only two blocks from Dodd for our son...which is nice...
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 10:45:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I just move out of Wylie. It's growing so fast it's not funny. We were in the neighborhood across from the walmart on 78. We sold as soon as we heard they were building the trucking yard next door. The pluses are it's a pretty easy commute to the highway but loooong in the morning. You can cut through towards 75 but depending on time of day a million other folks are doing the same thing. My wife still teaches there for now. We have been so much happier once we moved out to the back side of rockwall. Very quiet neighborhood and I have my night sky back mostly.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 7:15:07 AM EDT
[#4]
You will be close to the Garland Shooting Range. Go early. It gets crowded.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 7:25:56 AM EDT
[#5]
And go in the middle of the week, good chance you'll have the place to yourself on the rifle side. Pistol lanes almost always busy.  But no fmj last time I was there.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 9:44:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Maybe we'll be neighbors! We're looking at Wylie as my wife got a job there teaching at Wylie HS. Like you we looked at all areas and found that you can get more house for the money around Wylie. Rockwall is also an option for us though. Welcome to the area!
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 3:33:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 4:08:21 PM EDT
[#8]
That's not a bad choice. I've never lived in Wylie, but I grew up close to it and worked there for a while. It's a quiet place and not expensive. Let us know when you get settled in, and keep an eye on this sub-forum, as there are occasional local meetups.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 7:33:32 PM EDT
[#9]
I didn't realize there were so many arfcomers in the area. May need to have a cook out or something to meet some of you in person.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 10:01:24 PM EDT
[#10]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yeah...commute was a concern...but it seems like it was a wash with McKinney...McKinney is further west...but further north in relation to our office....schools also were a huge factor for our 5 year old....Wylie seemed to have it all, except the commute...but I'll live with it for the house we are getting...

View Quote
Really? You are literally in my neighborhood then.

Link Posted: 7/27/2015 10:22:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Armadillo Guns in Lavon, way less tards than Garland Public. Less than stellar rules, but can shoot FMJ out to 200.
View Quote

Yep, no magnum handguns  

Welcome to Wylie.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:29:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Welcome to Wylie!     When you get settled in let’s get together and have a beer!
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 1:22:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Welcome to Wide Awake Wylie!!!

Also, I left Buffalo New York to come to the Great State of Texas!!!
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 1:43:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Welcome to Wide Awake Wylie!!!

Also, I left Buffalo New York to come to the Great State of Texas!!!
View Quote

Hmm, ironic, me too....live in Lancaster right now, house is sold, closing scheduled....on the verge of signing contract down here...and hopefully everything goes good, and we'll be moving in right after labor day....

Where in Buffalo you from? I used to live in south Buffalo before we bought our house in Lancaster....
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:05:20 PM EDT
[#15]
I lived in the West side and went to Grover.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:57:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Congrats on your upcoming move. I have lived in Wylie for 7 years now and it's great. It's growing but still has some small town charm. PM me if I can be of any help for questions. Fishing is pretty good at Lake Lavon too
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:06:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Small world....I'm in the neighborhood across from McMillan Junior High. My kids go to Dodd. We should do a meet n greet BBQ

Link Posted: 9/6/2015 6:41:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Well, unfortunately, our closing up here got pushed a week, we were supposed to close Sept. 3rd up here, Sept. 8 down there....Of course being in F'ed up NY, things don't work like everywhere else...so because of incompetence/sloth on the part of our buyers lender...its going to cost us at least $600 extra due to pushing everything.

The house is packed, they were going to load the truck last Wednesday...now we pushed that to Thursday...hopefully, barring anything stupid, we close on Friday, do the final packing (guns, etc in the Penske), final clean, and Saturday morning we leave for Wylie...My wife in my Outback, me driving the Penske...

Should be there Sunday night, and hope to close on Monday....then hopefully the movers will be there relatively quick to unload...

I could use a hand unloading the Penske...I have a lot of guns and ammo that need to go upstairs.......I'll spring for beer and bar-b-que....

So fingers crossed, in a week we should be there...but I am still in NY, so who the heck knows....

Hope I didn't jinx things just by opening my mouth....

God, I can't wait to be a Texan....
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 9:27:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
You will be close to the Garland Shooting Range. Go early. It gets crowded.
View Quote

That is not really a plus, the place is really retarded and insane on weekends. I no longer frequent it preferring "B Tactical" in Caddo Mills.

Vince
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 11:16:42 PM EDT
[#20]
I  might be able to help a bit, depending on my schedule.
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 8:36:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Post I a date and time, I should be able to help you unload if you still need it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 6:34:59 PM EDT
[#22]
I maybe able to help too. Just let me know time and place.
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 7:16:49 PM EDT
[#23]
When Wylie gets too crowded, Blue Ridge is just north on 78 a few miles.
So Mayberry it doesn't even have a police department. Or much of anything else, for that matter.
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 11:01:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
So Mayberry it doesn't even have a police department. Or much of anything else, for that matter.
View Quote

The Cattleman's Café in Blue Ridge serves a nice breakfast and the old woman that works there is a hoot once she gets to know you.

Vince
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 8:31:23 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

The Cattleman's Café in Blue Ridge serves a nice breakfast and the old woman that works there is a hoot once she gets to know you.

Vince
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Vince

Chicken fried steak isn't bad either and the pies are great.
Yeah, the staff can be a bit surly.
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 11:39:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Thanks guys, I sure could use a little help if I can get it....I will let you know, since, unfortunately, in the great (ie shitty) state of NY, no one can actually TELL you when closing will happen, they just make it up as they go....BUT if things work out, hopefully (fingers crossed...) next Monday or Tuesday afternoon/evening...

The stress is so bad right now, my heads about to explode...although I did go out for a final range day/cookout at my buddy's place yesterday afternoon, which was fun....
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 11:34:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 10:09:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Just checkin in......anyword on when you be here?
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 5:44:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Closed on house today, Penske is already sitting in driveway, just waiting on final approval on signed docs from lender and title company...hopefully very shortly...will at least unload Penske into garahe, first floor tonight...furniture and stuff from movers gets delivered Saturday....thought this day would never cone!

Free at last, free at last, thank God almighty, free at last....

ETA It's been crazy since last weekend to say the least...monday we packed up the Penske...up till midnight, next morning up at 5:00, on road at 630....drove to Nashville, stopped there, yesterday arrived in Allen, this morning wired money to title co, closed at 2:00...but still waiting on final word...
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 6:02:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Closed on house today, Penske is already sitting in driveway, just waiting on final approval on signed docs from lender and title company...hopefully very shortly...will at least unload Penske into garahe, first floor tonight...furniture and stuff from movers gets delivered Saturday....thought this day would never cone!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please help us keep it free and tell your friends it sucks down here

Edit: it is normal to have blood run out of steaks and Fajitas that are cooked right.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 12:51:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Edit: it is normal to have blood run out of steaks and Fajitas that are cooked right.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't worry, I only do rare. And I like brisket better than pulled pork now....

So settling in, first day in the new office today....

Yesterday made my first Texas gun purchase...actually a very nice, correct (!) Irish shipment Enfield No.I Mk. I*** I found on our last house hunting/buying trip...put it on layaway so I could pick it up when the move was done, got my Texas license Monday (by the way, the DPS office in Plano is Hell...) so figured I'd grab it yesterday while I was off...

Found it at Winchester Gallery in Ft Worth....great place for a guy who likes old guns like me (although they had plenty of new stuff too), friendly people, great service, can't complain! First time I did an E-4473...pretty easy and simple, and no mistakes and crossouts! Kind of surprised no delay with the major change in address, but hey, I ain't complaining.

Interdasting too, one can simply purchase a pistol by having a license, doing the 4473, and walk out with it immediately...no fuss, no muss, no permit, no coupon you have to take to the permit office, then come back later and pick up gun...weird culture shock....any wonder why I love this state?
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 1:27:06 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Yesterday made my first Texas gun purchase...actually a very nice, correct (!) Irish shipment Enfield No.I Mk. I*** I found on our last house hunting/buying trip...put it on layaway so I could pick it up when the move was done, got my Texas license Monday (by the way, the DPS office in Plano is Hell...) so figured I'd grab it yesterday while I was off...

Found it at Winchester Gallery in Ft Worth....great place for a guy who likes old guns like me (although they had plenty of new stuff too), friendly people, great service, can't complain! First time I did an E-4473...pretty easy and simple, and no mistakes and crossouts! Kind of surprised no delay with the major change in address, but hey, I ain't complaining.

Interdasting too, one can simply purchase a pistol by having a license, doing the 4473, and walk out with it immediately...no fuss, no muss, no permit, no coupon you have to take to the permit office, then come back later and pick up gun...weird culture shock....any wonder why I love this state?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Go to the DPS megacenter in Garland from now on. Its a bit further drive, but I was in and out in less than 30 minutes last time I was there.

Link Posted: 9/23/2015 3:41:37 PM EDT
[#33]
my sister lives in Wylie and teaches in the Allen ISD. She loves it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top